PDA

View Full Version : BO/BM Rant

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 08:55 AM
When you run a boarding barn is it your job. When I interview for you to care for my horses it is like interviewing someone to take care of my kids. I tell you up front what I am looking for, clean stalls, WATER for my horses, good hay and grain. I want my horses fed at the same time every day or close to it. I explain the turnout I am looking for, how my horses are cared for, the supplements that I feed them. I pay what you are asking in return I expect you to do the job we agreed upon. It is a job, just like every other job. When you go to work there are set hours for lunch, when you need to come in etc. You have duties you have to do. You can't just pick and choose when to do things, it doesn't work that way. This is no different. You can't just decide to leave for the weekend and let some yahoo that doesn't know how to feed my horses or clean stalls in charge of my horses care. You can't just waltz into the barn at 7 on a sunday night to feed my horses because you were at Easter with your family. WTF. I pay you to care for my horses. Simple as that. I water the arena, drag the arena, clean my own stalls when they aren't done when I get to the barn. I have to come to the barn and look after the people you put in charge when you are out of town, because they are STUPID!!!! I buy my one horse his own grain and get no discount.....is it to much to ask you to do your job????? I was a BM for 2 years, I missed family get togethers because they decided on a time that didnt work for me because of the job at the barn. I didn't get to leave on the weekends here and there, because I had a job. All horses were cared for the way the owners wanted them to be, all 20 of them.....all stall horses. You have 6 stall horses, 3 of your own, and 10 rough board horses, 2 of those your own. What is up with that? I don't think it is to much to ask you to do your JOB and take care of my boys the way we agreed before I moved into your barn.

Kate66
Apr. 25, 2011, 09:17 AM
Perhaps you need to move to a barn that is more willing to meet your demands.

I can understand some of your concerns but I have to say the one about getting there at 7pm because they were at a family gathering, to me, is just a non-event. Yes, horses are creatures of habit but are they going to fret and die because once the BM fed a bit later - most likely not.

And, she can "just waltz into the barn" whenever she likes, because it's her barn. Unfortunately like any business, if you don't like her product, then you buy someone else's.

casper324
Apr. 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
I was with you until you complained about your horse getting fed later on a Holiday. Sorry but even though you are paying for a service your barn owner has a life and Family and often Easter is a HUGE Family holiday. How many holidays has this BO missed so that she could care for the horses? Do you get any time off from your job? Do you get OT on Holidays or weekends?

The reality is that most barn owners make less then what people will pay for an hour massage on their horse per month and work 7 days a week 365 days a year. In my case my "pay" is less then 6.00 per hour. If you can be so selfish as to begrudge this person a few hours away from work, you need to look at buying your own place or self care.

drewsbadboy
Apr. 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
I can agree with some of your points, but the reality is that people need breaks too. As a barn owner/manager myself I stick to a schedule all the time and I do my best to care for everyone's horses the way they want them to be. I have no issues letting horses out individually or in small groups- whatever their owner's preference is. And I don't charge extra to put in supplements, change the blankets, do medications, etc. I make certain all stalls are cleaned daily (holidays too), horses have fresh water and high quality hay and grain. However, if I am an hour or two late to clean the stalls (trust me they will definitely be cleaned that day) because I have something to take care of (example- an injured horse, running my dog to the vet clinic, putting a newly delivered load of sawdust away before it rains- things like that) it's not the end of the world. Your horse (and I mean this in general, not you specifically) is not being neglected at all. I don't make much money if you break down what I earn vs how many hours I work. I don't mind that at all as I knew the reality going into this business. However, I do expect my boarders to understand that I need breaks too and I have other things going on that have to be taken care of as well (it's called Life!). ;)

And yes- I am entitled to go for a movie on a Sunday afternoon if I choose to do so and I can take my lunch breaks whenever I choose.

subk
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
If you truly did discuss everything you expected before you signed the contract including your unwillingness to be a little flexible about the small stuff I'm really surprised they took your horse in the first place.

I take care of my own horses and quiet frankly they do much better when off the farm competing and have less stress because they are NOT tied to a strict schedule at home.

Yes, hay, grain and water are a must. But there is a big difference in standing in filth all day and the temporary help not doing a great job cleaning a stall.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
Oh she has breaks - M-F from 8:30a.m. until 5 pm and then from 6 pm - until the next morning. She doesn't work off the farm. Her farm is also paid in full, her father bought it for her, she pays taxes with the money she gets from leasing all her other acres out to the other farmers in the area. We know what she makes per horse. I know she doesn't always grain the outside horses, or if she is short on hay that she brings over from her house in her truck then they just get what she has, she isn't going back to get more - however that isn;t of my concern, I only care about my boys. If the roughboard horse's owners don't check up on their horses then thats their deal.

She could have cleaned the stalls in the morning easter morning, hers were cleaned, I asked her what happened, she said she was tired driving back from her boyfriends the night before so she left mine until that night. I was there the night before, took time away from my step sons wedding in high heels and black dress checking on my horses, cleaning up their stalls, making sure they had water, etc. Why do I have to do that??? Because there are times when they have been without water, the autowaters have been plugged up and not working, or the people she has running the barn didn't fill up the buckets. Sorry but my horses will not go without water not at all.
She goes to her boyfriends in another state a couple weekends a month - great so tell me, I will do my horses myself, I don't have a problem with that. But don't have some dimwhit take care of my horses.
Yes she has a life, and she has plenty of time to enjoy it.

No my horses won't die if there stalls aren't cleaned, but will they get cleaned if she is running late? I have seen her run in and not have time to do her horses stalls, put the horses in there, feed them and go....why won't she do that to mine??? So I do it myself.

The only thing that makes me mad is most boarding places say yep I do that, yep thats not a problem, yep that is how it is done around here, and then the first couple months great, then it goes down hill from there.
If you run a boarding barn and you don't like the hours or pay then get out of the boarding business, don't complain about it and do thing half a$$.
I could go somewhere else, but there isn't anything decent until you go about 1 hour away, and that doesn't work for me. I have 3 horses that are worked 6 days a week, I don't have an extra 2 hours for travel.

I just wish people would do there job, that isn't much to ask.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
SUBK - I am flexible if you are 1/2 hour to an hour late feeding fine, but 2 1/2 hours is a little much. I am not flexible about no water, never will be. I am flexible about when stalls are cleaned, morning or afternoon, whatever, but they need to be cleaned daily.
My horses complete at many shows, they are fed on the same schedule as they would be at home, only difference is they have hay in front of them at all times at the shows so graining them is around the say time as they would get it if they were at home.

subk
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
She doesn't work off the farm. Her farm is also paid in full, her father bought it for her, she pays taxes with the money she gets from leasing all her other acres out to the other farmers in the area. We know what she makes per horse.
I couldn't even read your whole post. (Paragraphs would help but this time it was as much content.) How she acquired her farm and what you think she does during the day and how much money she makes per horse has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. It's just you being mean or jealous or a busybody.

If the care does not meet your specification then leave.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:49 AM
DREWSBADBOY - (However, if I am an hour or two late to clean the stalls (trust me they will definitely be cleaned that day) because I have something to take care of (example- an injured horse, running my dog to the vet clinic, putting a newly delivered load of sawdust away before it rains- things like that)

Yep that I can understand those reasons, but because you went to dinner with your sister, your boyfriend called or because you wanted to shop at the mall a little longer........nope I don't understand that and never will.

drewsbadboy
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:49 AM
I couldn't even read your whole post. (Paragraphs would help but this time it was as much content.) How she acquired her farm and what you think she does during the day and how much money she makes per horse has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. It's just you being mean or jealous or a busybody.

