PDA

View Full Version : Enable me, Please ; D

2DogsFarm
Apr. 27, 2011, 12:09 PM
OK - so I got my handyman to quote me on putting up picket fencing around my veggie garden to chickenproof it this year.
Estimate: ~$500 :eek:

Not gonna happen :no:
Materials would run around $200+ or -, I priced them at Menard's.
But I am all thumbs & any fencing I put up will not look good or work well.

Sooooo.......
Here's my brainstorm:
I will fill feedsacks with compost and plant in them. I have plenty of both: empty feedbags & compost.
That will give me raised planters about 3' off the ground - too high for my fattyfatty2X4 hens to fly up onto.
I will plant something trailing (vinca vine or?) & something flowering around the edges of the bags so they won't look quite so Redneck.

I'll be planting tomatoes, cucumbers, beets, peppers & green onions in the bags and can add support for the toms & cukes.

Good idea?
Bad Plan?

foggybok
Apr. 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
OK, this is really ugly, but CHEAP! Last year I used a few of the step in plastic electric fence poles 2.50 each and hung some 4 ft wide bird netting (12.00 for the package) on it...makes an ugly green, but effective fence...

ladybugred
Apr. 27, 2011, 12:21 PM
How about using the feed bag/compost idea to surround/creata a raised bed? Kind of like using the straw bales. Cut little holes in the bags and plant vinca, dusty miller etc. To hide the bags.

I don't think it sounds like a bad idea, your using/recycling your resources:D

LBR

2DogsFarm
Apr. 27, 2011, 12:33 PM
foggybok:
I have used the step-in posts & netting for the last 5 years.
I am tired of the look and wanted something a bit more "decorative"

ladybugred:
I was thinking of completely filling the garden - it's small around 20X20 - with the bags.
There's a dwarf peach tree in the middle & a rhubarb at one corner that will need to have some clear ground around them, but then I would fill the rest with shoulder-to-shoulder bags.

I just wanted to avoid it looking like a trash heap - at least until the plants get some growth on them so it's obvious it's a garden ;)

Monica67
Apr. 27, 2011, 12:44 PM
I wonder if the inexpensive wire flower garden fencing would work?

You may be able to find one with the spacing close enough together so they can't squeeze through.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Fencing-Landscape-Garden-Fencing/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbupz/R-100564216/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Home Depot has 32" garden fence.

foggybok
May. 3, 2011, 05:26 PM
foggybok:
I have used the step-in posts & netting for the last 5 years.
I am tired of the look and wanted something a bit more "decorative"

ladybugred:
I was thinking of completely filling the garden - it's small around 20X20 - with the bags.
There's a dwarf peach tree in the middle & a rhubarb at one corner that will need to have some clear ground around them, but then I would fill the rest with shoulder-to-shoulder bags.

I just wanted to avoid it looking like a trash heap - at least until the plants get some growth on them so it's obvious it's a garden ;)

ah yes, I know what you mean...I'm wanting to do something prettier too!

JohnDeere
May. 3, 2011, 05:55 PM
How about using the feed bag/compost idea to surround/creata a raised bed? Kind of like using the straw bales. Cut little holes in the bags and plant vinca, dusty miller etc. To hide the bags.

I don't think it sounds like a bad idea, your using/recycling your resources:D

LBR

Do this and your baggy plants. It will take lots of compost but if you have lots...:yes:

subk
May. 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
A different idea if all your trying to do is keep chickens out could you take some bamboo fencing (like this from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100631150&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-100631152-_-100631150-_-N&locStoreNum=732 )

Cut it apart (and maybe in half so you have 3 foot pieces) and put those in the ground a few inches apart. If you cross hatched them it could be really attractive. Sometimes you can find bamboo rolled window shades pretty cheap and use those too--although it might not be as sturdy.

MunchkinsMom
May. 4, 2011, 02:19 PM
How about a Lattice style fence instead of picket? Might be less expensive, you could attach the lattice panels to the step in posts with zip ties.

http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/lattice.aspx

Can be purchased in either wood or vinyl, various sizes and colors.

Might be more attractive than orange snow fence, not sure cost wise what the difference would be from your other options.

2DogsFarm
May. 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
Do this and your baggy plants. It will take lots of compost but if you have lots...:yes:

:lol: 1 horse, 1 pony = limitless composted manure, more than enough for my little 20x20 garden

subk:
I've seen the bamboo fencing but never thought of cutting it in half.
I'd need 8 rolls, so about $240 in material for that.
That might make it affordable. I'll have to revisit that idea.

Oooh! MunchkinsMom - that's a great idea!
I have the stepin posts already & the lattice panels will be cheap enough. IIRC they come in 8' lengths - perfect for my use.
I believe even I can even assemble that myself w/o it looking too Redneck :D

I brought a bag up from the barn today & will fill it with what's already in the garden to see how it stands up when full.

My Wintersown seedlings are crowding their containers and need to get into their permanaent home ASAP!