PDA

View Full Version : Mud, mud, mud...Please help me get rid of it!

showidaho
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:17 AM
It has poured rain in buckets here and my grass is growing VERY slowly in the small grass paddocks on our place. I can't turn out my idiots on the grass now, or there won't be any grass. My sacrifice area is MUD. I need a great solution to the mud. What do you guys do for all-weather turnouts? Do I need to have the dirt removed and then put in gravel? Can I just dump gravel and cow-carpet? I'm very concerned about gravel as I really want to avoid the dreaded gravel-gut, but our new place just isn't leaving me with many options...I'm open to any suggestions and would love photos of what you have done. Many thanks!

the_other_mother
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
Stone dust is your friend....

showidaho
Apr. 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
Should I just get someone to dump stone dust on my mud? Or are we talking major dirt/mud work here?

jcotton
Apr. 19, 2011, 07:58 AM
I'll trade your mud for our drought in Texas. We are Desperate for rain!!!

NEWT
Apr. 19, 2011, 08:09 AM
A search will bring up many threads on this topic. But, just for starters:

1. You can't put anything on top of the mud, it will just get mixed in and make more mud.

2. Wait for it to dry out completely... maybe this summer?

3. Put down road cloth. On top put 1' of 6-8" minus. Top with four inches of 1" minus. Top with stonedust.

4. Its expensive and I still haven't done it. But, I'm dreaming of the no-mud days.

howardh
Apr. 19, 2011, 08:13 AM
What a bore you are! Fun hater. Don't you know your horses LOVE mud? They love to roll in it, shed their blankets in it, spill their grain in it, lose their shoes in it............

How can you even dream of getting rid of it?????

showidaho
Apr. 19, 2011, 08:48 AM
I know...what was I thinking...they really love mud. I am a fun hater!!! How could I possibly think of ruining the single best moment of their days? They adore running (and sometimes falling) through the slop, attempting to rip off shoes, and finally, oh finally, the sweet relief of rolling until EVERY SINGLE INCH of their blankets, manes, tails, faces, and legs are COVERED in their favorite thing: MUD! ;) Sometimes I think they do it on purpose...In fact, I could swear that my gelding winked at me yesterday after I yelled at him to stop rolling in it! :winkgrin:

Mosey_2003
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
A search will bring up many threads on this topic. But, just for starters:

1. You can't put anything on top of the mud, it will just get mixed in and make more mud.

2. Wait for it to dry out completely... maybe this summer?

3. Put down road cloth. On top put 1' of 6-8" minus. Top with four inches of 1" minus. Top with stonedust.

4. Its expensive and I still haven't done it. But, I'm dreaming of the no-mud days.

This :yes:

Just wanted to add that if you do this and your local quarry doesn't have 6" - 8" you can use 1" - 3" instead. A lot of places don't make the 6" because it's usually cost-prohibitive to rearrange the screens for it and what comes off the surge pile is generally larger.

Lucassb
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:25 PM
Show, our barn installed all weather footing in the majority of our paddocks last spring... we are nearby (Sandy Hook) so if you want to come see it, and talk to our BO (who is a contractor by trade, and installed it himself) let me know.

It's not as pretty as grass, for sure, but we are able to use the paddocks pretty much anytime we want. They are great even right after (or during) rainy weather.

showidaho
Apr. 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Lucassb - I really need to get out there! I really want to meet your trainer and to setup some lessons! At some point I also need to take my very helpful COTH friend out to lunch! :) The next two weeks are incredibly busy (they are putting in my riding arena if the rain ever stops, along with other things), but I'll try to get out there soon. Thanks again!!

Lucassb
Apr. 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
Lucassb - I really need to get out there! I really want to meet your trainer and to setup some lessons! At some point I also need to take my very helpful COTH friend out to lunch! :) The next two weeks are incredibly busy (they are putting in my riding arena if the rain ever stops, along with other things), but I'll try to get out there soon. Thanks again!!

No problem, anytime!

msj
Apr. 24, 2011, 07:53 PM
I used to have a huge mud problem when a hard rain would literally blast anywhere from 2-4' off the roof of the barn into the sacrifice paddocks where my stalls opened. The guy that did my excavating dug out the clay and put down what I guess you might call a road base and topped it with stone dust. I usually end up adding a small load of stone dust every year and it's great. There's still grass growing but also a dry area for them.

Course they do go out to the mud parts and have wonderful rolls. I usually give them a good brushing before dinner and yesterday I was so pleased with my boy for NOT rolling cause we had a lot of rain earlier in the day. I looked out the kitchen window while I was preparing dinner only to see him rolling over and over and over. :( :( :(

I did solve the muddy manes though-I roach them. :D