PDA

View Full Version : Small vent - fencing

AnotherRound
May. 4, 2011, 03:23 PM
Just a real peeve of mine - you can't anywhere research fencing prices online - What I wouldn't give to be able to look up local fence suppliers, lumber yards and get prices on say 6" locust post - or say per rail black locust or pine 4" posts, what the hell ever, just to price out around what it might cost to fence with a certain material or style, but oh, no, you have to call for a quote, so they can give you a price for the job.

I guess it is useless to ask if anyone has any websites where they actually declare what their prices are? Escpecially in the north east? Dare I ask for Connecticut?

Just frusatrating. I might end up traveling to price out black locust posts and rails, I guess that's what you do.

*le sigh*

MistyBlue
May. 4, 2011, 03:44 PM
If yoou can wait a week or so...call Ramm Fence and ask to have their catalog sent to you. It has a full work sheet in there that helps yoou plan out different types of fencing, exactly what/how much materials are needed, prices of everything, etc. It's an awesome way to budget a new fence of different types.

Or better yet, call Ramm and ask to speak to Veronica. Let her know you need a quote on materials. She'll happily talk you through everything needed for the fencing (or just the parts you want) and the prices for everything. And that's just parts, no labor.

have to say the customer service at Ramm really is second to none. Veronica deserves some sort of medal and a huge fat raise.

Lumber places won't list prices because the cost of product and production fluctuates wildly with fuel prices. Right now they'd be changing their website prices daily. Ring Lumber has prices on their sale stuff in their flyers. So does Lumber Liquidators. But not of everything they carry.

If you call fencing companies you'll get some damned high prices! They sell their labor and then go out and buy materials as needed. Very few will sell you just the materials and if they do, they add a charge to what they're paying for it.

Shagbark also happily gives prices over the phone.

katarine
May. 4, 2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.centaurfencing.com/

prices are all over the website.

BTW, DH is a contractor. Pricing jobs means calling 5-6 suppliers and getting their best price on pipe, fixtures, fittings, wire, etc etc etc. Prices fluctuate and vary from supplier to supplier; there are too many variables in place and insufficient need/desire to protect their competitiveness....to put it all on a website.

Suck it up:. just draw up what you need, and do the work needed to get a quote. You'll survive, promise.

tasia
May. 4, 2011, 06:46 PM
I just called local fencing companies, they came out to the farm quoted prices with and with out materials. They gave me a list of the materials I needed and I faxed that to the lumber co for a quote on materials. It was a good thing they came out because they pointed out things I hadn't thought of.

Nes
May. 4, 2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, it IS very frustrating!!

I was able to find out online the average size a fenced paddock is (we still have to wait to walk it with the measuring thingy to get an absolute accurate number) and then work it out from there.

I think part of the problems is that is that there are SO many variables between different people's fences that makes it hard to quote. How far apart you have your posts, what materials you're going to use, what the elevation is like, etc.

Part of finding the deal IS traveling around & waiting for the sales, we could have saved $$$ buying fencing for the new prop a couple weeks ago, but we didn't have anywhere to store it for 2 months :D.

Leprechaun
May. 5, 2011, 09:16 AM
We're in Massachusetts and used Springfield Fence out of Springfield, VT. They were awesome, came with a crew and stayed at a local cheap hotel. My guess is they would go to CT also if the job is big enough. Good luck!

deckchick
May. 5, 2011, 09:48 AM
I know around here the price of lumber is very volatile. The price can change daily.

Getting quotes always involve calling the store for me. It's just part of the process.

BasqueMom
May. 5, 2011, 10:46 AM
Katerine,

Thanks -- I do hate sites with no prices so insisted ours be posted. Lots of folks, including myself, are late night researchers and orderers. We've not done the shopping cart thing as actually talking to folks lets help determine if
they have ordered everything they need to install it.

Think it would help if the fencing sites would post prices, even if they had
to post a disclaimer that prices subject to change, call for current prices.
At least, folks could get a ball park figure.

Southernboy
May. 5, 2011, 11:01 AM
Give your lumber suppliers a little bit of slack. I wholesale lumber and trying to keep up with prices and freight costs is a full time job. Typically, the fencing guys and retail yards have a very small margin on the lumber. They make their money from the labor and/or the hardware. If they don't get quotes, their costs can easily go up past their sales prices in just a few days to a few weeks. If it goes down then they could lose your business by someone that got a recent quote from their supplier. The ones that get quotes are just trying to give you a competitive price. The ones that you think that are more convenient by having a list or catalog are probably the ones that are overcharging you.

