PDA

View Full Version : Euthanizing a Turkey Poult...

AppJumpr08
May. 3, 2011, 10:08 AM
What's the best way to do it? I have a week old turkey poult who hatched with a bum foot, was doing fine hopping around on one leg until yesterday, but now seems to have grown past the point of being able to support it's weight on one leg, and can't stand up anymore... what's the best way to euthanize it? I know professional bird folks use Co2, but I don't have a Co2 chamber at hand... I have Ace for the horses, but nothing stronger. Should I put it in an airtight container? I just can't bring myself to squish it's head or something violent, and DH is gone for the week :( Ideas please? I'm having a really hard time listening to the pitiful "weep weep weeps" as it's struggling to stand up :(:(

Alagirl
May. 3, 2011, 11:02 AM
oh man, I don't envy you. found a finch my cats drug in, I knew it was a goner, but couldn't get myself to finish it off.

How big is the bird?
One way of euthanising little ones is to put them in an airtight container with a rag soaked in ether.
Or - I did that with a suspicious bat - bagged it and stuck it in the freezer.

Generally speaking I think breaking the neck or cutting...but those are really drastic ways. While I like to think of jyself as tough, I am wimping out in a most pathetic way when it comes to that.

hundredacres
May. 3, 2011, 11:07 AM
I think breaking the neck is the quickest and most humane. I've heard of people putting them in a ice chest with ether or dry ice?...sounds scary to me (for the bird)...but sorry you have to do it either way..

MeghanDACVA
May. 3, 2011, 11:49 AM
You have a vet euthanize it.
Or you can do the neck thing. I am sucky at the neck thing though. Had to kill a pigeon once and hubby was gone. He told me to do the neck thing. I wound up with a live pigeon with the world's longest neck. Apparantly you not only have to twist but pull hard enough to get the head off. I can't do that. I took the pigeon into work and euthanized it. It was just easier, on me.

I guess you could chop the head off? I couldn't. I like drugs.

Diamondindykin
May. 3, 2011, 11:51 AM
Personally I would take it to the vet and have it euthanized. It would be worth any amount of money to not have to kill it myself.....I don't have the stomach for anything but chemical euthanasia!!

Good luck!

birdsong
May. 3, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ohh..just reminded me of the one given to me at the feed store that had arrived with a deformed leg. Sucker!!..yes, that's me. sigh

Raised the thing for a long while until it got even worse.

I took it back to the feed store and made an appeal to them to "take care of it"!!

They were compassionate and much better capable than me to do the deed!

Alagirl
May. 3, 2011, 12:38 PM
I think breaking the neck is the quickest and most humane. I've heard of people putting them in a ice chest with ether or dry ice?...sounds scary to me (for the bird)...but sorry you have to do it either way..

Dry ice releases CO2, so yes, that would be an option.

kinnip
May. 3, 2011, 12:43 PM
The first time I put down a chick I used the ether and a rag method. It was horrible. It took a good 45 seconds of panic and thrashing for the poor little booger to die. I bought one of these in chick size: http://cgi.ebay.com/Maxi-3-Dispatcher-Chicken-Duck-Poultry-Incubator-X3-/280658386359?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&hash=item41588b1db7#ht_2052wt_956

It works a charm. Since you may not want to wait, I would suggest using a sharp pair of shears and cutting its head off. The harsh reality about killing these critters is that what's easiest for them is what's hardest for us. Quick is better.

Trixie
May. 3, 2011, 12:46 PM
I just went through this with a baby chicken and it led to the weirdest phone calls of my life. I am NOT and never will be the sort of person that can pop it's head off and Mr. Trixie was not in town that week.

Our small animal vet doesn't "do" chickens. Neither does our large animal vet. The local vet here charged my friend $187 to euthanize a rat (not kidding) so that was out of the question.

So I started calling around. Conversations went something like this:

Me: "I need someone to euthanize a chicken. Can you do that?"
Vet: "You want to... euthanize... a chicken?"
"Yes.
"Are you... sure?"
"Yes. I need someone to kill this chicken. It has a hurt leg and it isn't getting any better."
"You... want to euthanize... a chicken..."

Ultimately I wound up calling a friend whose fiancee is a vet and they very kindly took care of it for me. We also found out that some animal shelters will do it if you "surrender" the bird (of course, none of the ones close by).

Watermark Farm
May. 3, 2011, 12:49 PM
I was surprised to learn that my small animal vet was willing to examine and euthanize chickens for me for a reasonable rate ($25). He anesthetizes them with gas and then gives the injection. It is the kindest thing I can do for myself and the bird. Maybe check with your vet and see if they would be wiling to help you out with your turkey. Sorry....

ladybugred
May. 3, 2011, 01:12 PM
No advice, just a sorry

LBR

PRS
May. 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
OMG! I had to euthanize a young chicken several years ago for the same thing. Poor little bugger had a bum leg and after it got so big it couldn't support it's own weight any more. I tried the grab it by the head and snap real hard method to break it's neck. Nobody ever told me the head would come off in my hand. :eek: The rest of the chicken was flopping around the ground for several seconds. I was absolutely horrified and when I quit throwing up I then had to deal with carcass. I.Will.Never.Do.That.Again.....Ever. :dead:

ETA: When I worked as a Pest Control tech I often had to finish off rodents found stuck to glue traps....I would place them in a paperbag (so I didn't have to look at them) and bang them in the head with a hammer. Or I would drown them. I prefer the hammer method, I hated doing it though.

murieics
May. 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
We also found out that some animal shelters will do it if you "surrender" the bird (of course, none of the ones close by).

