PDA

View Full Version : Horrible fence paint smell. How long does this last. ugh.

redhorse5
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
The fence painter are here. I have never had this done because we just bought the farm 4 summers ago and are just now having them repainted.

How long does this horrible odor last. It is even in the house to the point that I have a blasting headache. How long is it before we can put the horses back in the pasture?

This is really bad.

Rbow
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:15 PM
What kind of paint are you using?

redhorse5
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
It is an oil based paint. I did not purchase it but it is used around here in Lexington all the time on the black fences. Has a smell like Kerosene.

MunchkinsMom
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:52 PM
Last time I had the fences painted the smell lasted for about a week. We didn't restrict the horses from the pasture, they were turned out as soon as the painters finished. It dried fast, but smelled pretty strongly for about a week.

Rbow
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:09 PM
It is an oil based paint. I did not purchase it but it is used around here in Lexington all the time on the black fences. Has a smell like Kerosene.

I wonder if it's Lexington Fencecoat Black?

I'm getting ready to paint fence but I'm using Fencecoat Pro. I wouldn't think it could last too terribly long in open air. At least not at the level where it's giving you a headache.

Hope the wind dilutes it soon.