PDA

View Full Version : Summer work clothes

vineyridge
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:33 PM
What do you folks recommend?

I hate t shirts--or any knits-- because they cling, and jeans are generally too heavy to be comfortable in heat. I prefer lightwear cotton fabric in light colors.

Luckydonkey
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:38 PM
whatever is comfortable and you won't care if it gets ruined.

WNT
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:00 PM
I usually just wear breeches, since I often ride after chores and it's only one set of clothes to go in the wash. I prefer lightweight cotton polos, since a lot of the more "tech" type fabrics, for all they advertise being 'wicking', never seem to breathe very well and cling worse than cotton. Plus the collar helps cut down the sunburn I always manage to get on the back of my neck.

LauraKY
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
Usually jeans, maybe scrub pants if it's too hot, but if I'm working outside, I hate wearing shorts. How about some of the shirts that have "wick away" fabric? They're in athletic stores and I think Lands End or LLBean have some too.

Wayside
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
Personally, I like a lightweight set of cotton coveralls if I'm going to be doing anything really groty. I have a bunch leftover from when I was in the Navy, but I think Dickies and a couple of other companies make them in lighter colors as well, which would probably be cooler than the dark blue.

vineyridge
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
I would prefer complete coverage, and that means long sleeves and long legs. I've been pricing painter's overalls on line, and the price has gone up dramatically this year. IIRC from last year, the price averaged $27; now it's $31 and up. The really light chambray shirts don't seem to be available any longer, and one can hardly find inexpensive and loose fitting, long sleeved cotton shirts in sheeting or broadcloth.

Work clothes need to be inexpensive because of the "ruin" factor.

Vesper Sparrow
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:57 PM
I like the LL Bean fishing shirts with sun protection. They've worn like iron for me. But they are a little hot because they're synthetic, not cotton.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59181?feat=607-GN1

I see Bean's also has some lightweight cotton long-sleeved shirts but they aren't cheap.

Mozart
Apr. 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
Check out the men's dept of any discount dept store..do you have places like Liquidation World or Giant Tiger? I have a couple of longsleeved mens shirts with collars in a lightweight cotton that I like for summer outdoor work. They were lightweight to begin with but having now been washed over and over they are very comfortable and very breathable. Not for the fashion conscious but very practical.

For pants, I generally wear jeans but if it is hot I wear these super light weight cotton pants that I got at Cotton Ginny on extreme sale. Again, not a fashionable choice but I want full coverage and I hate being hot so comfort wins.

You should also check out the mens wear dept at thrift and second hand shops. No reason not to do that, especially for nicely broken in long sleeved mens shirt.

enjoytheride
Apr. 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
Umm, shorts, a tank top, and sneakers because it cuts down on the paddock boot tan lines. Occasionally I get honked at by people driving by but I think if they got within 30 feet of me in July they'd head in the other direction.

stryder
Apr. 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've seen the catalog for this, and know they sell women's clothing:

http://www.aramark-uniform.com/index.html

Also, http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/womens/womens-clothes-and-footwear.aspx

Not cheap, but well-made. Should last well.

Mozart
Apr. 19, 2011, 05:36 PM
Also, http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/womens/womens-clothes-and-footwear.aspx

omg..I think I'm in love...thank you for the link!!

Dad Said Not To
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
The really light chambray shirts don't seem to be available any longer, and one can hardly find inexpensive and loose fitting, long sleeved cotton shirts in sheeting or broadcloth.

Check thrift stores for men's dress shirts. I get hives from the sun, so I live in men's dress shirts with a tank top underneath in the summer.

Milocalwinnings
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
Usually Nike shorts or jean shorts with a t-shirt or tank top. I also wear Ariat work boots. A baseball cap is also helpful.

skip916
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:36 PM
columbia fishing shirts and anything from duluth trading is TOTALLY worth the investment!

ladybugred
Apr. 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
One word.......Goodwill.

