PDA

View Full Version : Blundstone boots - no longer quality??

ladyoftherings
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
I was considering buying my first pair of Blundstone boots, hoping they might work for my wide feet! But I'm worried now, after reading reviews, that the quality has gone down...and badly! People wrote about crumbling soles and poor quality leather, a sharp contrast from their earlier reputation. Anyone know if these issues have been addressed? Corrected? Recent experiences? Worth buying?
Thanks for any input!

Badger
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
Yes they work for wide feet. And I agree that the quality of my last pair with is not as good as the first several. Heels have crumbled and worn poorly.

tnscvaga
Apr. 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
I've owned 3 pair.

1st pair made in Oz, excellent lifespan even though I treated them poorly (never cleaned the mud off)

2nd pair made in China, much reduced lifespan, leather separated from sole along outside edge of right boot. rest of boot still looked great. Paid full price at time of purchase, treated them like first pair (never cleaned)

3rd pair made in China, found a closeout Internet deal and paid 1/2 what 2nd pair cost. Still wearing and trying to take better care. I don't wear these in the mud

All 3 pairs were worn part or all day long, 6 to 7 days per week.

When 3rd pair goes I'll buy another pair.

I believe that all styles are made in China now and are glued to the sole and not sewn and I have wide feet also.

Alice
Apr. 28, 2011, 10:03 AM
Yep, no longer made in Australia and quality much reduced.

No price reduction though...

It is kinda sad. I love my older ones, new ones are stiffer, leather peeling immediately and just not as comfortable.

Robin@DHH
Apr. 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
I used to wear Blundstones but found that it took a lot of
wear for the arch to become comfortable (I must have
a high arch I guess). A suggestion to look at an American
boot maker called Smoky Mountain Boot Company in
the western USA found that this company had some very
similar styles in a wide range of lengths and widths (including wide) for moderate prices.

Boomer
Apr. 28, 2011, 02:26 PM
Bummer to see their quality isn't as good.

I was getting ready to order some new ones. My previous two pairs lasted YEARS (both bought in 2005!) and were very comfy. I wore them to ride, do stalls and so on - they were far from pampered. I can't ever remember cleaning them.

frisky
Apr. 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
I used to wear Blundstones but found that it took a lot of
wear for the arch to become comfortable (I must have
a high arch I guess).

I had the same problem and I bought a pair of birkenstock insoles. They did the trick and I wore my very comfortable blundstones for a couple of years. They are a lot more insoles on the market now too.

msj
Apr. 28, 2011, 05:28 PM
You might try Red Packs. They are also made for someone with a wide foot and I think they are also made in Australia. I have 2 pair, one several yrs old and trying to die, and another pr that I bought about 2 yrs ago so when the first pr dies, I have good footwear. I don't know if their quality has gone down or not but the ones own are the same quality of the old Blundstones as I had those before the Red Packs.

Robin@DHH
Apr. 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
I think, msj, that the type is Red Back, a type of spider
found in Australia. There are several companies in
Australia making shoes simlar to the Blundstone ones.
R.M. Williams are the upscale version. Red Back is
another Blundstone competitor. There are more.

For the OP, be aware that in Australian sizing of shoes,
half sizes are wider than the corresponding full size, not
longer. I used to order my shoes sent from Australia
because that was the only way I could get the half
size, the importers didn't bring them in.

msj
Apr. 28, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think, msj, that the type is Red Back, a type of spider
found in Australia. There are several companies in
Australia making shoes simlar to the Blundstone ones.
R.M. Williams are the upscale version. Red Back is
another Blundstone competitor. There are more.

For the OP, be aware that in Australian sizing of shoes,
half sizes are wider than the corresponding full size, not
longer. I used to order my shoes sent from Australia
because that was the only way I could get the half
size, the importers didn't bring them in.

Yep, you're right about Red Back. I always thought they were called Red Pack, which never made any sense. Now it does and I HATE spiders but love the boots.

Thanks for the correction. :) :)

HedgeWitch
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
Love my Blundstones they be my slippers, I wear them with everything from dresses to skirts to short to jeans my pair are over 17 years old and still going strong, although I have another pair from the same era (issued every six months at an old workplace, when they tend to last me for years and years) that are brand new and are hardly worn :) I will cherish these seeing as though the quality is gone in the newer versions.

Red Backs are good just not as stylish (rougher grain leather) than the Bluddies, talking of red backs found one in my helmet today thank goodness it was big so I saw it instead of being the little critters they usually are.

Hedgy

Badger
Apr. 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
In Australia last year, I found a pair of Blundie-type boots called T-boots that fit my narrow feet MUCH better, look a bit more tailored, and are holding up dramatically better than my last two pairs of Blundies. Have liked them so much after seven months that I decided to order a couple more pairs. Had a devil of a time ordering them from AU to the US until I contacted a website that sells Blundies and Red Back to the US and he said he would get the T-boots for me. The kicker is they fit me better, look better, wear better, and are CHEAPER than Blundies...so of course they are not easy to get in the US.

CatOnLap
Apr. 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
my first pair of blunnies lasted me from about 2000 to 2009 before they got so scuzzy from daily wear mucking stalls and riding and such that I needed another pair. I passed them on to someone who still wears them as her mud boots. The second pair I bought lasted about 3 months before the leather in the lower arch completely gave way in a nicely sliced cut. So even though it was a small slice, probably made in the factory by a razor knife or something, it let the leather break in short order and they were no longer warm nor waterproof. Took them back to the store where I bought them and they claimed I'd stepped on a piece of glass or something and it was 3 months after I bought them, so no refund. Threw them out. Won't buy another pair of overpriced slave labour produced fashion icons.

FlyArmy
May. 3, 2011, 01:12 PM
I love & have worn my Australian made R.M. Willams boots for years now. I bought them in Germany while stationed overseas & have worn them on the street, in the saddle, on the tractor, etc. With a quick shine you can even wear them with a suit! One of the best made & most comfortable from the start pairs of shoes I have ever owned! They are pretty pricey, but well worth the $$$ IMHO!!!

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.asp?pageid=2E6B299F55B297E8