PDA

View Full Version : Kingston trailer frame issues

Loves to ride
May. 4, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I have a 1998 Kingston 2 Horse TB Deluxe with dressing room 2 horse bumper pull trailer. I take great care of it and love the trailer....

But, the frame is rusting.

Has anyone else had this issue?

For the trailer experts out there, what are my options?

Has anyone replaced the frame?

Thanks in advance!

mkevent
May. 4, 2011, 05:38 PM
I would try calling Kingston directly and ask them. They have been very helpful anytime I had questions on any of the Kingston trailers that I've owned.

Hampton Bay
May. 4, 2011, 05:58 PM
Do you use it in the winter? If so, do you hose the underside thoroughly after each use? If not, that's why it's rusting. 13 years is plenty of time for the paint to come off and rust to take hold if the trailer has been exposed to salt.

If you know someone who can weld, you can pull up the floor, repair the supports and frame, prime it with epoxy or take it to have the undercarriage coated, and then put in new floor boards. It's a ton of work, but if you can remove and reinstall the floor, and the existing metal isn't rusted through in too many places, it's not a huge job for a repair shop. The removing and replacing the floor is the pain.

IFG
May. 4, 2011, 07:34 PM
I bought a 1990 Kingston that had a rusting out issue on the rear pillars. The bottom frame was perfect. I had the pillars cut out and replaced by the son of the guy who owns Kingston. He did a very nice job. Had to peel the aluminum skin back to do it. He has an independent trailer body shop in Plymouth. PM me if you are interested.

I am surprised that your 1998 would have a rust problem. I think that I would call Kingston before doing anything. I was the third owner on my trailer, so it was a different story.

Loves to ride
May. 5, 2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I called Kingston and talked with the Production Manager. The owner is supposed to call me back today to discuss and they did mention that the frame could be replaced (to the tune of at least $3k - eek!) And they did mention a place in Plymouth that could do it.

If I do go ahead and have the frame replaced, do I need to be worried about anything? Or can I assume it will be safe for hauling?

I don't haul in the winter often and have done the hosing off and inside as well, and keep it clean and maintained.

The service place said this was an inherent flaw in the design as road stuff gets kicked up into the area and has no place to drain. And hosing wouldn't reach that area. Sigh. (basically told me I was being a good trailer owner.) :)

He won't replace the frame because he says it's such a big job.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and I hope Kingston can help me out. I don't have the $$$ to replace it and I really love the trailer and had hoped it would last me 20 years, not 14...

chai
May. 5, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have a Kingston Brunswick GN that we bought new and I have never heard of this problem. One of the reasons we bought a Kingston is that they have such a reputation for quality and longevity. It is troubling that this may be a problem that they are aware of and never mentioned, as far as a maintenance issue. Hmm.

How did you discover the problem? I may have to brave the spiders and crawl underneath ours this weekend. Did the guy say that it is a particular style or year that has the problem, or is it all Kingstons?

Loves to ride
May. 6, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Chai,

He said he was seeing alot of issues in late 90's models and later. Older trailers are fine but apparently they changed the design in the 90's.

The problem doesn't show up for awhile, which is why I am only seeing it now. He has learned over the years to check for this issue which is why he did so when I just brought it in for my spring maintenance.

The Kingston owner was supposed to call back yesterday but didn't. IFG gave me the name of someone to fix it (thanks IFG!), but it won't be cheap ($3k+ from what Kingston said) Eek! Now I'm trying to figure out if I should replace the frame or find a way to get $$$ for a newer trailer.

Kingston didn't didn't really say it was a known problem, just that they have seen the issue.

I also noticed that my trailer looked pretty much brand new, until this year and then all of the coveriing on the nose and the step up areas just fell off and the metal strips that are decoration along the front are also sagging. This is a sudden development. It's cosmetic but like I said, sudden after looking terrific for years.