PDA

View Full Version : Chicken mauled by dog--two weeks later! (update)

deltawave
Apr. 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
One of my chickies had a close encounter with a Weimaraner yesterday. :( She is pretty torn up--deep bite/lacerations across her back, down into the muscle. She is walking, even eating a little bit, but obviously pretty uncomfortable. Almost no bleeding and as near as I can tell the wounds are very clean. I've put some Wonder Dust on them. The other hens aren't bothering her.

Any hope at all for her, or should I just plan to take her and have her euthanized?

GoForAGallop
Apr. 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
I would probably give her some vita-drip to boost her system up a little bit, and keep an eye on her. I'd almost be inclined to toss her in a dog crate and bring her into the warm house for a while too, nurse her back to health with lots of goodies. Chickens are very resilient, but you want to make sure that she's getting enough nutrients into her. The vita-drip will help with that, and make her yummy things like oatmeal with raisins that will get both liquid and food into her.

Poor girl! I've never been a huge chicken fan but that's just because their talons creep me out a bit....they are entertaining birds when they don't belong to me!

Zarafia
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
There is hope!
I've seen chickens torn up pretty bad by dogs that have made it. Good luck!

RacetrackReject
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have had a turkey that was attacked by coyotes live and a buff orp who was attacked by a fox live. It seems like the important thing was to keep the other chickens from pecking it and to keep them warm. Blue kote or something like that will deter the other chickens from pecking I believe.

With the turkey, we sprayed some purple colored stuff on him, but it was years ago, so I don't remember what it was. For the buff, I used a tea tree oil product that came in a spray.

SGray
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:31 PM
had a hen escape from a varmit -- big chunk missing from her back -- I put antibiotic salve on it, wrapped it and isolated her in a dog crate until healed (had a rooster at the time and his mounting her is what brought it to my attention as she was trying so hard to get away from him)

she healed up fine and was then returned to flock

betsyk
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
Major lunchtime smile at the idea of your chicken in a dog crate in your kitchen, eating oatmeal with raisins along with your son in the morning before school!

deltawave
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:33 PM
I'm thinking Alu-Film as the next step. She freaked when I took her out of the pen and away from her flock, so am not sure if she'd do better or worse separated. Thankfully the other hens are not pestering her.

I almost feel worse for my poor neighbor whose dog did the deed. She's so upset, poor lady. Not her fault, nor the dog's--I usually don't let them out in the morning around when she walks her dogs down our drive, but I did yesterday. :sigh:

deckchick
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:39 PM
Chickens are mean, and if/when they do decide to start pecking at it, it may be too late for you to do anything. Anytime one of my chickens are injured I put them in the "hospital", my big dog crate in the garage. When the sun shines I open the door so they can enjoy the weather.

They are awesome critters, but Holy Cow! they pick on a weaker one fast...

JSwan
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:57 PM
I saved a chicken from a fox but she was pretty torn up. Fox had snatched her bald, and left some lacerations. There is no way to bandage a chickens ass. So I cleaned the wounds with betadine and sprayed her with alu film.

The alufilm kept flies off the wounds, and though she walked around with a silver ass until her feathers started to grow back, the other hens left her alone.

I'd try the alufilm. It worked for her.

Hope she makes it. Good luck

hundredacres
Apr. 20, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'd cage her until she heals. I had a guinea attacked by a horse (it was in her stall - poor thing)...he survived and I didn't expect it to. I gave him a couple shots of Pen G and treated the topical woulds with triple anti-biotic and kept him caged until he healed. He's still alive and kicking at 11 years old :).

2DogsFarm
Apr. 20, 2011, 03:02 PM
Chickens are pretty good healers.
Try searching this forum on BYC for some treatment ideas:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=10

Here's hoping your girl makes a full recovery :yes:

AppJumpr08
Apr. 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
I had a hen who was grabbed by something (fox or hawk, never was quite sure) - it peeled the skin right off her back. I sprayed her with blue kote, kept her in a crate in the tack room where it was warm, and she healed up just fine.

tasia
Apr. 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
There is hope!
I've seen chickens torn up pretty bad by dogs that have made it. Good luck!

