PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware - Hennig dealer!

bigredmare
May. 4, 2011, 06:35 PM
Buyer Beware!! A very popular Saddle shop/fitter/dealer in FL sold our $6500 custom brand new HENNIG saddle on consignment and then filed bankruptcy and never paid us for the saddle. They are operating their business under a new name now.

spirithorse
May. 4, 2011, 07:32 PM
file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General and provide the new biz name................

XHalt
May. 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
That's horrible! I was wondering about the name change.

mickeydoodle
May. 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
I am sorry for your troubles, they have always been difficult to deal with in my experience.

SerenaGinger
May. 4, 2011, 11:04 PM
Is this the company that spells their new name "Dreesage" on the "contact us" page? If so, I had to file a complaint with my credit card company about them two years ago. They measured for an item that was supposed to be custom made; it turned out to be off the rack (but custom-priced), didn't fit, and they didn't want to refund or make it right at all. I got my money back, I'm sorry you didn't.

Valentina_32926
May. 5, 2011, 10:03 AM
Is this the same company that was selling supposedly "Hennig" saddles (around Welly world) which in fact were look alikes and not real Hennig's?

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
May. 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
Can we have some names so we know who to stay away from??

joiedevie99
May. 5, 2011, 11:17 AM
Did you file a police report for your stolen saddle?

Halfling
May. 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
This used to be Euro American Saddlery and was based in NJ. When they were in the northeast and had a booth at Dressage at Devon they were excellent to deal with. At that time Charlie and Romy Tota owned it. They have since divorced and I believe Charlie remarried and relocated to Florida. I don't know who the current owner of the store is, but the eurodressage website lists "Dreesage Connection" under contacts.

AC
May. 5, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have never understood why Hennig has hung in for so long with this place as their sole USA Representative.... there has been controversy surrounding them for years!...

scubed
May. 5, 2011, 04:19 PM
Not an official rep, but has Hennig saddles and I have had good luck and very pleasant and professional dealings with:
http://www.mahtowameadows.com/categories.php?category=216&osCsid=9068d55e80bf0af980a76f06f0ab6d86

She takes consignment saddles also

Calhoun
May. 5, 2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up . . . I hope you get this resolved and your money back.

opel
May. 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
Yep, I sent a Hennig there for re-flocking (complete flocking change). Came back worse fitting than when I sent it. In a way, I understood that...or at least forgave it because it would be hard to fit a saddle on a horse that isn't in front of you. I was furious when I took the saddle to a local master saddle fitter and was told that the flocking had NOT been replaced at all. I ended up having to pay the local fitter for another flocking replacement (at least she showed me, right there, the OLD and USED up flocking she was pulling out of the saddle). They were too difficult and eventually I just gave up any idea of a refund ----because it was taking more of my time than it was really worth and the ugliness and lies were sending my blood pressure into the stratosphere.

Cowgirl
May. 7, 2011, 04:18 AM
Wow. I bought a new Hennig Sofa from them (had to send the first one back to get a better fit and had no problem getting the correct one) and they did a good job fitting my horse from a distance, although the fit did have to be tweaked locally. A few years later, when my horse developed, they did a great job widening the tree and reangling the panels and such, although it took way longer than they had told me it would.

I have to say I've had problems dealing with all the high end saddle dealers and found this Hennig dealer to be the easiest to deal with of all, that is if you speak to him directly and not his wife or anyone who works for him.

As for the bankruptcy issues...so sorry about that. :(

bigredmare
May. 7, 2011, 06:33 AM
We ordered the saddle from them, paid for it in full, and when it came in it didn't fit the rider or the horse at all. Couldn't be fixed and they wouldn't do anything about it. Mind you this is a $6500 saddle. So they offered to sell it for us for a 25% commission fee. We left the saddle with them to sell. They sold the saddle, never told us, and filed bankruptcy and now they don't have to give us the money for the saddle. They opened up the same business under a new name. The lawyer said we aren't the only ones this happened to. I'm just letting people know so they don't make the same mistake we did. We lost a lot of hard earned HONEST money.

AlterBy
May. 7, 2011, 07:09 AM
F.U.Q.

Why haven't you post this BEFORE...like 5-6 months ago...
Should I call directly Hennig in Germany and ask what is going on with my order?

Plain Jane
May. 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
We ordered the saddle from them, paid for it in full, and when it came in it didn't fit the rider or the horse at all. Couldn't be fixed and they wouldn't do anything about it. Mind you this is a $6500 saddle. So they offered to sell it for us for a 25% commission fee. We left the saddle with them to sell. They sold the saddle, never told us, and filed bankruptcy and now they don't have to give us the money for the saddle. They opened up the same business under a new name. The lawyer said we aren't the only ones this happened to. I'm just letting people know so they don't make the same mistake we did. We lost a lot of hard earned HONEST money.