Cheap men's shirts, and pants. They also occassionally get Tech clothes, I've bought some from 5Ks for running.

LBR

Bayou Roux
Apr. 19, 2011, 08:15 PM
One word.......Goodwill.

Gotta second this. Long-sleeve oxfords and khakis at rock-bottom prices!

Caught on to the Salvation Army store notion when a good friend, who is a contractor, explained that he's always so well-dressed when working for me (oxford shirts and khakis) because he buys all his "work" clothes at SA. People give away better clothing than he could afford, and he's not worried about getting paint/caulk/grease or anything else on these clothes because he only paid $3 for the shirt and $5 for the pants.

My thrifty, preppy contractor! :lol:

judybigredpony
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:01 PM
Khaki capri's, with clogs n Polo or cotton sleeveless shirts.
Keep Breeches in tackroom w/ socks for a quick change in the A/C.

Cruiser12
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:09 PM
I love to shop at our Humane Society's Thrift Store - they even have things that I would normally wear, and the price is crazy low.

I also love Title Nine Sportswear, www.titlenine.com
NOT cheap, but real stuff- every once in a while I treat myself

ACP
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:17 PM
I buy almost all my 'normal' clothing from Goodwill or thrift stores. I can't stand to wear anything with any polyester in it. I get barn clothing shirts in the men's department, 100% cotton oxford cloth button downs, ALWAYS with long sleeves, and light weight Khakis. My undies are the cheap ones, all cotton, from discount stores. Bras are likewise all cotton sports bras, so that I can pull off one shirt and put on another if I need to.

Boots by Ariat. I don't wear anything else. It is very common for me to spend as much on my work boots as I do on three or four complete outfits.

A big, wide brim planter's hat.

Lightweight work gloves, in a thin supple leather.

and gallons of sun screen.

I am a cancer survivor with too much chemo to show any skin to the sun.

Rbow
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:18 PM
..... I live in men's dress shirts with a tank top underneath in the summer.

:lol::lol:I thought I was the only one...

jcotton
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
I wear bass pro shop brand women's fishing shirts with spf50 protection and carharrt pants (sometimes canvas, sometimes jeans,...)

smm20
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
I adore the lightweight hiking pants from REI - the kind that convert from long pants into shorts. I find that you can "vent" them by unzipping the pant-to-shorts zipper about 1/3 of the way. This keeps you cool but still protects your lower leg. They are also pretty durable and resist tearing and stains.

Belg
Apr. 20, 2011, 08:22 AM
Lightest most faded jeans I can find when I'm mowing. Khaki UtiliKilt when it's over 90 or so. Yes, of course.

Shirts... light & loose. Unless I'm tractor mowing, in which case I have a long sleeve shirt.

Hat. Always. Hat. Ear Sunburns SUCK.

Almost always boots, be they terrians, ariat ropers, or other appropriate footwear for the task.

Even if it's over 100 out, I'm wearing full leg/arm/ankle protection on the tractor. Been cut by too many dang flying rocks.

rustbreeches
Apr. 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
Check out sierratradingpost.com for breathable, lightweight, sun protection and bug protection clothes! They carry alot of top brands at discount prices.

Trevelyan96
Apr. 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
I like any lightweight cargo pants or capris. Boatshoes to keep away the farmers tan but still have good protection for my feet, and definitely endorse the idea of getting a nice lightweight man's dress shirt from the goodwill store, except I can never find one small enough to fit me. :(

Working around the barn at home... a bathing suit with a swim skirt so I can just jump in the pool when I get hot.

suze
Apr. 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
I get hives from the sun, too as well as sick, so I'm always completely covered. In SoCal when the temp is close or over 100° for days on ends & I have to be outside, I get cotton men's shirts from our local Goodwill & long cotton skirts. Yup, skirts. I can't ride anymore, & even lightweight pants are too hot for me. I have several physical problems & don't do well in the heat, so the long skirts are perfect. I don't care what happens to them, or the shirts - I've never paid over $5.99 for anything. I run the tractor & water truck in them, feed, mow, garden, weed, everything. Add a SPF 45 hat with a wide brim & back that covers my neck, those cheap cotton riding gloves & sunblock & I'm all set. I get a lot of "normal" clothes there, too - we have a great Goodwill.

