PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to bury a dog

Mozart
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
Sad day tomorrow, I will be going to the vet with my mother to euthanize her aged corgi cross. My mother really wants us to bury the dog on our farm. I had gently suggested cremation first but no go, she is an old fashioned Catholic.

We have always cremated our pets so I have no idea how to do this. She is a smallish dog, will be wrapped in her favourite blanket.

I am worried about predators digging up the remains. How far down will I have to dig? How much of a dirt mound for a corgi/terrier sized dog? Should I pile a bunch of rocks on top to act as further deterrent?

Not looking forward to tomorrow, my mother will be a mess. :(

SGray
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
I compost

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/naturalrenderingFS.pdf

Mozart
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
I compost

If the elderly Catholic lady is not open to cremation, she sure as heck will not go for composting.....;)

ladybugred
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
I buried my first dog, a Rottie, aboout 3.5 ft deep no issues with critters trying to dig him up and I didn't make a cairn.

The ground will settle after a while and you'll need extra dirt.

Sorry about the pup

LBR

myalter1
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
I buried my jack/corgi mix. I just dug a hole about 3 feet down and put him in it. No rocks on top and no predator problem. Just planted some flowers and all was well (well, all except that my dog was dead.) you get the idea. Sorry to hear about your mom's dog. It's always a sad sad day.

RougeEmpire
Apr. 29, 2011, 12:03 PM
Go to your local feed store or Home Depot (or similar) and grab a bag of powdered LIME. Put the lime down below and on top of the body, it will help decompose the body and aids in keeping away wild animals that might want to dig it up. Sorry for the loss =(

CatOnLap
Apr. 29, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have buried several dogs and cats. We get our backhoe in to dig a hole about 4-4 1/2 feet deep, put the animal in, partly cover over with about 2 feet of the excavated dirt and plant a 2-3 foot pine, fir, spruce or cedar on top, filling in the rest of the hole. Make sure any blanket they are wrapped in is natural fibre- wool or cotton or silk or rayon, not any plastic that will not decompose. I drove by my old house where the japanese maple that covers my old cat from 1991 is now a gorgeous mature tree.

The tree roots will eventually reach the animal's body in a couple of years and will thrive on its nutrients. The one we "planted" 8 years ago is now a 12 foot tall fir tree.

EponaRoan
Apr. 29, 2011, 12:23 PM
I've always cremated too, so have no real advice, but thought I'd share this with you and your mom. :sadsmile:

Where to Bury a Dog by Ben Hur Lampman

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry tree strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a dog.

Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavored bone, or lifted his head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death.

Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing is lost - if memory lives. But there is one
best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs here. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his foot, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

Originally appeared in The Oregonian in 1926 and later was included in the late author's book of essays and poems, "How Could I Be Forgetting."

Today marks the one year anniversary since the death of my beloved Freddie, so I understand.

pj
Apr. 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
I compost

While I understand they are kinda composting under the ground the idea of actually composting my dog, horse or whatever kinda turns my stomach.

Oddly enough cremation or even just carrying them out into the forest and laying them down for something to eat doesn't bother me a bit. Wish they'd just lay ME out in the forest when the time comes but guess they can't do that with people or animals that have been euthed.
Silly I know but I don't want my animals (or myself) limed either!

When we bury our animals we do pile rocks on the grave. There are things around here who would love to dig up something like a grave.

I'm really sorry that your Mom is losing her dog. That's a hard thing.

Diamondindykin
Apr. 29, 2011, 04:35 PM
When we bury any of our small animals we bury them about 3 ft deep and put a piece of plywood on top with a tire on top of that for 5 months or so. I would be devastated if a coyote dug up one of my dead cats :eek::mad:

Mozart
Apr. 29, 2011, 04:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice, kind words and that beautiful piece, EponaRoan.

Although I am sad for the dog she had the best life a dog could have asked for (at least she did after we got her out of the shelter at 7 yrs of age). I am really worried about my mom, the dog was her constant companion and their mutual devotion was incredible to see.

Hampton Bay
Apr. 29, 2011, 05:01 PM
I've not buried a dog, but we have buried several adult ducks. We only dig maybe 18" down, and have not had any of them disturbed. I do put a single rock over the grave, but more as a marking. For the first duck, we intended to plant something pretty on his grave, however the horses ate everything we bought.

I still miss that duck :(

wireweiners
Apr. 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
I have a whole cemetary in the corner of my yard. I usually go down about 3-4' depending on how hard the soil is. I've buried several dachshunds that are about corgi sized. The grave is about 3'x2'x3'. I've never had a problem with animals disturbing the graves but they are all fairly close to my house. If you want, several paving stones to cover the grave site would work. The gray ones usually run $1.50 each.

I'm sorry about your mother's dog. Maybe she'll find another companion, perhaps an older pet. The older guys have less of a chance of adoption and are usually much more settled and less trouble than a puppy, perfect for an eldery person. I read somewhere that the best tribute you could pay to a beloved dog is not to say "I will never have another dog" but "that dog made my life so wonderful I cannot imagine life without a dog".

JSwan
Apr. 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
I have a pet cemetery and dig down a few feet (to discourage anything from digging it up).

I'm very sorry for her impending loss.

Oh - if she is a devout Catholic, perhaps these prayers might be useful to you if you are helping her bury her dog.

http://www.churchyear.net/pets.html

deltawave
Apr. 29, 2011, 07:07 PM
Three feet down should be plenty. If it's not out in the middle of nowhere, I doubt predators/scavengers would be much interested with all the "human smell" around to dig up a hole that deep.

We brought our beloved dogs home from the vet's wrapped in cotton blankets, and just buried them in those.

