PDA

View Full Version : Trex (or similar) for horse fencing????

ladybugred
Apr. 19, 2011, 05:18 PM
Has anyone tried this?? Is it doable??

I was walking my dog at the park, and saw some horse fencing that was a Trex-y colour, sort of caramel, that's what made me think of it. The fence was real wood, but it made me wonder if Trex could be used.

The look of wood, the maintainance of vinyl was my thought.

TIA

LBR

NaniLio
Apr. 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
Yes, it's doable but can be cost prohibitive dependent on the size of the area you plan on fencing. We just used Trex boards to do the floor of the pergola by our arena and I believe we paid $35/12' board. But it sure did have me wishing we could use it for all of the pastures!!

ladybugred
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:16 PM
Would it last longer, making it a bit less cost prohibitive?

LBR

Plumcreek
Apr. 20, 2011, 12:42 AM
It is called HDPE fencing.

Many sources, here is one: http://www.derbyfence.com/horsefenceproducts.html

NaniLio
Apr. 20, 2011, 10:24 AM
I've seen high end farms fenced with HDPE. It's beautiful! I've always assumed it was out of our price range given the amount of fencing we have.

Plumcreek- Do you know roughly what it costs per foot for the three rail?

Ladybugred- As far as the Trex, yes it's marketed as being maintenance free. It doesn't warp, splinter, or fade which is a huge plus.

ladybugred
Apr. 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
I've been doing some research on the Trex since posting. It seems while it may be marketed as no fade, no warp, no splinter, and maintainance free, it isn't all its cracked up to be.

The Trex seems to fade quickly as well as scratching and staining easily.

I'm going to look into the HDPE, thanx

LBR

Plumcreek
Apr. 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
I've seen high end farms fenced with HDPE. It's beautiful! I've always assumed it was out of our price range given the amount of fencing we have.

Plumcreek- Do you know roughly what it costs per foot for the three rail?

$$$$, but you only cry once, as it lasts forever.

Trex would be equivalent in price to the fly ash Life Time Lumber, $30+ per 16' board. Both can break. If I am going to spend that money, I would do the HDPE.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 20, 2011, 02:17 PM
Trex would not be ideal because it flexes way too much and is a pretty soft material in general which is one reason why it's great for decks.

There was a company that did have a fencing product that had a similar appearance, but made out of stiffer material. I think it was called EQ"something". It's been a few years since I dealt with that stuff, so my memory could be off.