This:yes: I had one that had a close encounter with a boxer. She was a mess, no tail feathers, bloody. We cleaned her with betadine and put her in the coop till the next day. It took some time but feathers grew back and she was fine. Good luck with yours.

hundredacres
Apr. 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
I saved a chicken from a fox but she was pretty torn up. Fox had snatched her bald, and left some lacerations. There is no way to bandage a chickens ass. So I cleaned the wounds with betadine and sprayed her with alu film.

The alufilm kept flies off the wounds, and though she walked around with a silver ass until her feathers started to grow back, the other hens left her alone.

Thanks again JS...love your visuals and way with words
:) (I laughed out loud at work)

kinnip
Apr. 20, 2011, 05:00 PM
Keep her in a dark place and she'll stay pretty calm. I would go ahead and give her Poly-vi-Sol without the iron. Three drops twice a day should do it. When mine get hurt that badly, I go ahead and start them on 1/4-1/2 cc, depending on size, of Penn-G, administered IM once every other day for four days. Make sure you have a 1/2" needle and don't hit a vein or the crop. The left breast is the easiest place. She may surprise you. They're pretty darn hardy.

Equino
Apr. 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
I had a chicken mauled by a raccoon and we brought her into the vet. Unfortunately, after being on a feeding tube for a couple of days, she refused to eat and we had to have her euthanized. But she was pretty chewed up.

At the vet where I now work, we had a chicken brought in recently that had been attacked by a dog and they cleaned her up and gave her a week's worth of antibiotics (baytril and metronizadole), and advised the owner to keep her separate from the rest of the chickens in case they bothered her. And they had them employ the clean and dry wound treatment-clean with betadine or peroxide.

Zu Zu
Apr. 20, 2011, 08:57 PM
Jingles she eats and regains her health ~ AO

deltawave
Apr. 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
She's currently huddled solo in the corner of the barn in a deep bed of hay with the heat lamp on and food and water (with vitamins) within easy reach. Not moving around much, but bright eyed and clucking, so we'll see. Thanks for all the stories and advice. :)

allpurpose
Apr. 20, 2011, 09:42 PM
Jingles for the wonder dusted chicken! Here's hoping oatmeal with raisins puts everything right again!

jetsmom
Apr. 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

deltawave
Apr. 21, 2011, 09:00 PM
An update, now 2.5 days post-mauling. The hen is, remarkably, doing pretty OK. She doesn't want to move around much and seems content to lie still all the time, but she's bright, her wattles are red, she clucks and looks around, and when I changed her water today and sprayed her with Alu-Film (she was PISSED) she stood around for a while before settling down and pooped about 20 times. I guess she was holding it. :D She's eating some, not much interested in anything special.

The wounds look absolutely God-awful in terms of depth and severity, but no pus, no smell, no weeping. They are a nice, shiny silver color. :lol:

Amazingly tough little hen, she is.

Catersun
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:12 PM
glad to hear she is holding her own :)

kinnip
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:32 PM
They are truly remarkable critters. Has she been laying?

ReeseTheBeast
Apr. 22, 2011, 07:26 AM
Major lunchtime smile at the idea of your chicken in a dog crate in your kitchen, eating oatmeal with raisins along with your son in the morning before school!

:lol: love it!

deltawave
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
The four of them are laying about one egg a day between them, the slackers. She hasn't laid any since the "incident" but she's doing no worse than the healthy ones! They were sort of "one year wonders" for laying, I guess.

kinnip
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:50 AM
The four of them are laying about one egg a day between them, the slackers. She hasn't laid any since the "incident" but she's doing no worse than the healthy ones! They were sort of "one year wonders" for laying, I guess.

1 year?!! Are they production birds? Most heritage breeds peak at two years. You oughta go shake an axe at 'em. That'll scare the eggs out them lazy biddies. :lol:
I'd make sure the injured girl has plenty of oyster shell anyway. I've had a couple injured/stressed girls get egg bound-- not fun.

deltawave
Apr. 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
Theyr'e Buff Orpingtons--ought to be egg laying machines! They laid like crazy from September of their birth year (born in April), straight through until December of their second year. Now they're giving me one measly egg a day.

