PDA

View Full Version : Pond Control

ClassynIvansMom
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:49 AM
What do you guys use on your ponds to keep the mosquitos away? I'm going to be treating a very large pond, not quite what I'd call a lake, and I'm getting paranoid about mosquito born infectious equine diseases. I've been looking at pest control spray systems for inside the barn, and have started checking out fresh supply of fly sprays to apply to my "kids", but I'm going to try to go to the source and eliminate most of the mosquitos before they get really bad.

Here's an aerial view of the pond. No idea what size it is exactly?
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/erikahana824/Miscellaneous2/pondview.jpg

chancellor2
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
Mosquitoes do not lay eggs etc on moving water. So, if you can incorporate a fountain or something like that in the middle of the lake, you can naturally deter mosquitoes.

casper324
Apr. 18, 2011, 10:17 AM
Barn swallows and bats take care of insects at our pond, just watch them in action at dusk over a pond. Don't spray your pond because by doing do so natural predators are at risk. Instead make sure there is no standing water ANYWHERE since standing water is really where they perfer to lay their eggs.

ClassynIvansMom
Apr. 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
Well, the good news is that there isn't usually much standing water aside from water troughs. But I was thinking of something along the lines of this: http://www.horse.com/item/summit-mosquito-dunks/E002331/ because it says toxic only to mosquitos, not to other animals. Putting a fountain in the middle is not going to be an easy thing to do, and though I haven't looked up prices, I'm assuming it'd be costly. Has anyone tried non-toxic (to other animals) mosquito deterrents other than creating a moving water source that has been effective?

SGray
Apr. 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
dragon flies/dragon fly larvae

Nes
Apr. 18, 2011, 12:20 PM
Fish.

If you look up aquaponics tillapia are pretty easy to keep.
Yum, Yum!
(then again i'm not sure if it's a natural or man-made pond).

Really your local wildlife should be taking care of the bugs. If you don't have frogs you may have bigger problems then you realize.

Hampton Bay
Apr. 18, 2011, 12:34 PM
Check into a fountain, but if they are too pricey, then I've had luck with the mosquito dunks in our pool during the winter. With a fountain, it doesn't need to run constantly to take care of the problem.