PDA

View Full Version : eventing barn loses horse(s) to herpes/rhino virus

panda555
Feb. 2, 2006, 08:40 PM
see latest news and secondary story about pimlico race track being quarantined and how kim meier-morani has lost one horse with other sick horses after an infected 2 yr-old filly was shipped into her farm from pimlico to be started .. her daughters homebred horse had to be put down after neurological damage from the virus and her 4* horse test run has been infected and is now hopefully recovering .. could happen to any of us ..

fargonefarm
Feb. 2, 2006, 08:47 PM
This kind of has me wondering what your average boarding/training barn can do to protect its horses from something like this happening. I know when I get a new boarder in, I insist on knowing it's medical history and make sure I look the horse over to make sure it *appears* healthy. But maybe more of us should take a quarantine time more seriously. I realize it's very hard to do that at some facilities, but it is a thought. What does everyone else think?

BigRuss1996
Feb. 2, 2006, 08:52 PM
Anything and everything that comes into my barn has and always will do two weeks quaratine. It is not that hard to do and at times a much better alternative to what could be worse.

Originally posted by fargonefarm:
This kind of has me wondering what your average boarding/training barn can do to protect its horses from something like this happening. I know when I get a new boarder in, I insist on knowing it's medical history and make sure I look the horse over to make sure it *appears* healthy. But maybe more of us should take a quarantine time more seriously. I realize it's very hard to do that at some facilities, but it is a thought. What does everyone else think?

Carol Ames
Feb. 2, 2006, 10:04 PM
I wouldhik quaranting any horse who goes out to ashow, clinic, whther they stay overnbight or not. I inow it wouldcause a "stinlk " amongboarders but, you're thinking of the welbeing of ALL the horses.s very hard to do that at some facilities, but it is a thought. What does everyone else think?

Proud Member of the Michigan, Helmet Nazi, and Farm Owners With No Social Lif[/quote]

Jleegriffith
Feb. 3, 2006, 05:43 AM
We too do a 2 wk quarantine with any unknown horses it's better to be safe than sorry.

Since we do buy and sell on very small scale we try to get as much history on horses as we can before they are brought into the farm.

Keep up with vaccinations and make sure to follow good practices in the barn such as scrubbing buckets, disinfecting stalls, not going from horse to horse. It's easier in our barn b/c my mom owns the farm and cares for the horses herself so she knows what is being done.

This is very scary and I hope it does not spread more.

persefne
Feb. 3, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'm curious as to how this terrible outbreak might affect our upcoming event season. I'm planning to take my horse to the VA starter trials in late March, but -- honestly -- that's too close to many of the "infected" locations for my comfort. How can this be monitored? Requiring current health/travelling certificates? I know it's not something that a 4, 6, or 10 month old coggins can detect. I just feel that as the coming competition season begins, there will be a possible spread of the virus to other states/areas. Am I just being dorky and paranoid?

Jleegriffith
Feb. 3, 2006, 08:09 AM
persefne-I don't think it's dorky or paranoid.

I think it's the people who aren't being careful that are going to cause the spread of this. For example, we our local vet called this morning for a lesson and wants to bring her horse over. My mom told her we aren't allowing anyone to ship in right now (mainly her due to her know exposure to this). She said "it won't spread to delaware you are being paranoid." That is a vet speaking.

I think it is going to spread because there are still a lot of people who don't know about it and a lot of trainers who are just focused on making money. Not all of them but some of them will continue the spread b/c they will not shut down or quarantine properly.

I had just bought a canter horse and the trainer immediately called me and let me know what was going on. The horse had just left the track and was on her farm but we decided to quarantine him for the recommended three weeks. I will go to pick him up myself next weekend and he will be quarantine again when he comes to our farm. She had been taking his temp everyday and is a very caring trainer who is concerned about the effect this will have on the whole horse industry.

Kim's barn is only 45 min from us and that is scary. There are many people here who are just not knowledegable enough to follow the correct procedures. I wonder how it will impact eventing season too and what the best preventative methods will be.

persefne
Feb. 3, 2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Jleegriffith:
persefne-I don't think it's dorky or paranoid.

Thank you! And I completely agree with you on all of this:

I think it's the people who aren't being careful that are going to cause the spread of this.... I think it is going to spread because there are still a lot of people who don't know about it and a lot of trainers who are just focused on making money. Not all of them but some of them will continue the spread b/c they will not shut down or quarantine properly.

There are many people here who are just not knowledegable enough to follow the correct procedures. I wonder how it will impact eventing season too and what the best preventative methods will be.

Meredith Clark
Feb. 3, 2006, 08:42 AM
There is another side to this:

Outbreaks happen.

They spread, horses die, medical research happens. All of the things we vaccinate for now at one time were on the "outbreak". There is a chance my horse could die from this, but i'm not going to keep him locked in a bubble all his life. You can put every horse on a 2 week quartine, and have someone bring it to your farm on a bridle.

The virus can travel by air 35ft. On humans, tack, etc. You pass a neighbor and shake hands and bring it back to your horse! I agree with quartine proceedures for many reasons, but at the same time, this virus may not be controlled by that.

I am very sorry for the deaths of the horses, and I hope that not another horse has to suffer or die from this virus, but the only hope is that in their death we can find treatment or a cure.

Meredith Clark
Feb. 3, 2006, 08:50 AM
My personal plan of action:

1)i vaccinated with the live virus a little while ago (knowing my horse had not been exposed)

2)took his vital signs again knowing he was healthy.

3)got a vet check, looked into and adjusted his feed (with help of a professional with a PhD in equine nut.)

4)made the effort to know the horses around him, how they usually act, what they look like, so i could notice if any of them wern't feeling well.

5)make sure if i'm not at the farm someone is taking notice of him.

Everyone wants to fix this with a vaccination, which at this point isn't going to happen. Keeping your horse in good care, physically, mentally, and nutritionally is very important if they would get the virus so they can recover. Also catching it early, so not just knowing how your horse usually acts, but a horse around it which may be sick.

persefne
Feb. 3, 2006, 09:40 AM
Meredith, I think you are wise to follow those procedures and I'm really happy you are out there doing that. But what worries me the most are the hundreds (thousands, even) of other people out there who hold the mindset, "oh, this is another one of those things we can't control...it won't happen to me" and continue on without a thought or concern.

I'm not worried about my horses on a daily basis, at home. What bothers me is the idea of shipping to a horse park, stabling with hundreds of other horses for one night, and then leaving the next day. I don't know what's been done by whom before I get there or while I'm there. I don't know the other people, the other horses, or their background/care procedures. I don't know where they come from, where they've been, or what they've been doing. I can take care of my horses to the utmost degree of precaution, but when I leave my barn, I don't know what else is going on out there. I just worry about the obvious spreading of this virus, right now, and I can't help but get anxious when I think of it, in terms of upcoming travel, event stabling, and shows. Maybe jleegriffith and I are the only people who think I'm not being panicky and paranoid?

jkbarablover
Feb. 3, 2006, 10:22 AM
Well, I do know that Pimlico and Laurel are supposed to be under quarantine and that a horse this week has also tested positive at Bowie track... My friend that shows in that area was told it was ok if you had to show but if not it was better to stay home by her vet. Then again, everyone has his or her own opinions on this topic. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (However, this reminds me of the same thing that happened at Columbia a few months ago.)

RegentLion
Feb. 3, 2006, 10:31 AM
Where can I find "reader friendly" information about this disease?

I think someone in Lansing had a horse that contracted this...over a year ago. My fiance's relatives in fact. Some "Herpes" virus. The horse was taken to MSU and treated. I don't know more than this.

Meredith Clark mentioned giving her horse a live vacceine... what does this do?

Thanks.

mjedge808
Feb. 3, 2006, 10:46 AM
if you are looking for info, you might try contacting the vet school at Ohio State. they aided the University of Findlay when their english barn contracted the virus. there are two barns at Findlay, one is english (110 horses, including two year olds for starting) and the western (300+ incl. outside training horses). they are about 5 or so miles apart, but often W & E students share housing.

the barn was immediately quarantined when more than 20 horses had a fever. the students were limited to upper classmen only, were not allowed to have any contact with west. students, including in class, mess hall, dorm rooms, etc. many students doubled up to keep themselves and their clothes separated.

long story short, 110 horses: at one point 80% showed fever, i think about 15-20% showed neuro signs, they lost 14 horses. OSU came up immediately to help the vet staff, gathered a lot of information on the disease, and helped keep it from spreading.

results: the remaining horses recovered well, and not a single horse at the western or surrounding farms contracted it. it can be quarantined if done correctly.

i would quarantine all new horses on my property as well as those leaving. i hope i never have to go through what my buds did at Findlay, and i hope no one else does either.

sorry that was so long winded. have their been any other reports of EHV-1 aside from the MD cases? any in VA or PA? let's all hope Kim Morani's other horses come through okay.

mjedge808
Feb. 3, 2006, 10:48 AM
"the students were limited to upper classmen only"

mean to say the only students with access to the horses and the barn property were upper classmen. brain thought faster than fingers could type.

InVA
Feb. 3, 2006, 10:49 AM
Where did you read about Kim's horse? that's just awful!

mortly
Feb. 3, 2006, 11:44 AM
Just a quick question about quarantine - How do you guys do it?

Do you have separate stabling areas? Separate turn-out areas?

I'm very interested in knowing because I don't think there would be a way to quarantine at my barn. We have one barn with 13 stalls. How separate do you have to keep horses in order for quarantine to really be effective?

mjedge808
Feb. 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
i have a small paddock with run in behind the barn that is good for one/two horses. any one new goes there for a good two weeks. no one (horses) have complained yet. i don't have boarders though. anyone with boarders have a suggestion?

q's mom
Feb. 3, 2006, 12:11 PM
InVa-You can read about Kim's horse in Breaking News on the Chronicle's home page.