Agreed completely. How she has her farm or what money she has coming in are absolutely none of your business.

katarine
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
Time for you to move.

IronwoodFarm
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
It seems to me that the issue is more with the competence of the substitute help. Has the OP discussed these concerns with the BO? Since the OP wants to stay at this barn, it would be advisable to get a handle on the anger and see if some reasonable expectations can be reached with the BO.

Pennywell Bay
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:02 AM
Wow. Lots of anger, OP. Maybe they need 2 water buckets? That would help alleviate the water issue if they are indoors. If stalls are dirty when you get there and you do them, that is all you.

I think quality care is important, however, unless you are paying high-end fees, some of your complaints are a bit much.

VCT
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you need to move or get your own place/do self care. Some of your complaints are reasonable but some of your demands are a bit over the top, especially for a small single-person operation. Your wants and needs do not fit in with the barns mode of operation. It is too bad that this was not openly addressed in the beginning.

At my farm horses always have water and generally always have hay (some are fat hoovers that gobble up their hay instantly, so they don't *always* have hay). I clean stalls daily, feed all supplements, etc. But my feeding times DO vary. If that is not okay with people upfront, I tell them they should not move in. They won't be happy and I don't want the headaches.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
I am not angry - I just wish people would do their job. I know what she makes etc. because she tells me and my boyfriend and give us all sorts of information, we really don't need to know.

We did have 2 water buckets over the winter but the autowaters are now on and one horse needs a bucket still because he dips his hay, I told her just to shut off the autowater so he doesn't dip his hay and plug up her waterer and cause a flood - that has happen 2 times now, she still thinks he should have it on, so fine it is her barn.

I talked to her about the help, each time she says ok not a problem I will fix it, and nothing is fixed, so I offer to do my own horses when she is out of town, just let me know.

My boyfriend use to be a trainer and helps her daughter with her horse, at no charge, he fixed her tractor that froze up over the winter because she didn't winterize it, at no charge, helped her put up tongue and grove boards on her wall, at no charge, we both have taken care of her place when she went out of town twice, at no charge. I don't mind helping out, I don't expect to be paid, but I do pay big $$, (cash) to her in board and I expect our agreement to be held up on both of our ends. (yes I get receipts). I am paying for a service, I should get it. Clean stalls, water, grain, and turnout. I do my own blankets so she doesn't have to, I handle my own vet and farrier. I sweep her whole barn before I leave each night, and shut the light off over her show gelding (she has him under lights for his coat) because she hasn't gotten a timer yet, and I make sure the horses without the autowaters have full buckets, because she says she comes up for a night check and she doesn't ever do it. (per the trainer on the other side of the barn) So I do it at 8:30 -9 when I leave.

I am not a b$*ch, I am not jealous, I am not asking for much, what if I had an emergency and spent my board money for it, and couldn't pay her what then?? Hmm I know the answer to that. I pay my board before any other bill, always have for the 15 years I have owned horses, never late, always on time. My end is to pay, her end is to provide a service.

And she and I agreed on the care before my horses came into the barn.

scheherazadetbmare
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:43 AM
I totally understand what the OP is going through.

By the time someone like OP complains here, things have really kept happening till you want to scream. And it's not micormanaging horse care. It's being promised that things will be done, and they aren't done. So a late Easter feeding, standing alone, isn't bad. But on top of dirty stalls, incompetent workers, etc., it's one more thing.

The problem is that BOs will promise you everything, and then not do it. I'd much rather have a BO tell me "no way am I gonna do that" than tell me sure, fine, and then not do it once I move there. I pay for all extras, I did a lot of work at barns FREE, feeding every night for 2 years at one barn, cleaning my own horses' stalls, buying hay and feed when BOs "forgot" to pick some up and I still didn't get the services I paid for.

One barn I boarded had did things the "right" way,, i.e., the way all the books and articles and experts say to run a barn. (She has retired.) The rest around my area just want our $ and resent it when we get mad and move.

So I totally understand where OP is coming from. Being late for Easter feeding is not a deal breaker. But it can be the final straw.

Hinderella
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know how you can title your post a "rant" and then say you're not angry. You're clearly angry about the care provided by the BO/BM. While I don't necessarily agree with the things that you consider shortfalls, that doesn't matter. If you're going to board somwhere, it should be a place with which you are satisfied. You've voiced your concerns, they haven't been satisfied, so move...but not to my barn, we'd never meet your standards.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
JASMINE - I don't need control of everything, I just ask for water, and a clean stall and grain. No they will never be somewhere with free choice hay, my older guy lives on air. He would explode. I also supple my own grain for him because he only gets a little oats with his supplement.

These are my horses, and in the end my responsibility so I can handle all the rest of their care, but feeding and clean stall, I am paying for something aren't I.

casper324
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:50 AM
"The only thing that makes me mad is most boarding places say yep I do that, yep thats not a problem, yep that is how it is done around here, and then the first couple months great, then it goes down hill from there.
If you run a boarding barn and you don't like the hours or pay then get out of the boarding business, don't complain about it and do thing half a$$."

THis goes both ways! I have a pasture boarder who claimed to feed her horses every day so I did not charge her labor, guess whose feeding 2 times a day? I was also assured that the pasture/run in would be cleaned by the boarder. I will just say as a barn owner if I EVER left the run in the way it looks right now, I'd have some boarder hoping on a message board complaining about the run in! This same person wants her horses (one very old timer) on plain oats, but wants me to add 3 supplements 1 a coat conditioner, twice a day at no charge. Good Lord I could swear Nutrena makes fortified feed which provides all the essential nutrients a horse needs.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hinderella - probably not your barn, but I bet you would have told me that when we first met and I was looking to board at your place correct???

Not angry - just needed to vent......maybe I used the wrong word.

The facility is nice, stalls are nice, arena, etc........ so I will continue to board and pay big $$$ for not much, and in addition I will continue to go out every night, even when my horses have the night off, and I will continue to go out 2 times on the weekend (I usually ride in the morning, but to check things at night) so I know they have water, and have been fed and stalls cleaned, and if not, do it myself. I will continue to pay on time, and help out when I can but DAM IT I don't have to like it. So much for ME getting 1 night off from the barn a week, I guess I will continue to care for my guys and pay someone so I can care for my own horses........sounds stupid to me, but I guess I am in the minority.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
Casper 324 -

Yep it does go both ways which is why if is isn't done I do it myself. I have boarded at places that don't clean the run ins that are in the pasture, so I do it myself, no problem, it isn't in out agreement therefore if I want it done I should do it myself.

If they want different grain you don't provide then they can buy it - by the way my boy gets a probiotic in his grain because he can't handle alfalfa and the barns hay is 1/2 grass and 1/2 alfalfa. The probiotic helps this and he does fine and no one needs to buy different hay.

If someone says they will feed their horse, and their horses doesn't get fed by them I would be calling them up, but I wouldn't be doing the job.

Sorry like I said the barn boards my horse, and is suppose to provide care, in the end the horses health and well being is my responsibility.