This. Our local animal shelter takes in all kinds of animals (including livestock). Their fee (I believe) is $25 to "surrender" the animal. I think whether or not your local shelter will take them in would depend on what area you are in (I'm in central Texas...).

Sorry you are dealing with this. :( I'm just as big of a wimp with this type of stuff- luckily, my husband has always been around when I've found injured animals that need to be dispensed of quickly, because of their suffering (and he takes care of it for me- somewhere that I can't see). If he wasn't around, my next stop would be our animal shelter. I'm sure I could find a vet around here that would also be willing to euthanize, but I bet they would be $100+.

Dramapony_misty
May. 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
My dad drowned one that hatched like that. It was pretty quick.

MeghanDACVA
May. 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
I know the de-heading way is quick and prob painless to the critter but I just cannot do it. Call me a wimp. We used to have a major pigeon problem in our arena. "We" would go out at night and shoot them with a bb gun to knock them down/wound them. (We found they have very thick feathers and bb's don't penetrate them well). My job was to then capture the downed pigeon (I am sure that would have good on video). He would then kill it with the neck method. I guess after years and years of killing research chickens he got good at it cuz it was darned quick. But I just can't do the head in my hand and body flopping around.
Same with killing rodents by blunt trauma.
Or drowning a critter. Even when we caught a skunk in our humane trap we couldn't drown it. Hubby shot it. He was a good enough shot that he didn't even hurt the trap!

I like drugs ;-)

kinnip
May. 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
If you try drugs, please do some research and be aware that avians are affected differently than mammals. Normal drug induced euthanasia can cause quite a bit of distress to a bird before doing its job.

AppJumpr08
May. 3, 2011, 04:19 PM
The deed is done :( I wimped out on the beheading approach, and tucked little turklet into a nice warm (small) tupperware box, waited for it to fall asleep, and closed the lid. I didn't hear a sound - no thrashing or "wheep wheep wheeping", and he/she is gone. :sigh: I love my birds and the farm life, but I hate this kind of stuff :(

On a brighter note, the other turklets are all curious and chipper as always...this is the first time I've had turkeys, and they are just so darn entertaining!

deckchick
May. 3, 2011, 04:49 PM
I know you have done the deed, I "process" my own personal chickens and turkeys. I use the killing cone method. They are put head first into the cone with their heads protruding from the bottom. I cut their throats, and let them bleed out. It seems to be painless for them. You can also make killing cones out of feedbags. Just cut a small corner out so their heads can stick out and hang it over a garbage can.

It's tough to do, it is the worst part of raising food animals. The fowl I sell get sent to the processors. It's much easier to do it that way.

AppJumpr08
May. 3, 2011, 04:58 PM
I know you have done the deed, I "process" my own personal chickens and turkeys. I use the killing cone method. They are put head first into the cone with their heads protruding from the bottom. I cut their throats, and let them bleed out. It seems to be painless for them. You can also make killing cones out of feedbags. Just cut a small corner out so their heads can stick out and hang it over a garbage can.

It's tough to do, it is the worst part of raising food animals. The fowl I sell get sent to the processors. It's much easier to do it that way.

We've used killing cones before for our adult birds.... this one was still so small (one week old), I probably would've taken it's head right off completely if I'd tried to slit it's throat.

kookicat
May. 3, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry. :(

Daydream Believer
May. 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
When I have to euthanize a small chick, I wring it's neck usually. It is easy to pull their head off and it is kind of gross. I also use kill cones when I'm slaughtering but if I have to kill a chicken that's injured or sick, I'll generally break it's neck.

For a full grown chicken, you can hold them by the legs, lay their head on the ground, put your foot over their head and pull sharply. It WILL break their neck and you might well behead it also. It's quite fast and humane but is a bit messy.

deckchick
May. 4, 2011, 12:10 AM
We've used killing cones before for our adult birds.... this one was still so small (one week old), I probably would've taken it's head right off completely if I'd tried to slit it's throat.

Yeah, it sucks when you have to put down babies. I probably would have put him in a feedbag, just so I could have control, and then either wrung his neck or slit his throat.

I'm glad the container worked for you.

HappyTalk
May. 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
I volunteer at a wild life rehab center and we have a CO2 chamber. I am sure if you had called we would have done the deed for you.

AppJumpr08
May. 6, 2011, 10:21 PM
I volunteer at a wild life rehab center and we have a CO2 chamber. I am sure if you had called we would have done the deed for you.

Good to know. The closest place that might have one is an hour+ away from here, but the person I got the poults from is also planning on getting a Co2 chamber, so in the future I'm sure I could take it to him as well. But he doesn't have one currently.

GotGait
May. 7, 2011, 09:25 AM
I know it's already done, but when we had to euthanize small animals, my dad would put them into a Tupperware container and then run a hose from the car exhaust into it. It seemed humane to me as a kid - they just went to "sleep". :(