PDA

View Full Version : Back in parking with gooseneck trailer

ToTheNines
Apr. 25, 2011, 08:02 AM
Any tricks to backing into a trailer space nice and straight on the first try?

showidaho
Apr. 25, 2011, 08:36 AM
Always turn the opposite way as you would turn if backing up without the trailer. Also, the straighter you are before you back up, the better - smaller turns are better too. Practice, practice, practice. I have been hauling a large trailer for years and I'm finally competent. Our new parking arrangement (we just moved recently) is much less ideal than our old one. We used to have a huge lot and a circle drive, but now I have a VERY narrow driveway and I have to make a crazy sharp turn and then back in to park. I have done it in one smooth move, however, it usually takes me more than one try. My husband it just better at it and can parallel park that giant thing without batting an eye.

JB
Apr. 25, 2011, 08:38 AM
Practice practice practice.

The most common mistake I make is waiting too long to start turning the truck the other way, and the trailer is still turning. I rarely have an issue of not having turned enough LOL

coloredcowhorse
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
A BIG parking lot (WalMart, local fairgrounds, ball stadium etc) and several hours of practice. Get some cones and just practice a lot coming from different directions and angles. I got B class CDL several years ago and part of the test was "pole bending in reverse in a school bus"....took several hours of practice in the school bus barn parking area to get it down pat...use shadows and tire location in the mirrors to give you more clues of exactly where you are.

tabula rashah
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
Pratice! Really that's about it- oh and go slow and think about what you are doing- no reason to rush

Bluey
Apr. 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
#1 advice backing a gooseneck is to make little moves at the time, turn the steering wheel just a bit and move and see where you are going.

Big moves mean you may have to keep pulling up to straighten up.

Little moves and take your time, then it is just practice, practice, practice.:)

Belg
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
Breath. Relax. Let go your conscious self. Trust your feelings...

Belg
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:03 AM
Seriously though. A couple more-or less sucessful stabs will get you going in the right direction. It's all about practice. I've thought about taking ours to the home depot parking lot on a sunday... there's an area where NOONE parks because it's so far out. White lines are both a challenge and your friend. If it's convenient, use em :)

asb_own_me
Apr. 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
The longer the trailer, the bigger the turn you make sooner....then ease into "straight". If you're parking a long gooseneck, you can't wait too late to make that first turn.

baytraks
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
I put rubber mats under the trailer tires. Not only does it keep my tires from freezing to the ground in the winter, it gives me a nice target for backing and also for stopping before hitting the fence

As to backing, I tell our employees to think in angles when backing the feed cart and spreader. It is always an angle. Do not waste time thinking "it has to be straight," just keep creating small angles back and forth between the tow vehicle and the wagon or trailer. Then, as everyone else has already stated, practice, practice, practice.

Hope that helps!