Pennywell Bay
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
ArabX3
Working Hunter Join Date: Nov. 28, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pay $340 per horse. That is a unheated barn, lots of bedding, nice indoor, huge outdoor, turnout just my three boys together, blanket changes, fly masks, supplements fed, bathroom, lounge, trailer parking, round pen........I am in Janesville Wisconsin.

This is the most I have ever paid. Usually you get all that for $300 and that is a heated barn (kept at 40 degrees). But the care I am ok paying more for, peace of mind is priceless.]endquote

$340 is not "high end" around here. Maybe by you? Not sure and not being condescending. Overall, you ARE paying a lot for 3 horses but horse by horse-not so much.

Again, good care and peace of mind are important. But I think you are being a tad demanding.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:18 PM
I haven't seen anything for $570 a month. I am not at that barn anymore. I pay $400 a month per horse, that is the most I have ever paid, and I have been at heated facilities that charge less. Unfortunately there isn't much around Janesville wish I knew that before I moved, and they would never get $570 a month in this area. Where is that at? Just curious.

$400 a month is a lot when you have 3 horses. If I go into Illinois I can get great care at a training facility for $425 - however it is a hour one way and I can't do that. I already travel an hour and a half a day for work. There are only so many hours in the day. Plus you have to consider the barn hours of the facility too.

I know of a few facilities in Deerfield, but the care sucks, I wouldn't board a rat in those places. Lucky for you that you have your own place! When people ask me about owning horses I always tell them don't do it unless you have your own farm - it is worth it.

scheherazadetbmare
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
i agree with Jasmine. But I've found that even paying extra for everything, and helping out FREE at barns, most BOs still do not provide the services they told me that they gave routinely to all boarders. And I've always paid a lot for full board. I know BOs don't make a lot of money. So I want them to charge me board for what they can provide, then tell me to pay for extras.

Any board in my area under 400$ is cheap. I'd not expect much for less than 425$ or 450$ in my area, which is not near OP's area.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
JASMINE - I agree with you, if you want something that is not on the boarding contract then supply it yourself.........which I do all the time not a problem at all. I thought is was odd to offer graining to roughboard horses, mine are stalled so I don't care about it just seemed odd to me.

Bristol is nice, but it doesn't seem like a horse place, more of a show place. I didn't like the stalls, I looked at it when they first built it. I lived near Madison at the time. The stalls are all open grates all the way around so horses can be nose to nose all the time. Didn't like that concept. Their stall cleaning system is awsome though. They are high you are right.

I buy my own grain and she feeds it - she has a large feed room so no problem there. I use to buy my own hay at another facility, I just brought over a bale or two for one of my boys and put it next to theirs, they didn't have a problem with that either.

moonriverfarm
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
MOVE. I did when I experienced less than expected care for my horses.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Wish I could, but there isn't anything in this area that has a decent facility for year around riding and care.

hessy35
Apr. 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
Oh she has breaks - M-F from 8:30a.m. until 5 pm and then from 6 pm - until the next morning. She doesn't work off the farm. Her farm is also paid in full, her father bought it for her, she pays taxes with the money she gets from leasing all her other acres out to the other farmers in the area. We know what she makes per horse. I know she doesn't always grain the outside horses, or if she is short on hay that she brings over from her house in her truck then they just get what she has, she isn't going back to get more - however that isn;t of my concern, I only care about my boys. If the roughboard horse's owners don't check up on their horses then thats their deal.

She could have cleaned the stalls in the morning easter morning, hers were cleaned, I asked her what happened, she said she was tired driving back from her boyfriends the night before so she left mine until that night. I was there the night before, took time away from my step sons wedding in high heels and black dress checking on my horses, cleaning up their stalls, making sure they had water, etc. Why do I have to do that??? Because there are times when they have been without water, the autowaters have been plugged up and not working, or the people she has running the barn didn't fill up the buckets. Sorry but my horses will not go without water not at all.
She goes to her boyfriends in another state a couple weekends a month - great so tell me, I will do my horses myself, I don't have a problem with that. But don't have some dimwhit take care of my horses.

No my horses won't die if there stalls aren't cleaned, but will they get cleaned if she is running late? I have seen her run in and not have time to do her horses stalls, put the horses in there, feed them and go....why won't she do that to mine??? So I do it myself.

The only thing that makes me mad is most boarding places say yep I do that, yep thats not a problem, yep that is how it is done around here, and then the first couple months great, then it goes down hill from there.
If you run a boarding barn and you don't like the hours or pay then get out of the boarding business, don't complain about it and do thing half a$$.
I could go somewhere else, but there isn't anything decent until you go about 1 hour away, and that doesn't work for me. I have 3 horses that are worked 6 days a week, I don't have an extra 2 hours for travel.

Sounds to me like you need to find a different barn.

bizbachfan
Apr. 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
OP has stated there is no other barn to go to. You also sound like you do a lot of "favors" for the BO and that can lead to trouble. There is no line no boundary. Sounds like BO might be a bit lazy and/or so is her help. Might you suggest to the BO that you do self care and pay less? If not 100% perhaps work out some deal.....

If you do your own stalls and water, etc out of necessity suggest a reduction in board? It is worth a try.

As for the feeding times those can vary at smaller barns w/o full time staff and I have never seen it become a huge problem. Unless horses are getting breakfast at 10 am and dinner at 3 pm.....

drewsbadboy
Apr. 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
Casper 324 -

If someone says they will feed their horse, and their horses doesn't get fed by them I would be calling them up, but I wouldn't be doing the job.

Unfortunately this would open up a whole other can of worms for a barn owner. :) In most places the BO/BM would end up being responsible for skinny, poor looking horses on the place. And if the horse owner's were in the wrong (which they would be in this example) it would reflect poorly on the farm she has worked hard to provide a high standard of care for the horses living there.

This is why I would never offer this as an option for boarders.

It sounds like you should maybe try and find your own place. It doesn't sound like you can find exactly what you are looking for in any boarding facility.

trubandloki
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:10 PM

I agree!

leilatigress
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
I envy you folks only paying 400 or 500 a month for full board. Here in Houston that might get you a pasture and forget an arena much less a stall. But if the agreement says xyz I expect xyz. Back when I was the BO/BM I had a plan and then a couple of backups for said plan.

CatOnLap
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:22 PM
boy I am glad you don't board with me.

You are very particular. You not only want a clean stall, clean water and regular feeds, you want them done by a particular person at a particular time each day.

If the stalls and paddocks are cleaned daily, it doesn't give you the right to rant because they aren't done by the time you want them done. If feed is occassionally an hour late and once in a blue moon is 2 hours late, no horse is going to die from it. If hay is a bit short one day, but the horses maintain their condition, again, not a real problem.

Water, yes I am particular about. That is why my horses each have 2 buckets, in case one gets dirty, empty or the water boy is a bit late.

Who feeds, cleans, looks after the place? As long as there is a human who can recognize blood and dial a vet or me on a cell phone, the BO is welcome to take a holiday for a weekend and hire the local teenager to feed and muck.

And to get it all at less than $400/month? Count yourself lucky or move.

