PDA

View Full Version : Crazy snakes....already!!!

paintjumper
Apr. 21, 2011, 06:47 PM
I am in the south, so it's been hot already here..... for a month. I have seen more snakes this year than I saw all of last year. Today this one (Red Bellied Water Snake) decided I was not going to go into my house.........again!!! He is the same one ( I'm pretty sure he is the EXACT same one) that I fought with last year when he picked a fight with one of my dogs, and when I went to her rescue, he chased ME!!!! I slung him into the garage door with a broom and we both ran for the porch.
Today he was again in front of our garage, we threw water on him and pushed him around with the broom until he slithered under my husband's Expedition and crawled up into the under carriage of the car!!!!! Needless to say, we promptly took the car to the other side of the farm and left it there!!!

We took some cool pictures if someone wants to email me that can post here. gallianofarms@gmail.com

JSwan
Apr. 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
I think it's breeding season. March till May, I think?

He must be looking for love in all the wrong places.

paintjumper
Apr. 21, 2011, 07:49 PM
some more of them ;)

Beethoven
Apr. 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
ME too!! DARN SNAKES! I saw 4 in one day! Then another one the next day. I am not sure what one of them is but I think its a water snake of some sort. I don't think a cotton mouth, but not sure. I wasn't paying attention and next thing I know there is something on my foot that a kicked pretty far just by walking into it. I look up in time to see its a snake and I ran the other way. The others have been black racers and yellow rat snakes.

manentail
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
I was picking up sticks in my yard getting ready to mow for the first time this year, and two of the sticks slithered away from me just before I picked them up.

PRS
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:22 AM
2 weeks ago I removed a small black snake from my barn. Last weekend this little guy spooked my horse: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1567123073086&set=a.1567122193064.63416.1685723434&type=1 He looks really big in this picture put he could curl up on the top of a dvd with room to spare.
I saw another bigger one on the road yesterday. Yep, snakes are crawling.

paintjumper
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
That one curled up looks suspiciouly poisonous. Don't like the shape of his head. My guy is not poisonous but my snake guy said when they are threatened they will mimic a poisonous one by flattening out their head. It worked, scared me ;)

War Admiral
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:32 AM
Yep, they're all over the place here, too.

Have to brag about my baby greenie though: we were on our way to the jump field last weekend, where my trainer traditionally makes Quattro open the gate while she's mounted (she's a great sport and knows I have every intention of making the boy do Extreme Trail at some point). He absolutely would NOT go near that gate! He didn't spook or rear or bolt or run, he just PLANTED all four feet and waited calmly for the humans to figure out something was wrong.

Yep, there was a huge ol' snake curled up way deep in the grass about 14" away - 6 inches from where his front feet would have needed to go in order to be in gate-opening position.

When you get a GOOD Saddlebred, they really have awesome brains! :yes:

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
That one curled up looks suspiciouly poisonous. Don't like the shape of his head. My guy is not poisonous but my snake guy said when they are threatened they will mimic a poisonous one by flattening out their head. It worked, scared me ;)

Yeah, I'd bet that's some type of pit viper! Be careful!

CFFarm
Apr. 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
One of my dogs has killed 3 this week! Two in one day. They are on the move lookin' for love. Now, I like the snakes (rather have them than rats!) and try to leave them alone. I wish she wouldn't go hunting them. I'm afraid she'll come across a pigmy rattler one of these days. She needs to stick to hurting grass hoppers and grubs.

JustTrails
Apr. 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I'd bet that's some type of pit viper! Be careful!

I agree...and think I see a rattle on it's tail.

paintjumper
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
I see it, right next to his head. :( I don't like to kill things, but poisonous snakes are on my list of things that that I like better in Heaven! .......much better in Heaven. :)

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
I see it too. Definitely a "button" (baby's rattle) and a second rattle. (Not sure on the second one, but the button is good enough to identify him as a rattlesnake). And yes, they are poisonous from day one.
I'd hate to tell you to kill him, but definitely don't try to handle him. Maybe, if you have it in your heart to spend money on him, call an exterminator or critter handler who has a venomous permit and have him relocated.