HT Mom
Feb. 3, 2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the information. This is great practice for all kinds of diseases, not just EHV. There has been an episode of strangles that was spread amongst several farms in our area. What I would like to see happen is a way to post to the various horse owners in an area when an outbreak of a contagious disease has occurred in your area. The reason behind this is one of the barns continued to go to schooling shows with their "uneffected" horses. This caused the outbreak to be spread to a lot more stables because the "uneffected" horses came down with the disease a few days after the show (i.e. they were contagious when they were at the show).

InVA: The outbreak is on the COTH Breaking News section.

Molly Sorge
Feb. 3, 2006, 12:56 PM
I'm a little bit disturbed by the some of the posts here which infer that Kim's management of this disease was in any way lacking. Kim is a thorough, professional horsewoman who has been doing this her entire lifetime. She's evented for more than 35 years, and her care of her horses is immpeccable.

She was shipped this filly by a friend of hers who assured her that she was healthy. The filly was turned out with others belonging to this friend. This is an airborne virus, and can be spread through handler contact. I'm sure you all practice strict quarantine procedures daily when receiving new horses, but be aware that diseases like this can strike. We should all be as diligent as possible.

The second Kim suspected her farm had a problem, she shut down. She's lost all her teaching and training income, which she lives on. Had Pimlico shut completely down with the first case they euthanized, instead of merely imposing a hold order on the one barn, this never would have happened to Kim.

Kim's friends are starting a campaign to have the quarantine policies changed to ensure that it's not possible to have an open, infected policy like Pimlico was. I know all of you are vocal and informed. What would help make a positive come out of this is if more people became aware and proactive. Kim has a friend who's sort of 'organizing the troops'--if you want her email, just email me at staff@chronofhorse.com and I'll connect you with her.

If you're in the area and worried, start writing letters to the departments of agriculture, vets, anyone who can help enact a more mandatory, strict quarantine process. Help keep this from happening to someone else...

Jleegriffith
Feb. 3, 2006, 01:08 PM
Molly- you are right it's not at all Kim's fault. It's very hard to quarantine a farm especially a training/sales barn. I read her letter and I can understand her frustration over the loss of horses and income because nobody was made aware in time.

It could have just as easily happened to our farm. We though we had made the purchase of a Canter Pa mare who was to be shipped the following day. We had no idea and the trainer of the mare said nothing about the outbreak at Pa. A kind cother pt me and gave me a heads up. We did not end up with the mare but say we had gotten her and she was infected by chance it could have infected our whole barn. I was lucky to know about it before we purchased another canter horse so I could have him stay there until we were safe.

I have been letting everyone in my area know what is going on. I live in De. but am not far from Kim. A lot of people in this area have no idea this is even out there. Even our local vet considers it no big deal.

From what I have heard Phil Park. did a much better job of shutting down the racetrack and closed down to allow the quarantine to work.

I will email you to see if I can help. I myself am very worried because I know the majority of people in my area are backyard horse owners who have no real sense of the danger this presents. It just takes on person coming into your farm to infect your horses.

I really am hoping Kim's horses pull through. I have helped her daughter with PC stuff and I know they are all devasted right now.

jkbarablover
Feb. 3, 2006, 01:18 PM
don't feel that Kim is being blamed for bad management. I feel that it was bad luck that the mare was shipped to her in supposedly good health and this could have happened to anyone or any of us!

mortly
Feb. 3, 2006, 01:26 PM
I really don't think anyone on here is critizing the way Kim handled things. I hope this thread serves as a wake-up call to other farms - it has for me at least. I read her letter and think she did everything she could to prevent it from going further.

I had read about the virus in other posts, but hadn't paid much attention to it because I thought it was isolated at a track. Now that I've learned about Kim's situation its made me step back and think - this could happen to anyone.

We don't have riding boarders, we take in racetrack lay-ups and racehorses for starting & breaking, so I guess thats why this has hit me. I live no where near MD, but thats not to say this couldn't happen anywhere. I am very curious to see how people deal with new horses coming into barns. Every barn I've ever been at has had no quarantine period. It would take so much dilligence to prevent a disease from spreading, without having the proper facilities (such as a quarantine-specialized facility) how does one really effectively quarantine a horse?

Anna79
Feb. 3, 2006, 01:44 PM
This is a press release from The Horse Magazine (http://www.thehorse.com), an excellent resource for horse health information. I thought this might be what some of you are looking for.

Veterinarian Suggests Owners Implement EHV-1 Preventive Measures

Press Release

February 1, 2006

In light of the current equine herpesvirus type-1 neurologic outbreaks, Rob Holland, DVM, senior veterinarian at Pfizer Animal Health, has suggested that owners take steps to prevent EHV-1 infection in their horses.

"Other than supportive therapies to reduce symptoms such as fever, there is no effective treatment once a horse has been infected with EHV-1," said Holland. "Owners may be able to reduce the risk of transmitting EHV-1 between horses by limiting or thoroughly disinfecting shared equipment, such as water buckets, bits, and lip chains."

EHV-1 commonly causes respiratory disease, but the virus can also affect the central nervous system, resulting in various levels of paralysis. Horses with mild signs usually have a good chance of recovery, but horses that become unable to stand have a poor survival rate. Horses can become infected without ever showing clinical signs, and they can act as carriers for the disease. Also, EHV-1 has the ability to become latent and hide from the immune system, and an infected horse may periodically shed the virus throughout its lifetime.

"I would recommend that healthy horses about to be shipped or exposed to unknown horses get vaccinated with Rhinomune according to label indications," said Holland. "This vaccine contains a modified live EHV-1 virus that triggers a very effective immune response."
In a limited study by Klaus Osterrieder, DVM, associate professor of virology in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University, horses were vaccinated against EHV-1 and then exposed to a strain of the virus retrieved from a 2003 outbreak at the University of Findlay in Ohio, in which more than 90% of 138 infected horses displayed neurological signs of EHV-1. According to the results of the study, presented in 2005
(www.TheHorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=5810), (http://www.TheHorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=5810),) horses vaccinated against EHV-1 using Rhinomune in a two dose booster series had consistently lower fevers, no neurological disorders, and less virus in nasal fluids, compared to those vaccinated with an inactivated vaccine, which employs a killed virus to activate an immune response.

Rhinomune is approved for use as an aid in preventing respiratory disease caused by EHV-1 and can be given to healthy horses three months of age or older. Pfizer says it is safe for pregnant mares past 60 days of gestation and has a low incidence of injection site reactions such as swelling and stiffness. Vaccination of all horses kept at a specific location is recommended to enhance herd immunity. After the initial series of two doses given three to four weeks apart, revaccination with a single dose is recommended every three months depending on the risk of exposure. Owners should discuss vaccination and booster schedules with their veterinarian to determine a program that best suits each horse.

For more information on Rhinomune, visit www.pfizer.com/equine (http://www.pfizer.com/equine).

Meredith Clark
Feb. 3, 2006, 02:17 PM
I don't think people were saying it was Kim's fault at all.

I know the idea I was trying to get across was that even some of the best quarantine proceedures can't prevent the virus from spreading. In outbreaks like these sometimes you just have to be as careful as you can and hope for the best.

I'm sure she was and continues to be careful and I wish her and her horses the best of health and good fortune!

rosijet
Feb. 3, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'm copying and pasting my post on the herpes thread on Horse Care. I absolutely agree with a good quarantine plan for new horses, but my experience leads me to believe we only know a tiny bit about this. Here's what happened:

I'd like to add my firsthand experience with this to show how little we really know about it.

My older, retired TB started acting weird one morning. His gums were pale and he was uncoordinated behind. He still had a good appetite and could walk in a straight line, but he was lifting his legs really high (almost like stringhalt) in the air when he walked.

I took him in for bloodwork and a neuro exam. My vet suspected West Nile (even though he'd been vaccinated) or that he ate some funny weed since we were in the drier part of summer and the grass quality was poor. She also had him tested for the herpes virus but truly did not think that was it.

It came back positive so we tested again and it came back positive again.

The freaky thing about this is that I had only three horses on my property. None of them had left the property in SIX months and no new horses had been on the property in that time. I also had not handled any horses myself other than my own and had no neighboring horses at that time.

We treated him with steroids and he recovered well. He can no longer have the Rhino vaccine or he has a horrible reaction. The one time he accidentally received the vaccine from a different vet he went down and became shocky with pale gums. We treated him with steroids again and he responded quickly.

My vet's theory is that he is a "carrier" and stress or something may trigger the outbreak. Funny thing is that this horse wasn't being ridden and hadn't been ridden for some time. He had 24/7 turnout with his two buddies and excellent quality food. Scary if that is considered a stressful life for a horse LOL.

fergie
Feb. 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
They can be carriers their whole lives. This too shall pass.

StrawberryFields
Feb. 4, 2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah my dressage trainer keeps her horse at Kim's place. I know her daughter, Kelly.the young horse they lost was kelly's horse. And Kim's **** mount is sick now too with the neurilogical signs. They dont think he will make it.

OhMissLibrarian
Feb. 4, 2006, 05:44 PM
Was wondering if it would be possible for someone to post Kims letter? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif It sounds like something that would benefit the education of the horse community (in general) in this situation, whether they are COTH subscribers or not, eventers or not, etc. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif
Thanks!

Bensmom
Feb. 4, 2006, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't normally re-post something from the subscriber's only section of the webiste, but because so many people here are concerned for Kim and because Kim seems anxious to get the word out, I'm reposting her letter:

Kim Meier-Morani's Struggle With Equine Herpesvirus
February 10, 2006 Issue
The below is a letter written by Kim Meier-Morani, the private farm owner in Worton, Md., who has had an outbreak of EHV-1 on her farm. Meier-Morani has been a professional event trainer and coach for more than 30 years. She's competed to the four-star level, and runs Seven Hills Farm, a boarding and training business on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The majority of Meier-Morani's competition horses have been the products of her own small breeding program. Her four-star horse—now infected with EHV-1--is of the third generation of that program.

How has this outbreak of EHV-1 affected me? For starters, I had to sit on the cement aisle of my barn in January, at 6 a.m, with my daughter's homebred not-even-5-year-old mare's head in my lap to cushion it when she spasmed in semi-paralysis for an hour until help came.