Hinderella
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:22 PM
ArabX3, if you had visited the barn where I board, I definitely would have told you what to expect ;) I love my barn, but it's not fancy at all, and feeding times can vary. The family that does the feeding has been known to feed later on a holiday or a special occasion, but they work very very hard every day to take care of 32 horses, and I don't begrudge them some personal time. Stalls are rarely used, are typically cleaned in the late a.m. by the B. O., but sometimes not until early afternoon. But the horses would NEVER be without water.

It'a amazing how much board varies from place to place. I pay $400 a month for 24/7 turnout in a dry lot, with the option of a stall if the weather's horrible. Hay twice a day, water, barn grain (I buy my own brand, which I prefer). No blanketing, no holding for farrier or vet. no indoor, no trainers.

You may not be able to find a spot right away, but I hope you are able to find a situation that works for you.

Nezzy
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
MayBe you could offer to take the BO or is it BM? To lunch. Then you can talk about the situation and it won't feel like you are being defensive to her. if you don't want to move then you need to try to works things out. Offer to buy a second water bucket. Try to compromise a little bit. If your horse misses a meal it's not the end of the world. I have been at many barns, but not b/c I wanted to be. Just could never find perfection. Guess what? You won't find it. There are many things you will need to compromise on. Time of feeding should not be a problem.

Kate66
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
I wonder if what this boils down to is a communication issue.

You say you check the water every night and you switch off her horse's light every night. So, if this has been going on for ages and you are consistent, why would the BM even bother doing it - you are already doing it. Maybe she thinks that you LIKE doing it.

Why don't you just sit down with her, instead of having an online hissy fit, and say "look, I want to clear the air, there are several things that I am very conscious of that seem to be contradictory to our original agreement. I would like to just discuss them and see if they can be corrected".

Donella
Apr. 25, 2011, 03:58 PM
I have the solution: buy your own horse property, build the arena and set it up exactly how you want it and hire staff to care for your horse and the place exactly the way you like.
Problem solved.

Her place, her rules. If you don't like it, leave.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:04 PM
Some clarification - I don't mind if she has someone else do the chores but explain to them what needs to be done. If they can handle it then fine. She went away for a weeks vacation, the people feeding in the morning were feeding my older gelding the barn grain, I found out one day 3 because he had gas colic - I asked them if they were feeding the plain oats, response "oops no I didnt think there was a difference". Another time the person couldn't fingure out how to hang the bucket with a bucket strap (BO prefers these to the hooks) so she just set it on the ground....hmm big mistake. To clean stalls they just pick the poop out around the horses, for a week? Are you kidding me......I figured that one out on day 2, I started doing my own so the pee spot was removed etc. The person doing the night chores got there late and fed and left, never watered anyone (autowaters shut off in winter). So I told the BO from now on when she leaves let me know and I will care for my horses myself - saves her $$ on paying someone to care for mine. Is that so much to ask? And why is that a bad thing? I don't mind getting up early going out to the barn to fed, turnout and clean stalls. Just let me know.

I don't care when stalls get cleaned - once a day is all I ask, if I come out and they aren't done, I just do them no big deal. But as for feeding feeding at 9:30 in the morning and then again at 2:30 because we have to go out to dinner is not a good idea in my book.

Anyway I guess I am just to damn picky. If you ever go and buy a car and ask for air conditioning and it only works once in awhile, don't complain it does work, just not when you want it, pay the money and shut up.

Sorry I brought this up. $400 a month is a lot for this area, maybe not to those of you that pay more. Glad I don't live in your area. Like I said I will continue to pay board and I will continue to care for my horses myself, lesson here - don't have horses unless you have your own place.

Sounds like most BOs/BMs on this board just want money - to hell with the horses care. Great places.....WOW! :eek:

trubandloki
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
She could have cleaned the stalls in the morning easter morning, hers were cleaned, I asked her what happened, she said she was tired driving back from her boyfriends the night before so she left mine until that night.

I don't care when stalls get cleaned - once a day is all I ask, if I come out and they aren't done, I just do them no big deal.

You have to get your rants straight.

:winkgrin:

drewsbadboy
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds like most BOs/BMs on this board just want money - to hell with the horses care. Great places.....WOW! :eek:

That's a completely unfair and unwarranted statement. Not to mention absurd.

bizbachfan
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:16 PM
okay 9:30 am feeding then 2:30 is a bit ridiculous has this happened more than a handful of times? I would say if you must stay there you need to do self care.

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:16 PM
Kate 66 -

I switch the light off because she asked me to do it. She didn't want her horse to have the light on all night so he can rest. I check the water because I can't see a horse without water, I stopped doing hers and she put another water bucket in.....the other horses I still did.

I guess I should just stop doing things and just take care of my own horses. She probably figures if she doesn't do it I will just do it myself, saves her time etc.

We communicate all the time. I guess I just expect to much. She actually is a very nice person, and just loves my horses. Spoils them rotten, I guess in the future I will just take care of my boys and just continue to double check everything each day. Thankfully I am close enough to go out there every day and twice on the weekends.

I wasn't having a hissy fit, I was just venting.......guess I touched some nerves.

trubandloki
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
I wasn't having a hissy fit, I was just venting.......

From someone looking from the outside it sure does read like a hissy fit to me. Just saying.

What is the technical difference between a hissy fit and a vent to you, anyway?

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
You have to get your rants straight.

:winkgrin:

Leaving stalls until 7 in the evening and cleaning her own, her horses were out, mine were in, I pay for the service, her own horses don't. The stalls were trashed. She even agreed and had to go get bags of bedding to put in there because they had to be stripped. If you are tired and want to get some stalls done wouldn't you do your paying customers? Not the horses of your own that only come in a couple nights a week?? Why leave horses standing in that mess, especially one that has bad scratches and were are treating aggressively.

I have everything straight, I am picky remember?

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:22 PM
From someone looking from the outside it sure does read like a hissy fit to me. Just saying.

What is the technical difference between a hissy fit and a vent to you, anyway?

Hissy fit - bit&*ing about something without talking to the person first and getting their side.

Venting, talking to them and not liking the answers and instead of yelling at her, which never solves anything I posted a rant on here.

Sorry I won't ever do it again. You guys are above me.

sublimequine
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
If you're unhappy, move. Simple as that. It can be hard, but it's like ripping off a bandaid, painful but only momentary and most be done! :yes:

I've also come to learn most BO/BMs don't seem to be 100% honest with the daily happenings at the barn. They can be quite "yes men" when you're there to view the barn and ask about services. Then when you move in, surprise, it's a totally different story.

That's why I like my current barn. When I spoke with the BO before moving in, she had absolutely no problem telling me that no, they don't do blanketing. They won't touch my mare's blankets unless she's tangled in it or obviously distressed. They won't feed grain (it's a pasture board facility). The stalls are available for use, but don't expect the BO to clean them, stalls are self-serve. I really appreciated that honesty, and there were no nasty surprises after moving in. :)

ArabX3
Apr. 25, 2011, 05:06 PM
SUBLIMEQUINE: That is all I wanted, honesty - it isn't to much to ask. Right up front. I would be happy with that.

Like I said before there isn't any other places, I will just have to live with it. And I can't get my own place, if I could you bet I would. Unfortunately with the housing market in my area I couldn't sell my house, maybe in a couple years things will change.

DREWSBADBOY - not an unfair statement you all just said this is what my board costs, pay it, but it is my barn, my rules, which means you can do as you please regardless of what you said you would do, but you still want the $$.

