PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
My praying mantis egg case hatched:cool: I recieved 3 egg cases about a month ago and they really did hatch!! The babies are soooo cute!! I hope I still think they are cute when they are bigger:eek:

deltawave
Apr. 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
If I were an insect, I'd want to be a praying mantis. (A female one, naturally) They are AMAZING little alien-looking things! I'll bet they're even cuter when they're babies. Picture? :)

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 07:44 PM
If I were an insect, I'd want to be a praying mantis. (A female one, naturally) :)

:lol::cool: They are very tiny and sweet looking. I hope I still feel the same way in a few weeks when they get umm bigger:eek:

goodhors
Apr. 29, 2011, 08:41 PM
Neato, and ALL working for you all day long! We enjoy the Mantis' we find outside in the garden. I don't buy cases, just find them now and again. We also have a few Walking Sticks out there too, both just VERY interesting insects cleaning up the unwanted pests. Hope they eat lots of mosquitos for you!

EqTrainer
Apr. 29, 2011, 08:44 PM
I adore them.

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 08:53 PM
Here is another picture :) There could be up to 200 per egg case, and if all 3 hatch, I could have 600. And if they have eggs....

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 08:56 PM
Neato, and ALL working for you all day long! We enjoy the Mantis' we find outside in the garden. I don't buy cases, just find them now and again. We also have a few Walking Sticks out there too, both just VERY interesting insects cleaning up the unwanted pests. Hope they eat lots of mosquitos for you!

I've seen a few walking sticks, but only one praying mantis. Hope I haven't over done it. Anything that eats bugs is welcome here:yes:

Nezzy
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
You do know they stalk, kill, and eat hummingbirds, right? that's why i m not fond of them.

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
You do know they stalk, kill, and eat hummingbirds, right? that's why i m not fond of them.

No, really:eek: I've never heard that. They are right by my humming bird feeders:eek:

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
Would anyone like 200 to 600 baby praying mantis'?

Rbow
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:53 PM
Would anyone like 200 to 600 baby praying mantis'?

I hear they eat stink bugs....you might make a fortune raising them.

Nezzy
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry, i thought you would want to know if you didn't already. You can google it, but it's sad to see them.

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:01 PM

This was never mentioned in the catalog:no: Well, if they get large enough to eat a hummingbird, they will be relocated to the barn. Please don't tell me horses are on the menu too.

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry, i thought you would want to know if you didn't already. You can google it, but it's sad to see them.

I googled:eek:

Tornado Run Farm
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:03 PM

WOW! I just googled it and saw a couple video's of it on the web. :eek: And I thought that the big mantis hanging around my hummingbird feeder last year was looking for the bees! My goodness! Thanks for this!

You can learn all KINDS of stuff on COTH!

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:05 PM
Well, I was worried they wouldn't survive with my chickens. I'm not so worried now. I have 3 to 4 hummingbirds and I would hate to see something happen to them.

merrygoround
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:06 PM
100 years go-I was in my teens, a friend brought an egg case in the house over the winter and 'voila' come spring they had a house full. Their Mom was not amused.

Course I know of another child that brought pond water in to keep the frogs happy over the winter. Another unhappy Mom. The skeeters hatched. :lol: :lol: :lol:

tasia
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
100 years go-I was in my teens, a friend brought an egg case in the house over the winter and 'voila' come spring they had a house full. Their Mom was not amused.

Course I know of another child that brought pond water in to keep the frogs happy over the winter. Another unhappy Mom. The skeeters hatched. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

deltawave
Apr. 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
Besides hummingbirds (hey, that's nature, hummingbirds are cool but so are praying mantises) what do they eat? Bad, undesirable insects like flies and mosquitoes? Any reason I wouldn't want to adopt a few hundred of them? :P

RougeEmpire
Apr. 30, 2011, 12:48 AM

Not all! LOLS!

Only a few of the GIGANTIC kind of Praying Mantis can kill Hummingbirds. Im pretty sure 99% of Praying Mantis breeds can not kill Hummingbirds. It's a silly reason to not be fond of them.

tasia
Apr. 30, 2011, 07:06 AM
Not all! LOLS!

Only a few of the GIGANTIC kind of Praying Mantis can kill Hummingbirds. Im pretty sure 99% of Praying Mantis breeds can not kill Hummingbirds. It's a silly reason to not be fond of them.

So, the praying mantis stay until large enough to wear a halter. If any of them start giving my hummers the hairy eyeball, they will be relocated. So for now the mantids are back to being cute.

