PDA

View Full Version : Need help...boarding a pony??

morgansnmind
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've been trying to find a partial boarder at $175 so I can bring my mare home. She's right down the street (coop barn) but I want her in my front yard. My mare isn't the type to go without a equine companion and DH doesn't want anymore vet/farrier bills right now..maybe at a later date but not now. My mare gets along with almost everyone and used to turned out with small pony before.

I have a 2.5acre farm with one pasture (at the moment), small feed room, future plans for a lounge/tv room with a small bathroom, my mare's stall 10x17, a boarders stall 10x14, storage stall 10x6 and a current storage stall (has some stuff that's got to be moved) 10x12. Not a whole lot of riding room but a big field across the street. I've offered in my add to turn in/out, cameras, blanket changes, matted stalls, fans, halter's on and off (current place I'm at doesn't do that..halters on all the time). We have all new wiring in our block barn..small aisle though. There are not a whole lot of barns in my area and most of them don't have someone living on the property.

A guy emailed me about wanting to board his 12yr old pony that is his 5yr old daughters. Now for ponies would you charge less? If you had kids would you ask if he would be interested in a situation where my kids would get a pony ride in exchange for less boarding cost (I have a 4yr old and 2yr old) or would that be weird (I really want the kids to have a pony..sigh). If so what kind of price sounds good? I don't really want to take on full boarder before I have this baby in June but for a pony that is a easy keeper I would. I'm thinking that since they live about 30-40mins away that he's going to ask about full board. What would a full boarding pony pay? The same as a big horse or less? I have no clue.

For full boarding after the baby comes I was going to ask $300 (not many places to full board and most are around $450-500).

minuspride
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
Do not Charge less...pony will be just as much (if not more) work than average sized horse!!!
Definitely give the option for pony rides, if the pony is sound/sane enough for your kids!!!!

morgansnmind
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:36 PM
Well if he was interested in doing pony's ride in exchange for a discount what should I charge price wise?

Really do people pay $300 for full boarding a pony? (if that is what he's interested in..will call him in a bit). I wouldn't know as I've never owned one :)

Somermist
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:58 PM
Well if he was interested in doing pony's ride in exchange for a discount what should I charge price wise?

Really do people pay $300 for full boarding a pony? (if that is what he's interested in..will call him in a bit). I wouldn't know as I've never owned one :)

Yes, pony people pay a lot of weird things, just like horse people. If the pony is taking up the same stall, then I think the price would be the same. On the other hand, I have show ponies that are a lot more work and a few that eat very little and are happy outside much of the time with a run in shed. If you are going the have them out during the day, in at night and do the work, the price is the same.

If the pony is kid safe, then you would have to come to an agreeement based on how often you may use her and discount the board from there.

The only thing I would advise that I have been in your shoes and if the pony is easy going, a good companion for your horse is worth a lot.

Good luck.

morgansnmind
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the help. I did call the guy and the pony isn't that much of a pony (14.2hands) and the owner basicly said that for the full board price he would want the place to have riding rings/lessons and for partial board he ask how often would he have to clean the stalls....:eek:

I just told him how it is..if you want a place with a riding ring/trails/lessons then you'll have to pay at least $400 and up around this area have to look places further away. Can't really go down on price for full board since the cost of hay is crazy, grain is going up, insurance, and then the extra labor.

sooo

I will have to be patient or convince my DH that a small pony for the kids won't cost all that much. Guess boarding my horse down the street isn't so bad..I can walk there. I just want her here. It gets hard when turn in time interfers with my kids dinner (since my mare can't be left alone or she starts running and being stupid).

MMavin
Apr. 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
I did what you are describing and had a great experience. Couple things: I checked references thoroughly before inviting someone on the property. Also checked with my insurance agent about liability. He said I was covered by homeowners as long as I was keeping the 2nd horse at cost - feed and a reasonable rate for cleaning, graining, but to in no way promote the arrangement as a for profit venture.

A pony is as much work as a horse, so I would charge the same. The owner of my companion horse offered Riding privileges as a way to help keep her horse fit, and there was no board discount (since it was already at cost).

One off question thought: do you feel comfortable with a child boarder? I said no to one friend due to risk of injury by my horse, since they are in the same paddock. Couldnt bear the thought of a little person getting stepped on, ect. If I were to do it again, I would use the boarding contract wisdom from coth!

LauraKY
Apr. 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
Liability insurance, care custody and control and rider's liability (especially with children). It can add up in a hurry.

How about fostering a rescue where the rescue pays the expenses? Or a retirment horse? You still need liability and care, custody and control, and should have liability in any case just for your horse.

SMF11
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
I like Laura's foster idea. Also, with only a small amount of legwork I bet you could find someone who wants to retire their horse and would be willing to pay vet and farrier if you took the retiree in (i.e. basically getting free board). That way, if your situation changes you can give the retiree back.

And as for the pony -- besides taking up a stall, the one pony here (mine) is just as time consuming -- he needs management to pretty strictly limit his grass and so is just as much trouble as a horse.

sketcher
Apr. 19, 2011, 11:09 PM

I would not offer a discount up front. If you want to borrow the pony and he in amenable to it then agree upon an amount per ride that will be discounted off the board the following month. That way you don't get in an uncomfortable situation where pony is not available to you because they are using it or you don't use it like you thought you would but they get a discount.

JanM
Apr. 20, 2011, 08:24 AM
I would worry more about the liability of the many friends of the boarder's kid that will show up to ride the pony too. I bet that's not covered by homeowners insurance. And in the case of divorced parents I would have to get a waiver from both legal parents, especially the one with custody. And who would come out to see the kid ride? You could be talking a lot of people from time-to-time on your property, leading to more liability. I think I need to stop watching the legal shows on tv, don't you? I'm so paranoid about liability, because I know people who have spend thousands defending themselves against stupid lawsuits.