Then, after the vet promising not to let her smash her face in while I woke my daughter up to tell her her horse wasn't going to make it, I had to watch a 15-year-old stroke and cradle that head while the mare got put down. She was there when we dragged her horse out of the barn and pushed it onto the trailer. There is no easy or pretty way to do that.

Then I had to take care of the other 18 horses on the farm, finding a second one in the neurological stage and my own international eventer with a fever. My daughter helped me make the rounds of taking temperatures twice a day, giving medications, and holding the neurological horse as she staggered backwards and flipped over when being catheterized because of a paralyzed bladder.

More meds, less sleep. Calls from boarders, wanting to help but nothing they could do. Waiting for my next twice-daily email to see if their horse had a fever, or worse. Dreading getting up to see what was going to be wrong today.

Then, the wrong happens to be the horse it's taken me a lifetime to breed, train and learn how to ride; a dream horse who not only had the scope and uncommon ability to make a four star event not only doable but easy, but who was my best friend and soulmate; to have him go neuro. Watching him sway with no balance; the same horse who jumped into the head of the lake at Rolex, but now he can hardly make it across the indoor. Why is he in the indoor? So if he goes down we can more easily drag his body away.

So I think about how to make some good come of it. I want to notify all farms receiving horses from a track not yet completely quarantined, but I am told by the Maryland state Department of Agriculture that that's ridiculous. Ridiculous? Common sense or just plain good manners maybe, but ridiculous?

This decision-maker needs to watch "Outbreak"; he needs to be told how a disease spreads, and that information is the key to prevention. He needs to read the diary of anyone who's ever taken care of a horse who may die tomorrow, no matter what they do. He needs to LISTEN to vets about how the virus is mutating. He needs to educate that a Flu/Rhino shot lasts only 90 days, and make vaccinations at tracks as mandatory as vaccinating your child before they go to school.

Next I hear about how much money the racing industry is losing. If it takes $5,000 a year to keep a horse, then including the year in utero I had $30,000 in my daughters horse, not counting the fact that she was talented and we loved her. It's winter, so I don't teach more than $600 worth a week. I was riding 5 horses in training, or $2500 per month plus $2500 in board. I called off three potential buyers coming to look in the first week alone, at horses priced at $10,$12 and $25K. I may lose my best horse. I may get sued by a boarder should they lose their horse. Do the math.

My life is out of my control. If I had been informed about what was floating around the place a horse came from, I could have been in control of my life and said either sure, I'll risk it, or more likely, no thanks. But I wasn't given that option. What's killing me and my horses may not have come from the track, but using logic and veterinary science and the laws of probability, I'd bet it did.

My friends and boarders are in an uproar to close down the track, and sue Pimlico. But my whole concern is that I DON'T WANT THEM TO MOVE HORSES IN OR OUT because, and this is the point everyone seems to be missing, I don't want anyone else to go through this; it's not fair to the horses or their people.

I want it to be mandatory for owners and/or trainers of horses coming in, or to receiving barns to be notified that there is a possibility to have contact with the virus. Get it straight that contagious is contagious, and highly contagious or somewhat contagious i s dangerous when it can kill you. A little contagious is like a little pregnant; it's a black/white situation.

Maryland State Veterinarian Dr. Guy Hohenhaus says he cannot do that. I think it would take a couple of sheets of plywood and some paint, or half hour at a typewriter and about 15 min with a copier.

There was an alleged case in Delaware, which later was confirmed negative. But officials in Delaware already had a plan to close ALL the tracks in the state should it be positive. Every vet I've talked to thinks the system is wrong, that the tracks should be quarantined, and one even outright called it a cover-up.

Fact: I had 20 horses, 8 got fevers, 3 went neurological, and one died, so far. One left the property. I was shut down an hour after the death and it was yet undiagnosed.

Pimlico has 500 horses, at least 11 symptomatic and 4 deaths. How many have left or entered the property? How long before they were quarantined?

With the help of my friends and clients, I want to let people know how devastating this disease is, through articles or websites of organizations. I want vets to know how to spot and treat this BEFORE a clients horse gets it, and teach them how to prevent it (no, there are no guaranteed measures, but plenty that can help keep it to a dull roar). I want laws that make it mandatory for any horse exiting a facility housing a potentially deadly virus be accompanied by a paper saying such for the person receiving it. I had a horse ship off my farm 3 days after the first temp here, and the new owners were informed to keep him separate for a while and take his temp, and that was before I had any idea it could be this bad. I did this so no one else's horses got sick. And I thought that's what the Department of Agriculture's job was.

My heart goes out to her and her family. I can let anyone concerned know that the FL Dept of Ag is Very Concerned about this situation and the equine vet is on top of it and doing all he can to make certain that infected horses don't ship in here. There is no perfect system and people will always try to get around rules, but Florida is trying hard to see that it doesn't come in here.

If anyone knows of any horses that are "suspect" in Florida that might have shipped in from one of the tracks, please PT me.

Thanks,

Libby

OhMissLibrarian
Feb. 4, 2006, 06:12 PM
Thank you Bensmom.
We,as horsepeople (regardless of discipline) need to get the word out. The more the general horse owning community gets educated about this with the facts, the better off we all will be.

2ndyrgal
Feb. 4, 2006, 06:52 PM
It seems that some states OH,KY get it right, great vet clinics, not afraid of quaranteen. I had a horse several years ago get salmonella as a result of colic surgery. I had specific directions on "sterile precautions" I used nothing on him or his stall on any other horse, including a pitchfork or wheelbarrow for 2 weeks and 2 negative tests. It was a pain, but he wasn't going to die from it. I think since just due to the shipping from one place to another that racehorses do, via Sallee, Brookledge, whoever and where ever, that not only the individual state agriculture offices should be involved, but the JC , USTA, and the racing commissions. This stuff is beyond nasty, a good friend of mine lost one of the Findley horses and it is an awful way to die. I just sent in my $100 to USET, wish I had sent it to Kim. Though money cannot begin to replace what she has already lost.

mairzeadoats
Feb. 4, 2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Meredith Clark:

The virus can travel by air 35miles.

Um, I think you meant to write 35 feet (by a cough).

Ethalo2
Feb. 4, 2006, 07:32 PM
For truly updated information you can go to the Dept of Agriculture Maryland and check the news releases. If you really want to get irritated go to the racing BB, IMHO I realize that we care deeply for our horses and the jobs that they do for us but it seems as though those people are only concerned about the money they are loosing. I realize this is their lively hood but I hate that any additional horses have the chance to be infected.

Meredith Clark
Feb. 4, 2006, 07:44 PM
Yes...my bad. 35 feet

Tara N
Feb. 4, 2006, 08:15 PM
My place is in Va. but for now my horses are down south with me. A few weeks ago a sheriff thought horses that had gotten out of a pasture were from our place. My husband came out as the sheriff was putting a chain around the gate. He told my husband I got your horses back in for you. He was told they didn't belong to us. Anyhow it took about most of the day for my husband to find the owners.
With everything going on around it upset me since i don't know about these horses care.
The guy across the street from me wants to use one of my fields to put his horses in while it seeds in pasture.
My non horsey husband thinks I am over reacting since i don't want any horses that aren't mine in my pastures. Since my husband had to go out of town for a week he put a chain with lock on gate to keep anyone from putting any horses in field since i wanted him to. What do you think?

Spotted Draft
Feb. 4, 2006, 10:03 PM
here is a link for the dept. of Agriculture :
http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=2110
it has all the daily updates and press releases.
I board at a barn in Harford County, Maryland, and we always quaratine every new boarder for two weeks. They have a seperate paddock at the end of the property that they use for quaratine.
My barn manager has announced we are going on unoffical lock down - no shows, outside lessons, clinics or trail riding for the next couple months. And if a horse leaves the property, it will be immediatley quaratined for 3 weeks upon its return. Its depressing for those of us that have been training thru the winter in prepartion for spring shows, but i geuss its for the best, especially considering we are dealing with such a serious virus. But defiantley check out this link :
http://www.mda.state.md.us/article.php?i=2110, they update it almost daily and it helps with the rumors.

Chanter
Feb. 4, 2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Molly Sorge:
I'm a little bit disturbed by the some of the posts here which infer that Kim's management of this disease was in any way lacking. ...

HUH? I have not read a single negative thing about Kim in this thread. Care to explain, Molly, why you are throwing rocks at others?

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Feb. 5, 2006, 07:38 AM
Anybody know how long after an outbreak a place needs to stay quarantined to prevent further transmission? Just thinking in addition to the stress, work, and heartbreak of caring for sick horses, what a blow not to be able to continue normal lessons and training!

fish
Feb. 5, 2006, 08:29 AM
MY colt was at Columbia Horse Center in Md. the night 3 horses died of herpes last year (with other losses shortly after). I felt fortunate that we were allowed to leave, and called both my own vets and the Md. state vets. as soon as we got home. The instructions were for a 21 day quarantine from the last day anywhere near afflicted animals, during which nothing that touched my colt was to come within 35 feet of another horse, and I was to take my colt's temperature twice/day.