Sorry for your mom's doggie, and for those who love her. :sadsmile:

Bring her a little clipping of one of St. Francis of Assisi's writings tomorrow.

"If there are those who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, they will deal likewise with their fellow men."

blueeyepaint
Apr. 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
I've burried 3 dogs and 5 rabbits over the years in our back yard. I always put a large rock on top. Nothing has dug them up. I'm sorry for your mom's loss.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
My heart goes out to your mom on the loss of her beloved dog.

Our vet provided a carboard "casket" that my husband brought his beloved brittany home in, and we buried her in it.

Helping him dig the hole was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever done. He didn't want my help, but it broke my heart to think of him doing it alone.

We dug the hole about 4-5 feet deep, and gently placed the casket in the hole. I don't think either one of us could have handled seeing her in the hole.

We did not have any problems with anything trying to dig her up.

MelantheLLC
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
You can also buy plastic caskets for pets. We put our old boy in his wrapped in his sheepskin, with his goodie jar next to him. Planted a pecan sapling and rosebush there.

The pecan is 20 ft tall now and the rose still blooms. I go out there every time I go back.

danceronice
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:00 PM
We've buried all our pets intact (except the horse, who had to..uh...decompose a bit first, and one dog who died at our other house and whom we had privately cremated so he could be buried on our farm later.) I don't mean to sound trite but, assuming your water table's not high...dig a hole, three or four feet at most, put the dog in it, put the dirt back in the hole and put some stones over it (permanently or until you get the grave marker made--Dad poured concrete for gravestones and etched the names and dates in it. The old owner of the property had made a stone for one of his dogs where he even used some of the glass and ceramic shards we find all over our property if we dig in the cement as decorative pieces. So Bonnie the dog's marker has blue bottle and milk glass as a border.)

gldprimr
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:33 PM
As with others who've replied to this, I buried my dog about 3 feet down. I selected a lovely old magnolia to lay them (two different dogs, different times) to rest under.

I had no issues with scavengers, etc.

Sorry for the loss, I love my dogs dearly.

Pennywell Bay
May. 1, 2011, 06:54 AM
I've always cremated too, so have no real advice, but thought I'd share this with you and your mom. :sadsmile:

Where to Bury a Dog by Ben Hur Lampman

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry tree strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a dog.

Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavored bone, or lifted his head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death.

Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else. For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing is lost - if memory lives. But there is one
best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs here. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his foot, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

Originally appeared in The Oregonian in 1926 and later was included in the late author's book of essays and poems, "How Could I Be Forgetting."

Today marks the one year anniversary since the death of my beloved Freddie, so I understand.

I loved this.

Mozart
May. 2, 2011, 11:22 AM
Well, the deed is done and the best thing I can say about the day is that it is over.

Freezing rain turning into a blizzard...yes, on April 30 :no:

We will wait for better weather to plant something next to the grave...

A church friend of my mother's tipped off her priest and he talked about dogs in his sermon on Sunday and then gave her a big hug afterwards.

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot.

Dun_Horse
May. 2, 2011, 11:32 PM
Glad that the hardest part is over. It seems that getting the deed done is the most difficult, but relieving as well.

We've buried several of our dogs here, at about previously stated three feet. Never had a problem. Also put smaller animals in the ground much shallower than that and haven't had issues, either.

Alice
May. 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
Aw, so sorry for your mom! What a difficult time.

We have 2 large dogs and a goat buried in our backyard. All were buried about 4 feet down. It was really difficult to watch the first being covered by the dirt, so I've put a towel over them since.

We haven't had any problems with other animals being interested in that area.

PRS
May. 3, 2011, 01:38 PM
We've always buried our pets. We usually dig a hole between 2 - 3 feet deep...depending on the size of the critter. It doesn't take very long to do it with shovel. We just put the same dirt back on top...it will mound a little bit at first but will soon settle down. I've never had anything try to dig them up although I did find one of my cats sitting vigil over her companion's grave for a couple of days.

Bacardi1
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
We have all of our dogs, cats, & one horse buried here on the farm.

While we had the horse professionally done, my husband has done all of the dogs & cats. For the dogs, he digs a hole a MINIMUM of 4'-5' deep - thus no worries of predation. Our vet provides us with an impermeable body bag as well. Dog goes in, along with any toys, etc., we want to bury with him. Grave is filled in, & then eventually a small tree or shrub is planted on top.

winfieldfarm
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
So sorry for the loss of your pup. I have missed my heart dog every day of the eight years he has been gone and walk by his grave everyday on my way to the barn

1. Dig hole waist deep. Make hole large enough for your pup to lay flat in.

2. Wrap pup lovingly in blankets. Never throw dirt on a pup's face.

3. Carefully place wrapped pup in grave. Weep.

4. Surround pup with favorite toys and treats. Weep some more.

5. Fill hole, starting with pup's bum. Allow dirt to fall naturally over pup's entire body before purposefully covering head.

6. Sit by hole for a spell. Weep again.

7. Place appropriate marker at grave and visit often.

8. When grave dirt has settled, attend to surface as desired with flowers, grass seed or the like. Think fondly of pup and maybe avoid weeping.

ArabX3
Jan. 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
My husband always built a nice wooden box, sealed with caulk, then we placed our dog in with blanket, treats etc. Then dug a hole to fit the casket - buried it and then poured a cement marker with their name written in it. We have a large corner as our cemetary. :):(

To the MAX
Jan. 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
When my mom's dog was hit by a car we wrapped her in a blanket and my fiance dug a hole about 3 1/2 feet deep. The hole was never bothered.

Sorry about your dog. :(