Nezzy
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:13 AM
Not all! LOLS!

yes, they all can kill and eat hummingbirds. And they creep me out. Enough reason not to like them.

deltawave
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
I just ordered some. They can live in my garden and around the barn. When the hummingbirds start eating their weight in horseflies, I will give them favored-creature status. :) Never seen a mantis longer than about 3" here, but if they want to eat enough bugs to grow big enough to start threatening the Shetland, well, that's just fine. :D

RougeEmpire
Apr. 30, 2011, 12:56 PM
yes, they all can kill and eat hummingbirds. And they creep me out. Enough reason not to like them.

LOLS a friend of mine buys and keeps "pet" Mantis. The kind he likes the most is a "Boxing" Mantis. They are no bigger than his thumb, the thumb part after the knuckle. Im pretty sure it's not where near big enough to kill a Hummingbird. Most of his Mantis breeds are very small. There are thousands of kinds of Mantis all over the world ranging in size from 1/2 inch to several inches. Its true that most of the ones native to the US are very large. They don't just eat hummingbirds, some have been know to kill and eat mice! Behold the Barn Cat Mantis!:lol:

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Apr. 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
I just ordered some. They can live in my garden and around the barn. When the hummingbirds start eating their weight in horseflies, I will give them favored-creature status. :) Never seen a mantis longer than about 3" here, but if they want to eat enough bugs to grow big enough to start threatening the Shetland, well, that's just fine. :D

Wait. They eat horseflies? How did I not know about this? Where can I get some????

RougeEmpire
Apr. 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
Wait. They eat horseflies? How did I not know about this? Where can I get some????

You can order them online!

http://mantiskingdom.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22&zenid=fb8ac2f5cc0864e8ad5f1a14fa30ea92

You can usually order Mantis Eggs from garden supply stores too! They mail them to your house in a little box or cup. The eggs are in a hard case that the Mantis makes. Just leave the container alone and in time they will pop out! Hundreds of them :winkgrin:

Mantis Eggs via Amazon! Cheap too!
http://www.amazon.com/Egg-Cases-Chinese-Praying-Mantis/dp/B000MR7B26

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Apr. 30, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks!:cool:

But . . . will they eat my dung beetles? What about bees? :uhoh:

tasia
Apr. 30, 2011, 04:06 PM
I got mine from Arbico Organics. I also get my fly eliminators from them.

MistyBlue
Apr. 30, 2011, 04:50 PM
Mantis are also great dancers, they can really raise the roof:
http://quantumbiologist.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/prayingmantis2-703775.jpeg

KrazyTBMare
Apr. 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
Most excellent. Ive seen the walking stick bugs before but never an actual praying mantis. Now I want to buy egg sacks and have them eat the spiders and bugs in the barn! <3

tasia
Apr. 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
Mantis are also great dancers, they can really raise the roof:
http://quantumbiologist.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/prayingmantis2-703775.jpeg

Great picture!!:cool:

annikak
Apr. 30, 2011, 08:50 PM
Concur! Great picture- I feel she's singing 'I am woman- hear me roar!'

SonnysMom
May. 2, 2011, 11:32 AM
I was weeding my gardens this weekend and noticed 4 or 5 mantis egg pods. Every summer I see a number of mantis on this property. Last year was the first year I every saw baby ones.

RougeEmpire
May. 2, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks!:cool:

But . . . will they eat my dung beetles? What about bees? :uhoh:

I dont know if they will eat Dung Beetles. I would be inclined to say no as Praying Manitis do not normally frequent dung piles :lol:

RacetrackReject
May. 2, 2011, 04:31 PM
Are you guys buying native species? Just curious because I could see someone ordering Indonesian mantids or something and releasing them which leads to a kill off of our own native species...lol.. Yes, I'm paranoid. Hi, my name is RTR and I'm paranoid.

tasia
May. 2, 2011, 06:09 PM
Are you guys buying native species? Just curious because I could see someone ordering Indonesian mantids or something and releasing them which leads to a kill off of our own native species...lol.. Yes, I'm paranoid. Hi, my name is RTR and I'm paranoid.

I ordered them from arbico organics, so I hope they are looking out for the environment.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
May. 2, 2011, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I got to thinking about it and decided not to mess with Mother Nature at my place.:) Even though MistyBlue's picture really makes me WANT one.:lol:

I already have insect predators (wasps and dragonflies) and lots o' lizards. I know mantis will eat lizards.:yes: I'd hate it if they ate up my dragonflies, too.

Grasshopper
May. 2, 2011, 10:12 PM
I am intrigued...anyone know if they might eat widow spiders??

We don't have many hummingbirds or dragonflies...we do have lots of spiders and fire ants....