PDA

View Full Version : Animal Communicator for lost farm dog?

seabreeze
Apr. 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
One of our loyal farm dogs disappeared Tuesday evening. This is very uncharacteristic of him. We are beyond heartbroken and have gone through all the normal avenues for trying to find him (searching, posting flyers, notifying radio, shelters, vets, etc.).

Frankly, I've always been a bit skeptical of animal communicators, but, at the same time, I don't disbelieve people who have used them with reliable results.

We don't know what to do next, and we want to try to do anything we can if there is hope of reuniting with our dear boy. I'm willing to put my skepticism aside if it might bring our buddy back to us. Can any of you recommend a reputable animal communicator who might even specialize in helping find lost pets? We would certainly appreciate any recommendations you might be able to share. Thank you.

Gryhnd
Apr. 15, 2011, 01:01 PM
We have not talked with her for a lost pet specifically, but feel she is very skilled. Latifa at Animals.can.talk. Good luck!

LaurieB
Apr. 15, 2011, 01:26 PM
I have used an animal communicator that I think very highly of but I don't believe she will do lost pets. She told me once that all she can get from a lost pet is a feeling of utter panic and that if she asks them where they are they don't know--if they knew where they were, they would know how to go home.

I'm sorry about your lost dog. I would certainly try an animal communicator if you find one that is willing to help.

MistyBlue
Apr. 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
Most won't do lost pets, it requires a definitive answer and they can't cold read that from the owner or give a series of basic replies. IOW, they can't fib their way through that except for "there's woods and the animal is scared."

Try looking up tracking dogs in your area. They can scent track lost pets in some instances. Look fpr "tracking" "search and rescue" "pet detectives" or "pet recovery."

So sorry your dog is missing, it's a terrible feeling when we don't know where they are. :(

Best of luck to you!

jenm
Apr. 15, 2011, 01:59 PM
You may also want to try Sherlock Bones. I don't have personal experience with it, but it's worth looking into.

http://www.sherlock.com/

Sending jingles to help you find your beloved dog!

Rena
Apr. 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
So sorry about missing your dog, it is heartbreaking. And waiting is excruciating, after we've done all we can to find our animals. My faithful dog I've had 11 years went missing last year, I was desperate, went to all neighbors etc. The next day, one neighbor spotted her in a remote place, looking ill (she a dal/chessy mix, with b/w spots). We got her .. the vet said it appeared someone fed my dog marijuana buds. She survived, but appears to have aged , all of a sudden. This year, she's 12, she is so embarassed she cannot jump in the truck anymore.

A student of mine had a horse stolen. After using all other measures, sheriff, posse, ads, etc her parents did approve of paying a communicator.

Communicator was wrong by a mile. Not even close.

People are quick to rave about when communicators get it right or nearly right.

I would say: extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof before I would spend money on it.

For anyone using a communicator:

1) Pay only after the service is rendered
2) Pay only if the service is correct and factual.

3) and most important: ask all animal communicator you consider of paying for their service to submit their skills to REAL testing. The Randy Foundation has an open invitation and a $1 mill prize if such a claim proves to be correct.

After all .. everyone wants all kind of proof that a horse trainer is capable before spending $$. Why not ask same of other so-called professionals?

OTOH, a pet detective might be able to help .. and show /tell you how.

*keeping fingers crossed* and sending vibes and jingling that you find your dog healthy.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
You know, I don't really want to get into the semantics of whether people can communicate with animals or not, so I would rather not say anything either way. I do know that I am the sort of person that would feel guilty if I didn't think I had done everything within my power to find my lost animal, so if it will make you feel better to try, then do it. The only thing you are going to lose is a small amount of cash, but you know you would be more than willing to lose a much greater amount if it meant finding your lost pet, so don't let people poo poo the idea and talk you out of doing if it would make you feel better. As the saying goes, "even a broken watch is right twice a day". A little luck and faith can go a long way sometimes.
The pet detective idea is a great one too.

AnotherRound
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
OP, my heart does ache for you. I hope you can find her, and if you could find someone who could track her withanother animal, that would be amazing and cool. For example, you could see if the trail led out to the road and then vanished, that she got picked up in a car.

Keep your eyes out on Craigslist for a dog for sale. On another thread, last year, it was discussed how people find/take dogs and sell them on Craigs list.

