View Full Version : How soon after nitrogen is applied to hay field until it can be cut?

Apr. 27, 2011, 09:58 AM
So I am kicking myself right about now. I called to have nitrogen put down on our 15 acres about 2 weeks ago. Man said he was busy prepping corn fields for other farmers but he would get out as soon as possible. Hay is ready to be cut now. I spoke to my baling man and he agreed. I meant to call the nitrogen man to tell him to wait until after hay was cut and baled. Oops. Sigh. Shit. So how long is it going to have to sit and get overgrown while the nitrogen gets where it needs to go? Feel like a huge moron now. Doh!

Apr. 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
Your hay may appear to be ready to cut, but if you bale it before the nitrogen has processed through the plant system you can have nitrogen poisoning. Or not utilized the nitrogen to its best use for your hay crop.

This is what I do. Fertilize hayfield, call my hayman and schedule hay cutting for 21-28 days after fertilizing. Assuming that it rained during that time of growth and then it is dry enough to get the equipment in to cut, cure and rake & bale and get hay picked & put in barn.

Apr. 27, 2011, 01:03 PM
Ya, I know it has to sit for a few weeks, to get into the ground and not just sitting on the plant. Well I suppose what's done is done now, and if it has to sit it has to sit. It will have gone to seed by then but I can sell it as round baled cow hay and just called it a learned lesson. Although it may not be a total loss because one field was looking pretty puny so that 8 acres will still be ok I bet. Thanks for the response.

Apr. 27, 2011, 01:54 PM
Put it on after you get the hay off.
It won't do much good right now anyhow.