PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Arena-What can I expect to pay?

Secretariat2
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'm in the process of getting estimates for an 80x200 arena. The area will require some grading. Could anyone give me a ball park figure of what is reasonable? I'm getting several estimates but I'd like to have some idea if what I'm being quoted is reasonable.

drewsbadboy
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ours cost over $25,000. It's 100 x 200, sand with a base. Definitely price shop around. I wish we had done more of that before. The guy that did our outdoor arena went $7,000 over budget. The arena is really nice though, but I think I would have gone with someone else if I'd gotten other estimates. Ah well, live and learn. :)

Secretariat2
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
I hope it won't be that much because I know hubby will never go for it :( But thanks. I just had some people out and they were asking me about my budget which always makes me nervous. A bit like me asking how much and they reply: "How much you got?" ;)

drewsbadboy
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:41 PM
Check out this thread that's really recent. These members posted some really great pics of their stalls and arenas. And they had great ideas. Maybe ask some of them about how they did theirs? And I'm sure you can find a much better deal (cost wise) than what we did. :D

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299886&highlight=homemade+stalls

msj
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:45 PM
I had one done back 21 yrs ago. It was graded with tiles on the edges and was 80' x 220'. It cost me 15K then and I know it would easily cost me 30K today.

A lot depends on what you want done.

I knew I wanted a yr round riding surface (I added lights as well) so it was graded and then peaked in the center with ~ 1% slope to drainage tiles on both sides. The base was compacted clay and I mean compacted. It rattled the windows in the neighbor's house and I could feel it as I was sitting in a chair. The guys used a compacting/vibrating roller. Then about 3" of stone dust was put down and over that was hardwood bark mulch so I didn't get dust like you would from sand. But a sand topping would have run ~ the same $.

PNWjumper
Apr. 27, 2011, 06:36 PM
My arena is 100' x 180' and cost me a total of $35K to have done. It was about $10K in labor (we had to cut into a hill 4' and build up the other end of the ring by 4', so no need to bring in fill, but plenty of grading to be done), and then $25K in materials, which included:

4" of inch and a quarter rock
4" of quarter inch minus (compacted on top of the 1 1/4")
2 1/2" of coarse, washed sand

Mine is sloped 1% from side to side and end to end, and then we put in a 4-board fence (with kickboards) around the entire thing. All of that is included in the cost.

It's worth pointing out that I live in the Seattle area where we get lots and lots of a wet weather, so the inch and a quarter layer may not be necessary where you live. In fact, my guy left that up to me, but I wanted an arena that was rideable 365-days a year, and that's what it is thanks to that extra drainage layer.

I'm not sure how you could do it a whole lot cheaper. I mean, I guess we could have done the grading ourselves and cut out $10K in costs, but I know that even with my husband's excellent building skills it wouldn't have come out as well as it did. The rest of the bill was materials. Gas prices were high at the time, but they are now too, so I can't imagine it would be a terribly cheap time to build anything.

Anyhow, good luck to you!

kaye.simmons
Apr. 27, 2011, 06:40 PM
I out in a 66x198 (20x60 meter) dressage ring about three years ago and it cost around $28,000 all together. It has a bluestone base and sand footing.

Fancy That
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:07 PM
Our outdoor arena is 100ish x 220ish. We did it ourselves and it only cost the rental of the Skidsteer to grade/level it (hubby did that)

We had a perfect spot though...naturally flat, slightly graded perfectly, etc.
You can see it here:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/Horses%20June%202009/DSC01782.jpg

And for way more photos and how we did it......
Check out this specific post, from the thread the DBB shared, for more info:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5563424&postcount=32

Check out this thread that's really recent. These members posted some really great pics of their stalls and arenas. And they had great ideas. Maybe ask some of them about how they did theirs? And I'm sure you can find a much better deal (cost wise) than what we did. :D

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299886&highlight=homemade+stalls