If she's an entire female of a pure or desired cross breed, look for Craigslist and other places where they are advertising such a breed of puppies. If she is a purebred, contact breeders in the area to let them know she's missing and to keep an eye out for queries about breeding their stud dog.

What breed is she or cross, can you tell us onhere? There are alot of people in VA and you never know who might see what...

Also, I would really look a long ways into the woods, very thoroughly this weekend, if you are in woods, looking for her if she was sick or poisoned she could be holed up somewhere. Even if she was injured, she could have run into the woods and is hiding. This is the kind of thing I would think a search dog could find.

If you have another dog, try taking him out to find her, especially in the woods. You might be surprised, he might go straight to her.

Good luck.

AnotherRound
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:18 PM
Sorry just reread the original post and realized the dog's a 'he'.

Same stuff applies, though.

I think I really would take one of the other, or all of the other dogs out, depending on how you feel about them all together or separately, and spend some time calling her, and getting the other dogs' attention on how you are calling her. See how he reacts pointed in different directions and then let him go and follow him. Or go out in the woods with the other dog on a leash, and just call and look for her with the other dog. Eventually, I think you could let him off the leash and see what he did. If he bolted, or took off smelling, you might have a clue.

I have a feeling it might work.

Ridinwyoming
Apr. 15, 2011, 04:47 PM
Someone who helps find lost pets is Terri Steuben
http://www.calmhealer.com/

I believe she is out of town until Monday but you could try giving her a call.

She helped me find my lost cat. My gut told me the neighbors dogs got her because the last time I saw her she was heading out in their pasture. I didn't mention my feeling to Terri but she was able to confirm that my cat was killed by a quick bite to the neck. Not good news but it gave me closure.

Wishing you luck in finding your boy and a happy ending.

StGermain
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:02 PM
seabreeze - Don't rely on just notifying the local Animal Control. Go in and look at the dogs every couple days. Those notifications get removed, or the folks aren't as familiar with the breeds, or they simply don't pay attention. I had a dobie go missing, and checked in often, replaced the notice as it was taken down, etc. Finally one time in they said, "oh, we put down a red dobe a couple days ago. We don't know if he was yours."

Good luck finding your boy.

StG

CBoylen
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:07 PM
I don't know if she does lost animals, but I've found Linda at http://www.ispeakanimal.com/ to be both entertaining and accurate. She made me at least half a believer, which isn't really in my nature in general.

seabreeze
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm so tired, I can hardly remember who has said what, but...

I suppose I am just hoping a communicator would be able to let me know if he's still alive or not. However, even having said that, I don't know if I'd really want to believe the communicator and give up if she said he was no longer with us...so what would be the point, right? Perhaps I'm hoping to hear that he is alive and is feeling happy and loved. I'd like to imagine that he has somehow lost his collar and been taken in by a perfect family who dotes on him. I guess I might be grasping at straws.

I have taken our very intuitive Corgi out and walked around with her several times, calling for our missing dog and watching her reaction. She does the same thing she always does when I call for them to come in...she barks and looks at me. I can't get a read on anything she might be thinking.

We have filed reports, and my husband has stopped by the shelter to look for himself. We will continue to do so. I have been checking Craigslist, etc. For the person who asked, he is a black lab. The. best. lab. ever.

The idea of a tracking dog is a good one. I will check into that; however, I am afraid that it would be so cost-prohibitive that I wouldn't be able to do it, and then I would feel awful. Sigh. But it's worth an inquiry, nonetheless.

Thanks again, everyone.

fivehorses
Apr. 15, 2011, 09:46 PM
Look in your local shelter but also neighboring counties.

Check every vet in the county and then some.

Call the dispatch in your town and neighboring towns and counties

Keep checking craig's list as well as posting as many flyers as you can.

Best of luck.
I am so sorry, I would be devastated too.

katie+tru
Apr. 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
Could a tracking dog track your dog? I mean, if they can track lost children by smelling a sock, could they track a lost dog by smelling a bed or coat or collar? Maybe you know someone or can get connected to someone with such a dog...

Guilherme
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
Loosing a pet is hard. The dollars you'd spend on an "animal communicator" would likely be better spent on flyers and a reward for the dog's return.

I view this ilk with a particular contempt, as they prey upon the emotions of the distraught. In that sense they're crueler than the torture masters of the various Middle Eastern "strongmen."

I do hope you recover the dog, or at least learn its fate. Turning to an "animal communicator" would be worse than useless, as it would impart false hope. And, perhaps, false closure.

G.

