PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Tulane and Northeastern University grads or students...

VandyLover
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:39 PM
I've done a search and can't quite find what I'm looking for.

At this point, I've been accepted to all of my schools and I'm trying to narrow down the list, as I only have 15 days to figure out where I'm going to spend the next four years of my life! :eek: I think I have it narrowed down to Tulane in New Orleans or Northeastern in Boston, and MAYBE Boston University is still on the list as well. So these are my questions for you...what have your experiences been riding in these cities? Is it possible to get to barns on public transportation? In Boston, what are some relatively close barns, as Northeastern does not have a riding program? Do any of you ride at Equest farms in New Orleans?

Sorry for the length, and thanks for any input!

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know about equest, but I rode with the old captain/coach of the team and it looked like she improved while at Tulane.

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
Oh and the local police horses are housed at equest so the team takes lessons on them which I think is super cool :)

YankeeLawyer
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:52 PM
I advise you to select the school that is the best for you academically and in terms of maximizing your future options as opposed to focusing on which has a better barn in the area.

I went to Tulane Law and Brown undergrad, so I am familiar with NOLA and the Boston area. Both do have riding options. Tulane also now has an equestrian team as well.

http://tulaneequestrianteam.wordpress.com/

I strongly recommend Tulane over Northeastern. I think BU would be a closer call but I still would favor Tulane.

Rel6
Apr. 12, 2011, 10:53 PM
I advise you to select the school that is the best for you academically and in terms of maximizing your future options as opposed to focusing on which has a better barn in the area.

I went to Tulane Law and Brown undergrad, so I am familiar with NOLA and the Boston area. Both do have riding options. Tulane also now has an equestrian team as well.

http://tulaneequestrianteam.wordpress.com/

I strongly recommend Tulane over Northeastern. I think BU would be a closer call but I still would favor Tulane.

Yea but why can't the barn be a deciding factor? I know I was equally torn between schools and the riding team cinched it for my current college.

Twiceshy
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:56 AM

Agreed with YankeeLawyer.

To partially answer one of your questions, you're going to have a hard time finding a barn in the Boston area accessible by public transportation. Not impossible, but not easy or convenient to campus. If having a car is a possibility, then that changes the game considerably.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on being accepted at some really great schools. :yes:

Riley0522
Apr. 13, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'm a Northeastern grad and have a killer job, making 2-3x what most people who graduated the same year as me are currently making. You'll have a hard time finding riding around Northeastern, but you'll be so busy your first few years being a college student, I really wouldn't base my decision off of barn proximity.

I took my first 3 years of college off from riding (my program was a 5 year, I'm pretty sure NU is working a 4 year option into most of their programs now). I recommend you strongly consider NU because their strong point is involving EXPERIENCE into your education, which is what you need to get a competitive job in an economy such as this.

Good luck!

Rio Blanco
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
Definately don't go to Tulane just for the riding program :) Just saying...

VandyLover
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the input! At this point, I feel relatively indifferent between the schools as far as academics and student life in general goes, so I was looking to another way to making my decision. I did a stayover at Tulane and loved it, and I've visited Northeastern twice and I was very impressed with their facilities and I love the city of Boston. However, I do have family in New Orleans and I'm familiar with and do like the area. Also, as I aspire to be a dentist or orthodontist, I'll have more chances to get up to Boston for graduate school! A car is definitely not an option and I know that I need to be riding with at least semi-regularity to be happy.

quietann
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:51 PM
Not a grad or student at either place, but I work at one of the hospitals near Northeastern and know the city pretty well. Sadly, getting to a barn by public transit is virtually impossible in Boston. At one point there were a few places that were reachable by transit and then a short walk, but they're all gone now :(

Both schools are good schools, but in very different environments.

Good luck, in any case!

Rel6
Apr. 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
Definately don't go to Tulane just for the riding program :) Just saying...

I'm echoing that...but it might be better than nothing? :/

Artemis
Apr. 13, 2011, 11:04 PM
As far as Equest goes, I wouldn't suggest it.
There are however a few good barns outside of the actual city but not within public transport range. These few are about 30-40 minute drives.

http://www.taviaequine.com/

http://huntersbluff.com/

http://www.covingtonequestrian.com/index.htm

http://www.northshoreequest.com/

VandyLover
Apr. 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
Ericalynn...
Is there a specific reason you would advise against Equest? Since the Equestrian team rides out of that barn, I would have free rides there at least twice a week. Since cars aren't allowed on campus (only 19% of the student body has a car), I don't see myself being able to drive to any other farm with much regularity at all.

Artemis
Apr. 13, 2011, 11:22 PM
They cannot keep any decent trainers. I swear they go through trainers like someone changes their underwear. They have horrible turnout. Its just small square paddocks with no grass.
The only nice thing is they host a good amount of schooling shows, and they have two pretty nice arenas.
I rode there for about a month, and I had a different trainer each week. Which I don't mind riding with different trainers, but if I plan on learning anything then I want consistency.

linquest
Apr. 14, 2011, 01:09 AM
I'm familiar with both schools/areas. Will PM you.

heartinrye
Apr. 14, 2011, 07:38 AM
Also realize that if you "need" to ride semi-regularly, that most barns in Boston go south for the winter... also, I don't know where you're from, but realize that riding in the winter in new england takes a lot more time because of the 1) warm up 2)crazy non-turned out horses 3) cool-down processes...

betsyk
Apr. 14, 2011, 09:09 AM
If you don't have a car, riding in the Boston area is going to be HARD. I grew up in that area and can't even imagine how you would do it, and also had a friend who went to Northeastern in the past few years and I know she would beg, borrow and steal rides with friends to their barns just to smell horses, but had no real means of riding regularly. She even had a hard time finding rides to volunteer at a nearby therapeutic riding program.

McLeanHunterRider
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:44 PM
If you don't have a car, riding in the Boston area is going to be HARD. I grew up in that area and can't even imagine how you would do it, and also had a friend who went to Northeastern in the past few years and I know she would beg, borrow and steal rides with friends to their barns just to smell horses, but had no real means of riding regularly. She even had a hard time finding rides to volunteer at a nearby therapeutic riding program.
Ditto to that. I'm a grad student at BC, and I pretty much gave up any hope that I had of riding in Boston. I don't have a car and there are no barns that are accessible by public transport. But, Boston is such a cool town that you quickly find other things to fill your time (for me it's training for a sprint triathlon and running a lot). Boston is the best college town in the world :yes:

stillknotreel
Apr. 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Echoing what others have said; Don't pick a school based on the riding program. You will find that for the four years you are there that you have a lot going on and keeping you busy. I personally picked schools that (sadly) did not have riding programs. Though I do not regret my choices and I have been able to ride consistently while being in school.

Everyone I spoke to prior to going off to college told me the same thing; Pick a school that meets your needs academically and socially, not based on the riding program. For a lot of the schools I looked at the riding program was based below my current level. It's great to have the option of a riding team or program, but I wouldn't make it a priority. Where there is a will, there's a way. There are plenty of barns in the Boston area, and I'm sure you could find a way to make the time to get there. A good friend of mine went to BC and rode at Grazing Fields during her years there at both the college and the law school. Though she didn't ride daily, she rode enough to be able to show in the warmer months and to keep in shape. She made it work, and saying she was ridiculously busy is/was an understatement.