PDA

View Full Version : KHRC Denies Dutrow License

MightyBobbyMagee
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
It's a miracle! (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62450/khrc-committee-denies-dutrows-license) ;)

evntr5218
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:01 PM
i couldnt agree more. long overdue!!!!!!

Xctrygirl
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:54 PM
A good move by Kentucky but expect that now when the Ny hearing comes, he'll likely lawyer up.

He was not represented or accompanied by counsel today. That may change in his home state and base.

We just have to wait and see.

~Emily

Glimmerglass
Apr. 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
Then again Patrick Biancone returned to saddle horses in Kentucky.

Xctrygirl
Apr. 13, 2011, 03:09 PM
hang on Glimmer...

Let's compare apples to apples..

Biancone's penalty resulted from an offense that violated their rules and those of the racing association in play:

http://migration.kentucky.gov/Newsroom/environment/10-5biancone.htm

Dutrow has been suspended in Kentucky before, and this is not his first offense, either in the state of Kentucky or nationwide. And given the current pending case in NY, I believe that is adding momentum to the current cries for an all out national ban.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110413/BUSINESS/304130092/Kentucky-racing-regulators-deny-license-to-Kentucky-Derby-winning-trainer-Richard-Dutrow?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAG E

Excerpt:

Dutrow trained 2008 Derby winner Big Brown but was suspended for a medication violation incurred at a Churchill Downs race the same weekend. In late 2009, he agreed to a 30-day suspension ending a 16-month saga stemming from the medication testing violation in Salute the Count’s second-place finish in a race on the 2008 Kentucky Oaks undercard.

~Emily

evntr5218
Apr. 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
dutrow has also been quoted in both the bloodhorse and thoroughbred times admitting that half of his 60 or so violations are in fact true and the other half are "misunderstandings". i still say 30 is a little excessice and enough is enough. its not necessary and how many misunderstanding can one have. 1 or 2 ok but his number is ridiculous.
how long has christophe clement been training all over the counrtry???
in all those years how many ruling have there been against him??? absolutely none!!!

jennywho
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Yet another positive step for the sport. I am always cautious being that P Val is STILL riding, but even one day is a step in the right direction.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
This means Amen Hallelujah in the Vinery Madison (Grade 1) April 14 and Court Vision in the Maker’s Mark Mile (Grade 1- Turf) April 15 are both scratched from each respective race.

Further according to John Veitch speaking to TVG's Todd Schrupp a trainer cannot (after a scratch) transfer the horses to another trainer and remain entered.

So both horses are knocked out. Hence Rick was rather upset to say the least. The only recourse would be if a successful court injunction was obtained to stay the license denial.

Xctrygirl
Apr. 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
I will say that he made a decent point that they shouldn't accept entries from a trainer who doesn't hold a license in their jurisdiction.

If you know you want to run in a race in a different jurisdiction than you currently have a license for, you should get the paperwork done ahead of time so you can run.

On this one point I agree with Rick Dutrow.

~Emily

hitchinmygetalong
Apr. 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
As a long-suffering secretary, I had to laugh out loud when I read this:

He also said any misinformation on his license applications were not intentional but were due to the fact others completed the paperwork for him, and he just signed it.

It's the assistant's/secretary's/whoever's job to prep the paperwork, it's the signatory's RESPONSIBILITY to carefully review it before putting pen to paper. I just love a person who is willing to throw the minion under the bus.

Very glad I don't work for him!

Xctrygirl
Apr. 13, 2011, 06:02 PM
That cracks me up!!!

I am an office manager and my firm tends to turn into a Greyhound stop when things go badly. There is no end to the stream of people tossed under the buses for superiors making mistakes!

Dispatcher
Apr. 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Since so many disagreements and issues in racing are met with "it's a business", then he should just chalk this up to it being the price of doing business and move along.

Acertainsmile
Apr. 14, 2011, 02:36 PM
Looks like Dutrow is being allowed to run Amen Hallelujah in the Vinery Madison April 14 and Court Vision in the Maker’s Mark Mile.

Xctrygirl
Apr. 14, 2011, 02:45 PM
Double, triple and quadruple Ugh.

What was the point if they're not going to be able to win against an injunction.

~Em

jenarby
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
Isn't that crazy? He actually got a restraining order against the KHRC to postpone the license denial so he could run his horses! Talk about a bunch of BS!

evntr5218
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:48 PM
:confused::confused:
Isn't that crazy? He actually got a restraining order against the KHRC to postpone the license denial so he could run his horses! Talk about a bunch of BS!

why even have rules or regulations if they arent able to be reinforced?!?!?! honestly i dont feel sorry for the owners. unless the live under a rather large rock its not like they are fully aware of his many many fines and suspensions. they knew the kind of trainer they have.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 14, 2011, 04:50 PM
Judge Phillip J. Shepherd of the Franklin Circuit Court (http://courts.ky.gov/counties/Franklin/) (48th Judicial Circuit, Division 1), Frankfort, KY did grant an injunction - which was the only way for Dutrow to combat the action - however the Daily Racing Form noted a minor error in the Judge's written ruling (http://www.drf.com/news/court-maneuvering-leaves-amen-hallelujahs-status-vinery-madison-air):

[Sheppard] wrote in a one-page ruling issued on Wednesday that Dutrow “will suffer irreparable injury if the court does not grant injunctive relief.” Shepherd also wrote that the decision by the Licensing Review Committee to deny the license “has demonstrated the existence of substantial legal questions regarding the right to due process in the license renewal process.”

The ruling, however, contains a factual error. In it, Shepherd wrote that Amen Hallelujah was entered in the Vinery Madison “over two weeks prior to the action of the commission.” In fact, the horse was entered on Tuesday.