PDA

View Full Version : Fan size

ayrabz
Apr. 14, 2011, 08:25 AM
Ok, so I've chosen this fan:

http://www.qcsupply.com/commercial-industrial/fans-ventilation-controls/basket-fans/durafan-indoor-outdoor-high-velocity-wall-mount-fan-non-oscillating.html

(hope the link works)

since, it has the encased motor, and is good for indoor / outdoor...Now, I'm not going with the oscillating option, but I am looking to position these up in a front inside corner of each stall (or outside, doesn't matter) and point them down at 'center' of stall so to speak. My stalls are smaller, and my roof is tin/older, and I wanted the encased /outdoor ok motor type fan. So, I'm happy with this choice, (I'm going to make winter 'covers' for them, like a drawstring type pillowcase) and the cord will go thru some mouse proof pipe/conduit.
what I do want in re: opinions on is this: since my stalls/overhead area is smaller...what 'size' fan do you think would be equivalent/needed? I know our 'box fans' are 20" but, I'm not sure that equates to fan 'size' for the route I"m going, since I don't need/want the big 'box'....
Which size would you guys get?

TIA!

beaulilly
Jul. 5, 2011, 09:13 PM
I came on to do a search for DuraFan since I've also decided this fan is the best for the price. I see you planned to use them the same way I am so have a few questions for you.

Did you end up going with these? How are they holding up? Are they very loud? Good or bad overall?

Thanks

ayrabz
Jul. 6, 2011, 06:12 AM
Well, would love to update that I had already bought , received, and have been using them, but my electric work STILL isn't completed. (Don't ask) SIGH.

Anyway....I'm still intent on this 'type'...just wish they offered the 18 inch in black.....

Here IS one I've found that does:

http://www.jdmfg.com/index.cfm?event=pageview&contentPieceID=6820

so, I'm going to compare: ratings/features/and prices before making up my mind.

HOPEFULLY (!!) I'll have them soon!

best of luck!

manentail
Jul. 6, 2011, 08:26 AM
If a barn fan shorts out you loose your barn in a fire and possibly your horses too, does anyone worry about this?

ayrabz
Jul. 6, 2011, 09:14 AM
manentail:
yes, I think its a big concern...thats why I've chosen to go with an approved fan with motor fully enclosed, rated for indoor / outdoor, and all on GFCI . I also like the fact these are rated for use with misting systems/water cooling for the run in.
edited to add: as well, the outlet for these will be also on a switch just inside the barn doors, so it is only 'hot' when in use.