Columbia Horse Center was subject to 2 waves of the disease that I know of. The efffects on that facility were, indeed, devastating. With everyone in sterile gowns from head to toe, one afflicted horse in a borrowed sling, barns full of horses kept not only from work, but also regular turnout etc., etc., the scene rivaled any sci-fi horror film I can think of.

elizabeth Callahan
Feb. 5, 2006, 08:38 AM
This is from an owner who just lots her horse last night. I'm still crying after reading it. Please go hug your horses today and think of those owners who have lost so much
Â*
I am grateful to everyone for their thoughts and prayers and well wishes. I have not slept most of the night. This has been an unbelievable turn of events. I started early this morning and wrote about Pet.Â* As has been over the last week or so, it is the only way that I can deal with all of this. Â*Please feel free to distribute to whomever you think would benefit. Â*
Â*
Â*
Â*
Pet
1999-2006
Â*
Her name was Test Pattern, she was a 16.2, chestnut thoroughbred mare, seven-years old this spring, a top-preliminary eventing champion.Â* Kim (her breeder and trainer) told me that they started with “Pat” but it didn’t fit, so Pet was the name that evolved for this beautiful animal, who was more dog than horse.
Â*
I have pretty much started everything in life a little late.Â* I always loved horses and my family actually won a horse at a soccer game in Kansas City, who turned out to be in foal, so actually I guess I won two horses, Craemer and Gidget whose fates are still unknown to me, as we were not financially equipped to keep those horses.Â* We ended up at Kim’s farm by chance, when our daughter needed to move her long-outgrown pony from another barn.Â* I would wander around the farm and look at these beautiful animals, Pet was the special one.Â* I met her when she was three, I was forty-three (I really meant late in life).Â* I hadn’t ridden a horse since Gidget, when I was 9. which at that point consisted of a bareback mount around the back-yard.
Â*
I took lessons at the barn on another horse for about 9 months and then the owners asked if I wanted to buy Pet.Â* Again in the position of not being able to afford either the purchase or the board, my dear husband gave a nod and the newest member of our family was added.Â* I never sat on Pet before we bought her. I was terrified and excited all at the same time.Â* Terrified perhaps by the knowledge of the dangers of the sport and the too much realization of my age, I preceded at a walk and then a trot on this fairly newly broken young mare. Kim used to refer to us as “learning together.”Â* I was blessed with a trainer who was long on patience with me and terrifically talented and dedicated to her horses.
Â*
Our first months were a little bumpy,Â* Pet clipped a rail injured her leg and we walked and walked and walked until she got better.Â* By the end of winter in 2004,Â* Pet was ready to do some competing.Â* And so, Kim and Pet launched into the event world that spring, owner in tow, most of time soaking up anything and everything about what they were doing (I had no clue).Â* I guess that it was early April that year that my husband and I also found out that we were pregnant with twins ( I really meant that I started everything a little late).Â* So far as the horse went though, we never missed a beat, Kim and I decided I would help her train Pet (she was always very generous on my side of the contribution here, I groomed and she trained.) and she would continue to compete her.
Â*
There were more than a few people who gasped when I told them I was having twins, even more when I told them that I rode Pet (a five year old then) until I was about five-months pregnant.Â* Granted, we were not galloping in some open field, we were just doing our walk-trot thing around the indoor ring.Â* When I couldn’t’ ride anymore, I spent all my ride-time, helping Kim with Pet. I watched the majority of her training, I groomed and washed her everyday and I intently watched as she and KimÂ* had a great time together out there doing their thing.Â* It was an experience I will always cherish.Â*
Â*
The last competition that year was in late October.Â* My husband and I drove three uncomfortable hours to the event (I was eight months pregnant) to watch Kim and Pet take home 2nd place.Â* Frank has always supported my enthusiasm with Pet, even when it meant he had to drive me, the time together offered an opportunity to talk (we also have a 10 and 13 year old) about whatever was happening in our lives, but mostly we just gushed about Kim and Pet.
Â*
In November, 2004 Jack and Nellie arrived (and yes, they are the most beautiful babies).Â* Life changed for me in a lot of ways, with a part of that figuring out how to find the time to ride Pet and get back to the barn.Â* I can’t say I jumped right back in. I think it was late January before I actually sat on Pet again.Â* And, true to form, we started to do that walk-trot (and now canter and a few jumps ) thing.Â* Pet was an amazing animal, she could go out and do these amazing athletic events and then stand by the truck as if she were out in the field grazing.Â*
Â*
My sister, who is deathly afraid of horses, brought her three kids out to visit (all teenagers).Â* Of course, I had to take them to the barn.Â* I was so proud of Pet, she was so special.Â* All the kids jumped on to “take a ride” around the indoor ring.Â* I will never forget my 16 year-ld nephew doing the giddy-up thing and Pet just walking lazily along.Â* By the end of the six kids taking a ride on Pet, my sister, after witnessing the gentleness of this creature, set her camera down and took a ride on Pet.Â* Pet will never understand the incredible gap that she closed from sheer terror to “that wasn’t half bad.”Â*
Â*
Pet was just a wonderful horse.Â* She was the alpha-mare bitch in the field, she was a tough and talented competitor and she was my friend.Â*
Â*
Almost 10 days ago, we lost her Pet’s full sister Ting (Just Testing) to the neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1).Â*Â* How this virus traveled to our barn is a horrific act of negligence by “some” in the racing industry but certainly not the focus of this memorial.Â* Approximately 3-days prior to Ting’s death, Kim was notified that one of the horses who had been shipped to the farm, had co-existed in a barn that had a confirmed death from the neurological form of EHV-1 at the race track.Â* Even though Kim took precautionary steps to segregate this horse upon its arrival to the farm, the notification came too late.Â* The barn had contracted this deadly disease.Â*
Â*
After a significant amount of research and fueled by a pit in my stomach that kept me up at night,Â* I discovered that in actuality, there had been three horses put down at this track, all confirmed with EHV-1 and all in different barns.Â* Â*Now with Ting’s death, another horse going “neuro”Â* and other fevers at the farm, Kim was catapulted from national event-rider/competitor, trainer and horse owner into a one-person 24-hour horse nursing care provider for all of these precious animals.Â* Kim took temperatures on eighteen horses two to three times a day.Â* Each day some progress, each day some set backs, as another horse begins showing neurological symptoms and another treated horse begins to recover.
Â*
Pet showed an elevated temperature one day, that was normal the next.. She bounced a couple of times but the pit in my stomach stayed firmly in place.Â* I felt helpless beyond words to support Kim during this crisis and would run supplies, paint and food to her so that she could stay focused on the animals.Â* When I walked into the indoor ring that morning to see Pet, I knew.Â* She was different.Â* I don’t know how to describe it in technical words or maybe even in horse language, but it looked like every muscle in her back had just let go.Â* She was standing, moving, albeit dragging her feet, and if you didn’t know her you would just think that she didn’t feel good.Â* I think that what I saw was in her eyes.Â* Obviously, horses can’t talk, and it is weird because my babies don’t talk either, but I can tell the cry of pain, or “I just lost my binky, or even “Jack just took my toy.”Â* Maybe it is being a new mom, maybe it is a tuition thing, maybe it was just the pit in my stomach, but I knew something was really wrong.Â* I called the vet and I spoke with Kim and everyone assured me that horses recover from this and that she was not as bad as Terra or Meryl.
Â*
The next morning when I got to the barn the DiDi (our vet) was there with Kim in the ring.Â* They had already catheterized Pet, as her bladder was paralyzed.Â* She was up, but staggering, unsteady and continually moving right to catch her balance.Â* You could tell that she just wanted to lean against something.Â* Didi asked me to call the hospital to get another catheter so we could put it in her.Â* In the time that I went to make the call in the house, Pet went down.Â* Before I left for the hospital, I ran to see Pet, she was on her right side and Kim, Kelly and Didi were rubbing her legs and stroking her neck.Â* That damn pit in my stomach. I drove madly to the hospital, where the very concerned hospital administrator laid out for me 4 different catheters. I picked the largest and the smallest hoping they would be the right ones.
Â*
After the half hour drive to and from the hospital, I arrived back at the farm, where the very
concerned State Vet personnel were talking with Kim and Didi.Â* They did not go see Pet, they did understand our concern and left some “biosecurity booties” and literature on the disease.Â* Upon entering the ring, Pet was still on her right side and Didi was in process of inserting the catheter to which Pet objected thoroughly (which was a good sign).Â* We then tried to get her up.Â*
Â*
I’ve never witnessed a horse that can’t rise. I don’t ever want to watch it again.Â* After her third or forth attempt, I had to go outside. I couldn’t watch anymore.Â* It was pouring rain, I paced frantically, it was beyond description. I went back to the ring and they were going to try again. Pet was pissed.Â* We were trying to get her on her left side, no way, she rolled she put her feet out and everyone rapidly pulled the ropes off her so she wouldn’t get tangled.Â* She stood.
Â*
Pet wandered around the indoor without stopping for about 15 minutes. I had my husband run and get her treats, from the other barn.. I grabbed small bits of hay to feed her. I walked with her the entire time. I feed her all her treats and continued her hay. We set up the barrels to put the hay on and her water. She wandered to the other side of the ring and started to stagger. She was desperately trying to catch herself. She crashed into the barrels, her hind legs unable to hold her anymore and she was down.
Â*
We all stopped, took a break. Didi left. We all went into the house and ate.Â* It was a waiting game. She needed to rest.Â* I went to the barn before I went home to relieve our babysitter and told her how proud I was of her. She was a fighter and she would get better.
Â*
On my way home, I called my sister in Kansas. I sobbed.Â* I just could not help her. I was so afraid and this damn knot in my stomach.Â* I talked to the vet again, she was now at home.Â* I told her to tell me what was the worst thing that could happen. I wanted to know. I needed to be prepared.Â* i got home and fed the babies. Nellie could not sleep. She cried and cried. I cried and cried.Â* My husband called a few hours later, no change. Pet was on her side, they were rolling her every couple of hours.Â* He called again to say he was coming home.Â* Five minutes later Kim called. She’s worse.
Â*
On the way to the barn my knot went away, I knew.Â* I got in the indoor ring. Kim and Kelly were laying with Pet. Kim at her head, Kelly on her body.Â* Pet was spasming every 10 seconds or so.Â* I took my place at her neck and told her it was ok.Â* She needed to let go, it was ok.Â* The half an hour that it took the vet to get there was a life altering experience.Â* Pet seemed to have less intense spasms, it was more involuntary than anything.Â*
Â*
Didi arrived she looked at Pet, checked her eyes, her heart, touched her legs and looked directly at me and said “ I can sedate her which will prolong her life, but I can not guaranty that she will be any different when she wakes up.”Â* I told her that I did not know my options. I wanted her to tell me what to do.Â* She looked at me directly and said “you should put her down.”Â* I shook my head, I could not talk.Â* Didi went to the truck. I walked around to Pet’s head. I said goodbye. We all told her how much we loved her, how special she was and how blessed we were to have her as a part of our lives.
Â*
Today, Pet is up there jumping big fences, grazing green fields and being the alpha-bitch of heaven.Â* I am down here, today, broken-hearted but thanking God for gracing my life and giving me the opportunity and privilege of knowing this wonderful and beautiful animal, Pet.

alterforsaftey
Feb. 5, 2006, 09:17 AM
I can not even imagine what you folks are going through. My sunday morning has been spent with kleenex as I read through the heartbreaking posts!

