PDA

View Full Version : Abetta Serenity Vs. Regular Endurance

dreamswept
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:55 AM
Well, my foray into western saddles was incredibly brief. I bought a nice looking Tex Tan Albany for my Morgan/QH mare (sadly neither of my treeless saddles fit her, and I then had to sell my Sensation dressage G3 to get the western.)

Unfortunately, it didn't fit her well as the gullet is a bit too wide, she's got no topline at the moment and she has a sloping shoulder and needs a saddle that stays off her shoulder. She kept pinning her ears and bucking and kicking out at the trot. So the Tex Tan isn't for her. I did try a Billy Cook Roper that belonged to a friend of mine, it had a Wade tree and gave her lots of shoulder movement, but it was also too wide and the gullet was right on her withers. Alas! I picked up a Wintec 2000 at the thrift store yesterday. It was so cheap *cough*$50*cough* that even if it doesn't fit the mare, I scored.

Anyway, looking at conformation pictures of her the other night, I stumbled across old photos from when I first started leasing her 3 years ago. I had an Abetta endurance saddle at the time. I remember how comfortable she was in it, so I guess we're going back to the old faithful tried and true. It's too bad that I had sold that saddle, but then I never expected to see her again. So I'll be purchasing another one soon.

That said, anyone have the Serenity? How's the memory foam seat?

PRS
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:59 AM
Wow! Leiana, what a deal! You should be able to resell the $50 saddle for a profit at least. I don't have an opinion on any of the Abettas but good luck in your search.

dreamswept
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks Dori. I was pretty shocked. I normally don't frequent the thrift store and it usually doesn't get saddles, and it was total luck that I happened to walk in there yesterday.

I thought it would be easy to find a saddle for this mare. I always figured because she had a decent back, some wither (slightly high, but not out of the ordinary) she'd be easier to fit than Mitch with his mutton withers and flat back. Guess not, huh?

Well, at the very least, if this Wintec 2000 fits her, it'll do temporarily.

PRS
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:46 PM
The mare sounds like one of those "princess and the pea" types. Poor thing...hope you get her comfortable soon so you can enjoy her.

Huntertwo
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:39 PM
I have used many saddles, but always go back to my Abetta Endurance...:) I just find it fits her well, and is comfy.

I was tempted by the newer foam memory seat, but someone on here mentioned that it tends to get hot in the warmer weather.

Leather
Apr. 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
I've got one (bought it back when they were called the Trinity). I haven't noticed the seat being any hotter in the summer. It can be a bit stiff in the winter though until it warms up. It is more comfortable than the regular version.

One thing to note--IME the tree on the Trinity isn't the same as the regular endurance saddle.

When I got my Paso the breeder recommended the Abettas with regular QH bars since she'd had good luck with them. I decided to upgrade to the Trinity. I got the regular QH bars and it was too wide for her.

I wound up getting a Black Forest treeless and love it.

dreamswept
Apr. 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've got one (bought it back when they were called the Trinity). I haven't noticed the seat being any hotter in the summer. It can be a bit stiff in the winter though until it warms up. It is more comfortable than the regular version.

One thing to note--IME the tree on the Trinity isn't the same as the regular endurance saddle.

When I got my Paso the breeder recommended the Abettas with regular QH bars since she'd had good luck with them. I decided to upgrade to the Trinity. I got the regular QH bars and it was too wide for her.

I wound up getting a Black Forest treeless and love it.

Thanks Leather.

I guess I'll just get the regular Abetta again. I have a great lil sheepskin seatsaver to put on it, and I know I've gone for long rides in it and been very comfortable.

thathorse
Apr. 28, 2011, 11:26 AM
Dreamswept, depending on the size, etc, I might be interested in your Wintec if you want to sell it.

CHeers--Kirsten

dreamswept
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
Dreamswept, depending on the size, etc, I might be interested in your Wintec if you want to sell it.

CHeers--Kirsten

Thanks Kirsten, but I think I'll be keeping it. I rode her yesterday and she did great in it. No pinning ears, no bucking or kicking the way she was in her western saddle. I suspect she's got a shoulder, and needs a saddle that clears her shoulder. The Abetta does pretty good with the shape of the skirt and gullet, but until I get one, I'm just going to go with the Wintec.