PDA

View Full Version : We DID have storm damage- Tom King?

shakeytails
Apr. 30, 2011, 11:04 AM
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2599470140058351122PvlvBW

Any ideas on how to fix this? It's about 24' of wall and trusses moved out about 6" at the top. We're thinking come-along. Any better ideas?

clanter
Apr. 30, 2011, 06:13 PM
as I see the photo...If this repair was to be done by a contractor they would support the roof, jack it up then re-align the wall. Then set the roof back down onto the sidewalls attaching the rafts with storm clips so that it isn't lifted up off the sidewalls again

Actually not a really expensive repair, but was only needed because storm clips had not been installed.

Bluey
Apr. 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
as I see the photo...If this repair was to be done by a contractor they would support the roof, jack it up then re-align the wall. Then set the roof back down onto the sidewalls attaching the rafts with storm clips so that it isn't lifted up off the sidewalls again

Actually not a really expensive repair, but was only needed because storm clips had not been installed.

Here, we used #9 wire to hold that kind of framing down, but in really bad winds, nothing will hold.

Since they have plates already there, I assume that is a newer structure and yes, they needed clips to help tie in the truss framing, that are not seen there:

http://www.marinoware.com/Products/frameriteConn.asp?prod=RoofTruss

clanter
Apr. 30, 2011, 08:24 PM
here is link to storm clips for wooden rafters, there are other variations available
http://hurricanehotline.org/

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 30, 2011, 08:59 PM
This is what we have holding everything together on every board in our barn where the roof meets the walls:

http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/images/h25.gif

fivehorses
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
Are storm clips code or just something some of you request to have put on?

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:31 PM
Are storm clips code or just something some of you request to have put on?

In Florida, it is code, particularly because of hurricanes. At least it is code for houses, we can build barns here without permits,so no inspections of those.

birdsong
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yes hurricane clips on everything even when not inspected!!!!

Tom King
May. 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
It shouldn't be too bad to get it back into place. I can't tell exactly how to go about it just from that one picture.

It looks like there was not much holding the trusses down to start with. That may be why it turned loose, but it will make it easy to fix.

I'd pull, or cut all the fasteners left holding the trusses in place on the top plate of the wall on any trusses out of place with a SawzAll before trying to move anything back into place.

I'd use anything from a come-along to a tractor and chain to pull the wall back into place. That's the kind of thing you have to figure out while attacking it. Pull a line on it with gauge blocks to know where straight it.

The roof may come back down on it's own once the fastener are done away with, but if not, you probably won't be able to use the top plate of the wall to pull with. I'd use the tractor bucket to anchor to.

Sometimes I've used mobile home screw in tie down anchors to pull stuff with. I made an adaptor for our tractor auger to screw them in and out with. You can buy them at Home Depot over near where all the bags of concrete are.

It won't do much good to tie the roof down to the top plate of the wall or even the wall itself if you get another twister, but I'd fasten it back better than it was to start with.

shakeytails
May. 1, 2011, 02:00 PM
Well, what we did was first cut all the nails out with a Sawzall. Hooked a come-along to a tractor in the barn aisle to pull the wall back. The wall actually came back in pretty easily. But that one truss didn't drop back down- maybe the purlins got bucked a little when the truss lifted? Anyway, we left a come-along with some pressure pulling down on the truss overnight, and it looks to be settled back tight to the top plate. And DH is going to put hurricane ties on everything. The roof lifted right across from the wash rack door that was partially open when the tornado hit. It makes me wonder if there would have been more damage (no place for the wind to go) or less if the door had been closed.

We were pretty lucky- my neighbor across the road said that there was another twister in addition to the one I got pictures of- and it went right over the top of my barn. It moved the front of my horse trailer several feet into a small tree - gotta weld a ball to the bale spear to pick it up where it's now sunk into the mud but that's no big deal. And it pushed in one side of the garage door framing on the old block garage- a sledgehammer and some Tapcons should take care of that!