Chall
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:31 PM
I hear people saying that you have to check with the shelter OFTEN and in person and ask, not just put or renew a poster. Bug the staff so that they would rather look for your dog in their shelter just to get rid of you :)
When I was child, I used my one cat on a leash, and the leashed one convinced the lost one to come out of hiding from under a shed, so I would walk with your current dog in places and directions you think your dog may have gone. Keep your ears open and don't forget to walk at night too when it's quieter and easier to hear.
Good luck.

Lovinglife5757
Apr. 15, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm a skeptic about animal communication, but I've dealt with this particular one. I never recommend spending one's money on animal communication, but if you are so inclined, I've had some success with this one:

http://www.askyouranimals.com/

And, I've heard from others who have used her. Haven't heard anything bad yet.....

Good luck in finding your boy!

scierra
Apr. 15, 2011, 11:18 PM
I know you said you have looked at the shelter but keep going. Have them walk you through the kennels. I work at a shelter and we cannot look for a lost animal by description only. I know it's heartbreaking to call and ask for a shelter worker to look for you but what if they have the dog and don't pay close attention. It happens. The shelter I work at does not allow us to do a phone search. We can tell the person on the phone if we have a certain breed that came in as a stray, but that is it. And that is if we even know a certain breed it there. Shelters take in way to many dogs for each worker to know who is in the kennels. It is up to the owner to search and keep searching. At least where I work we do have a department that does searches on Craigslist and if we have a dog that matches a lost post we contact the owner to let them know we may have a match.
Good luck

CosMonster
Apr. 16, 2011, 12:27 AM
Not to mention it is really common for dogs to be misidentified by breed, even if it seems pretty obvious what they are. Overworked shelter volunteers who lack an eye for identifying breeds can do some odd things. So if you say you're missing your black and white border collie, they might have it in there as a lab mix (that is one that actually happened to a friend, even though her BC was a small purebred working dog...about as far from a lab as you can get!) or something.

The shelter workers encouraged me to do it when my dog was missing. They recommended at least every 2 days to be safe as that shelter would hold onto strays for 3 days before deciding what to do with them.

yellow-horse
Apr. 16, 2011, 01:18 AM
I have a dog who wouldnever leave,never,ever. He left one day,who knows why,I did flyers,a/c,school bus drivers,mail carrier,vets offices etc. I got a call 17 days after he was gone by a guy who said he had been hanging around his place for days, took him a few days of putting food out to coax him over he was 20 miles from home. keep looking even if yout think there's nopoint.

howardh
Apr. 16, 2011, 08:10 AM
This time last year my good dog disappeared and came back 4 days later with a trap wound. I suspect someone trapped him and then let him free when they checked their traps! We live in a suburban rural area but it is possible a kid was playing with traps.

DITTO on checking miles from your home! More than once I have heard of people in our neighborhood who have had dogs picked up by well meaning do gooders out for a drive in the country. They think any dog loose is a stray and drive it to THEIR local humane society NOT the one local to the location of the dog!

Kate66
Apr. 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
Likewise my brother, on vacation from Scotland, picked up a border collie on the side of the road in East Texas and brought her over to mine in Houston. She's got a docked tail, so at sometime someone must have thought something of her. I do think she was a stray, she wasn't in great condition, but the point is, like other posters have said, someone may pick your dog up and drive it some distance.

chai
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
Seabreeze, don't give up. When I was a kid, our collie disappeared two days before Christmas, most likely stolen. I was absolutely devastated. Months later, a woman came out of a department store in a city about ten miles from our house and found an emaciated collie on the sidewalk trying to stand up. Thank God for her kind heart, because instead of stepping around him, she picked him up and took him to a local vet.

Our dog had been on the cover of a national catalog and when he disappeared, there was an article in the newspaper about it. She went to a luncheon that day and told the other women about the dog she found. One of the women at the luncheon remembered the newspaper article and they left the table and called the catalog company to tell them she may have found the dog.
The catalog company called my father and we went directly to the vet's office. It was our dog. We brought him home, nursed him back to health and he had many more years as my shadow at the barn and out on trail rides. His story was published in the Chicken Soup 'My Dog's Life' anthology that came out last week.

Miracles can happen, Seabreeze. Get the word out using any means possible and don't lose heart. Please keep us posted.

