View Full Version : advice-doors

May. 3, 2011, 07:43 PM
I am still trying to decide which doors to put onto my run-in. I would love some expert advice on what kind to get. Here is a picture of the barn:

May. 3, 2011, 08:31 PM
What do you need the doors to do? Are round pen panels an option? Or do you need them to weather-proof the interior of the shed?

May. 3, 2011, 08:35 PM
I think at this point, I would just like to contain someone. I would ultimately love to put 2 stalls about 4 feet in, so that there is still an overhang for them, but for now probably just the panels across the front would suffice. :) I hate picking them up and dragging them, so I think I should get the ones to attach with the hinges.

May. 4, 2011, 12:08 PM
How wide are the openings...

May. 4, 2011, 12:49 PM
About 10 feet.

May. 4, 2011, 01:03 PM
yes, I shouldn't have said just rp panels, though they do have hinge-type connections to be able to connect to each other. I really should have said something like traditional metal gates, which of course do have hinges :)

If you're going to put these "doors" 4' in, then if you're not also going to enclose the top half of the opening, I don't see why a metal gate wouldn't work. The exceptions would be for horses who would be prone to pawing and potentially getting feet/legs through the openings. 10' wide though is a LOT if you're looking at a solid door. An alternative would be 2 5' doors to open independently.

I do believe there are some metal gates which have a mesh facing, preventing feet though any bars.

May. 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
I second a metal half door - mesh gate sort of thing. It would be light enough to open and close, and fixture it so it can be folded flat back along the side and secured when you want the opening to stay open.

Otherwise, see if you can find some kind of stall guard web, but I think that would be too risky for such a large opening.

May. 4, 2011, 08:22 PM
Now, someone had said that the mesh could be a problem for a striker. I don't think I will do the full on stalls four feet in yet. I'll just want to close off the openings for now. So concensus is round pen gates at this point, possibly with mesh? Thanks!