Thanks everyone!

drewsbadboy
Apr. 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
I guess you really didn't read my first post then? About all the extras that are done free of charge to try to accomodate owners? I'm very upfront with all my boarders- if they want something changed in their horse's care they are welcome to discuss it with me and I will work with them, but I can't have people telling me how to run my business and demand everything is done this way or that way. I keep everything consistent. There are no surprises and I've found that everyone is happy with the services provided. Well, best of luck to you. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for. :)

tasia
Apr. 25, 2011, 06:40 PM
You can come board with me :) I plan my life around the horses. Nothing you are expecting is unreasonable. Now I know why my boarders are always thanking me :) Hope you get things straightened out.

mvp
Apr. 25, 2011, 09:07 PM
A few posts back, OP, you said the BO was given the farm, leases out parts and such?

Maybe the boarding business just isn't business to her. You can rant about her not meeting care standards. But the stuff about "Why can't she treat it like a job?" May have an answer: Because she doesn't have to. Or maybe she hasn't learned how to do that.

If the price is right, the facility is good and you can make sure you horses get their three squares, you can give yourself some peace by not worrying about your BO's lack of professionalism. She has now told you that that's how she rolls. You can be surprised the first time. Don't be surprised over and over and over. You'll just make yourself nuts for no reason.

Justmyluck
Apr. 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
I agree 100% with the OP. It isnt so bad when things happen on occasion however when things start building up it gets ridiculous. You choose to operate a boarding barn as your job. Do it and do it right and sure as hell don't blame it on the help you hire. You hired them thus you must also manage them. Hired help does not get you free ride from the blame of my horses water not being filled or stall being left filthy.

I worked for a year, school schedule forced me to leave, at an upscale boarding barn, some of the crap I did was ridiculous but you bet your ass I was there on time every day and did everything exactly as specified. Because its how I would want MY horse to be treated.

alteringwego
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:20 PM
if you don't like it, then do it yourself. And I dare you to make sure that 365 days a year you have nothing else EVER come up so that horses get everything perfect.
Truly, they don't care! They do better when there is a bit of flexibility in their schedules.

trubandloki
Apr. 26, 2011, 08:02 AM
Has it ever occurred to you that your constant change of requirements is just as frustrating to your barn owner?

You state you do not care when stalls are cleaned as long as they are cleaned at least one time per day and then go on to rant about how it was wrong that they were not cleaned until 7pm and give all the reasons why it is so wrong.

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:11 AM
trubandloki - There hasn't been any changes from me as to the care of my horses since I moved there. My horses are use to routine. I have never boarded at a place where the horses weren't fed at the same time every day, maybe a 1/2 hour difference here or there but that is it.

alteringwego - I ran a barn for 2 years. Horses were fed on time everyday, there was no sleeping an extra hour on the weekends, there were no family get togethers durning chore time. Everything was done around that time. The stalls were always cleaned the same time every day. I never had any complaints. It was my job to care for those peoples horses, and it is an important job because they have to trust you with the care of an animal that many times is like there own kid. (at least the boarders I had). I took the job serously and cared for the horses like they were my own. If I didn't like the pay, the hours, the commitment to the job I wouldn't have done it. Its not fair to the horses not to care about their well being but treat them like a check coming in.

I don't think stalls should ever be left undone from Saturday morning until late Sunday night when horses are in all day. I think that is wrong. Water should be kept in front of horses at all times. If you hire someone it is still your responsibility for the care of the horses, you may have put the work into someone elses hands, but if something goes wrong it is your a$$ not theres.

Anyway the owner apologized last night for getting back late on Sunday and the stalls being so bad. She said she should have done mine first and left hers until she got back. We have an agreement that if she isn't going to make it to fed on time to call me and I can come out and feed my boys. She also asked if I would be willing to do the chores on the one weekend a month she goes down to ride her horse at her boyfriends, and I told her I don't have a problem with that. At least then all the horses will be cared for they way the should be without mistakes - her remark not mine. She said she made some wrong choices on the boaders she asked to take over for her while she was gone.

So bottom line we have things ironed out and in the future if something comes up I will get a call, which she did do a couple times in the beginning, and I can take care of my boys myself.

Thanks everyone for your input, some of you I am glad I don't board at your facility, some I am glad I don't live where you are and pay your board prices, and some of you understood where I was coming from.

dalpal
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:20 AM

Well..then you have limited choices

A. Tell her this instead of phantom ranting on a message board (what people think this will accomplish boggles my mnd)

B. Buy your own place (sounds like you need to run things your way)

C. Drive an hour out to a "better place"

D. Put up with all the things that annoy you.

I will never understand the purpose of ranting about things such as these. If my horses weren't getting fed/hayed..I'd leave.

trubandloki
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:27 AM
I will never understand the purpose of ranting about things such as these. If my horses weren't getting fed/hayed..I'd leave.
As would most of us. But some people seem to find a specific riding set up more important than finding a barn that meets the management needs they seem to have.

Wish I could, but there isn't anything in this area that has a decent facility for year around riding and care.

dalpal
Apr. 26, 2011, 09:31 AM
Some clarification - I don't mind if she has someone else do the chores but explain to them what needs to be done. If they can handle it then fine. She went away for a weeks vacation, the people feeding in the morning were feeding my older gelding the barn grain, I found out one day 3 because he had gas colic - I asked them if they were feeding the plain oats, response "oops no I didnt think there was a difference". Another time the person couldn't fingure out how to hang the bucket with a bucket strap (BO prefers these to the hooks) so she just set it on the ground....hmm big mistake. To clean stalls they just pick the poop out around the horses, for a week? Are you kidding me......I figured that one out on day 2, I started doing my own so the pee spot was removed etc. The person doing the night chores got there late and fed and left, never watered anyone (autowaters shut off in winter). So I told the BO from now on when she leaves let me know and I will care for my horses myself - saves her $$ on paying someone to care for mine. Is that so much to ask? And why is that a bad thing? I don't mind getting up early going out to the barn to fed, turnout and clean stalls. Just let me know.

I don't care when stalls get cleaned - once a day is all I ask, if I come out and they aren't done, I just do them no big deal. But as for feeding feeding at 9:30 in the morning and then again at 2:30 because we have to go out to dinner is not a good idea in my book.

Anyway I guess I am just to damn picky. If you ever go and buy a car and ask for air conditioning and it only works once in awhile, don't complain it does work, just not when you want it, pay the money and shut up.

Sorry I brought this up. $400 a month is a lot for this area, maybe not to those of you that pay more. Glad I don't live in your area. Like I said I will continue to pay board and I will continue to care for my horses myself, lesson here - don't have horses unless you have your own place.

Yup..and there you have it. Reminds me of the lady who wanted to free lease my gelding..>FREE. Then wanted me to send video clips of this that, wanted show records, wanted all this info without even seeing the horse...When I finally pissed her off by telling her I'd sell her the horse, but I wasn't doing all of this for FREE...the crazy side showed up with a rant similar to this one above.

OP..with that attitude, I'm guessing you are high maintenance boarder (and no, I'm not a BO or BM) and drive the management nuts. They may be hiding out until you leave. :confused: They may be filing water buckets, see you pull in and then run for cover. Something to think about...maybe you have this "chip on your shoulder" attitude towards these people too.