BigPaintHorse
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:24 PM
I have used Latifa at animals can talk for two lost dogs of my friends. Both were found more than ten miles from home in places she described quite detailed. My boy and I tracked the one Bitch from a library Latifa sent us to almost two miles to the point we found her collar. She was found one neighborhood over a few hours later. This was thirteen miles. Four days and across two interstates from where. She was lost. I trust her quite a bit. If you call her tell her Gator's mom said to call.

citydog
Apr. 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
Aw, seabreeze, I'm so sorry to hear that.

The idea of a tracking dog is a good one. I will check into that; however, I am afraid that it would be so cost-prohibitive that I wouldn't be able to do it, and then I would feel awful. Sigh. But it's worth an inquiry, nonetheless.

Contact any tracking clubs in your area, as well as breed clubs and training clubs. http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm "Dog folks" tend to hear things about found dogs, and might know someone who has a dog who will track dogs.

As others have said, don't give up! Call the shelters within a fairly wide radius of you (not just the local one) multiple times per day and try to visit them yourself as often as you can (preferably daily). Volunteers and employees can misidentify breeds or simply mistake a new black Lab for the one who'd been there for a couple of weeks and just got adopted and not realize it was a new dog.

Don't give up!

Best of luck to you and piles of jingles.

seabreeze
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thank you, everyone for your advice, encouraging thoughts, and private messages. Unfortunately, our boy is still missing.

I did look into a tracking dog that would actually track other dogs. The nearest one is about 4 hours from us, and the charge is $100 per hour. While I would love to do this, it is cost-prohibitive for us at this time.

I also decided to call a pet communicator. I decided, "What the heck?" Being as skeptical as I am, I gave her as little information as possible to try to let her tell me what she could without the possibility of being led. I did not give her my geographic location. Actually, she only asked for a physical description of the dog, which I gave her (he is a black lab). She said that an all-brown dog, not as heavy as the lab but slightly taller with longer legs kept coming through. She said he was the leader, and this dog was a buddy to Sam (the lab), and that Sam was looking for him. She asked if we had another dog or if a neighbor had a dog like the one that was coming through first. That was very eerie, and I told her yes. What I hadn't said in any earlier posts (just to keep the information to myself in case I would contact someone who might have read my posts) is that we had another dog that exactly matches that description, Sam's best buddy, who we had to have put to sleep on the same day that he disappeared. I had mentioned nothing about other dogs to her.

She said that Sam was alive and it sounded like a wind tunnel where he was. She felt like he was in a wooded area but with a field nearby, somewhere that he felt like he couldn't get out or that he was stuck. She said that he was not far away from us, and that she could tell that we live in a very rural area (which we do). She said she could see a house with different roof angles and a barn behind it to the right with part of the yard fenced in. She said she felt like he was looking towards that house or had been near that house, and the sun was up in the sky to his right. She said for me to look to see where the sun was (it was to our left), and that would help to figure out what direction he was facing. A couple of times she mentioned that she felt like he was in an echo-y area and that he was down in something and she was concerned that he could have fallen in a well or something like that.

I told her that our yard was not fenced in, but that we did have other fencing on the property that the dogs could get through. She said, "You have 3 horses...no 2 horses." Uhhh, yeah, I do. I hadn't said anything about the horses, either. Then she said that she thought she saw our driveway, which was long with some type of rocks. Yes, it's long with gravel. She said she was trying to tell Sam to go towards it.

Then she said that she could see chickens...that there were chickens around him or nearby or something. We live a good ways back off the road, but across the road and set back a a couple of hundred feet are our neighbor's four chicken houses. I had said nothing about that, either.

So after getting off the phone with her, my husband and I and some of our neighbors went back to search behind my neighbor's property all in the woods behind the chicken houses and the house. First thing I noticed once I got in the wood was the way the wind sounded...like a wind tunnel...that would be an apt description. Then as I got deeper into the woods, I ended up behind our neighbor's house and it struck me that it could exactly match the description of the house she gave me. A good portion of her back yard is fenced in with white picket, her house has several roof angles when viewed from the back, and their machinery barn is back behind the house to the right. That was a little uncanny.

We looked through the woods as thoroughly as we could and as deep and as far around the perimeter as we could. We did not find him, but somehow I feel better that I tried. I have looked in other woods near us, too, but he just isn't turning up.

Perhaps he'll come home yet.

Regarding the animal communicator I used, I would definitely use her again if the need arises. Perhaps looking for a lost dog isn't the best use of an animal communicator, but she was spot on about a couple of things that she had no way of knowing.