AnotherRound
May. 5, 2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone, I am happy to have heard the conversation about it. Southernboy, it is as I suspected. I think when the project comes along, choose some sources, get quotes, make a decision.

I just wanted to see prices on different types of posts - a post - a 4x4, a locust post, a cedar post, to decide which to use, etc. then go shop for the project.

Misty, I should look at your paddock again. What is happening is that I am thinking of financing the back paddock fencing at the Barn to get the kind I want, but know if that's feasible.

I'll also contact the folks recommended here, to see what they all have to say. I keep thinking I will do better buying (pretend) 100 posts and 1500 rails or something. (I'm a do it yourself kind of gal, and know how to dig and place fences and posts). Maybe something like MB's would be good, though. Post a link again, if you have one, MBlue.

I'll check out centaur and the other mentioned here. Thanks.

AnotherRound
May. 5, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hmm. Just remembered, I have a saw mill right around the corner from me. Oughta take a drive in and talk to them.

Also, I like Shagbark, they have sales, sometimes.

I have a Ring's End also right around the corner from me, so I'll stop by there and just peruse. They'll try to undersell Home De-Pot if they can, so I can usually get a good deal outa them. Their high grade plywood, actually, for another project, was very well priced.

Thanks for the discussion. Misty Blue, was your paddock finallydone by the Ramm folks? I remember how hard they worked to get your project to you complete and at a good price, all things considered.

I like the coated wire look at the centaur site. I'll have to sort it all out.

rugbygirl
May. 6, 2011, 02:27 PM
Do you have any farm/ranch supply places? Our local ones (UFA, Co-Op, Peavey Mart) put out quarterly catalogs with prices on all of their bulk materials. Some of these are online.

They are more set up for the do-it-yourselfer than the "do-it-yourself with our help, ideas, contractors and package deal" places.

MistyBlue
May. 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
Here's a link to my fencing:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/MistyBlue5105/NewfenceandgardenMay2010001.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/MistyBlue5105/PromandpaddockMay222010002.jpg

First photo is main paddock. 4.25" flex rail on top, 4 strands 5/16 coated wire below and 1 strand electrobraid over flex fence. All w/12" separation setting between strands.

Second photo is same set up but with 3 strands 5/16 coated wire.

6" round line posts, 8" round end/gate/corner posts. 12' gates. Most posts pounded, surprisingly considering the rock here. Corners/ends/gates braced.

Safe, strong as heck and little to no maintenance. Not expensive. Corners, gates and ends do need to be firm since there's tension in the strands.

BasqueMom
May. 6, 2011, 07:16 PM
And brace according to the instructions--absolutely, positively no short- cutting on the bracing!!!!!

MistyBlue
May. 6, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'll second that BasqueMom. When we first put that fencing up, we cemented the corners, ends and gates and then didn't brace as often as we should have.
It took a few years, but the lack of braces made the fencing get uglier and uglier. We finally had a pro installer come out to rip out everything we did and redo the whole thing. (and add another paddock)
MUCH easier to do it right the first time, even if it is a buttload of work. (much less expensive to only put it up once too, LOL)

anchodavis
May. 7, 2011, 07:42 AM
If yoou can wait a week or so...call Ramm Fence and ask to have their catalog sent to you. It has a full work sheet in there that helps yoou plan out different types of fencing, exactly what/how much materials are needed, prices of everything, etc. It's an awesome way to budget a new fence of different types.

Or better yet, call Ramm and ask to speak to Veronica. Let her know you need a quote on materials. She'll happily talk you through everything needed for the fencing (or just the parts you want) and the prices for everything. And that's just parts, no labor.

have to say the customer service at Ramm really is second to none. Veronica deserves some sort of medal and a huge fat raise.

Lumber places won't list prices because the cost of product and production fluctuates wildly with fuel prices. Right now they'd be changing their website prices daily. Ring Lumber has prices on their sale stuff in their flyers. So does Lumber Liquidators. But not of everything they carry.

If you call fencing companies you'll get some damned high prices! They sell their labor and then go out and buy materials as needed. Very few will sell you just the materials and if they do, they add a charge to what they're paying for it.

Shagbark also happily gives prices over the phone.

Ditto!! I got all my stuff from Ramm because they were so straightforward with pricing. And very helpful too. Around here at least, 6" by 8' round treated lumber posts are going for around $13.50, I believe. Also, Tractor Supply's web site usually lists their prices on such things if you enter your zip code. I don't think they have locust posts tho. Per some of the suggestions above, I would call lumber yards directly. They will give you the price. If you call or google fencing companies in your area, they're likely to be companies that make their money on the job, not the materials.