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:20 AM
DALPAL - actually the owner comes to the barn just to talk. She has told me I am the best boarder she has had because I keep her barn clean when I am done, care a great deal about my horses and help out when I can. I am not high maintenance. I do my own vetting, own farrier, blanketing, all I need a barn to do it feed, turnout and clean my horses stall. That is it. Not asking for much - I believe that is what the contract states. What do you guys pay for when you board? I am at a loss as to the way some of you care for your horses.

I have never had a barn owner not like me. I would be welcomed back to any barn I have boarded at. I do not burn bridges. Sorry but I am not that way. You have no clue at all.

trubandloki
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
You must come across very differently to the barn owner's face than you talk about them behind their back.

In your eyes, my horses are abused.
I do sleep in an extra hour on weekends.
Last night we had to stop at the vets on the way home from work and when we got home I had dog stuff to deal with and then the fire took forever to get started. By the time I got out to the barn my poor abused horses were almost 2 hours past their usual time getting dinner. Gasp.

Not that there is a true usual time. It is some where in a 2 1/2 hour window.

Pennywell Bay
Apr. 26, 2011, 10:44 AM
[OP..with that attitude, I'm guessing you are high maintenance boarder (and no, I'm not a BO or BM) and drive the management nuts. They may be hiding out until you leave. :confused: They may be filing water buckets, see you pull in and then run for cover. Something to think about...maybe you have this "chip on your shoulder" attitude towards these people too.[/QUOTE]

I had a boarder like this. Nice to my face, complained behind my back. " My horse does not have any hay" - he scarfs it within an hr and throws the rest around his stall. " His water is dirty"- he dunks." " Why don't you feed my Brand of grain". Then- she complained on FB and I kicked her hiney out ( with the help of the COTHers).
Yes, she would pick his stall out then bitch about it. "THEN DON'T do it. "

She, as well, thinks she is welcome back at all her old barns. I guarentee you, she is not. The horse world is a small one. No one wants a badmouthing, PITA boarder.
I hid. I was a prisoner on my farm. It sucked.

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
I am not bad mouthing her all I asked is why can't people do what they say they are going to do - that is it. Darn people. And I don't talk behind her back, all this has been brought up to her, trust me if I have something to say I will say it. I don't do something and then bitch about it, if I don't want to do it I don't simple as that.

My horse dunks and it is disguisting, I offer to scrub his bucket and clean it out when I am there, I am there everyday, he is the only horse that does this. Nope she wants to do it, fine and she does, and I do to.

Feeding - all my horses eat her grain and hay except for my old guy and I buy it at no cost to her.

I pick out my stalls every night, and I don't mind cleaning them once in a while.

And my horses get hay, actually to much, so we just take it out at night.

Again I don't complain behind her back, or no ones for that matter, I will say anything to anyones face, especially when it comes to my horses.

If you can't do the job, don't put it in the contract! (emergencies not included)!

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:04 AM
And yes I am welcome back - one barn my boyfriend still goes out there and trims their horses, and they always ask me when I am coming back.

The other barn I show with those people and they always tell me to move back to the city and board with them again.

And the other barn - she calls me and emails me to see how everything is going with my horses, and we get together for drinks occasionally.

Yep they all hate me.

Drive NJ
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
I can agree that for you this barn and your feelings about the BOs do not seem to be a good match despite the current agreement.

FWIW, we have found over 40 plus years of boarding that it is often best to first LISTEN to the BO/BM on what is offered and then consider how that differs from your idea of good care before deciding to even ask if they can meet your needs.

Most people running barns have their own idea of care and run their place accordingly. Everything you ask that is different is a disruption of their pattern (which you admit is important to horses and people) and probably a difference in philosophy in care.

You need blankets and they don't do them? It is NOT going to be a part of their plan to think "gee it's hot today... better use a lighter blanket on horsey"

You need a different feed? Now they have to remember to buy something else OR to remind you to provide it and when the boarder who is going to provide the special feed forgets the horse gets 'house grain' which messes up their planning on how often to get grain for the barn. No big deal in your mind, but extra work for them.

Special turnout when they typically do something else can mess up a pasture rotation plan.

In when everyone else is out, changes how stalls are managed.

So, we listen first. Consider if our needs are very different and if too different to fit the plan easily, then discuss possibilities and LISTEN again to the response. If the response is "no problem... what's another grain type, I already have 4-5" then different grain is going to work. If it's more like "well... if you provide it I'll feed it" and when you look in the feed room there is only the one kind of food, you may be riding for a fall-out.

What you see as a regular time for food to make your horse's healthier, they may see as too regimented making the horses anxious as meal-time approaches, where a 2 hour feed window means the horses may be more matter of fact about changes.

We did work out some changes in horse care for your horses at the barn we have been at for the last 7 years. But we also openly negotiated each step and know there are other things (like when stalls are cleaned; that she is not going to re-fill a water bucket the horse dumps over in the stall during the day when they have access to outside water and that her idea of a tidy tack room can carriage area and ours are quite a bit different) that aren't going to change so we need to change our reaction to them or find somewhere else.

Hoping your new agreement with the barn owner works out. Hoping you will also find a way to not let this level of anger/frustration build up again because you are putting that pain on yourself. The barn has, by now, shown you who they are. Your turn to decide if that's where you want to be. Boarding is always a compromise. You find the best fit and make it work.

tasia
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:18 AM
Nothing this person is complaining about makes her a high maintenance boarder. I think the tone of her complaint is what is pushing peoples buttons. Wanting your stalls cleaned, water in buckets, feedings at same time and done correctly doesn't make someone high maintenance. Just saying.

Also, if a boarder shows up at my barn in a gown and heels to check on horses and pick stalls, I will be posting pictures on facebook, lmao, sorry :)

Drive NJ
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:30 AM
I can agree that for you this barn and your feelings about the BOs do not seem to be a good match despite the current agreement.

FWIW, we have found over 40 plus years of boarding that it is often best to first LISTEN to the BO/BM on what is offered and then consider how that differs from your idea of good care before deciding to even ask if they can meet your needs.

Most people running barns have their own idea of care and run their place accordingly. Everything you ask that is different is a disruption of their pattern (which you admit is important to horses and people) and probably a difference in philosophy in care.

You need blankets and they don't do them? It is NOT going to be a part of their plan to think "gee it's hot today... better use a lighter blanket on horsey"

You need a different feed? Now they have to remember to buy something else OR to remind you to provide it and when the boarder who is going to provide the special feed forgets the horse gets 'house grain' which messes up their planning on how often to get grain for the barn. No big deal in your mind, but extra work for them.

Special turnout when they typically do something else can mess up a pasture rotation plan.

In when everyone else is out, changes how stalls are managed.

So, we listen first. Consider if our needs are very different and if too different to fit the plan easily, then discuss possibilities and LISTEN again to the response. If the response is "no problem... what's another grain type, I already have 4-5" then different grain is going to work. If it's more like "well... if you provide it I'll feed it" and when you look in the feed room there is only the one kind of food, you may be riding for a fall-out.

What you see as a regular time for food to make your horse's healthier, they may see as too regimented making the horses anxious as meal-time approaches, where a 2 hour feed window means the horses may be more matter of fact about changes.

We did work out some changes in horse care for your horses at the barn we have been at for the last 7 years. But we also openly negotiated each step and know there are other things (like when stalls are cleaned; that she is not going to re-fill a water bucket the horse dumps over in the stall during the day when they have access to outside water and that her idea of a tidy tack room can carriage area and ours are quite a bit different) that aren't going to change so we need to change our reaction to them or find somewhere else.

