PDA

View Full Version : I said I'd never complain about rain again...

shakeytails
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:07 AM
After a couple of drought years, I said I'd never complain about rain ever. But this is getting ridiculous! We've had about 10 inches just since friday, and that's on top of massive amounts of rain we've already had this spring.

At least I don't have to fill outside water tanks! :lol:

Belg
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
"Those who pray for dew at the desert's edge will bring forth the deluge..." I love Dune.

carolprudm
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Send it our way, please

coloredcowhorse
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
"Those who pray for dew at the desert's edge will bring forth the deluge..." I love Dune.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Me too.

We'd be happy with some of that....our annual average is about 5 inches a year. Would cost a LOT less if there was enough rain to grow grass in the fields.

SGray
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:51 AM
we are at the edge of exceptional (highest) - in extreme - the remainder of the state is severe or moderate with a teeny portion that's only abnormally dry

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-texas-drought-monitor-map.php

and would really appreciate any precipation you could send our way

shakeytails
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
We'd be happy with some of that....our annual average is about 5 inches a year. Would cost a LOT less if there was enough rain to grow grass in the fields.

DH and I were talking about that last night- how we've gotten more rain in a weekend than some places average in a year! Since we've always lived east of the Mississippi, neither of us can imagine such low rainfall amounts.

SmartAlex
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:39 PM
Up here we are on the verge of the rainiest April on record. Now I'm a gardener, so I think about the plants, and not necessarily the pastures and crops when I say "I can buy water, I can't buy sunshine" but still, it applies. I'd take a drought over a flood any day of the week. Oddly enough, even with the massive amounts of rain we've had I have yet to walk out the door and smell that unmistakable "frog belly" smell that you get when you've had weeks of mud and floating earth worms.

Happily, today has cleared up and it is 73* and sunny. It's a miracle!!!

LauraKY
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:52 PM
Forecast is 5 more inches between today and Friday. Guess I'll be out re-digging the trench around the barn to divert the water.

My trainer says she has to sell a kidney to pay for all the shavings she's going through. Friend's horse was struck by lightning Friday night and killed...I thought I was being overprotective about keeping them in...no I no longer feel that way.

I have them out right now, but they're coming in shortly.

equusvilla
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
We have 1 inch cracks in the ground.. everything is starting to turn brown and I am having to buy hay - which I usually only do in the Winter. Sprinklers going constantly trying to keep the young trees happy - alson with the gardens.. uggghhh - not enough hours in the day to keep this up - at least not in my life!

According to that chart - it will take 8" of rain for us to come out of the drought conditions we are in.