So obviously the horses at the track were not vaccinated but they came to Kim's and infected vaccinated horses? That is the only thing I am not clear on? Can a vaccinated horse still be infected? we are a on strict every 3 months shots schedule as we reside on property that had a lot of traffic.

persefne
Feb. 5, 2006, 09:20 AM
Chanter, I thought the same thing, too. That tricky little word "infer," though, made me feel a bit better about it. Too subjective a concept for me to really think it applied to what we were actually saying. Molly should know, by now, that most of us talk A LOT about "ourselves" (me, definitely!) and what we say usually is not an attempt to criticize or attack someone else, and probably has nothing to do with anyone else specifically -- albeit their situation may have sparked the ensuing discussion. I didn't see anything on here, prior to that post, really, that was negative in any way about Kim: other than the fact that the tragedy at her barn is yet another sad example of what is currently happening due to the virus outbreak.

annikak
Feb. 5, 2006, 09:29 AM
I can hardly imagine what she as well as Kim is going thru as I type this thru tears- What a sad and horrible thing that poor woman had had to go thru- Thank you for posting that.
While I know that Pet is "up there", I know that the pain of not having such a special horse with you must be horrible. I am so very very sorry for her and for everyone at Kims barn. She has done the right thing- its a shame that others might not have.

annika

Avra
Feb. 5, 2006, 10:50 AM
Horses that have been vaccinated can absolutely get (and carry) the virus. However, our vet reccomends vaccinating with the live virus. (Rhinomune is the commercial name.) As with most vaccinations, you have to do a series of 2, three weeks apart, the first time that you do it--then every ninety days thereafter. We are vaccinating every horse on our farm with it.

Rockin'
Feb. 5, 2006, 11:01 AM
Words cannot describe the pain I feel for you having to go through this with your very special beautiful mare. Thank-you for sharing her story with us.I can only hope that time will ease your loss.

baileygreyhorse
Feb. 5, 2006, 03:50 PM
Godspeed, Pet. This whole situation is so sad and scary. Is any horse safe? Can I buy three plastic bubbles for my boys? How long will it be before any of us will feel safe taking a horse off property? It's a very sad day in MD. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif

Sandman
Feb. 5, 2006, 09:50 PM
Any news about Test Run? Is he doing better? This is just such a horrible thing for her and her barn to have to go through. Each of these deaths is so awful; I just hope she doesn't lose that horse, too.

Ruth0552
Feb. 6, 2006, 07:23 AM
I still have some questions about the vaccine...

Do all Rhino vaccinations contain the EHV vaccination? Or just "Rhinomune"?

I am also curious about the length of time that the shot lasts... Around here people vaccinate for Rhino/Flu in the spring and fall. Do all Rhino/Flu vaccinations only last for 90 days or is it just the Rhinomune? If they do, it sounds like we should vaccinate for Rhino/Flu once in the middle of the summer also, at least! When people are actually going off the farm to shows and stuff.

Now my last ignorant horse health question:

Why is it called Equine Herpes Virus? I have read a lot about it in the last several years as awareness has escalated and the virus has grown (grown? spread? whatever). We all now what human herpes is, but why use that name for this virus in horses. I feel like I read once that it was called this because they thought it was only spread by breeding to begin with, before they knew more about it. But I'm not sure. Anybody?

If somebody would answer my questions I would be very grateful!!

SmileGee
Feb. 6, 2006, 08:26 AM
I am sobbing as I am reading about Pet and the struggles that Kim's barn is facing...I cannot even imagine... I was wondering if there were any updates???? Test Run???? Also, I was wondering if Kim's stable had a website?

Shaq
Feb. 6, 2006, 09:04 AM
Here is a link that discusses the disease and also has Kim's input

http://forum.equisearch.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=98915&Main=98908

Noctis
Feb. 6, 2006, 09:17 AM
oh god. just finally got around to reading this (im a wuss about losing horses) and read about Pet. Huge hugs to the owner. *sigh* Yep, Luke is going in a bubble...even though we are in TN.

mjedge808
Feb. 6, 2006, 10:37 AM
If anyone has contact with Kim, please let her know that we all are thinking of her and praying for her, her daughter and all of their horses. i can't imagine losing my horse. he's the greatest gift i've ever had. i feel so much grief for Kim, Kelly, and Pet's owner and friends.

i think we all should take a serious look at our own procedures and have a plan if this *God Forbid* should come upon us. Not only this, but any communicable disease. Potomac horse fever, EIA, whatever the case. i think there are too many of us that become complacent thinking that 'it won't happen to my horses' (and i include myself in that, too, i get too complacent sometimes when i don't have newcomers).

i have neighbors with horses, and i don't keep track of who comes and goes on their properties. i know i need a better plan if something should happen.

thank you to Shaq for posting the link.

again, my deepest sympathies for Kim and her friends/clients.

sapphire bay
Feb. 6, 2006, 01:10 PM
in response to a previous post - our vet recommended that we give the flu/rhino (not the modified live vaccine - Rhinomune) - 4X a year if you are taking your horses off the property - or they are exposed to new horses regularly - showing, traveling for lessons, etc. - she recommended not to use the rhinomune because she did not feel that it protected that much more and it did cause more reactions in the horses - but i have read different opinions on this -

herpes is the name for the virus - just like in people the different forms of the herpes virus can cause a cold sore, genital herpes, chicken pox, or shingles - from what i have read, many animals have their own type of herpes virus - but are not zoonotic - or transferrable b/w species - but they can affect different systems of their bodies - i also read that it was referred to as the rhino viurs in horses b/c of how one of the forms can affect the respiratory system (rhino - nose - in Latin)

pet's mom
Feb. 6, 2006, 02:24 PM
i have never posted here, so i am not sure if i a doing it right....
i have read lots of the information here and just wanted to update folks. i was Pet's owner, but Kim bred, raised, trained and competed pet. she was such a great horse. didi posted earlier the tribute that i wrote to pet. i hope that everyone will understand the horrific ramifications of this deadly virus. there are no new temperatures at the barn since pet (last monday -hers started). test run (meryle) was one of the horses that developed neurological symptoms. he is getting better everyday, but is not back to "normal." Terra the other mare that had neurological symptoms is also improving daily. all of these horses are kim's homebred babies. though i have had tremendous respect and regard for kim as a horse person...she has been elevated to sainthood as a result of this outbreak. she is working around the clock at that farm to take care of her animals (and the boarders). the pressures and stress are indescribable. my husband called from the barn on saturday (i had to leave to because it was just excruciating to watch pet). when he arrived at the barn in the afternoon the sun was setting, he walked into the indoor. kim's back was to the entrance. she was sitting by herself with pet, her head in her lap and propped up on a bale of hay to relief the pressure. she was sitting there talking to pet, stroking her neck and muzzle. kim never left her side the rest of the day. pet was blessed with a life surrounded by people who truely loved her. kim had the priviledge of watching her birth, training her, competing her and unfortunately witnessed the horror of her death. as we are gathering our wits, we will be doing everything we possibly can to make a difference in the horse community to change the notice requirements when a deadly virus is present on a premises. kim can use all the prayers that are out there (and then some) and any support or information that can help us prevent this from happening in the future.

(for those who don't know, this virus was brought to the farm by a horse that was boarded two nights at Pimlico race track in transit from florida...not to bore with the details, but they are critically important in understanding communicative disesaes. the track/state did not release information about the ehv-1 virus that had already taken two horses there(beginning on january 2nd) until it was too late. practices by the state vet and the track are being reviewed by myself and others in understanding how/why they were not held to the same level of diligence as kim's farm, that was quarantined an hour after their arrival. the concern being the high level of traffic at the race track and the lack of notice to owners/trainers/managers of a potentially deadly disease). any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to email me @ shnewt@verizon.net.
i will communicate the thoughts here to kim and let her know the community concern. thank you for all these wonderful posts....susan

NeverTime
Feb. 6, 2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the update, Pet's Mom. Please let Kim know that all our thoughts and prayers are with her. This is too sad for words, and I can't imagine the toll it's taking on her, on top of everything else she's trying to do single-handedly.
Big hugs to you, her and the rest of the crew there.

Badger
Feb. 6, 2006, 04:04 PM
Thank you for your post, Pet's Mom. Your story and Kim's are powerful messages about this and other communical diseases, and they serve as an education and a wake-up call to each and every one of us. My heart goes our to you and Kim and everyone effected by this. We are all pulling for Test Run and appreciate the updates.

Noctis
Feb. 6, 2006, 04:25 PM
oh pets mom, huge hugs to you. Thanks for the additional information. I am so glad that I am here in TN, we had horses from the track when i was in MD all the time, and yeah. Pulling and jingling for Test Run also!

alterforsaftey
Feb. 6, 2006, 04:42 PM
Of course there are not words Pet's mom to make you feel better and I am sorry for your loss.. and of course have cried all the way through reading this whole thread ;-(

Did the horse from Florida have to be destroyed? This horse infected horses at Pimlico as well as at Kim's..?

It is just scary if I am reading it correctly that the horses were all vaccinated (at Kim's) and they can contract the disease anyhow? How much protection then does the vaccine give you anyhow?

StrawberryFields
Feb. 6, 2006, 04:58 PM
Our pony club sent her a card with words of encouragement on it. We all feel terribly about what happened.

Gunnar
Feb. 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
To Pets Mom and Kim my heart aches for you. Pet sounds like a special girl. I am so sorry but I do want to thank you for the tribute you wrote to Pet. It made my heart ache but it also made me smile at the love and care she got and she gave!

Godspeed to you Pet!

I am still jingling for the others!

theblondejumper
Feb. 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
I go to school with Mrs. Morani's daughter. Just wanted to let everyone know that all of her horses are in quarantine for the next three weeks to a month. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.