JB
Apr. 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
I wear lightweight "tent" type fabric long pants. I don't know how to describe them. They're like cargo pants, but very light air material. They also have a mesh lining.

Up top, I usually wear a sports bra and then a long-sleeve UV-protectant shirt with a collar. Mine are from www.solumbra.com but I got them *years* ago when there weren't many options, and now there are many options, many of which are cheaper. These things are actually cooler when you sweat, because the water dries pretty quickly.

leilatigress
Apr. 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
Coolmax shirt or Men's Long sleeve over a tank top and either shorts or jeans. Tall cowboy boots and a cowboy hat that has a string to keep it with me. Jeans are always Wranglers since I can get em cheap and they tend to last a bit longer than the Faded Glory. DD usually mimics me though her shirts are usually from Goodwill.

CFFarm
Apr. 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
I take any old "polo" type shirt, cut off the collar and the sleeves and wear it with a sports bra under. You get some good air flow. Draw string capris or pants. But then again no one usually sees me in that outfit.:D

shakeytails
Jul. 9, 2011, 09:29 AM
Usually I wear mens shorts that are a size too big, a t-shirt with the sleeves and bottom cut off and collar cut into a V, and crocs. Not an outfit I want to go out in public in, but it's sure comfy!

walkinthewalk
Jul. 9, 2011, 09:30 AM
I will pass out (I mean that literally) if I have to wear "long anything" this time of year.

I wait til the end of each summer, go to the Boys Department in Walmart and buy boys' size LG cotton (elastic) shorts and matching short-sleeved or tank tops when they're on sale for $3 or $4 each.

I have a $19 pair of ankle high Sloggers from TSC.

If I have to mow, add a Do-Rag and I am Trash-Stylin:lol:

I trim my own horses and I cannot wear long pants for that event either. We are standing right beside the tub fan and these days I have a hoof jack so I don't have to plant the hoof on my knee to rasp. However, I have learned to sweat to death in thick gloves because I have enough ancient scars from when I didn't.

MeghanDACVA
Jul. 9, 2011, 10:49 AM
I live in tank tops and short. I ride in a pair of FITS.
If I am really hot, and I am pretty sure no body is coming over I will wear a sports bra and shorts or breeches. Not necessarily a pretty picture and I sure won't go out in public in it.

I hate t-shirts in the summer. Way too hot. I can survive in some of the new technical fabric ones but I'm not spending that kind of money to have them ruined working around the farm.

I hate jeans in the summer. I don't know how people do it. Hot, sticky, can't move, don't breathe, etc.

GraceLikeRain
Jul. 9, 2011, 05:14 PM
I pick up 100% cotton T-shirts for $3-5 at Goodwill and pair them with running shorts, sneakers, and a baseball cap. The cotton does not breathe as well as I would like but I usually bring a second shirt. Once I am a icky sweaty mess I will throw on a clean shirt so I feel a little bit better while I do the second leg of chores.

That being said, if I am riding afterwards I wear my normal polo, breeches, tall socks, and just toss on a pair of sneakers and go. It feels a little silly to wear sneakers and breeches but I hate putting on breeches once I am already sweaty and I find that sneakers offer the best support when I am mucking, turning out, etc.

Unfortunately my go to sneakers died today while I was feeding so I am in the market for a new pair of reasonably priced but supportive barn shoes if anyone has a favorite pair to recommend?

jen-s
Jul. 9, 2011, 11:03 PM
GraceLikeRain--no suggestions for shoes, but your mare is GORGEOUS!