PRS
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:07 PM

When I said he spooked my horse...it was because he rattled at us. Wasn't very loud but I did hear it, and I know Tavis certainly heard it. It is indeed poisonous. I believe it's a timber rattler. Note the tiny little rattle about 10:00 oclock. He wasn't on my property and was just hanging out on the edge of the woods. I did debate killing him but he wasn't hurting anyone where he was at and trying to dig him out of the vines might have gotten me bitten. I've decided to quit relocating my black snakes off the property and just drop them back in the woods where this little guy was. Black snakes eat rattle snakes.

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
Didn't know that about blacksnakes, but I do know that kingsnakes eat venomous snakes and emit an odor that venomous snakes are wary of. To the point that researchers are trying to replicate that chemical odor as a snake repellant!

PRS
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Didn't know that about blacksnakes, but I do know that kingsnakes eat venomous snakes and emit an odor that venomous snakes are wary of. To the point that researchers are trying to replicate that chemical odor as a snake repellant!

"Blacksnake" is apparently southern speak for Black King Snake ;) And they do have a musty odor when they are bothered.

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:36 PM
"Blacksnake" is apparently southern speak for Black King Snake ;)

Gotcha! (I was thinking black racer or indigo snake)

everafterfarm
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:39 PM
They are out here too. I saw 1 tiny cornsnake when I picked up my broom. There was also a tiny lizard there too, I think I cost him a meal! Sorry little guy! Also my black racer who likes to hangout around the manure pile was out the other day. He has been around for several years and he gives me a start every time I see him! I scold him, but to no avail! We always have big corn snakes around, but haven't seen any of them yet. Each year we seem to get a not so nice snake of some sort too, and if he's near the barn he has to die. I hate it, but I have to protect my horses first.

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
BTW PRS, your signature cracks me up, and rings true LOL! For me it's my Dad that I worry about if I should pass.

bizbachfan
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:47 PM
Be careful! My JRT is just getting back to normal after a bite from I think a pygmy rattler on Tuesday. Just thankful she is alive! Upsetting and costly.

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
And again, after seeing that rattlesnake pic, I will tell folks that there IS a rattlesnake venom "vaccine" for dogs. It doesn't replace antivenom, but it keeps the dog alive long enough to receive the antivenom.
I'm very glad that your JRT continues to recover, Bizbachfan.

bizbachfan
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
thanks Zarafia. If I ever decide to let her roam the farm again I would probably think about the vaccine.... but at this point she is not going to run free especially spring/summer/fall.

She is a tough one. Swelling way down today and finally drinking water from the bowl. (that was an issue while she wanted food right away)

Seems like everyone is saying there are extra snake activity this spring.

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
thanks Zarafia. If I ever decide to let her roam the farm again I would probably think about the vaccine.... but at this point she is not going to run free especially spring/summer/fall.

She is a tough one. Swelling way down today and finally drinking water from the bowl. (that was an issue while she wanted food right away)

Seems like everyone is saying there are extra snake activity this spring.

You are very welcome. I never would have thought such a thing possible, a venom vaccine. But that's what they call it.
I'm with you though, I'd rather keep my Maxwell in the house than worry about what dangers he might face outside of it.
I also have heard that there's a lot of early snake activity this year. We are going through certain climate changes (I'm not saying "global warming" so nobody jump on me! Things are changing though) and animals will act differently accordingly.

PRS
Apr. 22, 2011, 04:13 PM
BTW PRS, your signature cracks me up, and rings true LOL! For me it's my Dad that I worry about if I should pass.

LOL! I remember one time my daughter left a brand new pair of breeches in his chair with tags still attached. I thought he was going to have a stroke until I told him we got them off the half off rack! I'm not sure he believed me but we really did get them off the half off rack....that time;)

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 04:17 PM
LOL! I remember one time my daughter left a brand new pair of breeches in his chair with tags still attached. I thought he was going to have a stroke until I told him we got them off the half off rack! I'm not sure he believed me but we really did get them off the half off rack....that time;)

Somehow I instinctively knew that you meant that they cost WAY MORE than you had admitted to LMAO! (Maybe that instinct is because I've always done the same thing!)

paintjumper
Apr. 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
I asked my vet last week about that, it doesn't work for all of our poisonous snakes but I'm doing it any way. Just $20/each. Not as bad as I was thinking it might be.

