PDA

View Full Version : RIP Nancy Alberts-raced Magic Weisner

sportinghorsepolo
May. 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
RIP to a class act:(
Trained Magic Weisner to 2nd Place finish behind War Emblem in 2002 Preakness. Maryland racing loses an icon.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/05/04/nancy-alberts-obit.aspx

Laurierace
May. 4, 2011, 01:15 PM
I am thankful she is no longer suffering but am feeling a tremendous void in my heart. Godspeed Nancy. You were everything I ever hoped to be and then some.

Glimmerglass
May. 4, 2011, 01:37 PM
Sad news and quite a shame :(

Acertainsmile
May. 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
She will be very missed, Nancy was a wonderful example of how hard work and the love of what you do can pay off. I've always admired her as a horsewoman and friend.

haligator
May. 4, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hi,
I idolized Nancy Alberts. She was smart, an excellent horseman, and a sportsman through and through.

I remember showing against her at the Maryland Yearling Breeding Show at Timonium in 2002, and just being awed to be in the same ring with her. She was so kind and friendly to everyone. What a class act!

It is with great sadness I learned of her passing, but am glad she is no longer in pain or limbo. Gallop on Nancy!

Hallie
Hallie McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

Laurierace
May. 5, 2011, 08:08 AM
This is hitting me pretty hard. I was not expecting to feel this way. I really admired and respected Nancy but only saw her a couple times per year so I am surprised that I am feeling such a void. With the possible exception of the smoking that most likely contributed to her death Nancy was everything I hoped to be.

Nancy turned down 1 million for MW. Considering he was a gelding that was a giant amount of money. Shortly afterwards he became the first ever confirmed case of west nile virus in Maryland. While he was recovering much later he was attacked by a coyote. Who even knew we had coyotes in Maryland. MW ran once after she turned down the offer and finished last. Nancy did not regret that decision for one single second and would not have done anything differently even if she had known what was to come. It wasn't about money to her.

TBCollector
May. 5, 2011, 09:09 AM
How very sad. I remember reading about MW's trivails and thinking, how lucky is this horse that he has such a doting owner?
If there were more Nancys in thoroughbred racing, the sport would be thriving.

Acertainsmile
May. 5, 2011, 09:15 PM
This is hitting me pretty hard. I was not expecting to feel this way. I really admired and respected Nancy but only saw her a couple times per year so I am surprised that I am feeling such a void. With the possible exception of the smoking that most likely contributed to her death Nancy was everything I hoped to be.

Nancy turned down 1 million for MW. Considering he was a gelding that was a giant amount of money. Shortly afterwards he became the first ever confirmed case of west nile virus in Maryland. While he was recovering much later he was attacked by a coyote. Who even knew we had coyotes in Maryland. MW ran once after she turned down the offer and finished last. Nancy did not regret that decision for one single second and would not have done anything differently even if she had known what was to come. It wasn't about money to her.

Having just found out this news I've thought alot about Nancy over the last two days. I had the privledge of seeing her everyday and considered her a good friend for years when she was at Laurel. She was an honest, hard working tell it like it was kind of person.

I was galloping for Larry Murray when she asked me about Jazema and what the plans were for her. She told me she really liked the mare (who at the time was not the soundess) and I forward the info to Larry. She bought her for $1 and then bred her to Ameri Valay, who had been stabled previously two barns over. I was thrilled at the outcome of that mating! The whole history of Magic Weisner was a fairytale, with Nancy in the middle of it. She really did get to reap the rewards for all of her hard work and dedication to the sport.

Texarkana
May. 5, 2011, 10:40 PM
Oh wow, I missed this news. I am so sorry to hear this. :(

MintHillFarm
May. 6, 2011, 12:50 PM
My sincere condolences to family, friends and the horses she trained. I always admired and respected this wonderful horsewoman. Sad day:(

sporthorsefilly
May. 6, 2011, 02:16 PM
I didn't know Nancy personally, but I am sure she was a fabulous horsewomen and a very special owner. I felt a close kinship to her.

I bred a mare to Ameri Valay in 1999, and so when Magic Weisner was running I felt like he and his owner were like kin. I followed him, and had $5 across the board on him for the Preakness. I shouted and screamed for him and was so thrilled for is breeder/owner/trainer/exercise lady. What a truely rewarding gift of an outstanding horse. Very, well deserved.

More so I feel terrible about her death, as I am just a year younger than she was. Her passing hit me hard even though I never met her, I am sure she was someone like me, who also would have said NO to a million dollars, for the horse of a lifetime.

Magic Weisner was blessed and so was Nancy to have owned him. So too were all the horses she touched in her lifetime.

Godspeed Nancy, you were a credit to the world of the Thoroughbred. All horse owners should be as caring and passionate as you were.

sportinghorsepolo
May. 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
Passing along this beautiful article by Nancy Albert's son.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/industry-voices/archive/2011/05/17/the-horseman-by-will-alberts.aspx

Laurierace
May. 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
That is an excerpt from what he read at the celebration of her life. It was truly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I brought home one of the many pictures of her that decorated the service. I will cherish it in my triple crown room downstairs.

Rockfish
May. 17, 2011, 03:10 PM
A SHAME

sporthorsefilly
May. 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
Sportinghorsepolo, thanks for posting that link, what a wonderful tribute her son gave her. Just beautiful.

oppsie2
May. 17, 2011, 04:17 PM
She lived just down the street from me. I would have to hack out by her farmette when I took my students out on a trail ride. All her babies (grown and small) would gallop along the fence and squeel as we rode by. If she was home, she would come out and wave.

I know the neighbors are really sad about Nancy's passing. Funny thing, her place is simple, no frills, no big sign telling you she is the breeder of any one special. I had NO idea at all that she was famous in her own right. She was kind to her neighbors, kept a tidy place, horses always looked cared for. I know she will be missed by them.

God Speed Nancy. I hope you are riding that TB across the finish line at Pimlico!

Sing Mia Song
May. 17, 2011, 05:23 PM
That's a lovely tribute. I never met Nancy but admired her from afar. I was really taken aback to open the Washington Post and read her obituary (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/nancy-alberts-md-thoroughbred-trainer-dead-at-65/2011/05/05/AFSB7d9F_story.html)on Derby Day.

Whatever became of Magic Weisner? Is he still alive?

Laurierace
May. 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Magic is alive and well and living on Nancy's sister's farm.

WillAlberts
May. 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
Thank you all for the kind word regarding my mother. I know what you said is true to the point. She was an amazing woman and mother to me and I miss her dearly. I have received so much support and I need all I can get right now.
I am most proud of the way my mother handled herself. Many of you depicted her accurately. What was never said was how much pain she was in on a daily basis due to her arthritis, fractured hip that never healed, and her shingles (not the roof type). She pressed on in every condition. The inspiration she provided to myself and others can’t be described in words. I know I am fortunate to have had her as a mother. The pain and sadness I am feeling is only lightened by the support and knowing she would enjoy hearing you comments and thoughtful words. Again, thank you all. Will@AlbertsRacing.com