:eek::eek::eek: WOW! That is horrible! I hope you can get to the bottom of this and get your money back. :(

mickeydoodle
May. 8, 2011, 12:46 AM
hennig was nice to correspond with on e-mail, but my own tale of woe, with $>5----sDDLE was an experience that I will never never never never repeat

mickeydoodle
May. 8, 2011, 12:55 AM
ps-Hennig in Europe did nothing to help me with the problem here in the US- despite their relationship with the above mentioned dealer

dalpal
May. 8, 2011, 08:36 AM
marking this saddle maker off of my list of saddles to try.

Thank you for sharing your stories...this was a saddle company that I was very interested in......no more.

Kelly in NJ
May. 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
Hennig saddles are great; just buy a used one from a private person on eBay like I did and have it fitted by your local trusted saddle fitter. LOL!

alto
May. 8, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yes but don't expect the manufacturer to stand behind any tree, leather, construction warranties :no:
Hennig Europe should've made the non-fitting custom ordered saddles :eek: right even though they were not in a position to offer monetary refunds, afterall they established this company as an authorised distributor :rolleyes:

dalpal
May. 10, 2011, 06:56 PM
Yes but don't expect the manufacturer to stand behind any tree, leather, construction warranties :no:
Hennig Europe should've made the non-fitting custom ordered saddles :eek: right even though they were not in a position to offer monetary refunds, afterall they established this company as an authorised distributor :rolleyes:

Exactly.....I won't spend thousands of dollars with a company that I know did not stand behind their product and wronged so many buyers. Don't care how wonderful they are. Those saddles are pretty darn pricey for such shitty customer service. :no:

magienoire
May. 11, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wow that is horrible. I was considering using that shop to order my Konig boots when mine finally need replacement, but I'm not thinking that way any more!

Good luck, I hope you get your $$$ back.

suzy
May. 13, 2011, 09:30 AM
I think people need to make the distinction between Hennig and the distributor in question to be fair. Hennig is probably chagrined (to say the least) by what has happened with this distributor, but it's very tough for them being in Germany to be able to handle the situation effectively.

Hennig makes very, very good saddles. I would buy one again, but I would buy it in Germany, which is how I purchased the one I have now. They provide detailed information on measuring your horse and yourself, so you really can get an exact fit. I had the benefit of having a German neighbor to talk with them, so that helped. If you live near a university, you can easily find someone to make the call(s) for you so that nothing is lost in translation.

Magienoire, for boots I would recommend Dressage Extensions. They have been great about sending me boots to try on (not ride in) to be sure of the size and then taking them back when needed and replacing with correct size. Their customer service is excellent.

ToN Farm
May. 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hennig is probably chagrined (to say the least) by what has happened with this distributor, but it's very tough for them being in Germany to be able to handle the situation effectively. But why then do they keep him as the only distributor? I have been told that another tack store wanted to sell the Hennig's, but this store seems to have an exclusive on them. Why?

Also, if there was a bankruptcy involved, more than the OP has been affected. Why can't I find anything about the bankruptcy anywhere, yet there are several articles written about the new store and the new 'partner' (Mike Davis, who happens to be a sponsor/owner of Cesar Parra's Pan Am hopeful.)

alibi_18
May. 13, 2011, 02:04 PM
But why then do they keep him as the only distributor? I have been told that another tack store wanted to sell the Hennig's, but this store seems to have an exclusive on them. Why?

Also, if there was a bankruptcy involved, more than the OP has been affected. Why can't I find anything about the bankruptcy anywhere, yet there are several articles written about the new store and the new 'partner' (Mike Davis, who happens to be a sponsor/owner of Cesar Parra's Pan Am hopeful.)

The bankruptcy seems to have happen more than 2 years ago. Actually, I don't understand why BigRedMare brought that topic here...just to complain about an issue that happen 2years ago? I understand that it was a $$ deal but I'm sure there is two sides for that story.

I have a few questions for BigRedMare :

Why the saddle couldn't be fixed? and what was the fitting issue? What was their excuse for not being able to fix the problem?

How long, after giving them the saddle to sell, did you checked with them to see if they had sold the saddle?
How long did it take for them to sell it?
How did you learn your saddle had been sold?
Do you have a proof of ownership regarding this saddle? (bill of sale, serial#, pictures...)

Who are all the others? I just can't find any complaints anywhere except here...

