PDA

View Full Version : Demodectic mange tip...

Melelio
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
I have a COTH giveaway dog who was born with an immune system issue that allowed the demodex acquired from his mother to overpopulate his poor little body.

No one else wanted to deal with the crusty, half naked little thing, so I took him in. Researched for natural treatments rather than dips and drugs.

What I found does to the trick, though, because the demodex breed every 7-10 days, you have to do it weekly, it's a bit of a chore. I just thought others might find it useful if any of your farm critters have or get this.

I simply bathe him weekly, first with doggy shampoo, then I mix in a separate bottle a combination of:

3-4 tablespoons powdered borax (in the laundry aisle of your store)
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
3-4 tablespoons powdered sulphur (garden aisle)
touch of shampoo as binder
hot water

I use this mix all over his body, avoiding the eyes. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then rinse just a bit, leaving most on the skin. Just towel dry.

This is the only way I've found to control the demodex without chemicals. I almost killed this dog as a puppy, trying the ivermectin (he's part herding breed). He's ok with it now, but it's still a drug.

Just in case anyone needs some help with the same problem, wanted to post it.

S1969
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:19 PM
Benzoil peroxide shampoo also helps - and is not very expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Shampoo-Benzoyl-Peroxide/dp/B001M5D1GC

I also recommend Goodwinol Ointment

http://www.amazon.com/Goodwinol-Ointment/dp/B00074W3FE/ref=pd_sim_k_5

My puppy had a very mild case and we were waiting for it to heal itself but it was so ugly. One bath and two days of ointment was all it took to clear it up...can't believe I waited so long!

Obviously a more severe case is a different issue, and dogs can get secondary bacterial infections if their skin is very affected, but if it's a mild case it is very treatable.

S1969
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
I have a COTH giveaway dog who was born with an immune system issue that allowed the demodex acquired from his mother to overpopulate his poor little body.

Sorry, just also had to comment on this -- demodex is also called "puppy mange" because the fact that a puppy has an immature immune system can be the reason for the overpopulation. I believe over 80% of cases will clear up on their own without treatment (if you can stand looking at their ugliness!) ;)

It does sound that your case was severe - if the poor pup was half naked! But I did want to just interject that it's not necessarily a "problem" if it's a mild case. When my puppy was afflicted with this I searched the internet for help and several websites incorrectly confused sarcoptic mange with demodectic mange....very different issues.

Bluey
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
That was loooong ago, before ivomectins, all we had were sulfur baths and later Mitaban dips.
I had a dobie puppy that developed demodectic mange.
We only had sulfur baths then and sulfur and all kinds of other creams and kept the dog in a t-shirt.
The puppy was not outgrowing it and was miserable, the vet finally put her to sleep.
We found out the litter of seven had five with this problem and two, one ours, were so bad they had to be euthanized.:cry:

Years went by and we got a minpin puppy and she too had demodectic mange.
By then, we had Mitaban dips and it took five and growing up to clear her up, but hers was never as bad as the dobie puppy, that had open sores that would heal and others open right by those and her skin looked like elephant skin.:(

In some puppies, their immune system just never gets going enough and there is nothing you can do then.
Thankfully, most get over it.

The breeder of our dobie was so sick about this they neutered both, sire and dam, as there can be an inherited component to this being a serious problem and quit breeding.

Melelio
Apr. 17, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm trying to avoid Mitaban, but did try the Promeris...that almost killed him, too. I don't like overtaxing systems with such harsh things.

This is a pretty serious case. It's all over his body, and if I let it go more than 2 weeks, the mites just eat his skin away.

For those of us who really don't like chemicals (I have other dogs and a child I don't want messing with chemicals) this is what I've found so far works.

He is now a year old, and still just as susceptible as when I got him at 16 weeks. Breeder said it started showing up on him at 3 days old :no: I don't know if he'll ever break the chain of his faulty immune system, so I don't want to constantly be giving him chemicals that will end up around the house and farm.

Bluey
Apr. 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
The protocol with Mitaban, at that time, was you get the dog dipped at the vet and it stays there for some hours.
Two weeks later, another dip.

Then a skin scraping and if any found, another dip and so on until you have two clear scrapings, two weeks apart, then you dip one last time and hope it doesn't come back as a problem, which thankfully didn't with our puppy, that was dipped five times total.

Mitaban in puppies sometimes does change their disposition, affects them so they become a bit more dull, but it is a trade-off with being able to live without a skin continuously at war with itself and those mites.

Thankfully ivermectins today work for many dogs.

I don't think Mitaban will be on the dog once several hours have passed, but you may want to research that.

I do think to euthanize our puppy, hard that it was on all, was best, the condition of her skin was so bad we were fighting infections from it.
Our skin is our first line of protection and if we can't keep it whole, there is not much we can do to protect the body from everything around us.:no:

Grataan
Apr. 17, 2011, 01:35 PM
You do realize that hydrogen peroxide and sulfur are chemicals?

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
Your bath mix is good for the skin but won't solve the mite problem. Benzyl peroxide baths are good since they flush the hair follicles where the mites live. Goodwinol ointment "works" for localized demodex but not for systemic.

Antibiotics are often necessary too to treat the concurrent skin infection. And sometimes anti-fungals too since yeast infections are common as well.

Interceptor is an option if he wont' tolerate ivermectin. What dose of ivermectin did you use?

And FWIW, ALL puppies are exposed to demodex at birth. Whether or not they develope disease is a function of their immune system. Be sure he/she is neutered/spayed too as these stresses make demodex worse.

Systemic demodex is not something that is easy to treat and yes, it can be fatal.

Melelio
Apr. 18, 2011, 08:03 PM
Meghan, he was pretty bad when I got him, and really doesn't tolerate chemicals very well. I was doing ivermectin double for his weight, every two weeks. All it did was make him ill; didn't seem to affect the demodex.

When I use the wash on him once a week, the skin issues stay low, but still there.

I really don't want to have to resort to chems if possible, hence the wash. I know other folks like to stay as natural as possible.

I simply hope he'll outgrow it, but I know that can take another year or so, too.

I don't think you can EVER get totally rid of the demodex, so no matter what, if his immune system is still weak, it'll never completely go away.

Blume Farm
Apr. 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
If you need/ want to stay away from "chemicals" also consider other options of immune support. Find yourself a TCVM vet to balance his chi and do some diet alteraltions. Go to the Chi Institute website and search for a vet in your area.

idlemoon
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
Ivermectin every 2 weeks for demodex will do nothing. It needs to be given daily, if your dog can take it.
Interceptor daily would be a nice, but costly alternative.
Make sure the secondary infections are taken care of.

Lisa

RooMB4
Apr. 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
Does anyone have any home remedies/products they use for sarcoptic mange other than oral ivermectin?

atr
Apr. 21, 2011, 12:34 AM
I've recently treated a baby porcupine for sarcoptic mange--ivermectin once a week for four weeks, and dusting with a Diatomacious Earth/Permethrin powder, (designed to treat vegetables) both him and his den, did the trick, along with a decent diet. It's very rare for a porkie to survive mange. He did go pretty much completely bald (and a bald porcupine is not a pretty sight...)

He's doing rather well now, grown back his spines and is now growing back his undercoat and guard hairs. Still looks a bit scruffy, but is a fat and happy little guy.