PDA

View Full Version : Great story on Graham Motion and his retirees

Eventfan4LIFE
Apr. 17, 2011, 09:25 AM
Too bad the photo of Better Talk Now and Gala Spinaway isnt on their website.

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2011/apr/17/hemade/

ASB Stars
Apr. 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
What a lovely story, about a lovely man. Nice to hear about the GOOD guys!

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:47 PM
Graham can compete in the big leagues without all of the illegals or barely legals- that should be a lesson to everyone in the game, for the sake of our horses.........

tradewind
Apr. 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
Bravo to him...hope lots more will try to do things his way as far as drugs are concerned.

Mara
Apr. 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
And you can't mention Motion's retirees (especially Better Talk Now) without thinking of good old Shake The Bank.

As of 2 years ago he was retraining for his new job as a hunter.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49342/inside-track-shake-the-bank

Toadie's mom
Apr. 17, 2011, 11:04 PM
And he has my Derby pick:yes:

bathsheba8542
Apr. 18, 2011, 07:14 AM
I had the pleasure of regular meetings with Graham when I worked for an owner of some great horses years ago. He was without fail polite, charming, and affable. I am not surprised in the least that he puts the well-being of horses out front, and commend him for his well-deserved fine reputation.

Hounds
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:46 AM
He's got my Derby pick, too--and I have one of his former racehorses!

Dahoss
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:57 PM
Graham can compete in the big leagues without all of the illegals

Actually, he has plenty of illegals working for him at Fair Hill. Other than that, he is an ethical horseman.

Texarkana
Apr. 18, 2011, 07:23 PM
One of my first jobs in racing was working in his barn. I was too young at the time to realize not all barns were like that. :yes: Boy, did I ever get a culture shock shortly after...

Carol Ames
Apr. 18, 2011, 08:54 PM
Nice to See the article;); he has some of my:lol: "babies" from Lazy lane

Glimmerglass
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
And you can't mention Motion's retirees (especially Better Talk Now) without thinking of good old Shake The Bank.

As of 2 years ago he was retraining for his new job as a hunter.

His (new) owner posted here before if you do a search you'll find her. Indeed 'Shake' and Better Talk Now were a pair that I enjoyed a lot and I'm glad each are enjoying post-racing lives.

Carol Ames
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:39 PM
I recall well, the day I drove up the lane at Lazy Lane and looked over to see a tall grey "two Punch colt who, had had a couple of wins:cool: in Maryland; turned out in a field with a sales yearling with whom, he was happily:winkgrin:" face fighting":lol: Before I called the asst. farm manager; Grahams' brother , Andrew; I soon learned that this was SOP;) for Graham and for Lazy Lane :yes:

judybigredpony
Apr. 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
I have been the recipient of a number of Graham Motion horses. From ages 2-6 one a $600K stakes horse w/ 63 starts.
Every single one of them are in new Eventing homes, all passed a full PPE and were beyond wonderful.

I have 1 right now getting his 90 days out in a field.

I can't say" Thank You" enough to Graham and his staff especially Sue and Fenella for sending these wonderful horses my way. To the owners for having the grace to allow these wonderful horses a new Sports Horse career...BRAVO

They keep up on the where abouts of the retirees and love photo's and show highlights.....

Acertainsmile
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:51 PM
I've known Graham since he first started training, I can honestly say he's the same nice guy now as he was then!

laserRob
May. 7, 2011, 07:27 PM
Congrats to 2011 Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom and trainer Graham Motion.

tucktaway
May. 7, 2011, 07:37 PM
What a breath of fresh air! Kudos to him for "doing it right"!

laserRob
May. 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
What a breath of fresh air! Kudos to him for "doing it right"!

It's a real boost for the no-drug movement.

knowthatifly
May. 7, 2011, 07:45 PM
Congratulations to Derby winner Animal Kingdom, Team Valor, and Graham Motion!

Pronzini
May. 7, 2011, 07:48 PM
It's a real boost for the no-drug movement.

Except he does use legal medication

http://www.drf.com/news/motions-old-school-approach-leads-derby

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 7, 2011, 08:06 PM
Except he does use legal medication

http://www.drf.com/news/motions-old-school-approach-leads-derby

The point is he has never had a drug positive, ever, either an overage or an illegal med.

Pronzini
May. 7, 2011, 08:31 PM
But using the drugs and describing Lasix as "an integral part" of the game does not make him a poster boy for the no drug movement as was implied by laser rob which was my point.

BTW plenty of trainers don't have positives or overages. It's just that the high profile ones with their farflung stables, hundreds of starts a year and 200 head in training tend to have them and they are reported when they do. In part, that is trainer as CEO of a company syndrome where everything has to be delegated. To the extent that Graham Motion runs a hand on operation in the old school I salute him but that doesn't make him a no medication saint.

Acertainsmile
May. 7, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thrilled for Graham and Anita!