View Full Version : horse scratching (itching) post: calling MistyBlue

Apr. 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
So, I got a couple of those street sweeper cylindrical brushes, to mount on a pole (vertically) so the horses can rub up against them and get a good scratch. (I got the idea from MistyBlue, who has one).

Here's my question: mixed in with all the plastic bristles are wire ones. They are the same length as the plastic but are thin and the end is sharper than the plastic bristles. Any problem? If anyone has these, are your bristles a mixture of plastic and wire?

I just don't want to install them and find out the horses can injure themselves on this!

Thanks in advance.

Apr. 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
SMF11...these things go with your shower heads in the fields?? I am moving back in.....:)

Apr. 30, 2011, 04:46 PM
Mine don't have the wires, only the plastic.

I'd try grabbing one with pliers and see if you can yank the wire ones out. If they don't come out, grab the wires with the pliers a few inches from the tips and bend them back so that the wires are blunt bends instead of sharper tips and so that they end a few inches shorter than the plastic bristles.

Apr. 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks, MistyBlue, I'll try your suggestions. If it ends up, though, that there are thousands of wires the horses may just have to live without a scratching post. But I love the idea!

And Woodrwo, you are welcome back here any time :-)

Apr. 30, 2011, 10:50 PM
How do you acquire such street sweeping brushes? Oreo would love that and it might save our run in from draft horse. :)

May. 1, 2011, 11:17 AM
They are free! You just have to call various highway departments. In my case, I called the county dept. of public works and they told me they subcontracted the street sweeping to a private company. Got that number and called -- the owner was throwing away a bunch of them so he set aside some for me and a friend of mine. If your town is bigger than mine, they may have them too.