Hoping your new agreement with the barn owner works out. Hoping you will also find a way to not let this level of anger/frustration build up again because you are putting that pain on yourself. The barn has, by now, shown you who they are. Your turn to decide if that's where you want to be. Boarding is always a compromise. You find the best fit and make it work.

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
TASIA - it was comical if you would have been there, it was a short dress but still the high heels it was funny. However the people that were taking over for the barn owner did the chores that night, and like I suspected didn't fill the water bucket in my horses stall after dumping it out, didn't close the stall door on the barn owners mare's stall so I am gald I took the time to run out there and check on things. The mare likes to get out and roam the barn and trash the place.

Should have taken photos, that would have been funny! And its not the first time :)

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 11:43 AM
Drive NJ - the barn owner has show horses, they are blanketed as are mine. She has lights above all the stalls for their show coats as are mine. Her 2 horses do not go out in the mud, rain, snow, neither do mine - she has 2 broadmares that do go out whatever the weather. Her gelding rips the stall apart when not fed on time, has riped his feeder down Sunday night and autowater out one other time, he has a bucket now. Her broadmares get different grain then the rest along with regumate.

One boarders horse can only have grass hay, one boarders horse can't go out when there is dew on the ground because get this - his shoes will fall off! Not kidding!

One roughboarder wants the hay put in the lean too so her horse doesn't have to stand in the rain to eat. Her other roughboard horse needs to be taken out of the pasture and grained every night or he will go after the other horses in the pasture at feeding time - AND mine? Eat the barn grain, eat the barn hay, gets a prebagged supplement at night only, need their stalls clean and one horse has a water bucket. I am high maintenance? No I don't think so.

Gloria
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:01 PM
TASIA - it was comical if you would have been there, it was a short dress but still the high heels it was funny. However the people that were taking over for the barn owner did the chores that night, and like I suspected didn't fill the water bucket in my horses stall after dumping it out, didn't close the stall door on the barn owners mare's stall so I am gald I took the time to run out there and check on things. The mare likes to get out and roam the barn and trash the place.

Were they still doing the chores when you showed up, or were they already done and gone, and you found your horse without water?

If it was the first, I don't see why you should be upset. it could be they were still in the process. I certainly woudn't dump one bucket, fill it up before dumping another. I would dump them all before making a round to fill the water buckets, maybe as the very last step of whole slew of chores. If it was the latter, yeah, I would be upset too.

You complained about the feeding time: how do you know your horse wouldn't be fed a bit later if you had not fed yourself already?

Were you there watching every step the crew did while they were doing their chores? If you were, hate to tell you this, but you just made yourself public enemy to all the crew.

You complained about a lot of other things too, which I got a splitting headache just reading the first third of it. May I sugget if you want to get your points across, sit down, take a deep breath, and organize your thoughts before typing away in anger so your posts sound clearer and not as disjointed and... well "bratty"?

But really it sounds like you are very unhappy with the cares provided so unless you want to waste your life getting angry at something you can't change and venting on a forum, I don't see why you stay.

If you can leave, leave. If you can't, well, do what you have to, and accept it was your own decision not to leave, and then suck up to it.

You sound very young in your posts and that might explain the ton you have. You will probably find that there are just so many things in lives that won't run as should be and you just need to deal with them as gracefully as you can.

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:34 PM
GLORIA - All chores were completed before I got there. My horse is the only one with the bucket to be filled, the other one done. I don't watch anyone doing chores, I am not there at that time. There isn't a crew - it is usually a roughboarder that she asks to do chores while she is gone, I don't know them, they don't know me. If I have a problem with something they did or did not do I tell the barn owner not them, it is her responsibility.

"how do you know your horse wouldn't be fed a bit later if you had not fed yourself already" - easy feeding time is between 4:30 and 5:30 - I am not there at that time I show up around 6:15 - 7:45. How do I know they haven't been fed - because of the way the horses are acting, plus they should still have hay at that point, she feeds a lot of hay.

I have already said many times I am staying here. It is close enough to my house to monitor my horses, what doesn't get done I will do - again all I asked is why can't people do what they say they will do - is it that hard????

And I am 45. I am not being bratty, just can't understand why people say one thing and do another, guess I am a different person I do what I say, period.

Gloria
Apr. 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
How do I know they haven't been fed - because of the way the horses are acting, plus they should still have hay at that point, she feeds a lot of hay.

Well all my horses act like they have not been fed for a solid decade when they had just finished one big meal of grain.... Lacking hay is a concern... so you saying she feeds plenty of hay but miss yours "intentionally"?

...guess I am a different person I do what I say, period.

The world would have been a lot simpler if everybody does what they say right?

So what do you plan to do? Buy the farm and manage yourself? Buy a property and bring your own horse home? Shoot the incompetent temp worker so the BO has to find another one? Shoot the BO yourself? Keep driving your own blood pressure up for something you can't change?

Or find a way to make you/your horse freaking endearing to the temp worker so your horse is pampered beyound word? - no kidding here. When my horse has to be under care of somebody else, I make sure to tip the temp worker and praise their tiny bittie work like they had won the world champion... and guess what? My boy is literally treated like a princess:rolleyes:...

I myself prefer to find a solution that "can" make my own life easier, just saying.

alto
Apr. 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
Posted by Gloria

So what do you plan to do? Buy the farm and manage yourself? Buy a property and bring your own horse home? Shoot the incompetent temp worker so the BO has to find another one? Shoot the BO yourself? Keep driving your own blood pressure up for something you can't change?

:confused: the OP has already answered all these questions if you (& others) took the time to read preceding posts ...

ArabX3
Hopefully the care will be more consistent with your new arrangement :)

FWIW I share your expectations that BO/BM will do as stated during the initial interview - afterall that is the whole point of having a care vs expectations discussion prior to moving to a particular barn.
I don't have to agree with all the stated care but having been given a set of answers (provided without coercion), I do expect that the BO/BM is realistically stating what they do/provide rather than putting forth a fairytale version of what they would like to do in some distant, hazy faraway time .....
Then I can decide which compromises will work out best for me and my horse.

Gloria
Apr. 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
:confused: the OP has already answered all these questions if you (& others) took the time to read preceding posts ...

ArabX3
Hopefully the care will be more consistent with your new arrangement :)

FWIW I share your expectations that BO/BM will do as stated during the initial interview - afterall that is the whole point of having a care vs expectations discussion prior to moving to a particular barn.
I don't have to agree with all the stated care but having been given a set of answers (provided without coercion), I do expect that the BO/BM is realistically stating what they do/provide rather than putting forth a fairytale version of what they would like to do in some distant, hazy faraway time .....
Then I can decide which compromises will work out best for me and my horse.

I know she has answered "ALL" these questions, and that is why I asked her again, because if she has, why is she still angry? The power to make change is in her hand, so is the power to decide not to change. She can expect all she wants how others should behave, but that makes no difference to her situation (I'm not saying what she expects isn't reasonable, by the way). Just does not make sense to me.

dalpal
Apr. 26, 2011, 03:17 PM
And yes I am welcome back - one barn my boyfriend still goes out there and trims their horses, and they always ask me when I am coming back.