This is their last year, regardless--I'll have them humanely dispatched this fall to make room for new chicks next spring. But being half-eaten by a dog is not what I had in mind. :sigh:

tasia
Apr. 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Glad your girl is doing well. Maybe egg production will increase with the warmer weather. I know mine slow down during the winter and by summer my eggs runneth over.

deltawave
Apr. 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
Another update--the danged hen was up and walking this morning, hardly limping at all. What amazing recuperative powers they have! I decided to try and put her in with the others--epic fail. One of the other hens (they have all lived in a group since hatching) tried to kill her. Not pecking, but a rooster-like attack, claws first. Sheesh! Back into her hay pile.

So now what? Will they accept a flock mate back, eventually? Or do I now have a somewhat gnawed pet chicken? :lol: Maybe the neighbor whose dog half ate her needs a pet chicken . . .

JSwan
Apr. 23, 2011, 11:02 AM
Try reintroducing her at night, when they are all roosting. Thats how I introduce new chickens, or reintroduce them.

deltawave
Apr. 23, 2011, 11:04 AM
Buena idea, thanks!

deltawave
May. 3, 2011, 06:22 PM
The danged chicken is going to make it. :lol:

She just got brighter and stronger every day, and over the weekend I let her start roaming around near the barn again, with the other hens. She's sort of in "lone wolf" status, and the other hens are not altogether thrilled with her, but minimal bullying now and she even laid into one of the healthy ones a time or two! Jeez, what a bitchy bunch of animals. :D

So she's roosting with them now and I'm letting them out during the day, and she still keeps to herself mostly but scratches and forages and seems only a little "off" when she tries to run. Half of the skin on her back is gone, but the other half--which was all torn loose--has stuck itself back down and is growing pinfeathers already. The Alu-Film is BRILLIANT, although this was already a known fact in my experience. :)

Of course none of them is laying still, although I'm giving them ONE more month since it's been quite cold. :mad: Dumb clucks. But very, very resilient ones. :)

tasia
May. 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
I'm glad your hen is doing better:) I hope for their sakes they start putting out for you:D

hundredacres
May. 3, 2011, 07:13 PM
LOL...it's a funny story anyway and I'm glad she's getting back to normal :).
We had a banty whose tail was nipped by "something" when she was a youngster, and it never grew back. We always felt so bad for her being different so she's stayed around....she's 8 years old now :). It's kind of fun to keep a pet hen with no tail. People always ask, "what is that?" since she's tiny, brown and sort of quail-like :).

JSwan
May. 3, 2011, 07:19 PM
It's cold????? In MAY????

Holy Moly.

I'm glad she's doing better. Did you reintroduce her at night and it didn't work out - or did you try something different that worked well? Do tell - I occasionally have chickens in the infirmary too.

I don't know what it is about chickens; they look so peaceful but they are, in truth, little velociraptors.

I love that AluFilm. I've used it on a boar's testicles (after being castrated), and I've also used it on an Eastern Box Turtle with a boo boo.

deckchick
May. 3, 2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah! Go Henny Penny!

My chickens love it when I move the straw bales and mice come out. Forget the cats, for real mice control you just need a couple of chickens!

Daydream Believer
May. 3, 2011, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear she'll be OK. I love a good hen. It's pretty normal for hens to fall off dramatically in laying after year two. Most commercial laying hen operations will not keep them past 18 months. Some of the pasture growers I know will keep the old hens around for a while as they usually lay nice jumbo or double yolk eggs.

I have some buff orps and they can get seriously broody. My White rocks are laying machines and the Wyandottes are very reliable also. My Wellsummers started laying and they are doing quite well also.

AppJumpr08
May. 3, 2011, 08:25 PM
Are you sure they aren't laying someplace other than their nest boxes? Mine are currently finding new places to nest every day, and since they are free range, it's a serious egg hunt around here!

So glad to hear your hen is getting back to normal!!

kinnip
May. 3, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm so glad she's o.k. They really are amazing healers. I had a not so domesticated turkey hen lose a truly significant amount of skin in a coon attack. It was flapping loose and I thought she was a goner for sure, but it healed and she's currently sitting on a clutch of chicken eggs in the goat barn.