SLW
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:06 AM
Columbia brand shirts- Eddyline style. Comfortable and if it gets wet, it drys quickly and it doesn't smell awful! There is another style in this fabric that I also have. I use them for my regular job, doing outside work at home and for all my summer riding. For summer riding breeches I have not found anything better than Tropical Riders Enduracool. They make all the other summer riding breeches feel like cactus against your skin. The fabric is soooo cool yet thick enough that it doesn't show every little dimple and ding in your butt and thighs.

GraceLikeRain
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
Columbia brand shirts- Eddyline style. Comfortable and if it gets wet, it drys quickly and it doesn't smell awful! There is another style in this fabric that I also have. I use them for my regular job, doing outside work at home and for all my summer riding. For summer riding breeches I have not found anything better than Tropical Riders Enduracool. They make all the other summer riding breeches feel like cactus against your skin. The fabric is soooo cool yet thick enough that it doesn't show every little dimple and ding in your butt and thighs.

Thanks for the breeches recommendation, I'm off to ebay search. If anyone needs more a riding tights recommendation, I love my Kerrits. I picked them up on sale and the ones with the hounds tooth print on the sides are so light-weight it is unreal.

Jen-S :) thank you, she is the love of my life and completely irreplaceable.

fordtraktor
Jul. 10, 2011, 11:26 AM
Umm, shorts, a tank top, and sneakers because it cuts down on the paddock boot tan lines. Occasionally I get honked at by people driving by but I think if they got within 30 feet of me in July they'd head in the other direction.

Agree. Except often trade the sneakers for flipflops. I wear sneakers around the horses and for mowing. I ride with full chaps over my shorts -- they go on right before I bridle, come off as soon as the horse's tack is off.

I can't imagine generally wearing full coverage. Too hot!!! I do wear long pants/gloves for clearing brush, but still a tank. A few scratches never killed anyone. I need to start wearing gloves for gardening, the amount of dirt I get under my nails daily, as I'm always weeding something in a spare 5 minutes, is really quite off-putting even for me.

fordtraktor
Jul. 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately my go to sneakers died today while I was feeding so I am in the market for a new pair of reasonably priced but supportive barn shoes if anyone has a favorite pair to recommend?

Ariat Terrains -- they are crossovers between sneakers and paddock boots so you can ride in them. VERY comfy with Ariat technology. I use them year-round for chores and riding. I don't even own real paddock boots any more, if I need to look fancier I just wear my tall boots.

tasia
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=skip916;5555922]columbia fishing shirts and anything from duluth trading is TOTALLY worth the investment![/QUOT

I second the Columbia fishing shirts!!

tasia
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
and gallons of sun screen.

I am a cancer survivor with too much chemo to show any skin to the sun.

Check out Blue Lizard Sunscreen. I get mine from my dermatologist, but it's also available through drugstore.com. Great stuff!! Very water resistant and I don't get any sunburn/tan. Also no stinging when I sweat.

Wishing you continued good health!!!

Gnalli
Jul. 10, 2011, 06:32 PM
Scrubs are actually wonderful. I have a pair of scrub pants that I paid 1.99 for at GW, and I wear those and a sleeveless shirt (don't look, it aint pretty) when I know that I am going to be working at the barn instead of hanging out. I can not stand to wear short pants at the barn or in the grass. Never was allowed to as a child. Disobeyed one time, and think it was divine intervention since I stepped in a yellow jacket nest.

I am one of those that gets NASTY the second I set foot on barn property, so it has to be something I don't care about.

For winter, it is pants of any sort and a sweatshirt

LMH
Jul. 10, 2011, 06:46 PM

That is pretty much what I wear when not riding!

Daydream Believer
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
I did not read all the replies so maybe someone mentioned this stuff, but I wear backpacking technical type gear from Columbia and Worldwide Sportsman. I get it mostly from Bass pro shops who has good prices. It is lightweight, vented, nylon versus cotton, and it dries quickly. I live in this type of clothes all summer now. I'll never wear jeans/cotton in heat again.