PDA

View Full Version : STORMS on the way-how to protect my trailer?

LMH
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:08 AM
Criminy I am building a cover for my trailer after all these storms...but can't do that TODAY.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to protect it from hail?

I have no building with an opening big enough for it.

I thought of find an old mattress and tying it on top :lol:

Seriously is there anything I can do, like now, to get ready for storms tonight?

BaroquePony
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
Can you use some trees (acting as corner posts) to tie a tarp over it? Like a tent awning for your trailer?

msj
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:34 AM
1. How about putting it in a storage building if you can find one high enough?

2. Can you call a garage where you get it serviced to see if they'd put it inside for you?

3. Depending on the direction of the wind, can you park it on the opposite side of a barn or building? If wind coming from west, park on east side of building.

4. Get several old mattress's if you can.

5. If none of the above, someone else posted that your homeowner's insurance would probably cover the damage less your deductible.

6. Pray a lot.

tasia
Apr. 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
Insurance and hope you don't need it. I have mine on my auto policy for $60.00 a year. Good luck.

relocatedTXjumpr
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:32 PM
I dont think the tree route is a good idea...with the kind of storms they are calling for here, the trees might very well be sitting on top of the trailer.

Ive parked mine as close to the barn as I can get it, on the opposite side the storms are blowing in. Thats the best I can do right now...but I agree...I will be putting up a trailer barn before next spring!!!

msj
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
Insurance and hope you don't need it. I have mine on my auto policy for $60.00 a year. Good luck.

If you don't have separate trailer insurance like tasia, just hook your truck to the trailer then your auto insurance will cover it. At least my auto policy covers any damage to the trailer as long as it's hooked up.

Good luck - we've got a tornado watch till 10 PM tonight and I sure hope NOT to see one.

tasia
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:43 PM
If you don't have separate trailer insurance like tasia, just hook your truck to the trailer then your auto insurance will cover it. At least my auto policy covers any damage to the trailer as long as it's hooked up.

Good luck - we've got a tornado watch till 10 PM tonight and I sure hope NOT to see one.

Really? I know liability insurance follows the truck. I'm not being snarky, will have to check my insurance policy.

mestle
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:44 PM
This is REALLY short term but if you have some cardboard boxes you could flatten them out and spread a couple or 3 layers on top and down sides a little and fasten with ropes and bungees to keep them tight. Try to park out of wind as much as possible as well. Cardboard should absorb the brunt of even pretty large hail if it is fastened down good enough to stay.
Good Luck!!
Mary

katarine
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:52 PM
This is what insurance is for, folks ;) Mine is parked here in the land of trees. What will happen will happen.

msj
Apr. 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
Really? I know liability insurance follows the truck. I'm not being snarky, will have to check my insurance policy.

I don't have my trailer anymore but that's what my policy used to say - any damage to the trailer was covered if attached. Not those exact words but you get the idea. Also, it's possible FL and NY coverage could be different just like different companies might or might not cover it.

PS. If you are covered you might want to keep your trailer attached to your truck. :) Actually, my neighbor always has her trailer attached to truck and she doesn't really do much hauling. Course she has 3 vehicles so she can leave the truck and trailer attached.

tobruk
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
Comp & Collision covers your trailer when it's not hooked up. Otherwise, if a tree falls on the trailer go out and hook it up somehow
Seriously, we've just completed 2 hail damage roof repairs. What we did was to line and insulate the ceiling of the trailers. Customer gets an insulated ceiling and nobody sees the hail damage. It's a lot more appealing to the insurance company than fixing the entire 1 piece aluminum roof. Fixing, replacing, the aluminum roof is a job for the factory, not us. This is some serious labor not to mention freight back to the factory-times 2. And all you get is a new roof, no insulation.

tasia
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
Bubble wrap;) I've considered bubble wrapping the horses:yes: But seriously, I hope you don't get any damage. Good luck.

alabama
Apr. 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
My separate trailer insurance is about $7/month. It covers stuff like this. My trailer isn't all that special but I do find it worth the price.

Good luck. These storms are bad.

philosoraptor
Apr. 27, 2011, 10:43 PM
I go with the people who say hitch it to your truck and hope for your best. With my coverage, it would also be covered when hitched to my truck which has comprehensive coverage. If the hail is severe enough to do major damage to a trailer roof, a tarp isn't going to do anything.

shakeytails
Apr. 27, 2011, 11:01 PM
That's what insurance is for. The front of mine got moved several feet by a tornado passing through last night, but no damage. A year or two ago when we had wicked winds from some hurricane and saw the trailer start to tip in wind gusts, we hooked the trailer to the truck and moved them both so the wind wasn't hitting them broadside.