PDA

View Full Version : Need a decent pair of muck boots...

Belg
Apr. 26, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hey all, looking for a recommendation on a pair of muck boots that are both rideable and more importantly, won't fall apart after 6 months.

I walk close to 2 miles every day in them feeding horses and whatever else needs to be done, and 6 months of snow & mud and almost daily wear seem to annihilate every pair I've had in less than a season. This includes tractor use as I dismount into... you guess it... mud... to flip round bale rings around.

They've got to be comfortable. Loose, slippy boots destroy socks immediately and follow shortly thereafter with blisters. And they've got to STAY waterproof. The "Brit Rider" seams have busted open, the tradition Muck boots fall apart inside, and I'm just tired of throwing money at boots that fail.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Tornado Run Farm
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:20 AM
This is what I have - and they've lasted for 5 years now! http://www.amazon.com/Bogs-Womens-Classic-Boot-Black/dp/B000THAPJ0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1303823293&sr=8-13 The outer shell is now somewhat split and cracked in places, but the neoprene lining STILL keeps my feet dry. Love 'em.:yes: They have them in Men's.

msj
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
I think you need several pr of boots, depending on the weather and ground conditions to be honest.

For late spring, summer and early fall I generally use either Blundstones or Red Pack. You can ride in them also but I preferred Ariat for riding.

If I need to go where the footing is wet or really bad mud, I'll use Muck Boots but I hate them, or if water is going to be above my ankles, I'll use Wellies or another type of rubber boot.

For winter, I have 2 pr, one from LL. Bean that are pull ons or zip up like shown below and a pr for really cold weather from Land's End that I can wear 2 pr of socks and not have my circulation cut off.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33160?feat=506763-GN2

There are times in my mudroom I'd have maybe 5 pr of boots sitting there.

Also, a Peet Boot dryer is a good thing to have around. :)

JB
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:51 AM
No boot is going to hold up to that sort of abuse for long without some regular TLC, such as cleaning, allowing to dry, conditioning (if leather), re-waterproofing, etc.

For all those muddy conditions, you really want the sole and shoe parts to be rubber, or synthetic rubber, something. Leather down at the level of the sole is just not going to handle it for long unless you're diligent about the cleaning and care of it. The style that msj posted is what I mean.

NoDQhere
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:05 AM
We have Bogs boots and they are holding up well. Very comfortable as well.

skip916
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:10 AM
these! http://www.lechameauusa.com/countryalltrackslady.html

all of the above things that posters have said boots cant/wont do- these do it and comfortably! i swear i will never buy another brand of boot!

i have owned:
bogs
hunters
dublins
target wellies
joules
there is a literal boot graveyard inside my tack room!

i can tear up boots faster than anyone i know- its a curse. but not the le chameau!!! i included the link to the pair i have- but they make them in mens!

Dalemma
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have been on a quest trying to find the ultimate paddock boot.....I have tried leather and rubber........leather only lasts me a year......too wet where I live.......I bought a pair of Bogs last winter and I have to say.....I really like them and they are holding up really well.....I would definitely by another pair.

Dalemma

Belg
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it's really the Deep Mud & Snow level I'm ripping them up in... I've got solid boots for less unpleasant conditions (Ankle-high waterproof ariats) but been anihilating the deep ones....

Equibrit
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
These are the best and they fit men; http://www.lechameauusa.com/vierzonairconfort.html
You'll pay more but they last longer. (avoid the ones with zips)

Belg
Apr. 26, 2011, 01:38 PM
Excellent suggestions, thank you :)

Fred
Apr. 27, 2011, 04:44 PM
skip, I laughed at your 'boot graveyard' description. That sounds like my mudroom too.

I love Blundstones, but don't take good care of them, and ruin them. The leather just can't take that kind of abuse. I go through about one pair a year.

I have Muck boots, and they have lasted me well, without any maintenance whatsoever.
I don't love the looks of them (and fashion is my life ;) ) - but they have stood up, they have had enough traction for the ice, and they were warm enough in -30 weather. And they keep my feet totally dry in all the rain and mud you can find to walk through.