PDA

View Full Version : Would Gelding Make a Good Endurance Horse?

Kynesha
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
** this is not an ad - just looking for feedback on best way to advertise/sell my horse **

I have a 9 yr old Arab/QH gelding who is for sale. He's green because I haven't kept up with his training since I brought him when he was 5. He's very forward, lots of energy (needs to be ridden 4 or 5x a week), good size bone, size 1 feet, loves to work, comfy gaits, can be spooky (prefers the "Haul A$$ And Ask Questions Later" method) when not worked for extended periods of time. My confidence is basically nill right now so that probably hasn't helped the spooking.

My questions are:

Is he a candidate for endurance or competitive trail?

Is this a market I can advertise him in?

What can I do to improve his marketablity in this area?

Thank you!

HPFarmette
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
When I said about my Arab, "He's my endurance horse" the h/j guy said "Yeah you have to endure him".
Sure your horse is a candidate...I think you should advertise him as a prospect and tell people basically what you told us. And anything about any trail experience he's had. Somebody looking for an endurance horse is probably going to be aware of/ not put off by spooks in a green horse. You could say "needs miles". As long as he's sound, somebody ought to be willing to help him grow mentally.

JackSprats Mom
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:57 PM
Gonna guess that most endurance folks (least all the ones I know) are not looking for an untrained, haul ass spooky horse...just cause he goes forward does not = endurance.

I would put him in training with someone for 90 days, get a brain on him and then market him as green.

Depending on his conformation would depend on which area you want to market him

brightskyfarm
Apr. 13, 2011, 07:48 PM
I have to agree with JackSpratsMom on this one. Forward doesnt = endurance. (or even CTR)

I have well trained track ponies for sale that climb mountains, swim rivers, are fit for 25-40 and 2-day 50's, plus, I will say Bombproof! (as the local Army Reserve does set of bombs on a regular basis)> that are advertised at fair market prices, however, the market is slow (plus its been cold and raining, I think folks are still waiting for spring :lol: ).

Try offering a consignment with a local lesson stable.
Find your local trainer, ask their suggestions, they may *like* your horse ! and see potential; either sell outright or train with sales as a goal.
Long shot> post a *want to trade* on craigslist.

Definitely price compare your area for his marketable worth, simply to be informed.

Kynesha
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured forward didn't equal endurance, but thought forwardness was needed or liked.

I've started working with a new trainer/instructor so I will see if she has an opening as I also think some training would be helpful for him.

Thanks again!

rainechyldes
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:25 PM
as an endurance rider.. looking at this at an ad... I get:

9 yrs old, obviously well behind in his schooling, ie. green enough to toss a saddle on, and hold on!
no competition experience or experience of any kind.

Right now in this market - you'd have to give him to me, I wouldn't pay for him.

Not to say he's not a nice built horse, etc etc - but he's a project - he has..potential.. see what I'm getting at.

Also, the whole attitude of lots of energy + likes to spook! means he'd be a good endurance horse buy him! would mostly make most endurance riders do the eyeroll behind your back.

get him some training, with a good trainer. and go from there.

HydroPHILE
Apr. 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
as an endurance rider.. looking at this at an ad... I get:

9 yrs old, obviously well behind in his schooling, ie. green enough to toss a saddle on, and hold on!
no competition experience or experience of any kind.

Right now in this market - you'd have to give him to me, I wouldn't pay for him.

Not to say he's not a nice built horse, etc etc - but he's a project - he has..potential.. see what I'm getting at.

Also, the whole attitude of lots of energy + likes to spook! means he'd be a good endurance horse buy him! would mostly make most endurance riders do the eyeroll behind your back.

get him some training, with a good trainer. and go from there.

While not an endurance rider, I would have to agree with the above post.