PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation for the clueless

jennywho
Apr. 14, 2011, 02:07 AM
Help, I am trying to figure out some sort of irrigation system for our pastures and have decided that a waterreel or big gun of some sort is probably going to be the most effective. That's all I know, seriously.

I have been searching for a helpful website, but so far no luck.

I have no idea what size pump I need, what size sprinkler, if I need some kind of filtration system, how it all connects to the irrigation water that we get from the canal etc, etc.

Anyone know of a good place to get started? I feel like I don't even know enough to ask educated questions, I need some sort of irrigation for dummies site. (Yes I googled it, only found info on drip irrigation systems lol)

I have checked out some of the product sites, but I need even more basic than that to get started I think.

TIA,

karlymacrae
Apr. 14, 2011, 05:38 AM
You could get some kind of consultant to come to your property and give a professional opinion. It would probably be free of charge/low cost, especially if you're buying your supplies from the company that helps you out.

SkipHiLad4me
Apr. 14, 2011, 07:38 AM
Check with your local Extension office or Soil and Water office. Especially if you live in state that has swine farms, the extension service would have experience with the irrigation equipment and calibrating the sprayers.

Tom King
Apr. 14, 2011, 08:25 AM
Do a Google search for "big gun irrigation" and you will find all sorts of info like:

http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/Equip/Trav.htm

Kifco, a manufacturer of the reels, has all sorts of charts on their website.

It takes about 27,000 gallons to put an inch on one acre, so you need a big water source, more horsepower than probably from any electric pump that you would want to operate, and real dollars to get it set up.

nightsong
Apr. 17, 2011, 02:25 AM
This does not sound like a job for the clueless. Your county Extension Agent should set you straight.