PDA

View Full Version : Questions about gates

spacytracy
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
I apologize for the plethora of questions regarding our upcoming fence installation.

I would do this research in person but have been ill the past few weeks- first the flu, then bronchitis, then a frickin bowel obstruction and a hospital stay (I have crohns). So I haven't had the energy to get out to Tractor Supply and do this on my own.

The fence co. can provide us 12' hot dipped galvanized gates for $200. To me, this seems high but again, I haven't been out to check prices.

What is your opinion on the best type of gate? What does a hot dipped galvanized gate look like and what does that even mean? I've seen powder coated gates, painted gates, tube gates. My head is swirling as to what each means and what's the best. I'm planning on having hot wire with a handle for across the inside to keep them off of it.

Basically I'm looking for longevity, safety, and looks. If the fence co's price is fine, then I'll just save myself the hassle and let them bring them.

Thanks for any help!

Bluey
Apr. 15, 2011, 08:59 AM
Steel and other prices are thru the roof, so yes, you may have to pay around $200 for a gate that a few years ago was not half that, sorry.

We make our own gates and the last we figured our costs was about the same as just buying them, because we have to buy the material by the truckload and they buy it by the train load and so considerably cheaper.

So, we too have been buying already made some of the gates we have been needing.

On the painting, well, it depends on the priming and colors also if it will fade and start rusting sooner.
I think they use the different kinds of painting as a marketing tactic, just get them painted, they don't charge enough less for the unpainted ones when you have to buy the paint and do it yourself.;)

clanter
Apr. 15, 2011, 05:30 PM
What does a hot dipped galvanized gate look like and what does that even mean? !

Hot dipped galvanized is the process of appling a zinc coating to metal to stop further corrosion... this may have been done before assembly or afterwards.... the application process is by dipping the product into a bath of molten zinc

A more commonly available process would be the powder coating, but be aware not all powder coating is the same as the amount of paint that is applied varies with the process.

ReSomething
Apr. 16, 2011, 02:17 PM
As stated hot dipped galv is, or should be, the completed gate dunked in a vat of molten zinc. It'll be silvery grey in color like a tin pail or trash can and it is the better coating, but it isn't that pretty. But, our powder coated pretty red painted pen gates are now more of a dull not so pretty brick color where the galv pasture gate looks pretty much the same and if properly cleaned before being dipped will last a very long time.

Can you ask the fence guy who manufactures his gates? - could be the same as what TSC will have.

tasia
Apr. 16, 2011, 08:03 PM
If you plan on having larger equipment going thru the gates, fertilizer trucks, spraying equip etc, I would go with a 14 foot gate. Good luck on your fencing project and feel better :)

Bravestrom
Apr. 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
If you plan on having larger equipment going thru the gates, fertilizer trucks, spraying equip etc, I would go with a 14 foot gate. Good luck on your fencing project and feel better :)

I would actually prefer two 8 foot gates - much easier to handle and then you can stick one and only open the smaller one as necessary.

My pet peeve about gate installations - mounting them too low - then they get caught in the mud/snow. I have had my husband remount all of our gates this eye - five years after they were installed because I am sick to death of trying to move them in the winter and through the mud - they actually got mudded in and then the mud hardened and I couldn't get them open. Also, take a lot of time to think about which way, side of the fence and how they open - so you can open them flat. As well you want to make sure you are not in a corner with a gate.

Bluey
Apr. 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
Our gates in the horse pens are 14' and in the pastures 16'.
Nice to have those when it is muddy and you have to get a pickup sliding thru there.;)

Two gates need a post in the middle to keep them from blowing outwards in the wind and chasing one or the other when you want to close them.

If you are going to have two gates and no middle post that can come off the ground, make them larger than the space, so they will latch against each other, like two ten foot gates for a 16' space, so they will overlap and hold steady.

fordtraktor
Apr. 17, 2011, 08:49 AM
We have powder-coated gates made of a thicker steel than the tube-type gate TSC usually carries. Those gates get too beaten up with pawing horses, etc. and are easier to bend which makes them unsafe faster. Ours are a lot sturdier and heavier. Heavy is good and yes, more expensive. The metal is sort of square in shape instead of the round, thin metal of a cheaper gate. You will not regret spending the extra $$ on a nice gate, nothing looks worse than gates that are beaten to death.

I really like those gates that are filled with mesh for safety reasons, but don't know if they would last.

If the gates are high-quality I think the price you were quoted is not out of line. I would want to look at them first though to make sure they are what you want and are a real step up from a TSC-type gate.

judybigredpony
Apr. 17, 2011, 10:49 AM
TSC gates are NOT of the same quality usually..they are lighter cheaper and will bend if a horse slams into them.

W/ gates so like so much else you get what you pay for.

Check the heft of the gates you do not want flimsey light gates.
We paid $211. per gate powder coated dark green (picked up not delivered) when we bought more than 10, 2 years ago, they are SO much heavier and better quality than the Hot Dipped Galvanized TSC gates I cheaped on for 2 small paddocks.
My green gates looks great!! The bottom panels are mesh which helps keeping dogs out and enhances the look!!

Bluey
Apr. 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
TSC here handles different kinds of gates, some heavy duty ones.
In one brand they carry, Behlen, I think, the medium gray ones are yard gates, very light, the green pasture ones medium and the dark red ones heavy duty, that you can crowd cattle against them, we use those.