PDA

View Full Version : Frankel

Drvmb1ggl3
Apr. 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
The most hyped horse in a long time, and boy is he ever living up to the hype. Just won the 2000 Guineas.

Drvmb1ggl3
Apr. 30, 2011, 11:37 AM
Here's the replay, see for yourselves, this is something exceptional... http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,428484,00.html

Texarkana
Apr. 30, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well dang. :D

dressagetraks
Apr. 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
Wow! Very dominant race.

Bobby Frankel would be proud. It would be a shame to name a horse in honor of somebody close to you and have it turn out not to be able to beat anything, but I'm sure that's happened more often than not. .

I thought they ran the 2000 Guineas on Kentucky Derby day? Or at least used to. . .

Drvmb1ggl3
Apr. 30, 2011, 12:36 PM
I thought they ran the 2000 Guineas on Kentucky Derby day? Or at least used to. . .

Most years it falls on the same day. I believe the criteria they use to decide the day is that the 1000 Guineas, the fillies version of the 2000 Guineas, and which takes place on the Sunday following the 2000 Guineas on Sat, must take place on the first Sunday in May. With tomorrow being May 1st, that meant the 2000 Guineas fell on last day in April.

The funny thing about this race is that Juddmonte actually had a pacemaker entered in the race for Frankel! He fried his own pacemaker.
The big question now is will he go on to contest the Derby at Epsom. I would think not, after that performance. It's hard to imagine him staying 1m4f after seeing that exhibition of raw speed. I think he will stay at a mile, with maybe a shot at one of the big 10f G1s in the late summer. If he did stretch out, the International Stakes at York in August would be an appropriate target, given that it's sponsored by his owners.

Larksmom
Apr. 30, 2011, 01:26 PM
Well, I am sitting here at the computer, watching Rolex, and tv is on behind me with Frankel! WHAT A HORSE! He was sensational!! All they saw of him was his heels.
Funny thing too. We seem to have no real stars this year, and he is a big un that we probably won't get to see.

Amyy
Apr. 30, 2011, 01:31 PM
unbelievable!!!!

Flashy Gray VA
Apr. 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
Fabulous, fabulous.

Drvm, you are kindly tasked with keeping this forum up to speed on all news Frankel this year! Thank you! :)

Rubyfree
Apr. 30, 2011, 03:14 PM
Truly exceptional stuff. What a magnificent few years we've had for racing superstars internationally.

haligator
Apr. 30, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hi All,
Smashing, simply smashing. I actually cried watching this race. It is so rare to see that kind of brilliant dominance! A class act all the way. I guess we'll have to go to Europe to see him run, and with this horse it will be worth going anywhere.

Did you see the size of his butt and chest? Was it me, or does he have a very interesting running style? He seems to really come in under himself and fully contract and release.

It's so nice to be posting here today. I made the mistake of wandering off and posting on a different COTH forum about a sticky topic and got very nasty responses. I still believe the Racing forum is the (for the most part) most well-behaved bunch of horse enthusiasts on the COTH.

Bravo Frankel!

Hallie

tradewind
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
Very impressive to say the least.

MightyBobbyMagee
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
He was being ridden very strongly the final two furlongs. Still maintained a solid lead, so maybe just being "kept to task"? Let the flaming begin. ;)

Slewdledo
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:39 PM
Well, everyone behind him was getting the snot shaken out of them a lot harder than Queally was riding. Brilliant horse. I had heard lots about him but never bothered to watch any of his races till now. Exceptional.

dressagetraks
Apr. 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
The way he was squirreling around and prancing after being pulled up and while coming back made me think he was goofing off a bit there at the end, since he sure didn't seem tired afterward. Maybe he was just getting bored out there alone?

VirginiaBred
May. 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Fabulous, fabulous.

Drvm, you are kindly tasked with keeping this forum up to speed on all news Frankel this year! Thank you! :)

What FGVa said! :yes:

Glimmerglass
May. 3, 2011, 12:41 PM
Frankel scratched from ante-post Derby betting (http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/epsom-derby-epsom-frankel-removed-from-ante-post-derby-betting/851749/latest/) ...in lieu of going to Epsom, St James's Palace Stakes over a mile looks the likeliest next target for Frankel.