PDA

View Full Version : HiTie type device

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
I've just seen a picture of one of these devices. I never liked the idea of tieing my horse to the trailer at a show and these look much safer. I'm not looking for an overnight tie just for day horse shows. Anyone like any particular type over another? Pros/cons? Thanks!

DistanceHorse
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
I just got two hi ties for the trailer. I had been using electric corrals for fencing while at endurance rides but after my horse crashed his twice and got loose I decided to try something new. BTW when he got loose, he was dragging the fence and posts at wharp speed through camp and hit me and fractured a bone in my leg.

My first attempt with the hi tie was a 50 percent sucess. One horse tied fine. I used a neck collar and a lead and attached it to the velcro piece and then to the clip. The other horse (the one that crashed the electic corral) wouldn't hi tie. Every time I put the neck collar on he would get tense then he would pull back and break the velcro. At the last ride I tried attaching the hi tie to his halter instead of the neck collar and he was perfect! No pulling back, no escaping even when a bunch of horses got loose in camp!

Painted Horse
Apr. 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
I've used the HiTies for years. Great product I like them better than the SpringTie because I don't have the noise of the spring popping at night as I try to sleep.

Heart's Journey
Apr. 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have the Tie Rite model from horse.com and am very happy with it. I had it installed several years ago and started using it this season. My horse is happy, can lay down at night, stays tied. I have bucket hangers also installed on both sides of the trailer, so I hang hay bags to the ties on the side of the trailer and hang a water bucket. Just change out the water bucket for grain when feeding, then change back to water afterwards.

I also use the electric fencing, but he does get loose sometimes, so I sleep much better at night using these. It can be set up in moments, so I've also used it on day rides as well. I like that its always with me and sets up so quickly.

I use a 5' bunge type cord to clip him to so he can lay down, but not get a lead rope tangled under his legs.

Make sure you get an aluminum one. They are well worth the cost.