PDA

View Full Version : barn beavers

out west
Apr. 27, 2011, 06:40 PM
The beavers masquerading as horses have destroyed the top rail over my no-climb wire fence. Has anyone had luck with some other material for a top rail? Something less tasty than wood that the no-climb wire could be secured to? Thanks for suggestions.

tasia
Apr. 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
I replace all my PT boards as they break with creosote ones. Some people just run electric wire/tape.

philosoraptor
Apr. 27, 2011, 10:40 PM
My answer is replace the wood you feel you need to support the fencing. The material I'd add to the top rail is a hot wire.

Zarafia
Apr. 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
My farrier (a brilliant older guy) suggested some sort of paste made from Tide and cayenne pepper. I didn't pay attention at the time because none of my horses were fence chewers at that moment. However one mare (a new one) has started chewing on a particular board now and it looks like I've got a compulsive cribber!
Gonna pay attention the next time the farrier is here!

colorfan
Apr. 27, 2011, 11:53 PM
I have used a straight paste of ceyanne pepper, it works for a while but just being out in the weather wears it off.
As soon as it is gone or even reduced slightly they are back at it. If they can't get at the fence they go for the side of the barn where ever there is wood.

I have started running hot wires.

Also, I place a very thick log in the field last year (the start of my x country course) one mare has started to teeth on it.
At least she is leaving the fence alone.

Mosey_2003
Apr. 28, 2011, 10:25 AM
How much fence are you talking here? If it wasn't a lot I might be tempted to cover the top half of the boards with metal. Otherwise, hot wire real close.

winfieldfarm
Apr. 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
They need zotted by a hot wire. It's tough to make any applied product last for long on outdoor fence, what with the elements. Running a hot wire with a solar charger is much cheaper than new fence. I vote for amps!And it is also helpful to give them something they are allowed to chew, like the suggestion of a log or two. Won't hurt them and will satisfy their chew craving. May want to look into different feeding sched or nutritional inadequancies as well that may make these guys more prone to chowing your fence.

dbts
Apr. 28, 2011, 02:18 PM
The only thing I have found that works at all is hot wire correctly placed.

msj
Apr. 28, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hot wire has helped on my post and rail fencing but I don't like to have it over the lowest rail so my boys chew there. :( I've also read that you can rub a bar of regular soap, Lever 2000 to Ivory, on the board. Course it will wash off when it rains but it might taste bad enough to stop your beaver.

out west
Apr. 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
It seems hot wire may be the solution, but having been zapped myself a few times I was hoping to avoid it. My beavers get a lot of good quality grass hay, but they can't be free fed because they are easy keepers and obesity isn't healthy for horses, they also get appropriate supplements etc. Has anyone tried the products that have wire incorporated in PVC(?) and look like a rail? Thanks!

rainechyldes
Apr. 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
If you want a quick easy solution that wont break the bank, and also looks nice..

O' ring - a 100 feet or so costs about 20 bucks. buy the diameter that will fit over your top rail, cut to length, and slide it onto the rail, and then re-attach the fencing. I usually leave mine uncut except in the front 'pretty' paddocks, but if you want to take the time to cut the O ring to flatten it, works also. It works well, I was replacing fenceposts and rails several times a year thanks to one hard core chewer I own. havent done so in 3 years now in his paddock

Looks nice, and super easy to work with, and cheap always is a bonus in my book.

out west
Apr. 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
? O' ring? I'm not familiar with it.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
I've also read that you can rub a bar of regular soap, Lever 2000 to Ivory, on the board. Course it will wash off when it rains but it might taste bad enough to stop your beaver.

Get a strong smelling deodorant soap like Irish Spring. If you have a lot of fence board to rub, go to Walmart and get a big multi-pack. This really does work, I do this all the time.

It won't wash off in a single rainstorm, unless it is a real downpour.

I just do it in any spots that look like they have started to chew, or if I catch them in the act.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
Or you could get these for small areas or in the barn:

http://candmequestrian.com/gpage8.html

CatOnLap
Apr. 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
we tried:
hot wire- works as long as the electricity is on and you remember to plug the charger back in after you unplugged it to fix the broken wire...otherwise it takes 2 arabians approximately 2.5 hours to chew through an unguarded 3 rail fence

cayenne mixed with soap or lard into a paste- I swear my horses changed into Mexican beavers who adored the taste of cayenne and would lick it off preferentially....

more local hay...ended up with FAT beavers

more turnout on grass...ended up ROLY POLY beavers

and finally we recycled the old metal eavestroughs around the wooden fence posts and top rails, tacking it on with roofing nails. They've left that alone.