I've been reading updates on the virus in the paper. There was a horse found with the virus at Bowie Training Center. Because of the outbreak many horse shows in the area are being cancelled.

Please keep everyone affected in your prayers.

ETA: Everyone in the Maryland area, PLEASE PLEASE pay the $20 it costs to get your horse vaccinated. It's not too expensive and it protects your horse for up to 90 days.

Shaq
Feb. 6, 2006, 07:07 PM
Bowie Race track does not have Herpes. See below

Feb 04, 2006
BOWIE HORSE TESTS NEGATIVE FOR EQUINE HERPESVIRUS - Maryland Jockey Club News Release

LAUREL, MD. 02-04-06---Blood samples and nasal swabs confirmed the Bowie horse sent to isolation by trainer Chris Grove Wednesday does not have equine herpesvirus (EHV-1). The Maryland Department of Agriculture has not officially lifted the seven-day “Investigational Hold Order” on Barn 1 at the Bowie Training Center. Grove’s horses will not be allowed to train or race until that decision has been made.

“Obviously we are delighted to hear that the suspicious case at Bowie was not the equine herpesvirus but apparently a case of EPM as we thought it may have been after learning of the horses background,” said Maryland Jockey Club Chief Operating Officer Lou Raffetto. “We look at this as one of the first breaks we’ve gotten since the outbreaks.”

Raffetto plans to lift the quarantine on Pimlico Race Course effective next Wednesday, Feb 8, if there are no additional outbreaks at the legendary Baltimore track. Three horses in three different barns have been euthanized since Jan 2. The last clinical case of the virus at Pimlico happened Thursday, Jan 19.

Anticipating the removal of the quarantine at Pimlico, the Laurel Park racing office took entries from Pimlico-based trainers yesterday for next Wednesday’s card. Eleven conditioners entered 14 horses for the nine-race program. The Maryland Jockey Club placed Pimlico on quarantine Jan 21, closing movement to and from the facility, due to the outbreak of equine herpesvirus. Another 15 horses are on the overnight from Pimlico for the Feb 9 card. The racing office will take entries for the Feb 10 program tomorrow.

pet's mom
Feb. 7, 2006, 05:44 AM
i thought i would just pop in and give an update from Kim. There have been no new temperatures at the farm since last monday. the last temp was Pet. The two neuro horses Terra and Meryle are both making steady progress everyday. And though progress is being made, they both have a ways to go to return to normal.

On a different front, Kim has been recording every temp/medication/ symptoms and recovery on every horse. Last night i put all of that into a schedule to send to Dr. George Allen, who is the expert on research on this disease. I spoke with him at length about all of our issues and asked if this information could be helpful.

His response was that many of the horses that he gets samples have already progressed to the point that they have to be euthanized. kim has been so diligent in collecting all of this information that it should help him. we are also sending the layout of the farm, barn and movement of the horses on the property over the period. This has been tremendously hard to deal with and i am just hoping that somehow this will help others.

Most of all though, I really miss Pet....

Evalee Hunter
Feb. 7, 2006, 05:54 AM
Posted by theblondjumper:

ETA: Everyone in the Maryland area, PLEASE PLEASE pay the $20 it costs to get your horse vaccinated. It's not too expensive and it protects your horse for up to 90 days.

Vaccinated with what? To protect against what? Vaccinating with the usual rhino vaccine (killed virus) does NOT protect against the neurological form - in fact, the more frequently horses are vaccinated, the more likely they are to develop the neurologic form of rhino!! If, for example, you vaccinate with killed virus every 60 days, you actually INCREASE your horse's chance of developing the neurologic form if they are exposed. Also, horses cannot be vaccinated after they are exposed. It **appears** that Rhinomune (live virus) does protect against the neurologic form, so you might decide, in conjunction with your veterinarian, to use that vaccine.

My point: Please do not, across the board, advocate vaccination. That is something (what type of vaccine, the timing of the vaccine) that needs to be decided after discussion with your veterinarian, even if you administer your own vaccines. I am opposed to both the "don't vaccinate" and the "stick 'em frequently" camps, personally.

SmileGee
Feb. 7, 2006, 05:57 AM
petsmom, I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to her was beautiful...She was a lucky horse to have so many humans that loved her. Please send along my prayers to Kim and her entire family. My thoughts are with you. I just lost my dog in a tragic accident so I know how you feel...the pain is almost unbearable. Just know that you will love again...

retreadeventer
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:46 AM
Just a "Donations" Heads Up:
With regard to donations to help Kim Morani; Area II adult riders on their list has pledged to help. We are sending donations to a volunteer, Melissa Stubenburg. I don't want to post her address here without her permission but anyone who is interested in helping out please email her, I think she posts on COTH too. Molly Sorge, can you be sure to hook up with her? PT me if you need address or email. She's got a blackberry so she checks messages all the time. If any one else wants to contribute, maybe we can coordinate this with one entity for simplicity.

Ruth0552
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:22 AM
Sapphire Bay, thank you for answering my questions, though it sounds like the jurys still out on the vaccine issue!

Pets Mom, I am so so sorry for your loss. Please tell Kim that the rest of the Equine community if rooting for her...

findeight
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:44 AM
We went a few rounds with this a couple of years ago with the Findley outbreak.
I stable in a large and active show barn so it was a concern.

Anything shipping in was either held out at the origination point or quarantined in a small barn usually used for the schoolies (they were in the main barn for the winter in stalls vacated by the Florida string) well away from any resident horses/ponies.
I believe we cancelled an in barn show and I know the local show string stayed home from any winter indoor shows.
Nothing was shipped out during this time either.

The barn was scrubbed, all equipment disinfected. The doors were open to ventilate and circulate the cold air.

We had no sick horses, just some cold riders.

Common sense really. But horses do get sick, especially in confined quarters. Knowing the normal temp and behavior for anything in the barn is a great start to heading off the spread of something like this.

mbj
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:58 AM
Thank-you so much for the wonderful tribute to pet as well as the informative updates. My heart goes out to you and all others at the farm.

eks
Feb. 7, 2006, 08:45 AM
Petsmom,

I am so sorry for your loss. What a heart wrenching, beautiful tribute you wrote to your
wonderful mare. She was lucky to have you and your family love her for the time she was here.

You, Kim and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you also for trying to help compile info about this terrible disease to try to help future horses/owners.

rocking horse
Feb. 7, 2006, 10:01 AM
Common sense really. But horses do get sick, especially in confined quarters. Knowing the normal temp and behavior for anything in the barn is a great start to heading off the spread of something like this.

Just like findeight said above. I grew up on a farm where we had to take our horses/ponies temperatures every day before we rode and recorded in a book that was kept in the barn. It helped us to know if something was starting to happen with our horse because we knew what their normal temps were.

fergie
Feb. 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
That's actually a good idea.

mjedge808
Feb. 7, 2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rocking horse:
I grew up on a farm where we had to take our horses/ponies temperatures every day before we rode and recorded in a book that was kept in the barn. It helped us to know if something was starting to happen with our horse because we knew what their normal temps were.

they also did that at Findlay, which was one reason they were able to catch their outbreak so fast.

i think it's a great idea. when my horse was in training at a big barn we did that, and it saved his life. he had a bad reaction to a strangles vaccine and his temp shot up from normal (for him 98.7) to 104.4 before we could bring it down. thank goodness, we did, but i was grateful i did that each day so i had a standard temp.

in any case, i like doing it (well, i don't LIKE taking it, but you know what i mean!) and it only takes a minute.

Pet's Mom, I am in awe of your strength right now. To be able to know that even though your baby is not with you, in her death, she can help other horses with Kim's notes and Dr. Allen's research, must help a little. It doesn't go away, but eventually the pain eases. my heart aches for you.

Equinetech
Feb. 7, 2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Evalee Hunter:

Vaccinated with what? To protect against what? Vaccinating with the usual rhino vaccine (killed virus) does NOT protect against the neurological form - in fact, the more frequently horses are vaccinated, the more likely they are to develop the neurologic form of rhino!! If, for example, you vaccinate with killed virus every 60 days, you actually INCREASE your horse's chance of developing the neurologic form if they are exposed. Also, horses cannot be vaccinated after they are exposed. It **appears** that Rhinomune (live virus) does protect against the neurologic form, so you might decide, in conjunction with your veterinarian, to use that vaccine.

My point: Please do not, across the board, advocate vaccination. That is something (what type of vaccine, the timing of the vaccine) that needs to be decided after discussion with your veterinarian, even if you administer your own vaccines. I am opposed to both the "don't vaccinate" and the "stick 'em frequently" camps, personally. Please cite some evidence for this statement. This would seem to go against what we are being taught in immunology class http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

My heart goes out to Kim and pet's mom and all the others involved in this barn's terrible situation.

jilltx
Feb. 7, 2006, 03:17 PM
Pet's Mom...I am so sorry for your loss and the heartache that your barn is enduring. How truly heartbreaking. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif

Evalee Hunter
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:05 PM
Equinetech - here are three links. READ THEM, particularly the *entire* article from The Horse.

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/52060.../658201478#658201478 (http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5206053911/m/526209378/r/658201478#658201478)

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5206053911/m/163209958/p/1

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=6470

fergie
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:11 PM
According to my vet, there is no evidence that supports the idea that vaccinating with the killed virus makes a horse any more susceptible to getting the neuro. form at all. That's incorrect information.

Evalee Hunter
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:32 PM
The article in The Horse (on line) is an interview with Dr. Klaus Osterrieder, DVM, DVM Habilitation (German equivalent to a PhD), associate professor of virology in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y.

One thing he says, which I find most interesting is:

We are working on the generation and refinement of modified live vaccines, which we believe are superior to inactivated preparations for a number of reasons. These include first and foremost their ability to induce a cytotoxic T-cell response and the fact that—again, based on findings from the infamous Findlay (Ohio) outbreak--horses vaccinated frequently with inactivated vaccines (for up to six times per year) were actually more likely to develop the neurological form of the disease. [Emphasis added by Evalee Hunter] In addition, most herpesvirus infections in other animals (bovine, swine), including man (chickenpox), are controlled or have even been eradicated by using modified live virus vaccines.

