PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon in the tack room

Renn/aissance
Apr. 17, 2011, 03:24 PM
A pigeon has moved into the tack and feed room of the barn where I board. Thus far, methods of ousting it have not been effective. My equipment seems to be its favorite to use as a toilet and I thus probably have the most vested interest in getting rid of it. :lol:

Short of a shotgun or a peregrine falcon, neither of which I have access to, has anyone had any success? The barn is rather short on cats because it is long on dogs.

I wish we still owned my sister's old horse, who would kill birds.

coloredcowhorse
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:17 PM
Keep doors closed and screen all other potential entrances?

pj
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:08 PM
Do you mean that you can't catch it to get it out?
If that's the case try after dark with the room/s darkened.
Or do you mean it's going in and out?

If you catch it send it to me...I love the feathered little rats. :D

kateh
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
If you're just trying to catch it, throw some seed in one place and lie in wait. When it lands, throw a towel over him and take him out to a field.

If he's taking up residence, keep a JRT or other prey-driven barking dog in the tack room with it? Put up a kiddie gate that keeps yipper in but free to harass bird.

Guin
Apr. 17, 2011, 06:57 PM
pigeon trap:

http://www.critterridders.com/pigeon_trap.htm

Almost Heaven
Apr. 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
Squab dinner.

Big_Tag
Apr. 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
A pigeon has moved into the tack and feed room of the barn where I board. Thus far, methods of ousting it have not been effective. My equipment seems to be its favorite to use as a toilet and I thus probably have the most vested interest in getting rid of it. :lol:

Short of a shotgun or a peregrine falcon, neither of which I have access to, has anyone had any success? The barn is rather short on cats because it is long on dogs.

I wish we still owned my sister's old horse, who would kill birds.

Just one thing..before you "permanently oust" it, is it banded? We had one take up residence in the feed room who was banded...we were able to throw a towel over him, read the band and actually traced where he came from. It was pretty easy to find the pertinent info online once we got his band numbers/letters. We called and it turns out he had been released at a pigeon race in Cincinnati but there was some inclement weather. The man who owned him was an older gentlemen and just asked that we feed him so he would be strong enough to move on, and sure enough, he did fly off about a week later. This was in Western PA and I can't for the life of me remember where exactly he was from but it wasn't terribly far.

AHA!! I even found a picture of him!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/n35100011_32238524_3329.jpg

Just a thought. I don't know the first thing about homing pigeons but it was a pretty interesting experience!

scotchie
Apr. 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
Very cool story, Big Tag!

victoria stiles
Oct. 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
A tactile repellent is any device or substance that can deter a pigeon from landing on or touching a surface. Some of these include- Anti-Roosting Spike Strips, Chemicals, Scarecrows.

LauraKY
Oct. 27, 2011, 09:19 AM
Victoria Stiles is a scammer with a bird fetish who loves old bird threads.