MunchkinsMom
May. 4, 2011, 12:15 AM
The danged chicken is going to make it. :lol:

Unlike the one that got stuck in the self cleaning oven :winkgrin:

Glad to hear that she is getting better.

2DogsFarm
May. 4, 2011, 04:19 PM
{shaking head in amazement}
They really do heal well, don't they?

And Jswan nailed it:
They are little tyrannosaurs in feathery coats.
I sincerely hope I never fall down and knock myself out in the coop.
I'd probably come to with them perched on my back tearing chunks of tasty flesh out...

DW:
You are a harder heart than me.
Sucker that I am, my Flock of 7 will have a home with me until they are too old to make a decent soup.
That is, of course, unless Teen Rooster doesn't settle down - he may end up Coq Au Vin!

On Topic:
Said rooster is getting a little hard on 2 of my hens. One has feathers broken off her back down to the skin and another has a wee bald spot on her head where he's "kissed" her.
Do you think Alufilm would keep him off them & let them heal?
I am considering a Chicken Saddle for the bareback hen.

deltawave
May. 4, 2011, 05:58 PM
JSwan, my fancy-pants "method" of reintroducing the hen was to just let her out about 50 feet away from the other hens during the day. They went one way, she went the other, but eventually they were all sharing the same space more or less peacefully. When confined to their run (10 x 8 feet with a coop) they are not quite as benevolent. But when there's poop to scratch through and grass to eat, mayhem is not as high on their agenda. :)

She's still lying down a lot and keeping to herself more or less, but the new feathers are growing fast and she snarfed down her share of raw hamburger last night just like the others.

2Dogs, I dunno if the Alu-Film would repel a rooster. (unless, perhaps, you tell them the story about JSwan's boar testicles!) :eek: :lol: The other hens seemed to find the silver patch on her back sort of interesting. That, or they were after the bloody mess underneath. :dead: Maybe the put-upon hen needs a little hen helmet? :D

JSwan
May. 4, 2011, 06:13 PM
Oh - what an excellent idea! Glad that worked out. Saving that method for future reference.

The only thing that will repel a rooster is a tennis racket.:winkgrin:

The reason I used it on the pigs balls is because I wanted to keep the area clean and not have flies laying eggs in the wound. It really did work well. I guess Swat could have worked too - but it would have been a gooey dirty mess.

I don't dare fall down among my chickens, either. They've got that whole Jurassic Park thing going on. They're just a teeny bit creepy.:lol:

Daydream Believer
May. 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
I don't dare fall down among my chickens, either. They've got that whole Jurassic Park thing going on. They're just a teeny bit creepy.:lol:

That's no joke. The minute one hen shows weakness in my older flock, the hens just pounce on them and attack. I have no doubt that if I ever passed out in there, they'd peck me!

deltawave
May. 5, 2011, 06:58 AM
They are creepy that way. :lol:

Only time I was ever pecked was when I had a big bruise on my calf last summer. They all pounced and started pecking at the bruise, like "here's a weak spot, everyone get her!" :lol:

kinnip
May. 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
I like to watch my SO walk around in the run in shorts. They think those hairs on his legs are the best snack ever.

2DogsFarm
May. 5, 2011, 10:24 AM
I like to watch my SO walk around in the run in shorts. They think those hairs on his legs are the best snack ever.
:lol:

note to self:
shave legs before wearing shorts in coop

DW: "hen helmet" :lol:
I almost resorted to something like that last Winter.
BoredBoredBored hens pecked the crested Houdan hen bald. Blu-Kote did nothing to stop them.
Fortunately she regrew her crest as soon as they could get out and find something more entertaining.
Now she's the one with the missing back feathers.
Sigh...I swore I wouldn't turn into one of "those" Chickenfolk, but she may need a saddle.
Chicken clothes :no:

kinnip
May. 5, 2011, 09:13 PM
I tried saddles. They littered the run like discarded prom dresses.

Nootka
May. 6, 2011, 12:07 AM

LMFAOOOOO:lol::lol:

2DogsFarm
May. 6, 2011, 06:34 AM

:lol:
I dunno...worth a try at $3 per saddle
& on BYC someone is selling a pink camo one with skull & crossbones...