The other barn I show with those people and they always tell me to move back to the city and board with them again.

And the other barn - she calls me and emails me to see how everything is going with my horses, and we get together for drinks occasionally.

Yep they all hate me.

Soooo..what's the problem..take one of them up on their offer and go back. Sounds to me like there's your answer.

ArabX3
Apr. 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
dalpal - can't go back 1 of them I no longer live near, one has closed (she lost her husband) the other one I moved because they had changed the way they were going to run the barn - they no longer have show horses their daughters has moved so the horses there go out everyday no matter what the weather.

I already said I am staying - and the temp worker now when the manager leaves will be me. Problems solved with the temp workers, as for her I know how she does things now, therefore I will continue to care for my horses and keep an eye on things.

Again all I was saying is why do people say one thing and then not do it when it comes to running a business. Yes I was venting, if I was that mad I would look for something else, but I can handle all of these problems by just doing things myself. It just sucks to pay money to someone and you do the work. Doesn't make sense to me, but from what I gather from other people I have spoken to they have the same problems at their barns, only worse, so I guess I should be grateful I don't have it that bad.

Also another way to see if horses have been fed is the ones that go outside are still outside not in the barn eating:D And my horses don't ask for more food once they have their grain because they have hay in front of them. One thing I do know and that is my horses.

drewsbadboy
Apr. 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
I am at a loss as to the way some of you care for your horses.

That's hard to say if you've never been out to the farms or seen their horses. :)

Chief2
Apr. 27, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wow.

Being an ex-BM and seeing this from both sides of the fence, I can easily say the following: Ex-BM's who are control freaks usually make difficult boarders at best, and often high strung, nosy, cantankerous pot stirrers at their worst. This sounds like that classic situation where the BO is more philosophical and laid back, and the boarder is a complete, hands-on control freak with their own horses, and minding everyone else's business as well. Works great in a BM position, but not if you're just a boarder. But the BO has solved that problem and insinuated herself into the work force as well, not only putting herself in the position to care for her own horses (which she was already doing anyway), but getting involved with the other boarders' horses, maybe to help whip the place into shape. Help it run by the book, run by the clock, and get the boarders and (maybe even the BO) on board with her ideas of providing decent horse care. In the short run this could work well for the BO. In the long run, it will probably turn into a nightmare. What business is it of yours which way the BO chooses to board her own horses, in or out? Or what arrangements other boarders have with the BO to care for theirs? Are you paying on these animals? No. You're only paying for your own. For all intents and purposes, you are just a boarder.

It amazes me that there isn't a website like 'Rate My Boarder', a spin-off from the Rate My Horse Pro website, where BO's can throw rocks at their boarders on a national website, and the ratings will stay up there permanently. Too much stress involved with this boarder. I'm glad I'm not in this barn.

tasia
Apr. 27, 2011, 03:59 PM
I still don't see this person as high maintenance. Horses being fed the correct feed at the same time everday. Horses having water in their buckets. Stalls being cleaned. Sounds like basic full board to me.

danceronice
Apr. 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
I don't care if my horse is fed at 6pm or 8pm on different days. It is not going to affect him unless he's sick.

Clean stall is good. Missing a day here and there is not a disaster.

Water is a necessity, though obviously if they drink it all up at 10pm, I don't expect a midnight check and refill every night. (In this case, unless the auto-waterer is always broken, shouldn't be an issue.)

Decent care is good. Expecting the BO to run their entire life around the barn without fail every single day forever or get a sub who does it EXACTLY the same way is obsessive-compulsive disorder.

katarine
Apr. 27, 2011, 05:20 PM
Sounds like a small enough barn that she has no hired help. It's all on her. So there will be the occasional hiccup in the day to day. Expecting one person to never have a late or early feeding time is crazy.

Get over that, or move.

Next topic,please.

alteringwego
Apr. 27, 2011, 08:31 PM
I would like to 'like' Chief2's post. Well said!

My theory, if you can do it better yourself, then by all means, do it yourself. At your own place that is. :-)

mkevent
Apr. 28, 2011, 08:43 PM
Drive NJ-that was the best explanation of boarding from a BOs perspective that I've ever read. Truly spot-on.

ArabX3-while you do have some valid complaints, how you have voiced them and the intonation of your posts is very off putting. I would venture to guess that most farm owners here reading this would not be willing to take you as a boarder. Instead of stepping back and listening to what is being said, you attack all farm owners as greedy and heartless.

Both BOs and boarders all have nightmare stories.
There are some true psychopaths in the horseworld. I doubt that you can spend much time around horses without running into at least a few. It would be nice if we could easily identify them before getting involved in business with them, but that's not always possible. The best we can do is learn our lesson and move on.

What bothers me most is the "us vs. them" mentality. You need to look at situations individually and not lump everyone into the same category.

Every time a boarder does not work out, I shoulder some of the responsibility myself. I think about what I could have done differently. It makes me a better person and able to learn and grow from my mistakes. None of us are perfect but we can always strive to improve in how we do business.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of BOs just like me. You just need to give us the courtesy of listening to our side.

MoonWitch
Apr. 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
Drive NJ-that was the best explanation of boarding from a BOs perspective that I've ever read. Truly spot-on.

ArabX3-while you do have some valid complaints, how you have voiced them and the intonation of your posts is very off putting. I would venture to guess that most farm owners here reading this would not be willing to take you as a boarder. Instead of stepping back and listening to what is being said, you attack all farm owners as greedy and heartless.

There are some true psychopaths in the horseworld. I doubt that you can spend much time around horses without running into at least a few. It would be nice if we could easily identify them before getting involved in business with them, but that's not always possible. The best we can do is learn our lesson and move on.

What bothers me most is the "us vs. them" mentality. You need to look at situations individually and not lump everyone into the same category.

Every time a boarder does not work out, I shoulder some of the responsibility myself. I think about what I could have done differently. It makes me a better person and able to learn and grow from my mistakes. None of us are perfect but we can always strive to improve in how we do business.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of BOs just like me. You just need to give us the courtesy of listening to our side.

This...exactly!!

Gloria
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:06 AM

Very nicely put.

SMF11
Apr. 29, 2011, 11:25 AM

This is exactly right!

Jack16
Apr. 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
I agree that I don't think the OP is wrong in her concerns. For all of the people on here saying, she is only one person, give her a break, well if I am giving someone a break then I want a break in my board. It's as simple as that. I used to work for a big brokerage house and the market is not closed on all holidays. Can I just call up all of the investors and say, sorry I would like a personal day and am just going to ignore your investments for the day, hopefully it all works out? The last place I boarded I paid $700/mo for which is pretty high for Virginia. It was a 50 horse boarding stable with 30 stalled horses. The BM hired 2 people to do all of the stalls everyday. On a regular basis, the stalls were so dirty they actually still smelled bad, the water buckets were grimy and the horses were often turned out too early out of convenience for the workers. Does it suck to do 30 stalls everyday? Yes. Does it suck to dump and fill 60 buckets everyday? Yes. Does it suck to have to be at the barn later on a 100 degree day so the horses aren't out in the worst of the heat? Yes. Do I feel like that is my problem when I pay for board? Hell no. Now maybe the OP was coming off as a bit harsh in some of her comments but I understand how angry it can make someone when they are paying a lot of money and not getting what they signed up for in return.