Zarafia
Apr. 22, 2011, 04:46 PM
I asked my vet last week about that, it doesn't work for all of our poisonous snakes but I'm doing it any way. Just $20/each. Not as bad as I was thinking it might be.

That's cheaper than I thought it was. Well worth it for dogs you love who may encounter rattlesnakes IMHO.
I'm very glad that you asked about it and got the info from the horse's mouth so to speak.

bizbachfan
Apr. 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
I think its a good idea (the vaccine) for anyone who lets their dogs roam. It was pure luck that I happened to be walking by the woods right when my dog got into the tango with the snake, (judging the barks) and scooped her right up and headed to the vet. Normally she can roam for quite a while and if I was busy riding I may not have heard her and it could have been much longer before the anti venom was administered.

Thank God!

Watch out those who insist on wearing flip flops to the barn,,,, the pygmy rattlers blend in very easily and we have had them hanging out in our arena under jumps, etc. Pretty easy to bite a toe with flip flops on.

Beethoven
Apr. 23, 2011, 01:35 PM
They are out here too. I saw 1 tiny cornsnake when I picked up my broom. There was also a tiny lizard there too, I think I cost him a meal! Sorry little guy! Also my black racer who likes to hangout around the manure pile was out the other day. He has been around for several years and he gives me a start every time I see him! I scold him, but to no avail! We always have big corn snakes around, but haven't seen any of them yet. Each year we seem to get a not so nice snake of some sort too, and if he's near the barn he has to die. I hate it, but I have to protect my horses first.

Yes! I also have a Black racer that I call Mr. Black Snake. He and I are cool after 2 years of scaring the crap out of each other!

I got his picture recently! I know its "Mr. Black Snake" because of his size and the fact he doesn't go careening off when he sees me now. We have other black racers here, but they are still scared of me.

Meet Mr. Black Snake:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/JLM179/IMG_4635.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/JLM179/IMG_4634.jpg

He was hanging out outside my back feed room door and I have to shoo him away because I need to close the door and his tail would of gotten smashed.

bird4416
Apr. 23, 2011, 04:27 PM
I saw this guy while out on the trail today. I think its a corn snake.

Zarafia
Apr. 23, 2011, 04:38 PM

Yes, I would say that's a corn snake.

JustTrails
Apr. 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
Are rattlesnake aversion clinics available in your areas? A friend of mine puts them on out here in So. Calif. I've handled quite a few dogs through the course, which is shed skins, for the scent, sound (recorded) of a snake rattling, then exposure to a live snake. The live snake has it's mouth taped shut. Correction collars are used. It has been highly effective in keeping dogs away from rattlers.

Bizbach, hope your little buddy keeps improving!

dalpal
Apr. 23, 2011, 06:52 PM
Yep....my hike through the woods with the dogs ended last week....when my golden mix was drinking out of the creek and I saw a serpent head launching through the air at her.

Don't know if it was a water snake or moccassin. I hear we don't have mocassins here and then others say we do (Wake Forest area, NC). But not willing to risk it. It was pissed whatever it was.

Zu Zu
Apr. 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Said it before and saying it now

I HATE :mad: snakes ............:eek:

birdsong
Apr. 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
I was distracted and turned for the front door when I saw something odd out of the corner of my eye. I bent over to examine it (very closely) and it was a large, black colored ssssssnake laying right near Mr Doorway frog...about to have a snack. I kicked at him before I even thought about it. He sssssslithered away Sssssaw him again about 15 minutes later passssssing by the other end of the house.

Moccasin likely!

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1567123073086&set=a.1567122193064.63416.1685723434&type=1

He's a canebrake rattlesnake.
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/crohor.htm

Please familiarize yourself with what your local VENOMOUS snakes look like. There is no distinguishing factor that will separate venomous from non venomous.
Snakes are an important part of our ecosystem, and do play a positive role in your barns, BUT you need to know what snakes to ask to buggar off, and what snakes you should not get close to to ask them to leave.

