PDA

View Full Version : Blood Horse reporting the passing of Jess Jackson.

War Admiral
Apr. 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
The Blood Horse is tweeting that Mr. Jess Jackson has passed away. :cry: Stated will have story on website soon.

ETA link.
(http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62616/owner-jess-jackson-dies-at-age-81)

Godspeed.

Lamb Chop
Apr. 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
Aw. I didn't agree with some of his decisions, but he did infuse some good money into the racing industry and was an enthusiastic owner.

clh
Apr. 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
Mr. Jackson was a very good advocate for the sport in my opinion. He brought a lot of money into the business and cared about the industry. He will be missed. My condolences go out o his family, his business family and his other friends.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 21, 2011, 01:12 PM
Aw. I didn't agree with some of his decisions, but he did infuse some good money into the racing industry and was an enthusiastic owner.

I couldn't have said it better myself. As noted on the Derby thread he wasn't in good health as of late and had already transferred all of his ownership in KJ Wineries to his family last year.

It's a shame he didn't get to see if his Maclean's Music (named for Jackson's grandson) is as great as he looked in his debut. Then again Jackson had so many wonderful afternoon winners that it was a pretty damn good life.

hitchinmygetalong
Apr. 21, 2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/2011/04/21/1715282/horse-owner-winemaker-jess-jackson.html

I never knew his middle name was Stonestreet!

He sure did stir the pot, but he knew a good horse and had the deep pockets to get what he wanted and on his own terms. It's a shame he won't be around to see Rachel's first baby.

Condolences to his family and friends. Ride on, Mr. Jackson. You lived life to the fullest. We should all be half as lucky.

ottb_dressage
Apr. 21, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm with many of you...while I may not have always agreed with his decisions, I think he really did help the sport and it is a shame he wont be around to see Rachel and Curlin's first baby.
Godspeed Mr. Jackson...your love for racing will be missed.

danceronice
Apr. 21, 2011, 05:35 PM
As said, I didn't always like his decisions, but the world needs more devoted racing owners, not fewer. R.I.P., sir.

tradewind
Apr. 21, 2011, 06:02 PM
A loss for a sport in need of strong advocates such as himself. RIP Mr. Jackson. Wishing his family and friends strength and peace at this difficult time

cloudyandcallie
Apr. 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
Buying Rachel and running her in the Preakness helped the sport immensely. He believed in the filly.

Rubyfree
Apr. 21, 2011, 06:48 PM
Another who who didn't always agree with his decisions or methodology but truly appreciated his passion for the sport and his conviction in his beliefs. Of course the numbers are against this, but I hope RA & Curlin's first foal barnstorms in his honor. Godspeed Mr. Jackson and my condolences to his family and loved ones.

vineyridge
Apr. 21, 2011, 07:11 PM
One hopes that some of his family have imbibed his passion for horseracing and keep things going.

He was an outspoken advocate for horse racing, and, as such, will be sorely missed by who love the sport.

DLee
Apr. 21, 2011, 08:23 PM
So very sad to hear this today. :(

Lynnwood
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
very sad . What will happen to his horses especially Curlin and Rachel A.

laserRob
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear Mr. Jackson has passed.

Condolences to family and friends.

CVPeg
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
Condolences to the Jackson family. Thought he did quite a bit for racing - always appreciated his racing Curlin during his 4yo year, and his campaign for Rachel as well. He certainly did enjoy the sport.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 22, 2011, 11:10 AM
As an observation I find it somewhat interesting that several papers and media outlets - The Wall Street Journal, for example (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703983704576276983895999442.html) - cite his horse racing above all else.

Not so much that he created a billion dollar plus fortune vis-a-vis his Kendall-Jackson winery which is "credited with helping to popularize the California grape". No rather it's that he campaigned and owned HOY Curlin and HOY Rachel Alexandra which ultimately is what actually made him happy.

As for racing I don't believe his five kids are involved nor will be. However his wife - Barbara Banke - does have her own racing stable ["Grace Stable"] with runners like Hot Dixie Chick. Her twitter account hasn't been updated in quite some time. (http://twitter.com/#!/barbanke). My guess is she'll fold her stable into Stonestreet and continue the stable colors unlike Edward P. Evans.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 22, 2011, 05:04 PM
I never knew his middle name was Stonestreet!

And for the trivia folks - the "Kendall" part of the winery name was from his first wife: Jane Kendall.

VirginiaBred
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:34 PM
And for the trivia folks - the "Kendall" part of the winery name was from his first wife: Jane Kendall.

Now I never knew that.

ivy62
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
RIP Jess Jackson.....

Hopefully, his wife will continue on like Lucille Markey did.. He was great for racing. The type of owner we long to see....Breed to race not always sell.....

I, too, did not always agree with his decisions but he was a clear advocate for his horses and the sport in which he loved...

Ride on Jess Jackson