PDA

View Full Version : Race Record

gold2012
May. 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
So we went to an auction the other day, and a 4 y .o. son of Alfeet Alex was there. Seems he had to have a chip removed, and the people who paid for that didn't want to rehabilitate, so they sold him to someone else, but didn't divulge that he had been not rested. This man then tried to put him to work, only to find that he came up sore immediately.

His name is ANNUAL, and I went ahead and paid the 200 for him. He is absolutely gorgeous, and frankly, I have been looking, along with several friends, for a TB to breed to some Irish mares.

I tried to look up his race record, to find out that you can't unless you have access to it already. I don't. Does anyone know how to get a free report? or can someone look it up for me, please.

Also, does anyone know how the rest of his sons are doing? Is it worth breeding to a few mares this year, bringing them along for a few years?

Also, I have a mare named Easter Morning, who has a ton of speed, how do I get the hypo mating that gives you a grade...
A+ etc?

THanks....

Laurierace
May. 3, 2011, 07:54 AM
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_display.cgi?userfile=P741031252351106

Wait, you want to breed this guy that you just spent $200 on? That couldn't outrun a fat man or stay sound? Yeah, no it's not worth it. Let me guess, his pasterns are about a foot and a half long right?

Las Olas
May. 3, 2011, 09:11 AM
He probably is a good looking horse, given his yearling sale results ($350,000), but didn't perform to expectations, having 3 starts at Calder and placed third once. Earned $3,300. It sounds like he would make a very nice gelding.

caffeinated
May. 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
I tried to look up his race record, to find out that you can't unless you have access to it already. I don't. Does anyone know how to get a free report? or can someone look it up for me, please.

equibase.com. Type the horse's name in the search box on the upper right part of the screen. :)

danceronice
May. 3, 2011, 11:46 AM
His race record does not indicate he should breed anything. At the very least I'd get him retrained and put miles on him and see if he has any athletic ability at anything before putting him to any mares. There's nothing in his pedigree that screams "sport horse" to me, but you never know until you try him.

NCRider
May. 3, 2011, 12:28 PM
Devil's Advocate here. I know some of the Afleet Alexes inherited the weird legs but not all. Maybe this guy didn't. Other than that, AA was a pretty athletic horse. Don't know anything about the mare. We don't have any pictures of the horse, but let's assume that the OP is right about him having good conformation and being attractive and let's assume the OP and her friends have breeding quality Irish mares. How is this any different than people who use OTTB mares in their breeding program. The $200 only means that he was worthless as a racehorse or racehorse sire and that he was presently unridable. I actually think there's a better shot of a $200 intact horse being breeding quality than a $200 mare because race breeder's would be more likely to breed a mare with this pedigree who brought $350,000 at auction at some point thus the mare wouldn't be available for $200 until she'd failed as a racehorse producer.

gold2012
May. 3, 2011, 02:37 PM
Devil's Advocate here. I know some of the Afleet Alexes inherited the weird legs but not all. Maybe this guy didn't. Other than that, AA was a pretty athletic horse. Don't know anything about the mare. We don't have any pictures of the horse, but let's assume that the OP is right about him having good conformation and being attractive and let's assume the OP and her friends have breeding quality Irish mares. How is this any different than people who use OTTB mares in their breeding program. The $200 only means that he was worthless as a racehorse or racehorse sire and that he was presently unridable. I actually think there's a better shot of a $200 intact horse being breeding quality than a $200 mare because race breeder's would be more likely to breed a mare with this pedigree who brought $350,000 at auction at some point thus the mare wouldn't be available for $200 until she'd failed as a racehorse producer.

He actually has very nice conformation, nothing stands out to me as being long, wrong, or anything else. However, he is huge. I am not a big person on big horses racing so young. I am not always sure either, that something like him would run fast...

We bought a 4 y.o. gelding off the track once, who was 17 hh at 4. He had a terrible record....got him home, retrained for a sport horse. 2 years go by, and all of a sudden he has some major speed. For fun, had a race trainer do all the hoopla and put him in a race. He blew them away. He just needed to grow up. Was fun to stand in winner circle, took him home, and went back to jumping.

Anyway, I appreciate the above. To me it is very similiar thinking as well. We have expierance breeding, handling stallions. Both daughter and I. So not something we wouldn't know how to do.

Thanks for the post on record. Figured it was something like that.

gold2012
May. 3, 2011, 02:40 PM
Oh, here is a pic...just home....just off loaded...so he isn't made to look pretty....is easy to handle, so gotta love the mind.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10100833824905084&set=a.10100833823113674.3296479.8323026&type=1&theater

And we had a discussion with said daughter about shoes....

danceronice
May. 3, 2011, 03:37 PM
Your photos are set to Friends Only or otherwise locked.

Yes, NCRider, maybe he's nice-looking. But he bombed for a reason and there's nothing in his pedigree worth writing home about/not common as crabgrass these days. I would definitely want to see if he has the brain and the ability to make him worth breeding, because there's really nothing in his bloodlines alone to make it worthwhile.