PDA

View Full Version : what are the chances my horses will eat weeds in hay?

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
So I went and bought my weed sprayer and all the stuff to go with it, got ready to spray and the *#@?! Pressure gauge broke. Well then. It will be another week or so till the replacement one is in. My hay is ready to be cut, pretty much now. I suddenly have a fair amount of buttercups (grr!). I know they are poisonous but I also know they won't eat them in the field. Do you think they will eat them in hay? After it gets cut I am putting down nitrogen then pasture pro to get rid of all the weeds (I hope) so I have a great second cutting. I'm just bummed and concerned about the presence of weeds in this cutting.

msj
Apr. 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure about the buttercup issue and will be glad to see some responses but the hay farmer I used to get my hay from had been steadily letting the fields go. As a result the hay had more and more weeds. My horses wouldn't eat them. I switched hay dealers for 2 yrs and had beautiful hay. My original hay farmer got pissed and he did more for me than hay so I talked to him about the weeds and he promised better hay. Gave him one last chance and it was worse than before. :( :(

He doesn't do ANY work for me anymore. :no:

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Good. I don't want them to eat the weeds. There are not a lot really, I jkust want none! There will probably be one flake per bale with weeds in it I think.

horsepoor
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Some weeds that are not palatable when fresh and growing become tasty once cut and dried. That's the problem with tansy. This summer, I got a load of hay that turned out to have a bunch of nightshade in it. While my horses didn't seem to be eating it (that's when I noticed, they left something uneaten -- which is remarkable), I wasn't taking any chances and stopped using it. Fortunately the grower took it back. How much area and buttercups are you talking about? I get a little here and just pull rather than spray, but I have a pretty small area to cover.