You STILL need to read the whole interview. I do NOT want you to think I am advocating anything more than *getting yourself as educated as possible* followed by *consulting with your own veterinarian*. I do not know what is right in your situation, but I do know that you shouldn't vaccinate willy-nilly without careful consideration.

There ARE drawbacks to the live virus vaccines. They MAY cause abortions in pregnant mares - which is why our horses have not been vaccinated with modified live. Timing is everything here for us.

All vaccine choices involve gathering information about each horse's situation before choosing a vaccine, which is why you need to give information to your veterinarian (including information about what you have learned) & then plan a vaccination schedule.

The Horse article links to FIFTEEN other articles you can read. If you read all that, you will be well-educated as to the knowledge of rhino/herpes at this point.

I would like to conclude by expressing my sympathy & concern for Kim, Kim's daughter, Pet's mom, & others affected by this horrible outbreak. There but for the grace of God go our horses!!

Nothing I have written is meant as criticism. My hope is that this thread, like so many other threads about tragedies, can be used to educate, which is probably about the only good that can come from a tragedy.

Evalee Hunter
Feb. 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
fergie - Dr. Klaus Osterrieder has FIFTEEN YEARS of research devoted to the EHV-1 virus. Studying that virus has been his life work. He has plenty of information that most of us don't have. And he definitely believes that frequent vaccination is correlated with neurologic herpes. Other veterinarians have noted previously that only a few horses developed neurologic symptoms in the days of modified live virus vaccines - the neurologic form popped up when the killed virus vaccine became popular.

This is not real new info - it has been disseminated in various publications for approximately the past year.

amandasnowy
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:44 PM
Pet's Mom - so incredibly sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure many of us have great friends up there for Pet to run around with. You and Kim are both in our thoughts.

JAGold
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
Pet's Mom, I'm so sorry for your loss. Kim and those connected to her barn have displayed incredible grace and horsemanship throughout, and they deserve so much better.

I have to say that I am profoundly disappointed by this comment, (http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9106053911/m/461206968/r/184201688#184201688) posted on the racing board
For the most part, MD was able to keep racing up *and* control the outbreak fairly well, w/ only a few bloops (lessons learned). Hats off... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif --Jess

Miss Perfect
Feb. 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
Pet's mom, I live in Chestertown also. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out - running errends, shopping, picking up vet supplies, etc. I'm more than glad to help in any way possible. Email me at laurencassady@hotmail.com
I sent you a PT also.

jkbarablover
Feb. 8, 2006, 08:41 AM
I don't know if this is a rumor or not but it does come from my farrier and a vet... Apparently, someone snuck their horse out of Pimlico and was training him at Fair Hill. Has anyone else heard of this? If so what can be done?

dudders
Feb. 8, 2006, 09:48 AM
Hey guys I just got this- don't know if it's new info to you, but it was to me:

"Pfizer Animal Health Introduces Zylexis(TM)

Demonstrated Immunomodulator Offers Aid in Fighting Equine Upper Respiratory Disease Associated with Equine Herpesvirus Types 1 and 4 Infections

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact:
Equine Resources International, LLC
610-444-7554

New York, NY (February 8, 2006) -- Pfizer Animal Health recently introduced its newest product offering for equine veterinarians. Zylexis(TM) is a demonstrated safe and effective immunomodulator backed by contact challenge study data and nearly a decade of patient use by practitioners in Germany.

Zylexis is thought to work by preparing the horse’s immune system, in advance, to function more efficiently against equine herpesvirus (EHV) types 1 and 4 pathogens and is offered specifically as an aid in reducing upper respiratory disease caused by these viruses. Zylexis is created with an inactive (killed) preparation of Parapox Ovis Virus.

While an immunomodulator, like Zylexis, can’t prevent a horse from contracting a disease such as EHV, it can help to reduce the severity of upper respiratory symptoms the horse will suffer after it is exposed. And by keeping symptoms under control, owners may lose much less of their valuable training and competition time.

“Zylexis has been used for eight years in Germany,” said Dr. Robert Holland, Senior Veterinarian at Pfizer Animal Health. “It won’t stop EHV-1 or -4, but our study shows that it can limit the severity and duration of symptoms. This product provides practitioners with a valuable tool to help horses deal with the EHV types 1 and 4 pathogens they may encounter in show and stable environments.”

Equine herpesvirus is a disease of serious concern to horse owners -- particularly those whose horses travel to meet show, race and competition schedules. Outbreaks of the virus have made front-page news in recent years, forcing numerous racetracks and well-known stables -- such as Churchill Downs, Turfway Park, and the University of Findlay in Ohio -- to put animals in quarantine to protect the rest of the equine population.

“Equine herpesvirus is extremely contagious, and a large portion of horses in the U.S. today are already latent carriers of the disease,” said Dr. Holland. “When they are stressed by factors such as performance, travel or competition, these carrier horses may suddenly come down with active disease and show symptoms. EHV can then spread rapidly through a barn, endangering all of the horses in the area.”

For more information on Pfizer Animal Health’s complete line of equine health care products, visit www.pfizer.com/equine (http://www.pfizer.com/equine). Pfizer Inc discovers, develops, manufactures and markets leading prescription medicines, for humans and animals, and many of the world’s best known consumer products."

pet's mom
Feb. 8, 2006, 10:02 AM
I wanted to let folks know that there are still no new temperatures at the farm. This is good news as the last temperature was last Monday (8 days ago). Please keep prayers going, I think it is the only thing at this point that helps.

I have been reading as much as I can about this disease. Lots of opinions, research and conflicting information. I spoke with Dr. George Allen at the Gluck Equine Research Center earlier in the week and asked him if the information that we have been collecting on the horses would be helpful to him, so I am forwarding that information. But, in also trying to think of other ways to make this situation make sense, I have been speaking with a lot of folks about what happened and what (if anything we could do). I would be really interested in any ideas folks have here. I am not a lifetime horse person. I have been riding about 3 years and learning, learning, learning. So I don't really know how we could make a difference, but I would be really interested in figuring out what our lessons are here.

The suggestions here are excellent. Taking temperatures on your horses is exactly the right thing. But what happens when you know the virus is present at the barn (like at Pimlico) should there be a requirement to notify all owners? restrict transportation? should this be something mandated by the state? I would just be really interested to know.

Some of the voluntary actions here in Maryland have been that some of the barns (in Kent County) have self-imposed quarantines, the state of MA. quarantined the barn where we shipped a horse (just prior to our first death) that showed no sypmtoms, just to be careful. A race training facility here also did a self-imposed quarantine.

Given my direct experience with this disease, I am not objective. The State knew about the disease at the track (on january 2nd)and yet did not notify people going into/or out of the track until after it was too late. Kim's first horse was put down on 1/26, the horse that came from Pimlico came 1/10...I believe that owners need to be notified. We are the only ones who can protect our horses. That right, to protect our animals, was taken away from us in this situation.

All that notwithstanding, I am also aware that this disease will just show up...But when we know, don't you think we should be required to do something?

I'd really be interested in your feedback (I think http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif )

Meredith Clark
Feb. 8, 2006, 10:10 AM
I wish the infected barns had told people. At the same time, if you look at a human perspective I don't have to tell my co-workers when i have a cold, I can go into work and infect them all. Same with HIV, privacy laws on dieases in humans are extremly strict, I would be afraid thats what the people against forced notifications would use against you.

This was just a thought that came to my head and obviously not specific examples because there really isn't much precedent when it comes to this situation.

mjedge808
Feb. 8, 2006, 10:52 AM
i think that this situation is completely different of a human privacy issue, such as a disease or cold.

In this situation, i think that we as owners are responsible not only for our own horses, but the entire equine population. these are not only friends, these are for some a business commodity, such as racehorses. i understand that shutting down all transportation in or out of a racetrack with a single case can cause a great deal in revenue loss in many different ways. but how else can we protect our horses? not just for those outside the racing industry, but for those in the racing business as well?

for instance, one case EVH-1 shows at a track, and a trainer wants to bring in his entire string to this track to race and train, but isn't told about the case and is allowed to enter. as a result, he loses his three best racers and the rest of the horses have the neuro symptoms. what good has that done? why not deny entry to the string and save the horses from the potential danger?

i guess i just don't understand how as track officials they could brush this situation off as casually as they did (well, it seems like it was too casual to me, but of course, it's all second hand info to me).

i do have a question about horses carrying the disease but without symptoms: is there a way for a vet to test for the virus in an inactive carried state? is there a way to see which horses could potentially become active cases before they do so we can prevent something like this? i mean we have tests for other diseases, right? Coggins tests for example.

any information on this?

luveventing
Feb. 8, 2006, 11:24 AM
I think from when we dealt with this..a titer test can be done althought from what I remember it does not definitively ID a carrier. their levels will go up and down dependant on stress. carrier horses will not always go around shedding the virus. the generally only shed in times of stress. so a test could be really hit or miss.

the answer to your questions about how the track dealt with this?? money. bottom line. loss of money, bad publicity and I think the biggest reason from what I have read from the "spin doctors" at the track...the Preakness. they dont want to lose revenue by scaring people off to run at their track and to prep for the preakness which is held at pimlico. the longer the shut down the more money they lose and the less publicity and prep time for their biggest race. Just what I have seen. I dont think its NECESSARILY the horse peoples fault as it is the higher ups looking at the bottom line.

Candle
Feb. 8, 2006, 12:33 PM
With the frequency of racehorses shipping in and out of tracks all over the country, I'm surprised this didn't spread more. Imagine a horse stabled at Pimlico on a layover and then shipped to FL. The horse next to him shipped to KY and the horse next to him shipped to WV. Now three more states are exposed. Shame on the track officials for not quarantining sooner http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

suniday
Feb. 8, 2006, 01:00 PM
pet's mom - My heart is breaking for you and all of Seven Hills farm's family friends, etc. I just can't imagine (and don't want to) what you are all going through.

I think that there are some lessons to be learned here. I am going to use some of the facts from Seven Hills farms' experience to help with my examples.

