PDA

View Full Version : Whole Farm Fly Control Options???

buschkn
Apr. 28, 2011, 06:33 PM
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. What sorts of options do people like to control (ie eradicate!!) flies on your property.

I have used fly predators twice with not much results in my opinion. And I always got a lot more than they recommended for number of horses on property and STILL didn't find much difference.

I bought an Epps Fly Trap last year, but it only really attracts the BIG bugs like Horse flies etc, which I don't have a ton of.

I am thinking about getting the spray system for the barn, but that still leaves all the outside horses with flies galore.

I have seen products labeled "perimeter" or "premisis" insecticides but never tried them.

HELP. I hate flies. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? There are 20-25 horses on the property, so feed-through would be $$$ but if it actually gave me a fly free farm I'd probably do it. That said, my friend has used it and said it's a waste of money.

ANYONE???

drewsbadboy
Apr. 28, 2011, 07:00 PM
We have a fly spray system for our barn and love, love, love it. :) There are nozzles in each stall, in each covered run, the wash rack and on both aisleway doors in the front and back. We also make sure to keep the stalls extremely clean. Our manure pile is way at the back of the property, quite a distance from the barn and we have this removed frequently. And we even use fly predators out by the manure pile and the area near the pond. So far it seems to help. We have to use flyspray of course for the horses when they are turned out or when we're riding. The only problem we've had has been horseflys. However, we've found they won't come in the barn or the runs off the back of the stalls with the automatic sprayers in them. I've never tried the feed through.

Plumcreek
Apr. 29, 2011, 12:46 AM
I use BugCheck, which is a feed through plus garlic, which works very well and makes any pile of manure anywhere on my property, plus the manure pile, not support fly reproduction. I start May 1 and end in Oct. It is more $$ than a simple feed through, but worth it for the mosquito welt reduction alone. I also have an auto spray system in the barn for the flies that come inside. So I am completely covered and do not have a fraction the flies I had 5 years ago, before starting the Bugcheck. I did not see much benefit from the predators before that.

It is the neighboring pasture horses that hang out near my fence line, that I am thinking about now. Kind of blows my system, and might be worth a few fly predators in that spot.

horsefaerie
Apr. 29, 2011, 01:18 AM
I use fly predators and bantams! I am highly allergic to the barn fly spray systems and have seen a few horses react to them as well.

Chickens are THE MOST effective bug killers. Bantams do not need a coop but must be trained to a roosting bar. They are pretty as well and if you are clever they can supply you with fresh eggs! Small but tasty.

I also have the fly traps and am rarely bothered by pesky flies!

UpperFallsFarm
Apr. 29, 2011, 08:24 AM
We have used Simpli-Fly for 5 years and I am very happy with it.Currently we house 40 horses. All of them receive it once a day.

We have no other farms, horses/cattle within 1/4 mile and we clean our paddocks and manure piles up on a regular basis.

That being said using this product had reduced the fly population by 70% if not more.

We still have the green heads and bombers, however their life cycle is not affected by feed through control.

Best of luck, I think results depend on management, location, weather and how close other livestock is to your location.

PS. We tried the fly predators. I could not tell any difference in the fly population, they are expensive for the amount we needed and ants eat them. We saw a much better result with the feed through!

Fly Controller
May. 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
I highly recommend fly traps. The trick is knowing which ones to use to catch the flies that are already in the barn and which fly traps to use to draw flies away from the barn.