PDA

View Full Version : No one but you guys will get excited!

spacytracy
May. 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
We just had our excavator in last week to clear some wooded areas for us in preparation for our fence to be installed in June! I am beyond excited. Silly, I know, but I have been dreaming about this fence for years and its finally going to happen! I am counting the weeks!

I can't blabber on to my non-horsie friends so you'll have to indulge me please!!!

We have a very small property - only 4 acres total. 2 of which were fenced, this excavating added maybe a 1/2 acre, not much, but when you only have 1.5 horses, it certainly helps! And we're going to leave enough room around it so I can spread manure, and make a path to ride around

This is what it looked like in the am:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/P1040099.jpg

Digging away!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/P1040112.jpg

Still working!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/P1040141.jpg

The final product (well, not final! We have to drag it a little and then seed before the fence guys come in)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/P1040157.jpg

Here's the arial view. Where it says "proposed dry lot" - that's where he excavated - basically just removed all the brush and an old rock wall. the wall was moved and made into a new wall. I originally thought it was going to be too wet to make a real pasture but it has dried up very nicely now that theres no undergrowth and the sun can get to it. and the trees will make a nice shade in summer.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/fencelayout.jpg

There's also enough space to ride around the entire pasture now, which I didn't have before.

ayrabz
May. 2, 2011, 05:47 PM
Of course I get your excitement!!! :winkgrin:
you betcha!

I know, when I FIRST considered making the 'homeplace' that I'll inherit into a 'horse property'...the VERY first thing I considered and had done, was the fencing. Its a small property (like yours) almost 5 acres...BUT (!) half of that is in a wooded ravine to a creek. So, I knew, it would really really take management and rotation to work. I also knew....the fenced 'areas' would be my mom's 'front yards' so to speak, so it had to be a fence that would be of VERY little maintenance, and still attractive 'out front'...

So, for me, the biggest hurdle was jumping off and 'going for it'....we went with a 3 rail ramm flex fence...Black....and one top hot coat (black) wire, and one again between bottom and middle rail ...so that...a 'mini' companion would also be contained.

BIG first expense...but, I'm so glad we did. I knew a 'replace boards' upkeep fence wasn't for us!

So, now with that in, we're working little by little on the other items.....see my post in re: lovin' life today, as our widdle tiny barn (2 stalls) is getting wired and lights and switches today!!!!

ENJOY your beautiful excavated new area and fence to come!!!

kookicat
May. 2, 2011, 06:10 PM
Of course we understand. The rest of the word just don't get it. :lol:

Very exciting, and you have a lovely property! :D

MistyBlue
May. 2, 2011, 06:11 PM
I'm giddy for you and it's not even my property, LOL!
Yay! Love, love, love clearing and fencing and all that fun stuff!
(Well, I don't like doing the actual fencing part, I stink at it)

We will want "after" photos when it's all done and fenced! You don't have to wait until the grass grows in and it has horses on it to take a picture. :winkgrin:

I have a huge area on the other side of my house that I'm planning on doing the exact same thing. Digging, ripping and dragging out all of the undergrowth and crap and just leaving the mature trees up. I have 4.5 acres, most of it heavy woods. The area I want to clear is about 1.5 acres or so, but I'll semi-clear only about 1/2 of that and then fence it in. It'll give me a good sized nicely shaded turnout...and something a little more interesting for the horses to roam in. Am hoping it can be used more often in the hot months for turnout instead of stalling the horses under fans for hours every day. Am also hoping to "natural" fence it...using the smaller diameter trees I knock down as fencing. Or at least use many of the leftover trees as "fence posts" and attach coated wire. I can't *wait* until the weather dries and warms up enough for me to get in there with the tractor!

tasia
May. 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
:cool: Enjoy!!!!!

spacytracy
May. 2, 2011, 10:26 PM
Ah! Thanks you guys! I am so psyched!!!

I'm a camera whore so you'll see lots and lots of updated pictures!

AnotherRound
May. 4, 2011, 03:10 PM
Good luck. For fun and relaxation, I walk around my property and nose through the woods along the edge and reconstruct how it would look cleared and fenced. Then I found an old barbed wire cow fence right where I thought I would put a horse fence.

Precident!! Bonus!! So, it used to be cleared for farm animals, eh? Nice going, AR. Note to self: Look up land records and zoning at town hall.

One thought - you might want to put chicken wire on the trees - they'll eat the bark, and if they girdle the treas, they will die (that's how the old timeys used to clear a cow pasture - fence the woods, put the cows in, and two years later, Voila! Dead trees!)

Briggsie
May. 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
I must say, this would be better than going to disney land for me too! we have to do this...and I can only see it in my dream! congrats

suz
May. 14, 2011, 02:53 AM
mmm, fencing!
i lust after good fencing.

Leprechaun
May. 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Congrats. Isn't it fun. When our fencing went up, it made the entire farm "come together". After you get it up, the next step, figure out a way to make them stop chewing on it!!! LOL

Equibrit
May. 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mental masturbation !

Teacup
May. 15, 2011, 12:45 AM
I was excited to see the thread had pictures! :D

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 15, 2011, 01:35 AM
Congrats! Post more pictures when everything is finished please!

TrueColours
May. 15, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yay!!! Yes - we can ALL relate and be excited for you! :D

Now we are all waiting for pictures once the fence is up! :)

JackSprats Mom
May. 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
Nothing more exciting then clearing land!!!!! and you're right non horsie folk would think you're crazy :P