Kim did the right thing when she asked the person who brought in the horse from Pimlico if she was healthy. We all do that. If she had turned the horse out by itself and kept it in a stall (assuming it was stalled) somewhat apart from the other horses, would this has spread as quickly to the other horses? In her example, it took 16 days to SEE the first symptoms. I do wonder if the original horse ever showed any symptoms or became ill?

I still agree that the track officials at Pimlico WERE lax by not placing quarantines immediately on the barns in question. Yes, they may have had some loss of income, but a lot of other horses, people and businesses have been affected by this.

We can't wrap our horses in bubble wrap (wishful thinking), but we can and have a responsibility to insure their and those they come in contact with's safety and health.

There is too much that we (and the vets) don't know about EHV-1 and many other equine diseases. Being a little cautious NOW can help a lot later.

Let's hope that life can resume some sort of normalcy in the not too distant future.

greygirls
Feb. 8, 2006, 02:06 PM
jkblarabrover--that probably is not a rumor because there is now an off-duty cop posted at the training center to prevent horses from being shipped in...

Candle
Feb. 8, 2006, 03:28 PM
I read an article that there was also an outbreak at Turfway and also at the Western Kentucky Training Center. Is this true?

retreadeventer
Feb. 8, 2006, 05:28 PM
Important Update ****
Area II Adult Riders has set up a fund for Kim Morani to help her with this disaster. All contributions can be made to the USEA Area II Adult Riders Fund, earmarked for Kim, there is soon to be a name for the fund (or may already be a name, someone know?) This is 501.c.3. so charitable educational etc. Checks can be sent to:
USEA Area II Treasurer
Linda Reynolds
16409 Trenton Church Rd., Upperco, MD. 21155

Meredith Clark
Feb. 8, 2006, 05:31 PM
Mjedge808- The points you made only supported my theory. Not all people think of horses as their "friends" that is their choice. Horses to some are a business commodity so how many business persons will WILLINGLY admit they have a problem, risk loosing their current clients and potentially their entire business? I'm not saying morally they shouldn't, it would be very helpful if they would...but to get people to help make a LAW forcing them to will be difficult because of privacy issues whether you agree with it or not.

This is an emotionally charged topic, but you shouldn't brush off my, or other peoples opinions so quickly.

eventing101
Feb. 8, 2006, 06:25 PM
Man that sucks! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif I will definitley keep Kim, her farm and her horse in my prayers...

specialK
Feb. 8, 2006, 07:13 PM
I was a working student of Kim's in her Andover horse center days and have lost contact with her. About 5 years ago I came back to eventing with my children (one of whom I named Kimberly and who is competing training level at 12). I wondered if anyone who has her email would be willing to share it with me so that I can lend her support. I've googles her name and Seven Hills Farm in an attempt to get her email but to no avail. My email is t.achorn@comcast.net if someone would prefer to give me thatinfo confidentially. Thanks so much!

ne900
Feb. 9, 2006, 01:35 AM
pet's mom - First, I am so sorry for your loss. I wanted to pass on another thought regarding who you might share the data that you and Kim have gathered. As I was reading through articles on EHV-1, I saw that Klaus Osterrieder, who is an associate professor of virology in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., is another key researcher of this disease. It may be worth contacting him to see if your data would be helpful.

CoolMeadows
Feb. 9, 2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Candle:
I read an article that there was also an outbreak at Turfway and also at the Western Kentucky Training Center. Is this true?
I heard that too. So basically this thing has been at two tracks in MD, a private farm in MD, a track in PA, two tracks in Kentucky and now in Michigan as well (although it appears the MI case was mid Jan, yet we're only hearing about it now??). I don't think it's been handled well, particularly in MD. I know I won't be buying any off the track for a while. What if I buy one at a track that has an outbreak and is keeping things quiet for as long as they can like has already happened? I just can't risk it and hate feeling like the tracks can't be trusted to think beyond and consider the whole equine population's safety. I'm so sorry for Kim and Pet's mom.

bornfreenowexpensive
Feb. 9, 2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by retreadeventer:
Important Update ****
Area II Adult Riders has set up a fund for Kim Morani to help her with this disaster. All contributions can be made to the USEA Area II Adult Riders Fund, earmarked for Kim, there is soon to be a name for the fund (or may already be a name, someone know?) This is 501.c.3. so charitable educational etc. Checks can be sent to:
USEA Area II Treasurer
Linda Reynolds
16409 Trenton Church Rd., Upperco, MD. 21155

Make the checks out to the "Area II Adult Rider Program"

Name of the fund (which should be put on the memo line of your check is "The Test Run Fund"

Any help would be appreciated for Kim--the economic impact of losing horses, losing lessons and training fees is significant for a small operation.

I believe another thread has been started about the fund.

pet's mom
Feb. 12, 2006, 05:39 AM
giving a bump, but also wanted to bring some attention to some of the steps being taken by the racing folks. a number of the training centers have closed in md. to protect against the further spread of this disease. some have projected that there have been some positives at some of these facilities, although not the neuro form/i don't know if this is true...but there have been no additional deaths. state of md continues to pursue kim about details at her farm, which we have submitted. it is frustrating that the state is focusing so much here...when literally hundreds of horses (probably not traceable at this point) moved through pimlico while the disease was active there.

i have been contacted by several race folk letting me know that a steering committee is being formed that supposedly is to address what went wrong there...lots of worried folks about their horses.

what is it that we can do here to help get this message out (the severity of this disease, how to recognize, bio-security measures,...)any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TopTbred
Feb. 12, 2006, 12:58 PM
Pets Mom, Columbia Horse Center went thru this last year and posted extensively on their website all about what they were doing every day. They were incredible about reporting details and I remember reading about it at their website. You might want to call their GM and talk to her or check what is left of the info they posted on their website. www.columbiahorsecenter.com (http://www.columbiahorsecenter.com).
Also www.thehorse.com (http://www.thehorse.com) has a good article on Findley's outbreak, I am sure you've been there.

mjedge808
Feb. 13, 2006, 10:11 AM
Meredith Clark,
i didn't mean to sound that way at all. i am just worried about this disease. i listened to a friend of mine who was at Findlay during their outbreak as she cried about her mom's horse being put down. i felt guilty because my friends were having to watch their horses die and i wasn't there, i had graduated the summer before. so i guess i just have an emotional interest in preventing this! Findlay lost some great horses, and i knew almost all of them, including my friend's gorgeous horse.

so if i came off as a cad, i apologize.

mjedge808
Feb. 13, 2006, 10:16 AM
by the way, TopTbred, thanks for the links. www.thehorse.com (http://www.thehorse.com) reports KY closed its borders to any horses recently at Pimilco or Laurel tracks.

M.K.Smith
Feb. 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
pet's mom-- <<hugs>> I'm so sorry for your loss. Please also extend my condolences to Kim.

La Gringa
Feb. 15, 2006, 05:29 PM
My condolences to Pets mom and Kim.

charlieo
Feb. 22, 2006, 10:03 AM
Words cannot express my sympathy for Both Kim and Pet's Mom. What I do not understand is why the state allowed horses to move into and out of Pimlico when they knew there was a problem there. Why is it that the racing industry is treated that way (ignored), while the state had no difficulty stutting Kim down immediately. This conduct rises to the level of Napoleon the pig in "animal farm" -- some horsefolk are more equal than others.

Cashela
Feb. 22, 2006, 06:47 PM
Pet's Mom, my heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry that you lost your beloved Pet. *HUGS* to you and Kim.

pet's mom
Mar. 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
for those interested...here is the update from MDA

Mar 03, 2006
All 17 Horses on Kent County Farm Test Negative for Equine Herpesvirus
Hold Order to Be Lifted Saturday

ANNAPOLIS, MD (March 3, 2006) B Test results on all 17 horses at a Kent County farm affected by the neurologic form of equine herpesvirus are negative for the virus. Maryland Department of Agriculture expects to lift the "Hold Order" on the farm on Saturday, March 4 after a final veterinary inspection is conducted. When the Hold Order is lifted, the farm and the horses can resume normal activities. The Hold Order has been in place since Jan. 26 when the first of two horses were euthanized on the farm due to the virus. The last clinical signs of EHV-1 on the farm were on Feb. 4.

This morning, MDA lifted the Hold Order on Laurel Barn 9 allowing the 34 horses that tested negative for EHV-1 to resume normal activities. Two additional horses in the barn are not showing any signs of the virus but did not clear the testing process and have been relocated to an isolated barn on the grandstand side of the Bowie Training Center until they test negative. The two were re-tested at Laurel Park this morning before being shipped to Bowie. The remaining horses in Barn 9 will resume normal activities and are eligible to race Wednesday, March 8. A filly stabled in the barn was euthanized January 26, with test results confirming neurologic EHV-1.

At Pimlico Race Course, four of the six horses in the Detention Barn tested negative for the virus in both blood samples and nasal swab tests and have been moved back to their original barns to resume normal activities. The two which did not clear are not showing symptoms of EHV-1 but remain under a Hold Order and are prohibited from mixing with the general horse population until they test negative.

Last month, the MDA lifted the Hold Orders on Barns 5, 6 and A at Pimlico while the Maryland Jockey Club lifted its self-imposed quarantine. Three horses from three different Pimlico barns were euthanized in January. The last clinical case of the virus at Pimlico happened January 19. There have been no outbreaks at the Bowie Training Center where approximately 600 horses are stabled.

Equine herpesvirus causes upper respiratory infection and can also cause neurological disease. There is currently no known method to reliably prevent the neurologic form of EHV-1 infection. More information about the virus and preventive bio-security measure is available at www.mda.state.md.us (http://www.mda.state.md.us).

Meredith Clark
Mar. 3, 2006, 07:24 PM
mjedge808-I had a friend who was there during the Findlay outbreak as well! She was there for college and had just recently gotten the money to bring her horse from MD.I had never even heard of the diease before (and at that point i'm not sure if they even knew excataly what was going on). Her horse luckily did not have to be put down, but he's never been the same http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif

while at the same time some of the horses were never effected...so strange.

mjedge808
Mar. 6, 2006, 10:31 AM
meredith, who did you know? just curious.