PDA

View Full Version : Combination Issues

parlay505
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
My lease horse has been lame for the past two months, (she's just now getting back into normal work and staying sound), and my friend offered me her horse to ride. My friend's horse is an awesome, super duper hot TB gelding. He is very hot, but I feel very safe on him and he's a very honest jumper.

I've noticed lately that I've been overly anxious about jumping in and outs or combo's with <2 strides. Give me a single fence or lines with 3+ strides in between and I'm perfectly fine, but once the jumps get closer together, I get really nervous. I find myself worrying about get a bad distance into the combo and running into problems in the middle. I've never had a really bad experience with combo's, so basically, I psych myself out for no reason. The horse definitely has no issues with them, (he will jump anything I put in front of him and is very scopey). And it's not like these jumps are big either, (3'-3'3). My leg is very secure and I have no troubles staying with him over the jumps, it's just going to that first fence where I have a billion things going on in my head!

Does anyone have advice for getting over irrational combination fears?!

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
My lease horse has been lame for the past two months, (she's just now getting back into normal work and staying sound), and my friend offered me her horse to ride. My friend's horse is an awesome, super duper hot TB gelding. He is very hot, but I feel very safe on him and he's a very honest jumper.

I've noticed lately that I've been overly anxious about jumping in and outs or combo's with <2 strides. Give me a single fence or lines with 3+ strides in between and I'm perfectly fine, but once the jumps get closer together, I get really nervous. I find myself worrying about get a bad distance into the combo and running into problems in the middle. I've never had a really bad experience with combo's, so basically, I psych myself out for no reason. The horse definitely has no issues with them, (he will jump anything I put in front of him and is very scopey). And it's not like these jumps are big either, (3'-3'3). My leg is very secure and I have no troubles staying with him over the jumps, it's just going to that first fence where I have a billion things going on in my head!

Does anyone have advice for getting over irrational combination fears?!

Do some at 2ft. Easy and no anxiety? Put them up to 2'6''
I would keep schooling over them at a lower height until you work your way up to 3'-3'3''

The jumps may not be what you consider big, but if the exercise is giving you anxiety make life a little easier and lower them until your more comfortable. Then gradually raise them until your jumping them with no fear!

ExJumper
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:33 PM
I have the opposite suggestion. I think that part of the issue is getting the pace at the height in question. I think it'll be fine if you drop the height a little bit to start with, but the feel of cantering down to a combination set a 3' is quite different from one set at 2'6", and to change the heights around in combination means a LOT of changing the striding to make it make sense. Jumping a one stride at 2' when it's set for 3' is just going to freak you out even more!

Now, I love combinations because you don't have to think very hard. You get to the first fence and then you count. If you got there nice, you sit chilly and count. If you got there and chipped, you leg and count. If you launched in and have a big strided horse, you settle and count.

I'd focus on not thinking about the second fence. Just get to the first fence and count.

Maybe that sounds too simple, but if your basics are there and your horse is broke and knows his job, it's just a matter of you doing it enough so that you feel like it's no big deal. If you have the room, make it a triple combination so that you on;y have to worry about the first fence. You say that you don't worry about a four stride? So make a four to a one. Ride your first fence like you always do, then just count to four, jump, count to one, jump, and you're done!

Good luck!

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:47 PM
Yea I was thinking that jumping it at 2ft might just make the horse run to get the striding. I still think that taking it down one or two holes might work though :)

pattnic
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
I would try going through a gymnastic with my eyes closed. It is the horse's job to figure out the gymnastic, so if the horse is honest, you shouldn't have a problem. (I would definitely make sure to have a ground person, though).

Reagan
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:00 PM
I don't know if this will help or not but what about setting a 3 to a 2. You are fine riding into a 3 so start there then you are set up for the two stride and you won't have to do much to get in well to the 2 stride. Once you are comfortable there, do a 3 to a 1. Then a 2 to a 2 etc. Idk if that is something that would help put your mind at ease being confident into the 3 or not.

I also like the idea of closing your eyes but that might just psyc you out more.