DownYonder
May. 13, 2011, 02:35 PM
Can someone advise the name of the new business entity? We are saddle shopping at the moment and I want to make sure we avoid doing business with these folks.

FWIW, it also happened to a lady at our barn. Same scenario – custom Hennig bought through EuroAmerican Saddlery, saddle did not fit when it arrived. She sent it back but it took a LONG time to get her money back. She had to threaten legal action to get them moving.

And ToNFarm - so Grandioso's owner is the new business partner? Interesting...

ToN Farm
May. 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
And ToNFarm - so Grandioso's owner is the new business partner? Interesting... Unless there are two wealthy Mike Davis' that are involved with dressage. I guess that is possible.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/panacalvallo-saddles-and-bridles-konig-boots-more-dressage-connection-brings-it-all-together

NorCalDressage
May. 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
Can someone advise the name of the new business entity? We are saddle shopping at the moment and I want to make sure we avoid doing business with these folks.

FWIW, it also happened to a lady at our barn. Same scenario – custom Hennig bought through EuroAmerican Saddlery, saddle did not fit when it arrived. She sent it back but it took a LONG time to get her money back. She had to threaten legal action to get them moving.

And ToNFarm - so Grandioso's owner is the new business partner? Interesting...

Same company.

EuroAmerican is now "The Dressage Connection"

Alibi - There are actually quite a few complaints about the same company. No excuse for the crappy service!

ise@ssl
May. 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
Birds of a feather flock together...........

bigredmare
May. 13, 2011, 06:49 PM
The bankruptcy is recent. We were contacted by their lawyer to let us know that they are bankrupt but we didn't know they sold the saddle. We phoned them and asked to send it back and they said they would, and it never came (2 weeks later). Then we were contacted by their lawyer who said the saddle was sold. This is a current case and we now have a lawyer trying to help us.

The saddle was huge for the rider as well as not fitting the horse without having a new tree put in at our cost. They wouldn't do anything for us so we decided to just sell the saddle as it didn't fit the rider and take the loss. We agreed to give them the 25% commission they wanted to sell our brand new saddle. They had it for about 6 months and yes we have all the paperwork, receipts and the serial number of the saddle. They sold our saddle and kept the money. The lawyer told us there are many other people this happened to. Very disappointing and sad.

ise@ssl
May. 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
And now they just re-invent themselves in the same business? I wouldn't buy a hoof pick from the newly named same store!!

cu.at.x
May. 14, 2011, 05:58 AM
Wow, that really sucks. I hope you get your money back ASAP.

Mahtowagal
May. 23, 2011, 01:03 AM
So sorry that several of you have had problems. I will always carry a nice selection of Hennigs. We have had great success with fitting and tree adjustments with my saddler of choice. Just be aware that going custom isn't the best way for everyone. I have a good friend who went through 4 customs before receiving one that was perfect. It was no financial hardship for her as I sold her saddles quickly here in the US but she had to wait 6-7 months for each one. They certainly do retain their value. I have had customers send them in on consignment and I have sold them for close to what they paid originally. There is no other saddle out there at this point that comes close to the Hennig quality. I hope to be carrying the line along with favorite Dynamite supps for years to come. :) My site was mentioned early on in this thread. Thank you to whomever mentioned it. I appreciate it!

Cowgirl
May. 23, 2011, 04:01 AM
For my prior horse, I had a company (not Hennig) make him a custom saddle. They actually made him TWO custom saddles and the owner of the company came out and personally measured him the second time, and neither one fit him. It took TEN MONTHS for both saddles before I got my money back. Custom saddles don't always fit. In my case, it fit me, not the horse. They just couldn't get a tree to fit him.

dalpal
May. 23, 2011, 05:53 AM
I remember a thread (maybe two) a couple years back talking about the Sofa Titanium tree breaking and the poor customer service from Henning. Don't have time to look that thread up at the moment. It was something like "the 6500.00 mistake".

So, yeah, I'm personally a bit weary of Henning after reading threads like this. What good does it do me to buy from an American rep if the German Co. is falling short on customer service?

alibi_18
May. 23, 2011, 09:04 AM
@Dalpal: why keep bashing on a company that you never had real experience with?
No one is forcing you to buy a Hennig saddle.
Because you heard and read that some people had problems with some reps doesn't mean ALL the customers will have problems...
Hennig don't make 4-5 saddles per year I think...so I guess there should be some happy customers out there...
and problems/ mistakes/misunderstandings can happen to everyone.

If you really doesn't want to have saddle related problems, don't buy any! As you'll find threads of unsatisfied customers for ALL brands, customs or not...

There is always two sides of every stories...

ise@ssl
May. 23, 2011, 09:16 AM
If the Hennig's are such great saddles why have ONE exclusive rep in a country this size? Especially one that as already gone through bankruptcy? It doesn't make any sense. Perhaps some of our German friends on this board can let the Hennig people know that they would sell more saddles here if they didn't have one agent to chose from.

Valentina_32926
May. 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
I had a custom Verhan made for my show mare - fit her and I perfectly the first time out, although I had an older Verhan saddle that fit me perfectly - but even saddle fitter couldn't believe manufacturers had made mares saddle so perfectly (he'd done the measurement himself) that he didn't even have to move any flocking around).

And I second Dressage extensions for boots. Dealing with them is wonderful.

suzy
May. 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
If the Hennig's are such great saddles why have ONE exclusive rep in a country this size? Especially one that as already gone through bankruptcy? It doesn't make any sense. Perhaps some of our German friends on this board can let the Hennig people know that they would sell more saddles here if they didn't have one agent to chose from.

It's likely that Hennig and EuroAmerican had a contract that they felt would be beneficial to both of them. And, it probably was for quite some time. However, when things go wrong, it can take some time to disengage from a bad contract.

I have no idea how big Hennig is, but they may be too small to deal with numerous distributors. The Canadian distributor on this board could probably give us some insight.

Anyway, the saddles really are exceptional and if you want one, call the woman in Canada or buy direct from Hennig. It's not that difficult.

Mahtowagal
May. 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Well I can touch on a couple of the comments made. First of all, I am in the US, not Canada. I may be up north...but not quite that far! I have been selling Hennigs for about 9 years now. I sold the new ones for a short period of time thru EAS. That did not work out well so I have been dealing in just the used or demos since. I do get many that are from Germany that were new customs that did not work out...as mentioned by several. So I do offer "new" Hennigs periodically, just not customs. Regarding the customs not fitting, it's more than that I think. Yes, he can measure and get the right fit according to him...but until you ride on a saddle you simply have NO way of knowing how it's going to feel. There are far too many variables. Seat width, flap position, seat depth, etc. I would never buy a new one myself unless I was allowed a trial. Regarding the broken gullet plates, yes, there was a big problem with the titanium but they quit using that. It was actually related to how the plates were manufactured via Sprenger. It was not a fault of Hennig at all....other than that particular metal did not work out well with their heating and manufacturing practices. As far as buying from someone who is not a rep, I don't see how that makes any difference. There have been people that have purchased brand new saddles and have not been able to get their situations resolved to their satisfaction. There have been thousands of very happy customers both with new and used. As far as Hennig breaking any business relationship with their US distributor, I do not think that will EVER happen. Support those businesses that you're happy with and that offer great customer service to you. That's the only way to keep them around. I'm a small business but I will always have Hennigs available as well as my Dynamite supplements! Can't forget those! My horses have never shown such a dramatic improvement under saddle until I started with the Hennigs and they have never shown such a dramatic difference in immunity/coat/energy until I got them going on the Dynamite!

mickeydoodle
May. 23, 2011, 04:30 PM
I remember a thread (maybe two) a couple years back talking about the Sofa Titanium tree breaking and the poor customer service from Henning. Don't have time to look that thread up at the moment. It was something like "the 6500.00 mistake".

So, yeah, I'm personally a bit weary of Henning after reading threads like this. What good does it do me to buy from an American rep if the German Co. is falling short on customer service?

It was my thread, and no, it was not Hennig that was the problem. I liked the saddle a lot on that particular horse, until the titanium gullet plate broke. It was getting the dealer I bought it from to take care of the problem- or even call me back in a timely fashion. The dealer actually yelled at me about the thread, when he found out about it. They ultimately fixed the saddle. I retired that horse, and for the next horse (Hennig did not fit) had a Custom monoflap saddle made- Cary from Custom was wonderful to work with. No problems getting the saddles to try, easy to work with, adjusts it when I need it. Just had him adjust it in Wellyworld in March.

Also, I had Custom saddlery sell the Hennig for me, they did it quickly, for a reasonable comission (20%) and easily.

Eireamon
May. 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
I have WOW saddles and they tried Titanium gullet plates for a while. I had one snap right as I launched into a medium trot across the diagonal in the middle of a test. The snap was really loud and caused the horse to bolt across the arena.
WOW had this happen several times on people and changed the plates back to steel. They are heavier but far more durable. So I am picking titanium is just not a durable product for saddle use.

ToN Farm
May. 23, 2011, 06:30 PM
As far as Hennig breaking any business relationship with their US distributor, I do not think that will EVER happen. Why? I don't get it. Schleese used EA as their distributor for a while, and that ended.

I thought Hennig's were like Schleese's in that they have a lot of fitting flexibility. I guess I don't understand why those ordered couldn't be made to fit all horses.

If I buy a used Hennig, who is going to adjust it for me when needed? Don't you need a special machine, like for a Schleese? I certainly don't think a Schleese fitter would be keen to work on a Hennig.

marta
May. 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
when euro-american was still located in nj, charlie sold me a used saddle but represented it to be new. the only reason i found out that it was used was b/c i had horrendous saddle fit issues (he recommended the saddle as one which would fit my mare) and had to consult a REAL saddle fitter. when she went to reflock the saddles she discovered the flocking was previously messed with.

Kelly in NJ
May. 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Why? I don't get it. Schleese used EA as their distributor for a while, and that ended.

I thought Hennig's were like Schleese's in that they have a lot of fitting flexibility. I guess I don't understand why those ordered couldn't be made to fit all horses.

If I buy a used Hennig, who is going to adjust it for me when needed? Don't you need a special machine, like for a Schleese? I certainly don't think a Schleese fitter would be keen to work on a Hennig.

Fred from Custom Saddlery in NJ adjusted my Hennig, no problems, and it is a perfect fit.

AlterBy
May. 23, 2011, 07:42 PM
when euro-american was still located in nj, charlie sold me a used saddle but represented it to be new. the only reason i found out that it was used was b/c i had horrendous saddle fit issues (he recommended the saddle as one which would fit my mare) and had to consult a REAL saddle fitter. when she went to reflock the saddles she discovered the flocking was previously messed with.

A saddle can be new and has its flocking moved around to try to fit a different horse...doesn't mean it is 'used', unless you had it custom ordered...and waited 6 months to get it? Even then, it is normal to have the wool moved
Had Charlie try to fit your horse at all? or did you simply went there, bought the saddle as suggested and brought it back home without further fitting sessions? ...and then, had problems? and then blame the fitter who never saw your horse? New saddle should be checked every 6 months or even more because the wool tends to compress a lot at the beginning...just sayin'

And couldn't it be a 'new' unclaimed saddle that he had ordered for someone else, that he thought would have fit your mare according to your description and tracings?

My last name is engraved in the leather, was yours?

And what do you mean by 'messed' with?

Mahtowagal
May. 24, 2011, 01:41 AM
Why? I don't get it. Schleese used EA as their distributor for a while, and that ended.

I have a strong feeling they will remain the US rep. Things could change but I highly doubt it. I really can't post more than that.

I have four saddlers that can adjust the Hennigs. I tend to send most of my customers to one in particular but for my customers in certain parts of the US, I can direct them to others. It's been very easy for my saddler to adjust with a wither tracing and good photos via email. I have to say that the majority of saddles I sell, are purchased already fitting quite well. Adjustments are definitely an option but only about 1 out of 10 end up going that route. My customers tend to just keep trialing saddles until they find a good fit.
Seems like an expensive way to go but that tends to be the way most of my customers choose to go.

Mickeydoodle- I had a similar experience with someone on a forum. I bought my Oldenburg from a seller in the Carolinas and it was misrepresented. The seller had endless positive legitimate testimonials so I had a good feeling about them. Later I found a thread on this forum where several were complaining about this barn and others that have purchased and been sorry later. I told him I should have googled and looked more closely before purchasing. He immediately jumped on me threatening to sue if I posted on that thread!!! I didnt post but would have loved to have said something. :(
As it turned out, the horse is now one of my favs so it turned out ok after all!

bigredmare
May. 24, 2011, 06:53 AM
They sold my saddle that was on consignment and they kept the money. This is so wrong yet they are protected by the bankruptcy laws. Its like they stole my brand new $6500 saddle. We got nothing for it. I don't blame Hennig for this but do question how they can have these people represent their saddles. Actually, I doubt Hennig knows about our case. I can't find any contact info on the Hennig company itself to let them know. If I can get info on how to contact Hennig, I will have our lawyer let them know what is happening. The more I look into it, the more I hear of customers who have been wronged by these people. Why they are still in business is beyond me.

AlterBy
May. 24, 2011, 07:42 AM
They sold my saddle that was on consignment and they kept the money. This is so wrong yet they are protected by the bankruptcy laws. Its like they stole my brand new $6500 saddle. We got nothing for it. I don't blame Hennig for this but do question how they can have these people represent their saddles. Actually, I doubt Hennig knows about our case. I can't find any contact info on the Hennig company itself to let them know. If I can get info on how to contact Hennig, I will have our lawyer let them know what is happening. The more I look into it, the more I hear of customers who have been wronged by these people. Why they are still in business is beyond me.

You've ordered a 6k saddle, were unhappy with the saddle, complained for that long, didn't got back your money and got layers involved and NO ONE ever thought of contacting Hennig directly?!?!

Just google Hennig Sattlerei....really too easy I guess...they do have a website...

Telephone number: (033238) 8056-1 / Fax: (033238) 8056-2
mailto:SattlereiHennig@aol.com

mickeydoodle
May. 24, 2011, 11:27 PM
A saddle can be new and has its flocking moved around to try to fit a different horse...doesn't mean it is 'used', unless you had it custom ordered...and waited 6 months to get it? Even then, it is normal to have the wool moved
Had Charlie try to fit your horse at all? or did you simply went there, bought the saddle as suggested and brought it back home without further fitting sessions? ...and then, had problems? and then blame the fitter who never saw your horse? New saddle should be checked every 6 months or even more because the wool tends to compress a lot at the beginning...just sayin'

And couldn't it be a 'new' unclaimed saddle that he had ordered for someone else, that he thought would have fit your mare according to your description and tracings?

name engraved in the leather (mine was) does not mean that the saddle fits the horse, nor that the dealer will support adjusting problems. Just sayin' I have had the best service of all saddlers from Cary at Custom Saddlery (do not even ask me about George and Equation Saddlery......)

mickeydoodle
May. 24, 2011, 11:29 PM
You've ordered a 6k saddle, were unhappy with the saddle, complained for that long, didn't got back your money and got layers involved and NO ONE ever thought of contacting Hennig directly?!?!

Just google Hennig Sattlerei....really too easy I guess...they do have a website...

Telephone number: (033238) 8056-1 / Fax: (033238) 8056-2
mailto:SattlereiHennig@aol.com

One problem- when I did contact them about the dealer and the custom saddle, they said there was not much that they could do.

AlterBy
May. 25, 2011, 12:48 AM
One problem- when I did contact them about the dealer and the custom saddle, they said there was not much that they could do.

Are you and BigRedMare and Marta the same person? 'Cause I was answering to them. I don't think Marta bought a 'new' custom saddle. I believe BRM has some other issues that are beyond whats been said here. Lots of details missing and in the end, if layers are involved, I think it shouln't even be here...

Well, that is not good to know you had problems as well but it is hard to find a solution on problems that we know nothing about.

So...what do you mean by 'they couldn't do much' ? You mean they could have done something but you weren't please with it?
If no one call, no one say anything to the company and are just whinning over a BB, nothing will change...

Long distance fitting is really hard.
How many people think they can take good measurement of
their horse and themselves...sent it overseas and expect a
perfect fit magicaly...and then blame the saddle maker/fitter for their own mistakes...

maybe they couldn't do much for you, maybe they can do more for BigRedMare...but she hasn't called yet...

Cowgirl
May. 25, 2011, 04:06 AM
Every saddler probably has tales that could be told about it. I had a good experience purchasing and fitting my Hennig through the dealer in question (and later widening, reangled and doing some other work on it as my horse developed). OTOH, I had an unhappy experience with Cary and Custom Saddlery. So there you go.

There are enough Hennigs around that many fitters have learned how to work on Hennigs (they have a layer of foam between the leather and the flocking, to allow the horse to lift it's back, and if a fitter doesn't understand the construction, they can rip the heck out of that foam with their tools) and even some who have learned how to adjust the tree--my fitter is one.

ETA: I have a Hennig Sofa, bought new, and it is now five and a half years old. No problems with the tree. Love the saddle. No ride like it. It just disappears when I am riding.

ise@ssl
May. 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
AlterBy - are you an official representative for Euro or the new Dressage Connections. If you are you should state that up front. Also many of your comments are extremely hard to understand they way they are written.

AlterBy
May. 25, 2011, 04:17 PM
AlterBy - are you an official representative for Euro or the new Dressage Connections. If you are you should state that up front. Also many of your comments are extremely hard to understand they way they are written.

I'm no representative, I'm french. Sorry for the bad english.

ToN Farm
May. 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
Every saddler probably has tales that could be told about it. Yup. For each one that is disliked another person likes them.

Getting a saddle that doesn't fit right and having trouble returning it is one thing. Getting screwed out of 6k is yet another and much less forgivable.

p.s. Alterby, you have a Hennig Princess. Did you buy it from the store we are discussing?

Mahtowagal
May. 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
I have to just say that I've continued selling them because people just LOVE these saddles. My clients are always commenting that there is no other brand quite like it. The customers that trial Hennigs for the first time are amazed. They really are in a league of their own. No other brand comes close and until you ride on one that is a great fit for you, you just can't know the joy! :) While it may be true that the dealer has had his share of problems, the saddles will remain very sought after and most people will put up with whatever customer service they receive. I don't know many who have already ridden on the Hennigs that will say they're switching brands because of customer service issues. I think that might be why Debbie McD. switched, however...now that I think about it. I remember hearing that she loved her Hennig but it was difficult for her to get it adjusted. Most, however, will not switch brands due to customer service difficulties. People will do whatever they can to get these saddles. I'm selling very low on stock right now and have a waiting list and would love to see more consignments coming in. Please spread the word if you know of people trying to sell their saddles!

www.mahtowameadows.com

Cowgirl
May. 26, 2011, 03:36 PM
You'd have to ask Debbie McDonald why she switched and not assume. She had a sponsorship deal with albion, and then Trilogy. Guenter Seidel has endorsed two or three different saddle brands; as has Steffan Peters. I think it just depends on who is sponsoring them.

suzy
May. 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
Yup. Heike Kemmer was sponsored by Hennig and is now under Schleese's umbrella. Courtney King-Dye rode in a Trilogy but went with something else (County, maybe) a while back. Many riders will change saddles according to who is offering the best sponsorship package.

Mahtowagal
May. 26, 2011, 07:24 PM
You'd have to ask Debbie McDonald why she switched and not assume. She had a sponsorship deal with albion, and then Trilogy. Guenter Seidel has endorsed two or three different saddle brands; as has Steffan Peters. I think it just depends on who is sponsoring them.

I wasn't assuming. I was reiterating what I had been told by a client that had asked her years ago what she thought of the Hennigs.

ridergal63
May. 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
I bought my hennig from the group in question. ordered my size, not custom. princess sofa. absolutely love the saddle. dealing with the dealer was neutral. i am still wondering why they are the only dealers in the us. i have had many saddles and still have multiples including passier, wintec, spirig (custom) and i do really like my hennig. but saddles are very personal and you definitely need good customer service!

AC
May. 26, 2011, 08:58 PM
I had heard the same story about Debbie McDonald years ago...that said I know she had a fitter coming there(pretty sure his name was Karsten) for years as I was the fortunate recipient of a saddle that was custom made for someone that did not work(how fateful was that!) I have been hooked ever since...and everyone that has ridden that saddle ends up buying a Hennig too!(I thiink we are at number 6 or 7 now-which doesn't sound like much but I live in Nexttonowhere Rodeoville USA)

Mahtowagal
May. 30, 2011, 07:31 PM
Oh I was not assuming. I was just recalling one of my clients asking Debbie what she thought of the Hennigs. She said she loved them but they were too difficult to get adjusted. Sponsorships make all the difference in the world. I will never forget when Robert Dover wanted Hennig and they wouldn't come through for him. Next thing I knew County was sponsoring him. His students still came to me for Hennigs!

Mahtowagal
May. 30, 2011, 07:33 PM
Sorry I posted twice about the Debbie Mc. thing. For some reason this thread didn't come up the first time around and I thought my first message did not get posted.

Mahtowagal
May. 30, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm not so sure that Heike was "sponsored" by Hennig. Don't quote me on this but I was under the impression that she chose that brand but was not sponsored. I used to buy their second hand saddles from the trainer that worked with several of the German olympians. As I say, I'm not sure about this but through my contacts, I was under the impression that Hennig did not do sponsorships. That was the problem when Dover requested it. As I say, I could be wrong but that's what I've been led to believe over the past 8 yrs or so.

suzy
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:33 AM
Heike may not have been sponsored by Hennig, but they were using her in their ads and their nice 4-color brochure. That was several years ago. Then I noticed she was showing up in the Schleese ads. Anyway, there are all types of sponsorships, as you know, from giving a rider a single saddle to giving them a saddle and some cash, and so on.

oldenmare
Jun. 2, 2011, 10:42 AM
Well, I'm going to jump in here to say that while I've never had any dealings with Charlie or any of his affiliated companies, I HAVE purchased a nicely used Hennig from Mahtowagal.

Her customer service is AWESOME, she is knowledgeable, kind and understanding.

She also wants the best experience for her customer and her/his horse.

And nope, she doesn't have a clue who I am on this board, either, nor was I asked to say anything.

Just adding my $.02 worth because I want to! :)

And Jen - when my 3 yr old matures in a couple of years, I'll be contacting you for another nice Hennig then. Maybe I'll even remember to tell you about this thread then.

OM

3s
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:30 PM
I love reading all of these unqualified 'assumptions'. That's how rumours start. It would be great if people kept to the facts about sponsorships etc or just kept quiet.

marta
Jun. 2, 2011, 03:38 PM
i'm reluctant to respond to an alter but i will for the benefit of others who may be reading this.

according to the saddle fitter it was not the type of flocking
that this saddle maker (Prestige) normally uses. she also said whoever stuffed them was clueless b/c they were so over stuffed they were like giant balloons (hence issues with fit).

when i called euro american to let them know what the saddle fitter discovered charlie became defensive and arrogant and showed absolutely no willingness to try and remedy the situation or at least to make a small gesture in an attempt to preserve relationship with the client (me).

ToN Farm
Jun. 2, 2011, 04:02 PM
showed absolutely no willingness to try and remedy the situation or at least to make a small gesture in an attempt to preserve relationship with the client (me). Likely that was because he didn't value you as a client. I mean, you were not some BNT or student of a BNT. Or maybe you weren't a customer that spent a lot of money in the store.

When Wolfgang was working at the store, I don't think there were any complaints about the saddle fitting. The guy they got after him was a real flake imo. I have no idea who they have now.

I will say that I never had any problems with Euro and I bought a lot of stuff at the store, including two Schleese saddles. I spent thousands there over the years, so I was always treated well.

Mahtowagal
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:04 AM
Oldenmare, Thank you!!! I WILL remember you if you remind me of this thread. I spend most of my board time on my Dynamite forum and FB and not much on this forum. So these threads do stick in my memory.

Jen
www.Mahtowameadows.com
www.Dynamitemarketing.com/mahtowameadows

eyetallion stallion
Jun. 3, 2011, 07:34 AM
Likely that was because he didn't value you as a client. I mean, you were not some BNT or student of a BNT. Or maybe you weren't a customer that spent a lot of money in the store.

When Wolfgang was working at the store, I don't think there were any complaints about the saddle fitting. The guy they got after him was a real flake imo. I have no idea who they have now.

I will say that I never had any problems with Euro and I bought a lot of stuff at the store, including two Schleese saddles. I spent thousands there over the years, so I was always treated well.

Oh.My.Gawd. Did you really just say a customer isn't worth working with or helping unless they are a BNT or student of BNT or like you, have spent thousands at a store?

Supercilious much?

ToN Farm
Jun. 3, 2011, 08:38 AM
Oh.My.Gawd. Did you really just say a customer isn't worth working with or helping unless they are a BNT or student of BNT or like you, have spent thousands at a store? Supercilious much? No, I don't think that at all, but a merchant might. Some trainers might, too.

AlterBy
Jun. 3, 2011, 11:59 AM
i'm reluctant to respond to an alter but i will for the benefit of others who may be reading this.

according to the saddle fitter it was not the type of flocking
that this saddle maker (Prestige) normally uses. she also said whoever stuffed them was clueless b/c they were so over stuffed they were like giant balloons (hence issues with fit).

when i called euro american to let them know what the saddle fitter discovered charlie became defensive and arrogant and showed absolutely no willingness to try and remedy the situation or at least to make a small gesture in an attempt to preserve relationship with the client (me).

But, was it a 'new custom to you' saddle?
Did Charlie fit the saddle on your horse?
Did somebody called Prestige regarding the weird flocking issue?

And really out of curiosity, because it could be good to know what people ask when there is a problem. (or what people can get!) What were you expecting from him? (no need to put $value if you asked for money of course.)

mickeydoodle
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
No, I don't think that at all, but a merchant might. Some trainers might, too.

that certainly was my experience with this merchant- not interested in an ammy, despite waving $$ at them

marta
Jun. 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
this was not a custom saddle. it was a saddle being sold as new from the manufacturer at their store in ringoes. it was represented as such.

charlie did not come out to fit my mare (nor did he suggest that as an option). i was asked to bring in wither tracings and based on those and photos i was told the saddle would fit.

my issue with charlie and his services, is not that the saddle did not fit (turns out my mare is a saddle fitting nightmare b/c of the uneven shoulders and deep shoulder pockets combined with high withers), it's that i was sold a saddle which was not as represented, i.e. NEW. the flocking was previously removed, panels were restuffed. they misrepresented the sale.

as far as what i expected from him, first and foremost, an apology and acknowledgment that something wasn't right. an offer of a small discount on future purchase would have made me happy. i'm sure there were other options which i would have likewise found acceptable.

instead, i got a rude defensive response which turned me off to him and the entire store for good.

i ride in an albion now. semi-custom. fits my mare perfectly. purchased from a local saddle fitter who treats me with respect knowing that it's unlikely that i'll be buying a new saddle from her any time soon. but she also knows that if anyone ever asks me about saddle fitting recommendation or saddle related purchase, i'll be singing praises about her business and that apparently matters to her.