Thanks again, everyone.

seabreeze
Apr. 17, 2011, 05:29 PM
Regarding shelters, we are keeping watch. We live in a unique geographic location (a long, narrow, peninsula), and there is only one shelter serving the 10 mile x 70 mile location. He would have to swim across the Atlantic Ocean or the Chesapeake Bay to get "somewhere else." He could possibly reach the county to our north (20 miles from us), but we are checking with their shelter as well.

Thanks again for all your ideas and encouragement!

WoofNWhinny*
Apr. 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
I also decided to call a pet communicator. I decided, "What the heck?" Being as skeptical as I am, I gave her as little information as possible to try to let her tell me what she could without the possibility of being led.

Regarding the animal communicator I used, I would definitely use her again if the need arises. Perhaps looking for a lost dog isn't the best use of an animal communicator, but she was spot on about a couple of things that she had no way of knowing.

Thanks again, everyone.

So who was it that you used?

Make up flyers and post them EVERYWHERE -- coffee shops, hardware & grocery stores, pet shops, vet offices, feed & tack shops. Hand them out to delivery drivers (Fed Ex, UPS, whatever), mail carriers, school kids, leave some with both large and small animal vets in the area, post it on a webpage or Facebook page (and provide the link on your flyers and cards) so people can contact you easily at all hours. Make sure your cell phone is kept well-charged if you use that as your contact number.

Get an old t-shirt or socks that you've worn but NOT washed and tie strips of the cloth to bushes at the dog's nose-height in the area you think he may be or may have been. Ask your neighbor if you can put out a feeding station in the described area to encourage the dog to stay there so you can check back frequently. If you have another dog or a dog that your dog knows well (and likes), take that dog to the area and encourage him/her to pee and leave scent in the area, again to attract your lost dog to the area.

GOOD LUCK!!! :yes::yes: I'll keep my fingers crossed that your next post is an update saying that he was found safely. :)

WoofNWhinny*
Apr. 17, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have taken our very intuitive Corgi out and walked around with her several times, calling for our missing dog and watching her reaction. She does the same thing she always does when I call for them to come in...she barks and looks at me. I can't get a read on anything she might be thinking.

Try taking her out again and stay quiet, don't call to the lost dog so as not to distract the Corgi. Give her a loose lead and follow her. See where she goes. She may or may not be able to help you. Also take her to the area that you think your dog may have been and see do the same with the Corgi there, see if she picks up on the Lab's scent.

Ozone
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:06 PM
DO it! If it means ANY clue to wear your dog may be its worth it.

I sincerely hope he returns home to you soon.

jetsmom
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
I don't know if she does lost animals, but I've found Linda at http://www.ispeakanimal.com/ to be both entertaining and accurate. She made me at least half a believer, which isn't really in my nature in general.

I had her do a reading for Jet and one of my dogs. Mainly to prove to myself that it is a farce. But she convinced me by out of the blue telling me that my dog wanted his rug back. She said that there was a rug he loves and that now it's gone, and he really misses it. She then described the rug. I had a rug in the front entry that Barney used to lay on all of the time. Recently, he had a bout of colitis, and had been sick all over it, so I had cleaned it up as best I could and put it in the garage until I could get the carpet cleaner out. There's no way she could have known that.

Then she also told me that Jet was out in a pasture next to a gray mare he really liked. I finally told her that "no...he's in a stall". She insisted he was out next to a gray mare. When I got to the barn afterwards, I found out that the barn help had turned Jet out into a pasture next to Bonnie...a gray mare.
There were other things that left no doubt that it does work in some instances.

AnotherRound
Apr. 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
Try taking her out again and stay quiet, don't call to the lost dog so as not to distract the Corgi. Give her a loose lead and follow her. See where she goes. She may or may not be able to help you. Also take her to the area that you think your dog may have been and see do the same with the Corgi there, see if she picks up on the Lab's scent.

I would definitly do this

Also, that wind tunnel thing could be a culvert. Go along the roads in the area and look for streams and culverts, where streams go under roads, both paved and unpaved. As you are walking along, if you go over a culvert, climb down and look inside. Bring a flashlight. If he is injured, he might not respond to your calls, so you have to look. He could have gotten stuck, or is hiding in a culvert.

I would go back and do this with the corgi (not calling the name) as well as do it all ihn the places you already looked. He could have moved and I would re-search around your neighborhood, looking in culverts, under sheds.