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 23, 2011, 10:09 PM
Yep, GA native. Another one that looks similar to a corn snake (and sadly gets mistaken for a copperhead :mad:) is the mole king (http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/jd/jdweb/Herps/species/USsnakes/Lamcalrho.htm) but they are significantly smaller

Bluey
Apr. 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
I was distracted and turned for the front door when I saw something odd out of the corner of my eye. I bent over to examine it (very closely) and it was a large, black colored ssssssnake laying right near Mr Doorway frog...about to have a snack. I kicked at him before I even thought about it. He sssssslithered away Sssssaw him again about 15 minutes later passssssing by the other end of the house.

Moccasin likely!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Horses2-20-07983.jpg?t=1303612488

PRS
Apr. 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
He's a canebrake rattlesnake.
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/crohor.htm

Please familiarize yourself with what your local VENOMOUS snakes look like. There is no distinguishing factor that will separate venomous from non venomous.
Snakes are an important part of our ecosystem, and do play a positive role in your barns, BUT you need to know what snakes to ask to buggar off, and what snakes you should not get close to to ask them to leave.

Yes, technically he's a canebrake rattle snake....both timber rattlers and canebrake rattlers are subspecies of the same snake - common names that are sometimes used interchangably in my area. And since the juveniles of both subspecies look identical (and this is a juvenile) I chose to name him a timber rattler on this forum because it is a more commonly used name that folks would recognise and, seriously, makes absolutely no difference to his capacity for invenomating me. I AM familiar with snakes and rarely kill one unless it is venomous and on my own property. Unlike most folks I don't have an automatic aversion to snakes and can usually tell which ones are venomous. And yes, there ARE some distinguishing characteristics for some pit vipers. If I'm ever not sure, I steer clear.

PRS
Apr. 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Horses2-20-07983.jpg?t=1303612488

Awwww...that looks like a little 'ol harmless, to humans, garter snake.

Zarafia
Apr. 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
Not to freak anybody out more about snakes, but folks in FL need to be aware of more than just native snakes.
People have been releasing non-native snakes here for a while and in the southern part of the state they do very well in the wild, too well. I remember about 15 years ago we caught a Haitian boa in a nestbox where it had killed and eaten two of our breeder parrots. The aviary I worked for had a pet store so it was easily recognized by my boss.
I think that most of the released snakes are probably constrictors of one type or another but no doubt some non-native venomous snakes have been let loose here too. Get to know the look of the head of a pit-viper, that is somewhat universal (though I believe that there are snakes that are exceptions).
Of course if you know your native snakes very well then you will know if something doesn't fit the bill and is likely non-native. Pythons and boas are not venomous, but can be very destructive to native wildlife.

Bluey
Apr. 27, 2011, 02:58 PM
Awwww...that looks like a little 'ol harmless, to humans, garter snake.

A very ambitious one, you can see.;)

PRS
Apr. 27, 2011, 04:12 PM
A very ambitious one, you can see.;)

LOL! I wonder if he got it down?

mand_asbfan
Apr. 27, 2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you for reminding about the one perk of living in the frozen tundra.... :D

Gloria
Apr. 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
This thread reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMigVo1pyA

Be warned. There are a lot of snakes here.

This dude came into a this pen packed with napping cobras, armed with shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops.

He then picked those babies one by one with his bare hand nonchatantly by their bellies, and just tossed them behind him like tossing a sock to a drawer. One was very surprised to see him there; it reared up, hissed at him but, he just grinned at it, picked it up, spoon and all, and then tossed it.

By the time he finally tossed them all out of his way and proceeded to sweep the pen (he did have a broom with him - but alas it was to sweep the pen not to fight off the cobras), all of them were awake, and they were all around him rearing, staring, hissing, looking all bewildered, confused, and embarassed.

I feel so ashamed at my squeemish after watching this guy:cool:

I also wonder what the deal is with Hollywood: all the cobras in movies look really scary.