PDA

View Full Version : Using Twitter to buy a share in a racehorse!

texang73
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
Oh technology! :lol:

Horses First Racing Twitter Syndicate Horse (http://www.horsesfirstracing.com/marketplace/item_twitterhorse_syndicate.html)

From their email newsletter:

It started yesterday morning around eight o'clock. Jeremy had already travelled to Newmarket to watch 200 young horses work prior to the Craven meeting breeze-up sales this week. Owner and well-known industry figure James Knight tweeted his possible interest in getting a young horse. Eamonn was, unusually for him, already up the tower at the farm and helping out by timing the horses as they worked. Having a few minutes between lots Eamonn tweeted back "how about a twitter syndicate? 50 members pay £400 each and £50 a month - gives us a budget of £20,000 for a horse". James immediately loved the idea and re-tweeted it which is when the fun started.

The response was instantaneous and overwhelmingly positive: within an hour there were dozens of members signing up from Gibraltar, Ireland, Spain and throughout the UK. Later in the day the Racing Post picked up the story and the idea spread faster and more widely. By this morning new members from Singapore, America and Australia had also signed up and press interest has continued to increase with reporters from as far away as Australia getting in touch. Eamonn commented "this really was a touch of déjà vu for me. Being around when the Internet first got started commercially I was lucky enough to see how quickly ideas can take off. In this instance I have to give credit to trainer Jeremy Gask as he actually mentioned the idea a few weeks ago. I think it's a racing certainty that we will set up more of these syndicates."

Pretty innovative way to buy a horse though! :yes: