PDA

View Full Version : What gets the algae off my trailer!!!

everafterfarm
Apr. 20, 2011, 10:22 PM
Have hubby's detail people coming to the farm to clean and detail my truck and trailer. This is the first time my trailer is getting a real cleaning on the outside. What the heck will clean off the algae and the black streaks without hurting the trailer that can be done at home? Yep, trailer is aluminum.

MistyBlue
Apr. 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
Bleach or vinegar both kill algae and remove it from surfaces.

horsepoor
Apr. 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
Bleach is what I've always used. Wearing clothing that I don't mind splotches on!

chemteach
Apr. 21, 2011, 05:35 AM
Bleach is what I've always used. Wearing clothing that I don't mind splotches on!

Same here.

Guilherme
Apr. 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
A pressure washer will clean off algae very nicely. Black streaks? Sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no."

G.

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 21, 2011, 08:22 AM
Marine and camping stores sell a product specifically for taking off the black stuff. I don't remember what it is called but my dad had a couple of gallons of it back in the days of the Infamous RV.

Protectall has a good article (http://www.protectall.com/artbs.aspx) on how to prevent as well as remove Black Streaks. Of course, they recommend their products but the advice is good.

Here are a couple alternative products:

Bio-Kleen (http://www.biokleen.com/rv-cleaning)

Duragloss Marine & RV cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/black-streak-eliminator--581.html)

StreakMaster (http://www.streakmaster.com/)

I'm sure there are many more in addition to soap, bleach and manpower. :)

ponygirl
Apr. 21, 2011, 08:37 AM
I have some stuff at home that works wonderfully for black streaks. Also works well for algae. I'll look at the container tonight and will report back.

I have been meaning to also try the "magic eraser" as I was told it works well on black streaks.

JB
Apr. 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
Black Streak Remover. Yes, that's what it's called :lol:

Romany
Apr. 21, 2011, 12:56 PM
Go easy on the pressure-washer - they also make excellent paint-strippers!

Guilherme
Apr. 21, 2011, 02:29 PM
Go easy on the pressure-washer - they also make excellent paint-strippers!

Indeed. :)

G.

everafterfarm
Apr. 21, 2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I always have lots of vinegar around since I use it to clean the algae out of my water troughs. Wow, I can't believe I just wrote that and didn't figure out on my own to try using it on the trailer!! I am very sleep deprived right now from 2 maidens about to foal!!!

the_other_mother
Apr. 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
We use Simple Green. Works!

OnePerfectRide
Apr. 22, 2011, 01:28 AM
What about rust streaks?

AnotherRound
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:57 AM
I use clorox cleanup - if its metal - a fiberglass boat or trailer will not clean up as well with bleach as it would oxyalic acid - you can get it at Marine stores, for boats. Its the cleaner in Bartender's Friend which is the only ting which works on real porcelin, also, by the way - the rust stains on porceline. Usually I go over it once with CCleanup then rinse really well (don't mix) a liquid pump sprayer of Oxyalic Acid - it will be pure after that.

For any rust stains on metal Use Bartender's or Barkeeper's Friend (in a cleanser can, like Comet, but DON"T use comet, or Zud, ONLY Barkeeper's friend)

mvp
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:02 PM
If I'm going to get my aluminumer acid washed, do I need to address algae and black streaks first? Or will *acid* do all the work for me....like it sounds?

I'm planning to detail the snot out of my trailer, turning back its clock to the very beginning.

Valentina_32926
Apr. 27, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have found that using a vinegar rinse impeeds the re-growth of mildew in boats and on horse trailers, so once clean you might want to do a fine mist of vinegar and water to keep it looking nice for a while.

Trevelyan96
Apr. 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
We use Simple Green. Works!

Ditto the simple green. When my trailer went in for maintenance last year the guy (who is the BEST) washed my trailer and it looks fantastic. He said he uses simple green.

I also used a spray-on marine wax and the trailer still looks bright and shiny 9 months later.